sabretooth

how to erase bad karma

done a thing , can't take it back.

anyone know how to erase bad karma ?

sabretooth.

you can do Vajrasattva practice http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/vjrstva.htm

what did you do? as long as you didn't kill anybody, you'll be okay. even if you did... the effects of actions are always temporary. there is always opportunity for overcoming limitations and breathing in wisdom. I make mistakes often..but everytime that happens there is more and more motivation to practice and evolve. don't be hard on yourself :)

Greetings..

First, don't buy into the Karma concept.. realize that each transition through the ongoing process of Creation is an opportunity to change, an opportunity to redefine 'who you are'.. Karma is a self-fulfilling prophesey, a placebo with no basis for its existence.. Define yourself, or others will do it for you..

Be well..

Karma may be nothing other than a guide to help people better their lives.

Whether or not Karma exists is not the focus.

There is a common cornerstone in 21 different world religions.

It is known as the 'Ethics of Reciprocity,' and also 'the Golden Rule'-

"Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself."

In math, you start with 0, and you're neutral.

If you add+ to 0, you'll find yourself in the positive.

If you subtract- from 0, you are then in the negative.

So to return to 0, the neutral state, simply do the opposite action.

The common idea is whatever energy is put in, will return.

That is how I live my life under Karma's hand.

But you must realize that Karma transcends actions and depends on energetic intention.

Rather than wonder what action will counteract punching an old lady in the face,

simply see it as negative energy and counteract with positive energy.

After that point, all you have left to do is to trust that Nature is just.

Life is a rollercoaster, when living in action.

It will go up, and go down, and go up, and go down, and it may even flip a few times.

If that is your reality, then I'd say, "you only get one ticket, so enjoy the ride."

Some of us tire from such action.

If this is your reality, then your aim is to transcend Karma and stay in the center.

If you take nothing else from what I've said, please pay attention to this:

You are the canvas. Experience is the paint. Action is the brushstroke.

Do not regret you're work of Art.

Good luck my friend :)

Edited by seththewhite

Define yourself, or others will do it for you..

Do Not think this way.

The moment definition pursues me, I unclench like the Tao.

Definitions are for those who have limitations.

Edited by seththewhite

Greetings..

Deeds are the signature of the soul.. through your deeds you 'define' yourself, that is the recollection others will have of you.. i do not hold a definition of 'myself', each moment is a re-creation of my relationship with the process.. i do accept the inclination of others to recall their experiences relative to my deeds and hold that recollection as 'defining'..

Be well..

I like the concept of karma. At least it is one step backwards from the concept of destiny and one step toward the concept of free will.

Peace & Love!

Thank you for these thoughts.

When I entered the study of the Tao, I believed, strongly, in Karma and was shocked when it did not fit as well as I was sure it would.

This is one of my great questions and your words will be in my mind as I find my next quiet moment to medidate.

I am a Taoist.

Tao is beyond definition and without limitation.

I have therefore defined myself without defining what "I" am and without placing limits on myself.

Peace & Love!

Hi - no disrespect but, it's a struggle for me to identify a more limiting concept than kharma. In fact, if i were to put some effort into creating a system of psychological limit on human development, i don't think i could do better than kharma. It causes anxiety in many people who try so hard to remain in that 'center'.

i do not hold a definition of 'myself', each moment is a re-creation of my relationship with the process.. i do accept the inclination of others to recall their experiences relative to my deeds and hold that recollection as 'defining'..

I am a Taoist.

Tao is beyond definition and without limitation.

I have therefore defined myself without defining what "I" am and without placing limits on myself.

**Edit: I've often thought about this- as a Taoist, would I consider myself a Taoist?**

if i were to put some effort into creating a system of psychological limit on human development, i don't think i could do better than kharma. It causes anxiety in many people who try so hard to remain in that 'center'.

These are very good points, and I'll be the first to admit my own contradictions...

for Dualism has gone so far as to become an affectionate concept in my life.

My reason for saying what I said about definitions of the self

is the stress I've seen those definitions cause in my own life and the lives of others around me.

In a concrete world, it is very easy for people to become imprisoned by stagnant thought

and quite difficult for people to find the freedom of fluidity.

I speak out of my love for water.

Please forgive my words.

I only aim to aid.

Edited by seththewhite

**Edit: I've often thought about this- as a Taoist, would I consider myself a Taoist?**

Please forgive my words.

I only aim to aid.

Dear Seththewhite,

A request for forgiveness is out of place. All posts I have read of yours have been of a positive nature and with an intent to cause others positive thought. Therefore, in my opinion, there is nothing to forgive.

Regarding the first comment. That is a paradox, isn't it?

On questionaires when I am asked for my race I normally check 'other' and write in 'human'.

To define is to limit - Tao is without limit - therefore it is impossible to define.

Is this true of ourselves? Not very often but it is possible for all of us.

Peace & Love!

Karma is simply 'actions', and not 'retribution' as some may assume.

In many ways, Karma is linked with cause and effect. So its a universal truth, not a concept that is

restricted to some eastern philosophy.

Karma is very positive. It enables change. Without karma, positive deeds and thoughts will not have

any fruits. That would be very unfortunate. Imagine how sad life would be if all the good that people

do just disappear into nothing.

Karma, whether one believes in it or not, is very fundamental to daily life. We all perform actions.

That in itself is karma. But it goes a little further, and says that these actions will ripen at some

stage in our development, or evolution. They are like seeds. We sow good seeds, we end up

with good harvest. Very simple.

Just remember that thoughts and intentions are also forms of subtle actions. They too carry with

them the seeds of consequence. It is very proper to be mindfully aware of thoughts and intentions

before they are expressed physically. This way a lot of unnecessary problems can be prevented,

before they get a chance to come into existence. This is very good karma indeed.

"erase", what exactly do you mean by that?

...may I ask what value can you take from this lesson and use it to reduce suffering for yourself and

for the other party involved, and for the rest of your life as a person interacting with the world?

I feel that part of the solution is to untwist our karma enough so that we can move; move towards the

dharmas or laws that heal. And that will take some faith that the dharmas or universal spiritual laws

will help and will bring healing, (thus not just an erasing without all the steps taken in between) even if we can't presently see that far ahead by ourselves.

There is no magic bullet or method for us except for hard work and all the aspects of love that makes it possible.

In many ways, Karma is linked with cause and effect. So its a universal truth, not a concept that is

restricted to some eastern philosophy.

Yes, this is the way I always view the concept of karma. That allows me to speak of it in a positive manner without being in conflict with my own beliefs.

Just remember that thoughts and intentions are also forms of subtle actions. They too carry with

them the seeds of consequence. It is very proper to be mindfully aware of thoughts and intentions

before they are expressed physically. This way a lot of unnecessary problems can be prevented,

before they get a chance to come into existence. This is very good karma indeed.

In a way I agree with you but I think that we are not in total agreement with the concept. I suppose that if we sat down with lots of tea available during our discussion we would, maybe after a couple hours, form an acceptable agreement.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

"erase", what exactly do you mean by that?

...may I ask what value can you take from this lesson and use it to reduce suffering for yourself and

for the other party involved, and for the rest of your life as a person interacting with the world?

I feel that part of the solution is to untwist our karma enough so that we can move; move towards the

dharmas or laws that heal. And that will take some faith that the dharmas or universal spiritual laws

will help and will bring healing, (thus not just an erasing without all the steps taken in between) even if we can't presently see that far ahead by ourselves.

There is no magic bullet or method for us except for hard work and all the aspects of love that makes it possible.

I think by 'erase' the OP meant 'untwist', or undo, purify, release.. almost the same meaning.

What would you recommend as a practical means to untwist one's past actions 3Bob? What would this entail,

if i may ask. You mentioned faith. Are there any other methods one can employ to purify one's memories of

the past? Regrets, guilt, that sort of thing.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

Peace & Love!

In all sincerity, MH, i would love nothing more than to sit down with you over endless cups of tea, so that

i may partake of your wisdom, and learn of your ways that lead to contentment and freedom! :)

Warmest wishes are sent your way, dear friend.

In all sincerity, MH, i would love nothing more than to sit down with you over endless cups of tea, so that

i may partake of your wisdom, and learn of your ways that lead to contentment and freedom! :)

Oh! what a flower job. Hehehe. But thanks for the kind words.

Warmest wishes are sent your way, dear friend.

Same back at cha'!

Peace & Love!

The new-age concept of karma is a total load of BS IMO. think of it this way: if you are a person who consistently commits so-called bad acts, you are mentally aligning yourself with a certain negative psychological persuasion and experiencing life through that persuasion. It's all about programming.

Matt

For whatever the reason after re-reading Bob's post and Cowtao's response a story came to my mind I will share with y'all. I will paraphrase so please forgive if I don't get it perfectly accurate.

The lady of the house in rural China walked to the stream every morning to fetch water for the family. She always carried her only two pots for this task. One pot was fairly new and flawless, the other was old and cracked.

One morning when she was walking toward the stream to fetch water the old pot spoke to her. "Dear lady, I wish every day that I was new and flawless like your other pot so that I would not leak out water from my cracks when you fetch water."

The lady spoke to the old pot. "Dearest pot. Though you are old and cracked even your cracks serve a very useful purpose. See all these flowers on the one side of the path? These flowers have grown and are now sharing their beauty with us because of you. After filling you with water and return up the path to the house the water that leaks from your cracks has been daily watering these flowers so that I may enjoy their beauty."

I really don't want to suggest a moral of the story is but I hope you enjoyed it.

Peace & Love!

There was a thread a while back going into karma in some depth. Mention was also made of factors which increase/decrease the effects of karma.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=3938

Hi Rex,

Yeah, that was before my time here. I did see it but had no reason to revive it as it was almost totally a Buddhist discussion of the concept.

Peace & Love!

you can do Vajrasattva practice http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/vjrstva.htm

what did you do? as long as you didn't kill anybody, you'll be okay. even if you did... the effects of actions are always temporary. there is always opportunity for overcoming limitations and breathing in wisdom. I make mistakes often..but everytime that happens there is more and more motivation to practice and evolve. don't be hard on yourself :)

karma mean's as you sow , so shall you reap ,as I'm sure you already know.

For the last five and a half year's I have had a price on my head,I think this will be my last year.

This situation really is karmic.

sabretooth.

I did see it but had no reason to revive it as it was almost totally a Buddhist discussion of the concept.
Oh, sorry to disappoint. :P

There was a thread a while back going into karma in some depth.

That actually made me laugh outloud, or at least chuckle a little, I'm not sure why :lol:

Anyway, philosophical, theological and cultural interpretations aside, the practical application of Karma (are you supposed leave out the "h"? I always get that wrong) in people who live with it daily results in insecurity and anxiety. It's no different than superstition. They find themselves relying on imperfect advisors (maybe today that means internet forums?) to help them sort out the puzzles. And that's a risky position to find yourself in.

This is an exceptionally grotesque example of what I mean:

The Vietnamese could be cruel captors, but their Confucian heritage left them open to educational reform. In Cambodia, by contrast, Buddhism encouraged a belief in the ineluctability of karma and the idea that evil suffered is evil deserved. "The idea of karma goes very deep in this society, and I think that was part of the mentality of the Khmer Rouge when they were massacring people," said Francois Ponchaud, a priest who first went to Cambodia in 1965. "They believed their victims had made errors, political errors, and that killing them would allow them to be reborn as better people in their next lives."

The link: The Darkness of Cambodia