Sign in to follow this  
C T

The Bhavana Society

Hey Folks,

http://www.bhavanasociety.org/index/

A friend sent on this link about a Theravadin Buddhist Monastery in West Virginia, under the guidance of

Bhante Gunaratana, one of the most venerated Buddhist monks alive today. I have heard many good words

spoken about this teacher. To give you an idea of this man, here's a short talk he gave on Youtube called

"What is Samatha/Vipassana?" :

The center regularly runs free retreats all year round. Just had a look at their schedule, and it appears very full until summer. Their next open weeklong retreat (called "Mindfulness") is on the 10th of July.

For those who live close to West Virginia, or who may be interested to attend group retreats or do personal ones, it might be an idea to check this center out. Looks like a really supportive environment to spend some time exploring and deepening Meditation and Mindfulness practices.

If anyone have had the opportunity to visit this monastery, attended any retreats there, or had listened to live talks given by Bhante Gunaratana, please share your thoughts and reviews here.

Thanks.

Edited by CowTao

Hey Folks,

A friend sent on this link about a Theravadin Buddhist Monastery in West Virginia, under the guidance of

Bhante Gunaratana, one of the most venerated Buddhist monks alive today. I have heard many good words

spoken about this teacher. To give you an idea of this man, here's a short talk he gave on Youtube called

The center regularly runs free retreats all year round. Just had a look at their schedule, and it appears very full until summer. Their next open weeklong retreat (called "Mindfulness") is on the 10th of July.

For those who live close to West Virginia, or who may be interested to attend group retreats or do personal ones, it might be an idea to check this center out. Looks like a really supportive environment to spend some time exploring and deepening Meditation and Mindfulness practices.

If anyone have had the opportunity to visit this monastery, attended any retreats there, or had listened to live talks given by Bhante Gunaratana, please share your thoughts and reviews here.

Thanks.

Many thanks, bro.

I will check this out, it is very close to me!

Edited by Deepbluesea

Guest paul walter

Wow those Theravadians sure know how to live it up. I'd definately stay here over the Hilton when I wanted a holiday from mundane existence. Paul.

I almost biked there from Minnesota. I corresponded with email and was told that it would take several months to process my application. So I figured if I biked there then they would know I was serious because they don't allow cars after a certain point into the monastery. Also no cell phones. I was like - cool I have not driven a car since 2001 and I've never had a cell phone.

I also said I would donate all my personal savings to the monastery but that is not allowed so they don't get crazy people who want to completely turn away from mundane reality to become monks -- at least not until after the crazy person can prove themselves compatible with the other monks. haha.

Hey Folks,

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this