voidisyinyang

Being Banned from Taobums

Trunk I appreciate that you feel free enough to express your feelings with me even if they are anger. I understand that you do not want me to tell people who are new to this website about Chunyi Lin's healing practice.

I will be happy to let new members know that you do not want me to tell them about Chunyi Lin's http://springforestqigong.com.

Otherwise feel free to censor me.

I have been banned from Michael Prescott's blog, from Timothy somebody's blog -- name slips me, from somebody North's blog, from the SEED science blogs due to PZ Myers, from Greg's http://thedailygrail.com blog and from http://unexplained-mysteries.com.

In fact I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get banned from taobums.com

People can always find me at my blog http://naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot.com

Thanks for your cooperation Trunk!

~~~ Tao Bums Moderation ~~~

Drew,

Please reference the prior PM I sent you regarding spamming SFQ in the lobby. Dial it way back.

You've continued spamming since I sent you the PM yesterday morning.

This is your 2nd warning. If it happens again at near same consistency then that is 3 and you receive an enforced 2 week vacation from TTBs.

regards,

Trunk

What about KAP? Isn't spreading the word here a viable means of marketing? I'm not sure if drew has a direct vested interest though, but sometimes when someone makes a general thread asking about methods, many members pool in with their suggestions instead of unrelated threads.

How about separating marketers from non-marketers? how about making a list or directory of schools and methods for reference or separate sections for certain schools? If you're going to crack down on an instance of over-marketing you might as well ponder these questions, just a thought.

Edited by Desert Eagle

Drew,

Since you have chosen to make this a public show, below is the quoted first warning that I sent you yesterday, Saturday Jan 9th at 11:42am. You received this because we counted 23 recent "lobby SFQ promo" posts of yours in response to generic 'hello' introductions. Twenty-three, recently. That's spam, man.

Since I sent you the below first warning, that is - since yesterday, you posted at least 4 or 5 more "lobby SFQ promo" posts.

Keep doing it and you get the 2 week vacation.

Simple rules.

Your choice.

- Trunk

~~~ Tao Bums Moderation ~~~

Drew,

You gotta scale back on the lobby SFQ promo campaign.

With the number and consistency of posts it amounts to spam and there's a policy against spam at TTBs.

There's several mitigating factors that makes this more difficult to moderate than someone who just showed up and all they ever do is post promo links.

1. You're a member who has contributed to dialog often in the main area.

2. You're saying 'hello' to people, which is cool. (Well, sometimes it's just "yo" and the link :lol:, but sometimes you do often say a more substantial 'hello' along with the link.)

Also, though I've never tried SFQ I've only ever seen it mentioned positively here at TTBs. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a critical comment about it here. Maybe the only practice/school that I can say that about.

Still, given the number and consistency and the clear strategy of simply posting the link to everyone who shows up in the lobby: it's spam. If we let this go, then it sets a precedent for other people to be able to do the same thing for whatever their gig is. It's not a good precedent.

Please dial the lobby campaign back some. Occasional external links are fine, appreciated even, but not like this.

Consider putting a link to SFQ in your signature, if you'd like. That way you can keep the full-on SFQ exposure without it being this way.

kind regards,

Trunk

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

Oh this will be fun :blink: Everyone loves SFQ Drew. Seriously I challange anyone to find a bad testomonial about it.

The intent was to stop posts like these in the lobby, which we have received complaints about.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?act=Se...s&highlite=

(this thread might end up in Forum and Tech Support too)

Sorry Trunk, I disagree with the ban. If drew has no financial interest in SFQ, there is no reason he cannot proselytize in the lobby. Annoying yes, spam no.

Spam is the abuse of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately.

If he is using an automated system to send out the exact same message, then maybe you might have a point. Otherwise, no.

Drew is an interesting, knowledgeable and useful 'character' here on taobums. Back off, moderators.

Drew is an interesting, knowledgeable and useful 'character' here on taobums. Back off, moderators.

I strongly agree with this sentiment, when a member is overly useful but makes a few mistakes he should be given a chance.

Edited by Desert Eagle

Nothing against Drew, marketing on the forum, or SFQ...but it is totally spam, and it'd be nice if it wasn't allowed.

Drew:

I will be happy to let new members know that you do not want me to tell them about Chunyi Lin's http://springforestqigong.com.

The intent was to stop posts like these in the lobby, which we have received complaints about.

The intent is not to stop posts like these in the lobby, it's to "dial it back". It's a matter of degree. It's about balance. Read my 1st warning above.

I strongly agree with this sentiment, when a member is overly useful but makes a few mistakes he should be given a chance.
Everyone gets several chances: 1st warning, 2nd warning, then if after that still more violation/s:

a 2 week vacation (not a permanent ban).

~ edit ~

If you don't see the pattern, check out Mal's search link:

You (TSoDE) wouldn't be a lawyer by any chance would you? Trying to bail Drew out on a technicality LMAO.

Edited by Pero

The intent is not to stop posts like these in the lobby, it's to "dial it back". It's a matter of degree. It's about balance. Read my 1st warning above.

My error, sorry.

No, I'm not a lawyer. But it's not spam. He writes a different and individual greeting to each new person. That is not spam. If he has no financial interest in it, it should be allowed. Otherwise, let's not let Santiago Dobles start any KAP threads, and should be policed from promotion, because he is definitely pushing his product on this forum.

Nothing against Drew, marketing on the forum, or SFQ...but it is totally spam, and it'd be nice if it wasn't allowed.

I agree.

Seems that Drew went trough the A&P (read: Daniel Ingram) and thus attaches his new found bliss to his teacher (SFQ) and method (full-lotus) This is sweet I guess but personally I find this incredibly annoying. Plus its a bit detrimental to SFQ since anyone with interest in Master Lin will read Drew's babbling posts and conclude that the program leads to extreme imbalance. If anything Drew is only hurting the reputation of Spring Forest by attaching himself to the program.

No, I'm not a lawyer. But it's not spam. He writes a different and individual greeting to each new person. That is not spam. If he has no financial interest in it, it should be allowed. Otherwise, let's not let Santiago Dobles start any KAP threads, and should be policed from promotion, because he is definitely pushing his product on this forum.

You should be a lawyer because you're just using rhetoric to redefine what 'spam' means. I think everyone here will agree that we are not talking about email spam where the same message is sent over and over again, but rather spamming by posting something similar over and over again. It doesn't matter if Drew gets money for it. If I replied to every new member and told them that they should buy a certain book and practice with a certain teacher, then I would (rightly) be called a spammer as well. Santiago does not do this, and we are not talking about starting individual threads specific to a paid program, but rather replying to new members and sending them to a certain program or mentioning the program in every post.

Edited by mikaelz

I agree.

Seems that Drew went trough the A&P (read: Daniel Ingram) and thus attaches his new found bliss to his teacher (SFQ) and method (full-lotus) This is sweet I guess but personally I find this incredibly annoying. Plus its a bit detrimental to SFQ since anyone with interest in Master Lin will read Drew's babbling posts and conclude that the program leads to extreme imbalance. If anything Drew is only hurting the reputation of Spring Forest by attaching himself to the program.

It's his right to do so. He can be annoying if he wants. He's not being insulting. And it's not spam. If it shouldn't be allowed, then write it in the rules. If he's that enthusiastic, so be it. Plus what does "dial it back" mean? There is no definition.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

The lobby, IMHO, is a neutral zone. People come in, say hello. If they have a specific question, like, "I'd like to get an introduction to Taoist energy work, where can I find it?" Then a proper referral is welcomed, like, "you might want to check this out".

Otherwise, point them here, prompt them to make a thread, so that way everyone can chip in. No offense to new members, but I almost never visit the lobby :lol:

A few people might find the SFQ links helpful, but I don't think anyone wants to get inundated with everyone posting a link to whatever they feel the best system is as soon as they register :lol:

Gee whiz there must be something in the food supply. Or maybe they have pulled back on the fluoride dosage in the water ways. :lol:

Spam is called spam because it has many of the same characteristics as the lunchmeat Spam:

* Nobody wants it or ever asks for it.

* No one ever eats it; it is the first item to be pushed to the side when eating the entree.

* Sometimes it is actually tasty, like 1% of junk mail that is really useful to some people.

The only reason why Drew's post came to our attention was because we were getting multiple PM's from members who found it an issue. And after 30+ consecutive new members getting a SFQ linked post we agreed that it was a little excessive.

"Dial it back" can simply mean to have the SQF link in the signature and make a warm and friendly hello. You don't need to be like a Chinese taxi driver accosting the tourists as they come off the train.

:D

"But it's not spam."

Oh really?

Spam

-noun

2. a disruptive, esp. commercial message posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.

-http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spam

Linking to a commercial website in a post that contains little to no substance is a commercial message...even if the person isn't making any money on it.

Doing it multiple times (23) is very disruptive.

Another definition which I saw on urban dictionary said the word "unsolicited". That's exactly what happened in the lobby, in at least most of the cases. People weren't asking for advice on where to learn.

Edited by Scotty

Another definition which I saw on urban dictionary said the word "unsolicited". That's exactly what happened in the lobby, in at least most of the cases. People weren't asking for advice on where to learn.

here's just one example:

Hello everyone, I'd like to thank you for making a nice site (that goes to everyone, users and administrators) and would also like to make a brief introduction as to show why I visit.

I had heard about Taoism a few years ago and thought it was quite a neat concept. A few months ago I decided to look into it more and since then I have been reading various translations of the Tao Te Ching, getting something new from each translation and also other texts (such as the stories by Chuang Tzu). After I started reading I began practicing the beliefs in everyday life and it has overall made me happy and at peace. I have joined this website in hopes to become closer with the Tao and perhaps one day we shall work hand in hand.

Drew, did you complete the four levels and/or instructor training in Spring Forest? If not, maybe you would gain additional insight into the practice. As we all know, you had the "laser-like" transmission from Master Li. However, if you haven't had all the actual live teachings, it seems to me that it would be a beneficial course of action to continue your studies with him. Just my opinion...good luck to you!

Hello Stigweard,

It is my belief you did not really mean to bring in that example of the Chinese taxi driver accosting newly-arrived passengers. We know you were in China recently, and perhaps the memory is still pleasantly fresh in your mind.

On the off chance that a Chinese Taoist taxi driver were to browse this site, he may find that remark quite off-putting, even offensive. If my dad was a taxi driver, i would certainly raise an eyebrow reading that. With due respect, i hope you realize what i am trying to say.

Peaceful regards.

Guest sykkelpump

Trunk:

I think this is bullshit,he does not make so much out of it I think.And it actuallythi is one of the best qi gongs out there to.It actually works.And imo it holds what it says.

Does KAP that,promises kundalini awakening in weeks.just look at old posts where I was arguing with Santiago and I said it was impossible.He even said it could awake kundalini in days

.Kap makes me sick,you should bann that to,to make justice here.

Maybe Santiago have put a spell on you to like he seems to have done with most peole here.people belive whatever bullshit he says without thinking

:huh: This isn't about SFQ vs KAP, at all. It's about spamming the forum.

SFQ rocks.

If a person is enthusiastic, they can make posts of substance where they mention the product and link it. Or they can link to events, such as free web interviews, as Drew has done in the past.

Trunk:

I think this is bullshit,he does not make so much out of it I think.And it actuallythi is one of the best qi gongs out there to.It actually works.And imo it holds what it says.

Does KAP that,promises kundalini awakening in weeks.just look at old posts where I was arguing with Santiago and I said it was impossible.He even said it could awake kundalini in days

Maybe Santiago have put a spell on you to like he seems to have done with most peole here.people belive whatever bullshit he says without thinking

I have the SFQ course and I am looking forward to the 2 week break, don't worry SFQ will be just fine. The Kap discussions are mostly limited to one thread, recently being ruined by haters that do not practice KAP. I look forward to the moderaters doing something about the insult policy reminder on that thread someday so I can learn more about KAP.

Edited by billb

Are the promoters of various websites and products excluded from this prohibition? Stigweard promotes his website and services, Fivelementtao promotes his DVD's. Are these promotions paid for? If not, then should those be allowed on every post?

The more egregious problems here, are the disrespect to each other during debates. Recently, I received a less than cordial PM from Mikaelz and was told to shut up by Lucky7Strikes. I am considering forwarding that PM to the moderators.

ralis

Trunk:

Well one difference is that Santiago and Susan are not systematically replying to every new member in the lobby suggesting that they visit the KAP web site, as Drew is doing with Spring Forest. If that was the case, then yes, that would be spam also. Your response here seems to based on emotion and not logic.

Personally, I often find Drew's posts in the forum to be interesting, although there is a certain amount of repetition in them. I hope he does not get banned, but I agree that he should not be spamming new people in the lobby.

Edited by Dainin