Sign in to follow this  
insanity187

New to Tao, and here

Hello all.

New here and since I've been meaning to get in touch with people knowledgeable, or in tune with, Taoism, this place seemed like a good community simply for how big it appears (and I also liked the name).

About my experience with Taoism: I mostly was introduced to Taoism via Alan Watts and his great little book, "The Wisdom of Insecurity." I began reading that book in search of technique to help me handle my anxiety, and I'm pleased to say that his advice, which seemed seasoned by spirituality, about only concerning oneself with the present moment as it's the only moment we live in, worked wonders to alleviate my anxiety. Personally I was astounded by it because this is coming from someone who has consulted Western doctors, taken medication for anxiety and seen half a dozen professionals over the course of almost ten years to no avail, while Watts' simple little chapter seemed to do more for me than the sum of those ten wasted years of Western struggle. Needless to say, I'm interested now.

Anyways, I'll be honest in saying I've joined this board in hope of more guidance, wisdom and practice. I haven't read any other texts directly to do with Taoism because I first wanted to talk with others about it. I still struggle greatly with depression and anxiety and I hope to find some wisdom in dealing with such if that's not asking too much of the forum.

Edited by insanity187

Hello all.

New here and since I've been meaning to get in touch with people knowledgeable, or in tune with, Taoism, this place seemed like a good community simply for how big it appears (and I also liked the name).

About my experience with Taoism: I mostly was introduced to Taoism via Alan Watts and his great little book, "The Wisdom of Insecurity." I began reading that book in search of technique to help me handle my anxiety, and I'm pleased to say that his advice, which seemed seasoned by spirituality, and about only concerning oneself with the present moment as it's the only moment we live in, worked wonders to alleviate my anxiety. Personally I was astounded by it because this is coming from someone who has consulted Western doctors, taken medication for anxiety and seen half a dozen professionals over the course of almost ten years to no avail, while Watts' simple little chapter seemed to do more for me than the sum of those ten wasted years of Western struggle. Needless to say, I'm interested now.

Anyways, I'll be honest in saying I've joined this board in hope of more guidance, wisdom and practice. I haven't read any other texts directly to do with Taoism because I first wanted to talk with others about it. I still struggle greatly with depression and anxiety and I hope to find some wisdom in dealing with such if that's not asking too much of the forum.

==============================================================

Hi new poster,

i'm new here too but just wanted to share a quick thought since what you wrote in the second paragraph of your post touched this heart o'mine. i struggled with depression off and on for many years (runs in the family on both sides). Recently after a bizarre 'break-up' of sorts began, for the first time in this life, experiencing anxiety attacks. For a little while there i ended up choosing to take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds as well as undergoing psychiatric therapy sessions once a week. i'm glad i went that route for that time but fairly quickly began coming off of all of it. It just happened naturally...universe, if you will, pointing out signs this was no longer needed. What has been of tremendous help since then is not only going back to my earlier practices but now undertaking Qigong classes under a wonderful instructor. It is YiRen lineage and school 'style'. i go to every single class the Qigong Master teaches and am feeling healing taking place not only physically but emotionally and i'd be so bold as to say spiritually too.

Sooooooooooooooo...just want to encourage you to keep headed in the direction that feels good to you and i don't doubt you'll see for yourself that healing does take place and perhaps you'll even draw the same strange conclusion i have drawn (thus far anyways) that these conditions are actually a kind of bizarre blessing. i am now exceedingly grateful for my experience of depression and anxiety for the simple though perhaps bizarre reason that they made me realize what will never satisfy me and never satiate me. It is an inner push towards better health in every sense...so i do understand.

Regards - g

Welcome! You'll see on my signature below that I give a link to the qigong master I took classes from -- well more specifically the many people who he healed of serious diseases like late-term cancer, M.S., etc. I would give the link here but one of the moderators here said that is spam. Sorry about that! haha.

Still http://springforestqigong.com is a very easy practice that is also very effective for little time used and you can then make it as powerful as you want. The teacher Chunyi Lin went 49 days in a cave in full-lotus -- nonstop -- taking no food, no water and no sleep. Now Chunyi Lin has worked with the top hospital in the world --- the Mayo Clinic -- and he has a healing clinic in Minnesota. So you can get phone healings or you can fly here for a weekend to take the Level 1 and Level 2 course. Or you can get the courses as a self-learning package. Take care.

Hello all.

About my experience with Taoism: I mostly was introduced to Taoism via Alan Watts and his great little book, "The Wisdom of Insecurity." I began reading that book in search of technique to help me handle my anxiety, and I'm pleased to say that his advice, which seemed seasoned by spirituality, about only concerning oneself with the present moment as it's the only moment we live in, worked wonders to alleviate my anxiety. Personally I was astounded by it because this is coming from someone who has consulted Western doctors, taken medication for anxiety and seen half a dozen professionals over the course of almost ten years to no avail, while Watts' simple little chapter seemed to do more for me than the sum of those ten wasted years of Western struggle. Needless to say, I'm interested now.

Sign in to follow this