Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

Question on breath control technique

I have recently received a question from a friend of mine and I am not able to answer him properly because I am not experienced in this particular type of breath work. If you have experience, or know of relevant resource instruction, I would welcome your input.

-------------------------

If it wouldn't be too much of a problem for you, would you mind asking your friend about a technique? I found this on two totally separate sources - one belongs to a Hungarian alternative healer (who unfortunately died this summer so I can't ask him), the other is a document on yoga. (I already tried to contact the yoga institute which published the document but they didn't answer me - as usual.)

So here it is.

The technique states that holding back your breath for 60 seconds and repeating this 60 times at minimum every day generates such a self-healing capacity that you will get rid of ALL diseases and infections, and as long as you keep practicing, you will remain totally healthy. The Hungarian man's version tells to start with 20 seconds, and it suggests a couple of weeks of practice before going for 30 seconds, etc. - for the sake of getting used to it. The yogic version also includes that the time-rate between inhalation, restrain, and exhalation should be 1:4:2 - so if you inhale for 10 seconds then you hold your breath for 40 seconds and exhale for 20 seconds.

Well, if your friend knows more (which I hope) about breathing, could you please ask whether this self-healing thing with this particular exercise could be possible, and whether it is important to stick to that 1:4:2 time-rate?

In the kundalini yoga I practiced, the breath ratio of 1:4:2 is used in the "Nadi cleansing breath" which is used to breathe alternately through each nostril. It opens the right and left channels of the body, balances and purifies the body and the meridians...

Close right nostril...Inhale through left nostril 10 seconds. Hold 40 seconds. close off left nostril and exhale out of right nostril for 20 seconds. repeat. It is "very purifying and cleansing." This is a basic yogic pranayama (Chi Kung) practice in Hatha and Kundalini yoga. I used to practice this everyday. It was a staple practice for me for a long time. It IS very healing and cleansing and does great things for the energy body.

This breath ratio may also be in other exercises, but this was how I was taught to use this breath...

to answer his question in this particular exercise the ratio is essential and so is the method...

P.S. Anyone interested in trying this breath... please seek out a qualified teacher. There is a technique, posture and method for holding the breath. It should be noted that holding the breath improperly can result in injury. I'm sure any yoga instructor worth their salt can teach this breath....

Edited by fiveelementtao

imho, unless this person is already decently versed in breathwork, it would be proper to start out with the fundamental embryonic breathing. make it all soft and proprioceptively reach deep before trying to do things that require enhanced control.

I agree with joeblast.

Here is a very important caution from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika:

15. Just as lions, elephants and tigers are controlled by and by, so the breath is controlled by slow degrees, otherwise (i.e., by being hasty or using too much force) it kills the practitioner himself.

16. When Pranayama, etc., are performed properly, they eradicate all diseases; but an improper practice generates diseases.

17. Hiccough, asthma, cough, pain in the head, the ears, and the eyes; these and other various kinds of diseases are generated by the disturbance of the breath.

If someone wants to practice alternate nostril breathing like fiveelementtao describes, they should breathe very gently when they do it, with total relaxation and no forcing whatsoever.

Lots of yoga teachers can teach the method, but few know how to actually succeed at it.

After your nervous system is totally calm, then it's okay to begin adding some breath retention. There is the mental feeling that you need to breathe, then there's the physical sensation. Go past the mental feeling, and listen to the physical sensation. Don't aim for huge times in seconds, that's too forceful...use your body's reactions as biofeedback. If it's too much for you at the time, tone it back. Baby steps.

The 1:4:2 ratio may be too challenging to do comfortably. Start with like 2 seconds:6 seconds:4 seconds, and work up from that. When you start feeling a lack of oxygen, shaking, tensing up, getting headaches, etc...go back to an easier level for a while.

Important: after the inhale, gulp at the throat.

I learned the 1:4:2 breathing ratio from the book Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins.

I would normally start with a deep 3 -4 second inbreath, and do the rest. He wrote in the book that it's supposed to activate the lymphatic system and cleanse the blood, and refreshen, give energy. I tried it and after a few times I REALLY noticed an effect. I got like, hot flashes, and felt refreshed. I was impressed.

Edited by Non

Sign in to follow this