Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Ready to move on

Yes in order to blossom you must leave everything behind. The Buddha, Lao Tze, Hsu Yun, and an endless list of yogis and yoginis have detached themselves from society in order to purify their minds and attain spiritual liberation.

So do you have what it takes to take that important step and the one that will change entire your current perception and experience of things? If you do, remember that it will be damn hard but this effort won't be fruitless. Remember to always follow your heart regardless of difficulties and you will eventually succeed.

Good luck if you do.

See you in Nirvana. :)

Non-attachment is a state of mind. One can be in the midst of life and yet have attained the realization that all things are transient, unsatisfactory and non-self. These are the 'monks' and mystics that blend well into society,

in the world but not of it, so to speak.

Some people can afford to leave everything behind and lead a hermit's existence, yet carry with them their mind-burdens even though they are far away from the cares of the world. Better are those that live daily with the stress and strife, yet whose minds are unfettered and unaffected by the tedium. This is the radical challenge of the modern-day yogi.

Its easy to leave, yet when the mind is tamed, there is no difference between that or this.

Where we are is the perfect starting place to begin looking into the true nature of mind.

I am leaving nothing behind. Everything goes with me no matter where I go.

(Those are words with much deeper meaning than can be seen directly in the words.)

Peace & Love!

According to Sheng Yen, when Buddhism came to China, it could no longer afford to be the forest-dwelling tradition it was in India. In India, there was a strong tradition of lay people supporting the monks, but when Buddhism came to China, there was no such cultural heritage in place. The pragmatic spirit of China affected Buddhism in the flowering of Zen (Chan). Now, it was time to cultivate in life, not away from it. "A day without work is a day without food," according to Hui Hai.

This was driven home for me when I found this quote by Hui Neng:

Freedom from form means detachment from forms in the midst of forms. Freedom from thought means having no thoughts in the midst of thought.

Yet this is just an extension of the three marks of existence. Having thought is a state. Accordingly, it is impermanent, not self, and unsatisfying. Having no thoughts is a state. Accordingly, it is impermanent, not self, and unsatisfying. Why cultivate the impermanent, the not self, and the unsatisfying?

On the other hand, if we don't, then how do we learn it is empty?

Non-attachment is a state of mind. One can be in the midst of life and yet have attained the realization that all things are transient, unsatisfactory and non-self. These are the 'monks' and mystics that blend well into society,

in the world but not of it, so to speak.

Some people can afford to leave everything behind and lead a hermit's existence, yet carry with them their mind-burdens even though they are far away from the cares of the world. Better are those that live daily with the stress and strife, yet whose minds are unfettered and unaffected by the tedium. This is the radical challenge of the modern-day yogi.

Its easy to leave, yet when the mind is tamed, there is no difference between that or this.

Where we are is the perfect starting place to begin looking into the true nature of mind.

According to Sheng Yen, when Buddhism came to China, it could no longer afford to be the forest-dwelling tradition it was in India. In India, there was a strong tradition of lay people supporting the monks, but when Buddhism came to China, there was no such cultural heritage in place. The pragmatic spirit of China affected Buddhism in the flowering of Zen (Chan). Now, it was time to cultivate in life, not away from it. "A day without work is a day without food," according to Hui Hai.

This was driven home for me when I found this quote by Hui Neng:

Yet this is just an extension of the three marks of existence. Having thought is a state. Accordingly, it is impermanent, not self, and unsatisfying. Having no thoughts is a state. Accordingly, it is impermanent, not self, and unsatisfying. Why cultivate the impermanent, the not self, and the unsatisfying?

On the other hand, if we don't, then how do we learn it is empty?

That is one of the best quotes i have ever come across, Forest. Thanks so much. Superbly profound and very precise. Thank you again.

May i just ask if you think there is a subtle difference between detachment and non-attachment? One of the ways i perceive detachment is that it is the willful act of the withdrawing, or shutting off, of oneself from a situation or condition, whereas non-attachment to me hints at one being fully integrated into a situation/condition, yet is not burdened nor overly affected by such things as fear, anticipation, worry, and other common factors that seem to weigh the average person down. Your thoughts? :)

_/\_

I fully understand your point of view but to attain the highest level one must find a quiet environment to cultivate and attain ling shen level, or immortal spirit; that is, one that does not require a vehicle anymore. That state will lead to samsaric freedom.

That is one of the best quotes i have ever come across, Forest. Thanks so much. Superbly profound and very precise. Thank you again.

I enjoyed it as well. I too thank you.

Peace & Love!

I fully understand your point of view but to attain the highest level one must find a quiet environment to cultivate and attain ling shen level, or immortal spirit; ...

I don't agree with this. Higher levels of awareness can be achieved anywhere, even while standing in a crowded bus in a large city while on the way to work. Higher levels of awareness are exclusive of our manifest reality.

Peace & Love!

I fully understand your point of view but to attain the highest level one must find a quiet environment to cultivate and attain ling shen level, or immortal spirit; that is, one that does not require a vehicle anymore. That state will lead to samsaric freedom.

Noisy, quiet, hot, cold, high, low.

It doesn't matter.

Desiring freedom from samsara is still samsara.

Nirvana is not somewhere to go.

You're already here, the only obstacle is the belief that there must be something better.

Higher levels of awareness are exclusive of our manifest reality.

I think it would be equally valid to say that higher levels of awareness are inclusive of our manifest reality.

I think it would be equally valid to say that higher levels of awareness are inclusive of our manifest reality.

Okay. I left that part out intentionally. Hehehe. Just trying to sound a little Buddhist.

Peace & Love!

Okay. I left that part out intentionally. Hehehe. Just trying to sound a little Buddhist.

Peace & Love!

I figured as much...

;)

Not good enough. Who told you that I said Nirvana is a place to go?

If we consider your argument as valid how come you are still here? ;)

Not good enough. Who told you that I said Nirvana is a place to go?

If we consider your argument as valid how come you are still here? ;)

I made that assumption from your words - my error.

I'm still here because I like it!

:D

Noisy, quiet, hot, cold, high, low.

It doesn't matter.

Desiring freedom from samsara is still samsara.

Nirvana is not somewhere to go.

You're already here, the only obstacle is the belief that there must be something better.

:) synchronicity strikes again. Exactly my point expressed a minute ago in what I just finished writing in another thread.

Баба з возу -- кобилi легше.

Yes in order to blossom you must leave everything behind. The Buddha, Lao Tze, Hsu Yun, and an endless list of yogis and yoginis have detached themselves from society in order to purify their minds and attain spiritual liberation.

So do you have what it takes to take that important step and the one that will change entire your current perception and experience of things? If you do, remember that it will be damn hard but this effort won't be fruitless. Remember to always follow your heart regardless of difficulties and you will eventually succeed.

Good luck if you do.

See you in Nirvana. :)

For some reason I feel reluctant to admit that the longer my life is, the greater the scepticism I have of actually saying anything meaningful about it.

Its like, before you have kids, you don't know what its like to have kids.

No disrespect to actually trying to say something.

h

I made that assumption from your words - my error.

I'm still here because I like it!

biggrin.gif

In one lifetime you'll finally understand the First Noble Truth. Until then enjoy being wherever you are. Once I was a prince in some other planet and I was a medical practitioner where medical practitioners had the power to heal the sick by gentle touch. Back then I thought my life was pure and simple. I wish I had grasped the deep message of the Buddha in those "happy times". But I appreciate being a human because we suffer a lot more than sentient beings which consciously live in higher realms.

By the way, I have just finished a Vipassana session and every time I do it the stronger is my bond with the Dharma.

Sign in to follow this