Sign in to follow this  
freesun

Golden ratio on nanosclae

I hadn't heard about this, but it doesn't surprise at all.

I have a very strong idea that everything grows according to the golden spiral...

even humans.

Search google images for "golden rectangle" & "golden spiral," and you'll see what I mean...

if you didn't already know :)

From the standpoint of mathematical physics, the golden ratio is a very natural geometric construction and to have it pop up randomly is no surprise. What is really surprising is the appearance of E8, the largest exceptional Lie group. When mathematicians first started thinking about symmetry in an abstract way, they decided to try to classify all symmetries of continuous objects, starting with the building blocks for the others. Many were well known, like the rotation groups. But there were a handful of "exceptional" groups that had no pattern to them. The largest of these was called E8. It's the kind of thing that a mathematician discovers and thinks "there is no way this will ever have a practical application."

But here it is in an actual physical system. Mind blowing!

Actually, here is a textbook example of irresponsible science journalism: I looked into it and the experiments have not definitively proved the connection to E8, because there are 8 quasiparticles they would have to observe to establish that and they have only observed the first few. Ugh. Well, it looks promising.

Some of you may remember this.

Donald in Mathmagic Land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ssR7M5Px0

We had this shown to us in school

MATHMAGIC LAND CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

I wanted to get the rectangle tattooed on myself for the longest time...

but I realized that anything worthy of a permanent place on my body,

already has a permanent place in my mind.

Thanks for bringing it up :)

Actually there's a fairly recent book about the Golden Ratio in music -- Charles Madden should be the author. He and I corresponded a bit as he wanted to publish my masters thesis on music and philosophy of science. I wrote a paper on the golden ratio in music.

The problem is that quantum physics relies on "freezing" the uncertainty into a spatial state -- so on the one hand we are told this "golden ratio" is found but on the other hand, as per quantum physics, it's a statistical measurement which is inherently uncertain until measured.

Quantum uncertainty is not "random" as the article implies -- it's inherently unknowable until measured under some technological construct. Logically we can infer that something exists when we are not measuring it -- so some quantum physicists state there is indeed a signaling of information faster-than-light, only it can not be measured.

So to state that a frequency is harmonious because it's the golden ratio actually is a problem of logic. Frequency in NONWESTERN music is not measured as spatial distance. In other words measuring TIME as spatial distance in Western music and Western science is inherently based on the Golden Ratio as the slowest converging irrational number. The harmonic series itself is the slowest DIVERGING rational series of numbers -- but that would be an impossible option in quantum physics -- because again the measurement is dependent on "containing" the information with time as spatial distance.

This stuff is making my brain bleed.

I mean, when you guys read this, do you, like, actually know what they're saying, or...

I mean, i know how to... blend niobium into steel alloys on a casual level. This stuff 'mushy mah braenz'.

Also, i have a theory that atoms rarely actually touch eachother, they are just repulsed from eachother when the shell electrons push it away from eachother. Might explain why we never lose heat slowly, by (irony acknowledged) atomic friction.

I mean, when you guys read this, do you, like, actually know what they're saying, or...

Romanesco, cousin to cauli and broccoli

fractalfoodrn6.jpg

Edited by seththewhite

ive seen that before... and it makes me want to puke...

That is the most disgusting vegetable i could imagine.

Looks like a mining bit, but oddly, that increases the edibility slightly... probly cuz im insane :D

Sign in to follow this