pushplay

Is Wong Kiew Kit for Real?

I've been considering joinning a Shaolin Wahnam course but after researching Wong Kiew Kit's career much of what he claims doesn't check, like his lineage and his methods which I heard must of them were invented by him. I also heard that he never attended a Tai chi class but only read books about it.

Could any one help me here?

Thanks

When I was first getting into qigong he seemed really appealing. Now that I know a little bit, I would advise you to look elsewhere!

When I was first getting into qigong he seemed really appealing. Now that I know a little bit, I would advise you to look elsewhere!

I second this.

Can you guys elaborate a bit?

Back when I first acquired an interest in chi kung Sifu Wong Kiew Kit's books and website were sort of like an "initiatory" experience for me. I had some good results practicing two of the chi kung forms he described (I believe they were "Lifting the Sky" and "Drawing the Moon").

The thing that bugged me about him and his school is that he tended to constantly repeat the same things over and over, almost like they were articles of religious faith, and his students would emulate him. The way he used to talk about how 'masters' are so precious made me uncomfortable as well.

Did anyone have similar misgivings?

Also, I remember Wong Kiew Kit mentioning something awhile back about wanting to demonstrate to people outside his school that internal martial arts really can be used for effective fighting. Did anything ever come of this?

Can you guys elaborate a bit?

Back when I first acquired an interest in chi kung Sifu Wong Kiew Kit's books and website were sort of like an "initiatory" experience for me. I had some good results practicing two of the chi kung forms he described (I believe they were "Lifting the Sky" and "Drawing the Moon").

The thing that bugged me about him and his school is that he tended to constantly repeat the same things over and over, almost like they were articles of religious faith, and his students would emulate him. The way he used to talk about how 'masters' are so precious made me uncomfortable as well.

Did anyone have similar misgivings?

Also, I remember Wong Kiew Kit mentioning something awhile back about wanting to demonstrate to people outside his school that internal martial arts really can be used for effective fighting. Did anything ever come of this?

I pretty had a similar experience that you had, and kind of view Wong Kiew Kit in the same category as Yang Jwing Ming. For a beginner, the books are great. I have a few friends that bought some of his (Wong Kiew Kit's) books as an introduction to martial arts, or an introduction to certain types of meditation/qigong, to get the history, a little modern background, and some moves (and they are very good at doing that).

It's not that Wong Kiew Kit's stuff is inherently bad or without substance. I just branched out and found other guys that were more my style, provided methods that vibed with me more, and overall I felt could sustain me in the long term.

I honestly don't know much about him personally, his lineage, or stuff like that. If one has misgivings about him, then in my opinion find someone else who gives you everything that you need. Some people get into Wong Kiew Kit's stuff and stick with it, I didn't.

Then again, I never trained with him personally or been to a class of his or anyone affiliated with him, it was mostly stuff I checked out from his books, I didn't feel the need to pursue what he taught in person. Maybe someone who has trained with him personally would have a much different opinion :)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

and kind of view Wong Kiew Kit in the same category as Yang Jwing Ming. For a beginner, the books are great.

+1

As my teacher likes to say - 'there are practitioners and there are scholars.'

Rarely does the expert practitioner write or the prolific author practice...

Just my $.02.

• Like 1

I want to mention something in Yang Jwing-Ming's defense - he says straight up that he does not have the Qigong experience, and encourages people to seek further instruction from other places. He makes it very clear that his writing is often based on his own theories and interpretations of texts. His De is clean. And that counts for a lot these days.

I like him, and will probably going to Graz to meet him this summer :)

• Like 3

I like Yang Jwing Ming. Reliable scholarly info...much more trustworthy than WKK! His embryonic breathing book, from what I've heard, and from seeing a preview on the web, has good instruction. However, YJM's stuff isn't meant to be a good guide for a beginner to practice from.

• Like 1

I like Yang Jwing Ming. Reliable scholarly info...much more trustworthy than WKK! His embryonic breathing book, from what I've heard, and from seeing a preview on the web, has good instruction. However, YJM's stuff isn't meant to be a good guide for a beginner to practice from.

Funny you should mention the Embryonic Breathing book, Scotty, as I took it out again yesterday after not looking through it for a while. I'm looking for info on the Mud Pill Palace for some reason :)

I'm going to post something from the book later when I get the chance.

You should get it, I think you'd be very happy with it, from what I can sense about you.

Thanks all of you for you advice, specially scotty and zhang you were very helpfull.

Just to make it clear I don't want to stain Wong KK's reputation but after seeing so many fakes out there risking people live's for a few bucks it's better to make sure. Any advice where could I find a good instructor. What about spring forest?

Edited by pushplay

I would keep in mind that almost any teacher of any repute has been called into question on this forum. Mantak Chia, Lama Dorje, Michael Winn, David Verdesi, Wang Liping, Waysun Liao, the list goes on and on.

Most people have strong allegiances to one school or form of practice than another, and sadly here this is often all too evident in critiques of differing schools. I would invite the WKK detractors to point out where his methods fail, if nothing more, than to educate beginners. Simply engaging in innuendo seems very cowardly to me.

• Like 1

Thanks all of you for you advice, specially scotty and zhang you were very helpfull.

Just to make it clear I don't want to stain Wong KK's reputation but after seeing so many fakes out there risking people live's for a few bucks it's better to make sure. Any advice where could I find a good instructor. What about spring forest?

B.K. Frantzis has some excellent books out. "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body", "Relaxing Into Your Being", and "The Great Stillness" (a second volume after relaxing into your being) teach excellent fundamental exercises that will get you in tune with your body, get you feeling energy, and really form an excellent foundation for anything you want to do.

For better or worse, Frantzis has explicitly said that he's not putting any "higher level" or "energy intensive" practices in book form, so to learn that from him you'll either have to go to a seminar or find some of his higher level students certified to teach.

But if you have the fundamentals down, and look around, you should be able to figure out for yourself what you can and cannot handle, and who is good for teaching what.

How could someone who intends to learn from a book themselves, condemn him for this? :P

I Never meant to condemn him for learning from a book, I "condemn" him for teaching something he has only experienced through books and never been guided by a master. And by the way I never said this was a fact I just heard that in another forum and wanted to check.

I've been considering joinning a Shaolin Wahnam course but after researching Wong Kiew Kit's career much of what he claims doesn't check, like his lineage and his methods which I heard must of them were invented by him. I also heard that he never attended a Tai chi class but only read books about it.

Could any one help me here?

Thanks

sorry to detract from all of the critics of Wong Sifu, but i just had to chime in.

i never, NEVER post here anymore. and this is one of the reasons. i was among these folks not so long ago. but i got over it with a little more time on the cushion.

i'm a teacher and a healer by trade. i don't have another day job. my latest endeavor is fighting cancer with my bare hands. and i'm not a personal student of Wong Sifu. but i can tell you that his methods work, that his qi transmissions are transformative (a good jump-start to a cultivation lifestyle), and his approach is a rare find, though it shouldn't be.

he's better than a ton of so-called masters out there. and many of his disciples first began training with the likes of bk frantzis (whom i also respect), michael winn, wang liping, etc., and chose to devote themselves to Wong Sifu's teachings.

one such disciple is Anthony Korahais. and here's an article that he wrote a few years ago. i give it out to every one of my students. http://flowingzen.com/depressionkills.pdf

the only real question you need to ask yourself is whether or not his approach is right for you. i personally think Flowing Breeze, Swaying Willow, is worth its weight in gold.

and remember, you don't have to marry the guy. just know that your money is not wasted should you decide to check him out.

and feel free to contact Anthony, the author of the article. he's good about answering the kinds of questions you may have, and he might even give you the big laundry list of masters he tried first.

there are some legitimate criticisms that can be made later on, but when it comes to foundation training i wouldn't hesitate to recommend shaolin cosmos qigong.

he's a beautiful guy.

+1

As my teacher likes to say - 'there are practitioners and there are scholars.'

Rarely does the expert practitioner write or the prolific author practice...

Just my $.02.

Your teacher hit the nail on the head with that statement.

there are some legitimate criticisms that can be made later on, but when it comes to foundation training i wouldn't hesitate to recommend shaolin cosmos qigong.

What criticisms?

sorry to detract from all of the critics of Wong Sifu, but i just had to chime in.

i never, NEVER post here anymore. and this is one of the reasons. i was among these folks not so long ago. but i got over it with a little more time on the cushion.

i'm a teacher and a healer by trade. i don't have another day job. my latest endeavor is fighting cancer with my bare hands. and i'm not a personal student of Wong Sifu. but i can tell you that his methods work, that his qi transmissions are transformative (a good jump-start to a cultivation lifestyle), and his approach is a rare find, though it shouldn't be.

he's better than a ton of so-called masters out there. and many of his disciples first began training with the likes of bk frantzis (whom i also respect), michael winn, wang liping, etc., and chose to devote themselves to Wong Sifu's teachings.

one such disciple is Anthony Korahais. and here's an article that he wrote a few years ago. i give it out to every one of my students. http://flowingzen.com/depressionkills.pdf

the only real question you need to ask yourself is whether or not his approach is right for you. i personally think Flowing Breeze, Swaying Willow, is worth its weight in gold.

and remember, you don't have to marry the guy. just know that your money is not wasted should you decide to check him out.

and feel free to contact Anthony, the author of the article. he's good about answering the kinds of questions you may have, and he might even give you the big laundry list of masters he tried first.

he's a beautiful guy.

It seems to be a personal opinion his shaolin roots. Maybe someone should ask one of the kung fu forums about him since the style he practiced is Hung Ka kyun (Hong jia quan) a southern boxing style,  pretty well know among practitioners