saltydeath

Qigong:The Secret of Youth book by Yang Jwing-Ming

Has anybody done any of the body strengthening exercises for Qigong? I just read "Qigong:The Secret of Youth" by Yang Jwing-Ming, which is the most concise guide I've seen so far, but it's still lacking some practical info. He talks about two different branches:

1. Yi Jing Jing: Mostly strenthening the body through striking yourself with wooden rods, massage, and herbs. The striking isn't so much to toughen you to pain but to raise your chi to the surface.

2. Xi Sui Jing: The mental, visualization side of the practice that involves "marrow washing." It also has a lot of exercises where you tie weights to your junk and swing them, gradually building up the weight.

While it's a pretty thorough book, it doesn't say a lot about which herbs are used, or what precautions to take to not damage your junk. So I was wondering if any folks had any experience with this kind of training, combining the physical with the visualization exercises.

Hey,

I'm just now starting month four of that YiJinJing.

The prescription for the herbs is in an appendix in the back, in chinese if i recall correctly. You can probably ask for it at a TCM clinic. The easiest way to not "damage your junk" (I assume you refer to your dick) is to not have any sexual activity at all. Or so they say. I'm not so clever, I continue to have sex, but without ejaculation, which most people will tell you does more damage than good... Also, I don't use the herbs he writes about, I use gotu kola, arcting root and goji berries. If you're going to use the prescribed herbs, it could also be a good idea to go to frequent checkups at the same clinic, and have them know what you're up to. They can probably help you keep balanced. It's easy to get waaaay too yang with this stuff, and you will notice when that happens.

It's good, because it's such a concrete guide to practice. Just remember to be disciplined about it, it really shows if you miss a day of practice, or if you ejaculate. You need to harness and build the jing well, or you wont feel the qi build up in the tissue/dantian. At least that's what I've got from the first three months, still a long way to go. I've just started feeling the qi build in the dantien, which is a really interesting feeling methinks.

Tell me if you start, it would be really nice to have a correspondence with someone else doing the same practice, most people are probably scared away due to the demanding practice schedule.

So I was wondering if any folks had any experience with this kind of training, combining the physical with the visualization exercises.

Yeah, a little.

YJM has some good DVDs out on embryonic breathing and small universe. Focus on those! They are the yi jin aspect. To do basic marrow washing, simply massage yourself and exercise after qigong.

Another thing he mentions in his Root of Chinese Qigong book, is "qi shield" type exercises to strengthen guardian qi. This is also a basic form of marrow washing, which is a visualization exercise as well.

One that I like is called Golden Bubble (from Shuichuan qigong). You just feel a golden bubble surrounding your body, which draws erratic energy out of the body, and also keeps it from entering.

One that I like is called Golden Bubble (from Shuichuan qigong). You just feel a golden bubble surrounding your body, which draws erratic energy out of the body, and also keeps it from entering.

Interesting, that sounds like what I experienced when I got my breaths up over a minute. I'm working my way back there :D