Pietro

polyphasic sleep

Have anyone tried Polyphasic sleep:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

Seems interesting. After eating raw meat, making love with plants, sungazing, hanging weights to your testicles, this seem a must have in the neo-global-taoist-nut trick-hat.

Be sure to read the day 60 report:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/12/p...-update-day-60/

Have anyone tried Polyphasic sleep:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

Seems interesting. After eating raw meat, making love with plants, sungazing, hanging weights to your testicles, this seem a must have in the neo-global-taoist-nut trick-hat.

Be sure to read the day 60 report:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/12/p...-update-day-60/

Buckminster Fuller used to do it, on a fairly permanent basis.

I'm told that most sleep time is "wasted" in circling down through the subconscious to get to the bit where we are genuinely unconscious and being refreshed, that this deep bit can be as little as 5-20 mins, and that we often take 2-3 hours each way to get there and back. (seems to contradict, or maybe run alongside, the 90 minute thing. I dunno.)

I've also heard strategies for getting directly to the deep bit, which mainly involve getting semi comfortable and doing gentle chi kung until you just zonk off.

So maybe giving you system no alternative will direct it in a similar way.

Will try one day. Not any time soon, tho.

Crazy, I just found this guy's blog today searching for something else. Great content. I currently have a regular job so I can't do the polyphasic thing but once I manifest financial freedom I will revisit for sure.

Buckminster Fuller used to do it, on a fairly permanent basis.

I'm told that most sleep time is "wasted" in circling down through the subconscious to get to the bit where we are genuinely unconscious and being refreshed, that this deep bit can be as little as 5-20 mins, and that we often take 2-3 hours each way to get there and back. (seems to contradict, or maybe run alongside, the 90 minute thing. I dunno.)

I've also heard strategies for getting directly to the deep bit, which mainly involve getting semi comfortable and doing gentle chi kung until you just zonk off.

So maybe giving you system no alternative will direct it in a similar way.

Will try one day. Not any time soon, tho.

Yes, it makes me wonder how hard would it be to bring it to the next level where you can explain your body to live the next week as poliphasic, or as monophasic. So that if you are on a strict schedule, maybe at a conference, or a workshop, and the time does not permit to be poliphasic you are just poliphasic for some days, and then you switch back. I remember it took me a lot of time to switch to primal diet, and the first time I had to go back to normal diet because I was at a workshope in crete and I just did not have the time to go looking for the food, was fairly ok. When I went back was again a pain in the ass. But then, the next time I visited Italy, and was less precise with food, my body seemed to take it better. I don't know if I just did not make the switch, or with time the body learns to work on both operational modes.

And yes, Sean, most comments I hear for people are along the lines: "yes, interesting, maybe one day...". We need to pave the road, or sleep trying! :lol:

Those techniques, conscious dream, poly sleep, Poly relationships :P , are all much easier if you have no internal dialogue & if you live the life of a monk (tao monks are great in poli relationships! :P) . One of the thing that came out in the blog I refered to, is that babies are naturally polyphasic. We learn night cycle later. And much of the work in taoism is about going back to when we were near the tao, like babies. So no doubt that if you are there, all those techniques are just doors that automatically open. The question remains, how much can you open thos doors... before you have reached that level. And each thing might help you to progress or hinder you.

how about "modified polyphasic sleeping" aka taking naps? That might be a good halfway strategy. I've tried napping before and I really liked it--it gave me two days for the price of one.

Cool link too.

About the amount of sleep one needs... Cam have you noticed any lessening of the desire to sleep during your 50+ days retention? Around that time, I go from 8 to 6 hours of sleep naturally until I start going mad after day 100.

I sleep 8 hours. Sometimes more. I usually don't do well on 6 hours.

Read my cultivation journal for details of the end of my retention attempt.

I start going mad after day 100.

would you care to say more about it? One of the reasons I am not into retention is because it fucked up my mind. :wacko:

I just realized I might be able to try this. If I use my lunch break at work to take a nap (there is this little dark, quiet room with a couch in it that no one is in), and then I take a nap right after work I might be able to pull this off. Is anyone else going to give this a try?

To boil my lesson learned in 2005 down to one sentence: too mugh high energy stuff esp. standing, sungazing, and retention overloaded me and made my life glitchy. As Yogani says, too much pranayama gives me bad luck. When synchronicity isn't on my side, I get pissed off and gradually go insane. So far, I've hit the brakes before insanity, but it's down the same track. I ran into this wall many times, but I finally figured out how to work with it.

High energy shit is exciting, I yearn for it, but I need more meditation practice to contain the reaction.

Edited by Yoda

And drink green tea and take tao in a bottle.

And if you ever get the impulse to go off on Mrs. Yoda or kids do 100 straight hindu pushups first.

Or take all the high energy and develop your stand up rountine/open mic night.

The crowd will probably start laughing from your crazy high qi vibe alone.

Trying to develop a Tantric sex/retention practice and raise kids= Comic gold

Edited by Cameron

I have tried it. Didn`t work. I even contacted one of the guys who wrote suh a blog as mentioned (maybe even the mentioned guy) and as far as I remember he gave it up. I have read a lot about it and most everybody gave it up. Even if you generally tend to have the time to do it you get thrown out of your pratice it by whatever instance you can not get the half-hour sleep at the set time intended. Day to day life usually does not allow you to really go to sleep when you want to. You say. Well I go to sleep for half an hour everydaz around 7 in the evening?

If you live a usual life, forget about it. you will get a call or you are meant to meet friends at that time or or or...

I have tried several setups and none worked... in the long run it might be possible to do if you can stick to a strict regimen... but usually I give it about no chance to work... you will tend to sleep longer (like in the morning: ` a come`on. give me 5 more minutes`... and there you go...

save your time for something else.

who said that baby`s sleep policyclic...? Ever noticed how much sleep they have? It is not the 4 to 6 hours that is aimed at with the practice...

Harry (after 9 days Yi Quan training and still the same need for the same amount of sleep. At least 8 hours...)

I just realized I might be able to try this. If I use my lunch break at work to take a nap (there is this little dark, quiet room with a couch in it that no one is in), and then I take a nap right after work I might be able to pull this off. Is anyone else going to give this a try?

I might, but not now. I think chosing the right period is crucial. I wouldn't do it if I had such a tight schedule. I think the right way to proceede is to wait for summer, and maybe vacations and do it then. The risk, of course is that you lose it as soon as you come back. In any case, before doing it, I want to: read everything that is available on the net on the topic. Maybe buy the book and read that too. Make sure I have no big important things I need to do for AT LEAST 3 weeks. For example, next wednesday I am giving a talk here at the uni. I cannot risk being tired. At the end of march there is a workshop with Bruce. One week. If I start after my talk I would be doing it only by one month. Too little to put myself under such an energetic oven. Maybe easter vacations might be a good time to try. It is also warmer. I will be working, but no one else will be, thus I will not have office meetings.

Reading this guy blog, it seem extreemly important that it should be like jumping in cold water. No slow entrance. Yoda idea of just taking naps, is ok, but will not make you poliphasic, and will not move you from a day to day experience, to a one continuous stretch of time. And this psichological change is what I am actually after. But I have no experience. I am just repeating what I read on the blog.

So, I might, but later.

P.S. it would be fun if we all do it together. I am sure we would help each other a lot.

Pietro

To boil my lesson learned in 2005 down to one sentence: too mugh high energy stuff esp. standing, sungazing, and retention overloaded me and made my life glitchy. As Yogani says, too much pranayama gives me bad luck. When synchronicity isn't on my side, I get pissed off and gradually go insane. So far, I've hit the brakes before insanity, but it's down the same track. I ran into this wall many times, but I finally figured out how to work with it.

High energy shit is exciting, I yearn for it, but I need more meditation practice to contain the reaction.

Interesting. What standing positions do you use?

What techinques do you use to change the chi into shen?

Edited by Pietro