Encephalon

Over Forty Only

39 years here.

I think we should distinguish between a post that make no syntax sense, a post that makes no semantic sense, and a post that is false. Maybe in 9 months time, when I will be 40, I will know more, but for now this sounds like a good starting point.

In general when a post, or a thread, makes no sense I simply ignore it. Those days I see myself writing less and less. But the point of the fourth hexagram is that the relation between those that know and those that do not know is asymmetric. You know, you set the rules, you ignore the rest. If a young fool wants to have your attention they will necessarily have to sort themselves out.

I suggest that you write the minimum requirements for you to participate, in your signature. Something like: I only respond to post that are: grammatically correct, make sense, and don't make my BS detector go crazy.

For me I have something similar, although it's not written in my signature. I only respond to posts about global warming if they cite their sources, and the sources are peer reviewed articles. Anything else I ignore.

Sounds like you composed your criteria straight out of the critical thinking material. Well said.

http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/u...l-standards.cfm

I framed these points within the issue of age for the simple reason that older folks seem to have the advantage of 1.) growing up in an era with an educational system that had higher intellectual standards, or 2.) have acquired better communication skills out of sheer repitition. As far as disparagement of youth goes, let me say there is nothing so disappointing as someone in middle age who comports himself like a 15 yr-old. (That would be my neighbor, one scary fellow.)

Edited by Blasto

This thread is stupid. :P .

It's so stupid, it's mind-boggling.

When Zen master Joshu left his master at the age of eighty he famously claimed that he would learn from a six year old if there was anything to be learned and teach whoever needed it.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

This thread is stupid. :P .

It's so stupid, it's mind-boggling.

The impetus for your deep and thoughtful analysis, no doubt.