Sign in to follow this  
heavenlygong

Mantras - Please share your insight, experience etc.

Dear Tao Bums,

I have been silently lurking around for the last couple days and searching the archives to read some amazing stuff here. I hope my question on mantras is not out of the forum's scope! If it is, I request the moderators to remove this thread :-)

My main cultivation practice has been Mantra. Hindus hold mantra as a complete cultivation practice and I am told that Mantrayana of Tibet holds a similar opinion. My questions are:

1. Does anyone here have mantra as their sole or primary practice? Have you achieved your required goal with it?

2. Are mantras and mindfulness same or similar? I have read Shing Zen's article comparing the two and he thinks they are for different purposes. Buddhists, most probably the theras seem to think of mantra practice as a shamata practice to attain dhyana states. So, that would mean repeating anything, even cola, would have the same effect? And Shing Zen seems to think of Zazen as better than mantra chanting for some reasons.

Yogani on the other hand thinks mantra takes one much deeper than watching breath and states that mantra goes deeper even after the breath has suspended.

What do the Bums here feel about these two theories? Is it as simple as do what works for you or is there some universal observation here?

3. Hindus (and Tibetan Buddhists who clearly get their idea of mantras and tantra from Hindus) hold mantras as revealed sacred sounds which have a particular deity or enlightened being associated with the sound and bringing specific benefits. Like reciting a certain type of Tara mantra saves one from physical danger etc. Is this the case or its simply one pointed concentration that brings some kind of benefit or the mantras actually have something more to them like the Hindus and Tibetans hold?

I am seriously evaluating my current practice and would like help. Please share your inputs and experiences w.r.t mantra practice. I really want to figure out if mantra is simply a practice to calm mind or there is more to it like deities, sacred energy etc.

Good, thoughtful post. Mantra jap (repetition) has increasingly taken over as the main linking spiritual practice for me. There are two reasons: it is so easy to do it and fit it into your day (recommend having a wrist mala), and it is a very nice way of reminding me that spiritual practice must involve the entire life. I've used mantra jap to tame the monkey mind by putting all those spare moments on the bus, walking etc to good use.

My mantra is Om Namah Shivaay.

I get much the same energetic stimulation from mantra jap as I get from a good session of qigong.

Now with respect to what exactly mantra do: they work on many levels and so any attempt to describe what they do will inevitably fall short. They can be used as a mindfulness tool to focus the mind. But in most non-Theravadin schools, mantra is more than that: it can be prayer invoking the support of various spiritual beings, and in other cases manipulation of energy (both within and outside the body). The same is true (very broadly stated) in Hinduism where the science of sound (Nada brahma) has been refined to an extraordinary degree and for various different purposes. The qigong method I practice uses Om Mani Padme Hung both as a prayer to the Buddhas, and also a way of getting energy circulating throughout the body.

I'd recommend you read Russill Paul's work "The Yoga of Sound" and his other works. http://www.russillpaul.com/yogaofsound.html Paul explores the different types of mantra in the Indian tradition. He has several recordings too. However, Paul's pronunciation of Sanskrit seems to me to be a bit questionable, for instance, he seems to confuse Hindi pronunciation for Sanskrit pronunciation. Thomas Ashley Farrand is another you could consider, but the jury is out on him.

Traditionally mantra needs to be imparted from guru to teacher. In the Hindu tradition this is because you need the right mantra to suit your constitution and goals, because correct pronunciation is crucial and as it has the benefit of tapping into the lineage energy. Having said that, I have been told that if one gets most of the pronunciation correct and recites with the right intent, you will derive some benefit from the mantra.

Personally, I think the mantra Om Ah Hung is very effective as a basic mantra. It is used in quite a few Buddhist-derived qigong practices, and I've seen several explanations of what this mantra does. The consensus seems to be that they are the primordial sounds. It always gets my body buzzing away. It is also used throughout Tibetan Buddhism.

Ideally you should have a new mala (108 beads) for every mantra; only do one mantra at a time; and aim for a minimum of 40 days reciting (at least) one round of the mala daily. Purely mental repetition is said to be the best; mental repetition but with moving lips the next best; and vocal repetition the least effective. Having said that, what is the most effective method depends on your make-up. I've always found mental with lips moving the best since I can comfortably go on for ages, while the other two methods are too much of a struggle.

Edited by altiora

Dear Tao Bums,

I have been silently lurking around for the last couple days and searching the archives to read some amazing stuff here. I hope my question on mantras is not out of the forum's scope! If it is, I request the moderators to remove this thread :-)

My main cultivation practice has been Mantra. Hindus hold mantra as a complete cultivation practice and I am told that Mantrayana of Tibet holds a similar opinion. My questions are:

1. Does anyone here have mantra as their sole or primary practice? Have you achieved your required goal with it?

2. Are mantras and mindfulness same or similar? I have read Shing Zen's article comparing the two and he thinks they are for different purposes. Buddhists, most probably the theras seem to think of mantra practice as a shamata practice to attain dhyana states. So, that would mean repeating anything, even cola, would have the same effect? And Shing Zen seems to think of Zazen as better than mantra chanting for some reasons.

Yogani on the other hand thinks mantra takes one much deeper than watching breath and states that mantra goes deeper even after the breath has suspended.

What do the Bums here feel about these two theories? Is it as simple as do what works for you or is there some universal observation here?

3. Hindus (and Tibetan Buddhists who clearly get their idea of mantras and tantra from Hindus) hold mantras as revealed sacred sounds which have a particular deity or enlightened being associated with the sound and bringing specific benefits. Like reciting a certain type of Tara mantra saves one from physical danger etc. Is this the case or its simply one pointed concentration that brings some kind of benefit or the mantras actually have something more to them like the Hindus and Tibetans hold?

I am seriously evaluating my current practice and would like help. Please share your inputs and experiences w.r.t mantra practice. I really want to figure out if mantra is simply a practice to calm mind or there is more to it like deities, sacred energy etc.

The Yoga master I studied with also had a similar philosophy about mantra being superior to just watching breath. The idea is that the mantra neutralizes the monkey mind and imprints the vibration onto the subconscious.

There are different types of mantras. Some are deity mantras, some are for opening certain centers and meridians, some are "siddhi" mantras. There are so many and each school has different mantras for different purposes.

Some mantras are all purpose mantras than anyone can benefit from. Om Namah Shivaya is a good example. Other mantras are very specific and very powerful and should not be undertaken without proper guidance...

There are three ways to chant mantras: Out loud, whispered and silently. Out loud fills the body and aura with the mantra's vibration, whispered fills the mental realms, silently is said to be the most powerful unting the mind with Infinity...

I have used mantra as my main spiritual discipline in the past.

Not all mantras are equal. The tantric mantras can be so powerful and specific that if you are not suited for it, the mantra can actually be harmful.

A very good way to find out which mantra is best is to get an astrological reading with someone who knows the astrological properties of mantras. I someone just chooses a mantra because they think they want to connect with such and such deity or wants such and such siddhi, they can really mess themselves up, because sanskrit mantras also have a very specific connection to one's astrology.

There is a guy on the web who is very good and can help link one with their astrological deities and help determine which mantras can help connect you to your highest destiny and overcome karmic issues. His name is Freedom Cole. I think his site is http://www.shrifreedom.org I used him a couple times when I was deep into yoga and it was very helpful. He really understands sanskrit mantra and is quite an accomplished yogi.

Guest sykkelpump

Hello,I have done both mantra and anapanasati(watching the breath).I think anapanasati is much better than mantra.firstly you focus on the breath which is already there.you dont have to create a focus point(mantra),which is actually mind activity and not what you want.the other thing is that breath will always disturb you a little when you meditate on a mantra.it is impossible to not notice it and get distracted by it.but if your breath is your focus point then there is only thoughts which can disturb you.with mantra there is thoughts and the breath which can disturb you.I have gone much deeper with anapanasat than mantra.

here is the free book I learned from:

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Books/Pdf...20Sutta%202.pdf

I use this Mantra:

EK ONG KAR SAT NAM SIRI WHA GURU

For First and Second Chakras; Hui-Yin and Lower Dan Tien + To Help Awaken Kundalini (or Pass the Yin Qi in the LDT to the meeting place "huiyin" to help the coiled snake open the first gate and ascend the path to shen.

It's good while you're doing this that you also assume the Guyan Mudra which also helps stimulate LDT and Hui-Yin / Root chakra.

:lol:

Edited by effilang

I do have a mantra but it is not a sole or primary practice, at least not right now. I can't achieve my goal with it yet, because it's a Maitreya mantra and Maitreya is yet to come. (I would never choose a buddhist mantra myself, by the way. Funny how these things work. It was given to me as part of an offer I couldn't refuse.)

It is not the same as mindfulness. Mindfulness maintains the status quo but changes your perspective. Things are the way they are, mindfulness allows you to notice the way they are more fully. A mantra is transformative to the status quo. Things no longer are the way they were before the mantra was activated.

If it's given in a sacred context, yes. If it's chosen randomly outside of such context, I believe one might get more mileage out of other practices. Mantra has to be individual, not generic, if it doesn't resonate with who you are it will be like playing Bob Marley on a harp, or Metallica on a violin, or Mozart on a drum... "something" will happen but not something very useful.

It is absolutely true about true mantras that they have divine powers, and the opposite is true about homemade or randomly picked mantras -- these can be used just as points of concentration on "something."

FWIW :)

Edited by Taomeow

this is a great thread

As of right now I am very interested in finding the right mantra for me

I am particularly interested in tantric sanskrit mantras from shaivism and vajrayana, but also others as well

I someone just chooses a mantra because they think they want to connect with such and such deity or wants such and such siddhi, they can really mess themselves up, because sanskrit mantras also have a very specific connection to one's astrology.

There is a guy on the web who is very good and can help link one with their astrological deities and help determine which mantras can help connect you to your highest destiny and overcome karmic issues. His name is Freedom Cole. I think his site is http://www.shrifreedom.org I used him a couple times when I was deep into yoga and it was very helpful. He really understands sanskrit mantra and is quite an accomplished yogi.

Does this go for mantras in vajrayana buddhism as well?

If I get a mantra empowerment from a qualified teacher in a particular tradition is this sufficient to prevent any undesirable harm that could possibly come from using such a mantra?

im beginning to think that anapanasati is the only practice I can safely do anymore..........

Right now I just want to be able to safely use one of those all in one sanskrit 100 megaton mantras as my main practice. One that is easy to concentrate on, that helps open up nadis/chakras, gets one in touch with some kind of superbeing/master (in a safe way) and that promises rebirth in some kind of pure land or higher realm.

another thing about mantras I find is that the less syllables they contain the deeper I go, MUCH deeper and much more easily, and without mental "stress"

also some mantras just flow much more smoothly when you say them so they put less stress on your vocal areas and produce less tension there.

It was weird when I did a forty day mantra practice with one of the mantras from the book "Healing Mantras." In the middle of the forty day discipline, I was at Home Depot with my Mom getting some mulch. We were in the garden section, and I was reciting the mantra mentally. All of a sudden, the external world, for a brief moment seemed "dreamlike" and that's the best way I can describe it.

I am particularly interested in tantric sanskrit mantras from shaivism and vajrayana, but also others as well

Does this go for mantras in vajrayana buddhism as well?

If I get a mantra empowerment from a qualified teacher in a particular tradition is this sufficient to prevent any undesirable harm that could possibly come from using such a mantra?

I don't know enough about Buddhism to say. Buddhist mantras are also sanskrit and are very powerful it is best to get empowerment from a qualified teacher. The problem in Hindu sanskrit mantras in the context I was referring to is that mantras also activate certain planets. If you have "bad" planet that you are unaware of, by picking a mantra that is not best for your horoscope, you could be activating a planetary influence that might actually make aspects of your life more difficult... So, without the guidance of a good teacher, it's best to pick one of the "all purpose" mantras...

I like Gayatri Mantra and Om but Om as my favourite!

Does Maoshan use Om in there system 5elemental?

Well, I can only speak for the mantras I was taught by a Mao Shan teacher of mine. and I can't speak for every teacher.... Different teachers teach different things... So it is possible there are others I don't know about.

I have been taught a couple sanskrit seed mantras from Mao Shan masters... specifically: Hreem (heart), Huu and Hoong. These are very standard Sanskrit seed mantras used in both Tibetan and Hindu sanskrit mantras, so one could safely assume that OM has a place in Mao Shan too. I was taught a specific mudra for the Hreem mantra and the Hoom mantra...

i use mantras & zikr a lot.

Its very powerful.

i believe its good to have a good Mantra+ yantra + asana (Posture) + Mudra (internal or external) + Breath (Chi Kung or Pranayam) + Bandha (Lock). its the whole package.

In Bonpo & in Tantra as I was taught and in Sufism the Mantra or Zikr is done with Specific breath work. etc.

peace

s

I don't know enough about Buddhism to say. Buddhist mantras are also sanskrit and are very powerful it is best to get empowerment from a qualified teacher. The problem in Hindu sanskrit mantras in the context I was referring to is that mantras also activate certain planets. If you have "bad" planet that you are unaware of, by picking a mantra that is not best for your horoscope, you could be activating a planetary influence that might actually make aspects of your life more difficult... So, without the guidance of a good teacher, it's best to pick one of the "all purpose" mantras...

Could you please cite the shastra or samhita (i.e. scriptural support) that states this relationship between mantras and planets?

I can't see it written in the Rg veda, upanisads or puranas myself. There are specific planetary mantras, but these are later era tantric innovations. But, of course, I am open to correction.

As far as I understand, one can recite any of the traditional mantram invoking the deities quite safely. They have nothing to do with anything material. You don't need "astrologers", those high priests of superstition, to control you on this.

Indian peoples have recited mantras for many thousands of years, and continue to do so, to attract a particular quality of divine energy into their lives. The 40 day mantra discipline is an accepted practice by everyday Indian people. If you access any reputable Indian online bookshop, you will find many books (some better than others) with various mantras and their uses.

What benefits you receive from the jap depend on Divine Grace. In this respect, it should be noted that rarely do Indians recite the mantra by itself: it is done in conjunction with regular worship and devotion, and it is this worship and devotion that empowers the mantra jap.

What will cause problems with mantra is where they are used by deluded spiritual materialists seeking siddhi, or by the spiritually promiscuous who hop from one discipline or mantra to another. This is not because the mantra will or could harm them, but rather because they are wasting their time or feeding their avaricious ego or both. But this problem is not unique to mantra jap.

Having said that, I do believe that if you wish to make mantra jap your main discipline, then you should seek a properly qualified teacher. Again, this is to stop yourself from wasting your precious time.

Edited by altiora

Could you please cite the shastra or samhita (i.e. scriptural support) that states this relationship between mantras and planets?

I can't see it written in the Rg veda, upanisads or puranas myself. There are specific planetary mantras, but these are later era tantric innovations. But, of course, I am open to correction.

Well, I was a tantric. So, that makes sense to me...If you are adverse to tantric understanding, you may have a different opinion than I do... I was asked to share my opinion. So, I did.... I agree with you that all general mantras are safe. The deeper one gets into the more esoteric mantras, the more information one needs in order to best utilize them.

For scriptural references, I would direct you to the gentleman I previously mentioned. He is the expert in that regard. He has a very informative website with alot of info. www.shrifreedom.org He gave me mantras from the rg veda specifically for the moon and the sun. Which I still use on occasion. But, I am not a yogic scholar. I am simply sharing what I was taught and what was my experience.

tantric astrology is about understanding the karma you brought with you. Understanding the planets in one's chart helps one to find paths that best work through their karma. This includes mantras. They are very powerful tools. There is no reason in my opinion not to explore all the tools available to use... Exploring my vedic chart was very helpful to me. It may also be to others.

i believe its good to have a good Mantra+ yantra + asana (Posture) + Mudra (internal or external) + Breath (Chi Kung or Pranayam) + Bandha (Lock). its the whole package.

My brother Vaj is right. all of these are very helpful in getting the most out of mantra work. Also knowing where to place the sound is helpful...

Edited by fiveelementtao

...Metallica on a violin...

Metallica Played By Four Cellos: Enter Sandman

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My most sincere thanks to all who shared some amazing info here. Looking forward to hearing from more Tao Bums :)

FiveElementTao may be correct in the sense all mantras don't work for all, or are not suited for all. I would also not try to distinguish between vedic and tantric mantras. This website talks about some tips on mantra practice. My Sanskrit is only elementary but it is good information.

Other people are teachers, but in my experience with breath watching and mantras is this. For me the importance is to get to a deep state as quickly as I can so the qi cycles better and the kundalini cleans more quickly, also to experience unusual energy states. What happens sometimes is that breath watching can hit a wall in terms of going down, and I can switch to mantra, get down a notch, then go back to breath watching since its quieter. Its an interesting case, and vice versa can occur. Of course I feel my energy cycling and note its progress or lack thereof, so I prove this on a daily basis.

• Like 1

In this respect, it should be noted that rarely do Indians recite the mantra by itself: it is done in conjunction with regular worship and devotion, and it is this worship and devotion that empowers the mantra jap.

What will cause problems with mantra is where they are used by deluded spiritual materialists seeking siddhi, or by the spiritually promiscuous who hop from one discipline or mantra to another. This is not because the mantra will or could harm them, but rather because they are wasting their time or feeding their avaricious ego or both. But this problem is not unique to mantra jap.

Having said that, I do believe that if you wish to make mantra jap your main discipline, then you should seek a properly qualified teacher. Again, this is to stop yourself from wasting your precious time.

Well said altiora. This is my understanding too.

It is the quality of worship and devotion (just want to add practice here) that empowers the mantras. All spiritual practices within the context of certain Buddhist schools have the inclusion of mantras specific to those practices, and has to be worked accordingly. The recitation of mantras minus the support of the practices will not yield any lasting benefits, in the sense that negative habitual tendencies, with their roots in the mind, will not be transformed by mere chanting of mantras. People wish it was that simple, and are always looking for the easiest and quickest ways to get results. Mantras are not the 'nitrous oxide' of the vehicle of the mind.

Empowerments from the lineage masters are for whole practices - not just for the mantras alone. Of course the less authentic self-styled gurus will still sell you one, if you're looking to buy. As a bonus, they will throw in a story about how immensely powerful that mantra is, and if recited in this way or that, it will be like putting on roller skates! But what they dont say is one must of course first learn to skate. Learning to skate is like doing the practices, as mentioned. No short-cuts.

Well said altiora. This is my understanding too.

It is the quality of worship and devotion (just want to add practice here) that empowers the mantras. All spiritual practices within the context of certain Buddhist schools have the inclusion of mantras specific to those practices, and has to be worked accordingly. The recitation of mantras minus the support of the practices will not yield any lasting benefits, in the sense that negative habitual tendencies, with their roots in the mind, will not be transformed by mere chanting of mantras. People wish it was that simple, and are always looking for the easiest and quickest ways to get results. Mantras are not the 'nitrous oxide' of the vehicle of the mind.

Empowerments from the lineage masters are for whole practices - not just for the mantras alone. Of course the less authentic self-styled gurus will still sell you one, if you're looking to buy. As a bonus, they will throw in a story about how immensely powerful that mantra is, and if recited in this way or that, it will be like putting on roller skates! But what they dont say is one must of course first learn to skate. Learning to skate is like doing the practices, as mentioned. No short-cuts.

Some mantras or Phrases or a Zikr or a formula of various zikr can be like reciting VOLUMES of Sutras or Scriptures in just one small phrase.

Hence why some are called "essence" mantras.

Well, I was a tantric. So, that makes sense to me...If you are adverse to tantric understanding, you may have a different opinion than I do... I was asked to share my opinion. So, I did.... I agree with you that all general mantras are safe. The deeper one gets into the more esoteric mantras, the more information one needs in order to best utilize them.

For scriptural references, I would direct you to the gentleman I previously mentioned. He is the expert in that regard. He has a very informative website with alot of info. www.shrifreedom.org He gave me mantras from the rg veda specifically for the moon and the sun. Which I still use on occasion. But, I am not a yogic scholar. I am simply sharing what I was taught and what was my experience.

tantric astrology is about understanding the karma you brought with you. Understanding the planets in one's chart helps one to find paths that best work through their karma. This includes mantras. They are very powerful tools. There is no reason in my opinion not to explore all the tools available to use... Exploring my vedic chart was very helpful to me. It may also be to others.

My brother Vaj is right. all of these are very helpful in getting the most out of mantra work. Also knowing where to place the sound is helpful...

Indeed brother. Location can also be Key. Its like hitting a switch inside.

So yes knowing where to chant with in and also with out can greatly make huge shifts for you.

peace

s

My most sincere thanks to all who shared some amazing info here. Looking forward to hearing from more Tao Bums :)

FiveElementTao may be correct in the sense all mantras don't work for all, or are not suited for all. I would also not try to distinguish between vedic and tantric mantras. This website talks about some tips on mantra practice. My Sanskrit is only elementary but it is good information.

it is a science aswell see a mantra can produce a certain frequency or can act like a key to release or open certain gateways. And using the "Sound" can access certain parts of the brain that would take longer in other manners. It also helps you to bring both hemispheres together in to harmony if you have Yantra & Mantra going on.

the Breath is the Glue & the Super charger.

Well, I can only speak for the mantras I was taught by a Mao Shan teacher of mine. and I can't speak for every teacher.... Different teachers teach different things... So it is possible there are others I don't know about.

I have been taught a couple sanskrit seed mantras from Mao Shan masters... specifically: Hreem (heart), Huu and Hoong. These are very standard Sanskrit seed mantras used in both Tibetan and Hindu sanskrit mantras, so one could safely assume that OM has a place in Mao Shan too. I was taught a specific mudra for the Hreem mantra and the Hoom mantra...

Hu was also part of ancient egypt & Sumer. Aswell as OM. Om is also Ah Ohm Hum as one.

All of these are sacred names for the Divine & its essences.

Om is the same in Sufi as Bismilairahmaniroheem.

Runes can also be used as a mantra or a Chant.

Also the 5 vowels and combinations of them have great effects on many levels

A E I O U

peace

s

everything has a mantra & a Yantra.

everything has a mantra & a Yantra.

As others here have pointed out, before getting much into mantra or anything else there is always yama and niyama practice in yoga.

Yama and Niyama, the misunderstood yoga

(quoted excerpt from Bruce Boyd for anyone interested)

"I think nothing about yoga could be more sadly misunderstood than the principles of Yama and Niyama. As you may already know, according to an ancient and widely accepted system set down by the yogi Pantanjali, there are 8 "limbs" (astanga) of yoga, which are arranged in an order suggesting that they might be steps towards the ultimate goal of union with God. Considering that the translation of the sanskrit word "yoga" is "union", that assumption seems reasonable. Problems arise however in the assumption that the beginning limbs/steps of yoga are more easily understood. They are certainly the most familiar concepts to us: the first limb being moral restrictions and the last limb being complete merger with God.

The entire list is:

Yama (moral restrictions; "don'ts")

Niyama (encouraged daily behaviors; "dos")

Asanas (special yogic physical exercises)

Pranayama (yogic breathing exercises)

Pratyahara (withdrawal of the mind from the 5 senses)

Dhahran (concentration exercises)

Dhyana (contemplation of God)

Samadhi (union with God)

Surprisingly, to me the order suggests levels of *decreasing* likelihood of misunderstanding what the limb is all about, but for the moment let me focus on Yama and Niyama for a couple of reasons:

A. Practicing them is absolutely crucial to making any progress in yoga

B. A proper understanding of how they work can alleviate a lot of unnecessary fear about them

Yama yoga consists of 5 things that a yogi should not do if he wants to get anywhere with his yoga.

1. Don't hurt anyone (includes thoughts and words as well as physical actions)

2. Don't lie for personal gain (also includes thoughts)

3. Don't take property that belongs to others (also includes thoughts and words)

4. Don't hoard unneeded things (also includes thoughts and words)

5. Don't seek personal pleasure from the world (also includes thoughts and words)

Niyama yoga consists of 5 things that a yogi SHOULD do if he wants to get enlightened

1. Do keep your body, mind and environment clean (includes thoughts and words)

2. Do maintain a peaceful/cheerful mental state (obviously includes thoughts and words)

3. Do study spiritual books (ideally involves thoughts, words and action)

4. Do make personal sacrifices for the welfare of others (includes thoughts and words)

5. Do make God the purpose of your life (obviously involves thoughts, words, and action)

There are already plenty of books going into great detail on these points. My purpose is only to point out something about these "rules" that I feel has been sadly overlooked, and that is the tremendously liberating effect they can have. My guru often said "a yogis is a practical man," and all the limbs of yoga are part of a scientific system designed to bring great joy to the practitioner, not frustration and guilt. Yama and Niyama are not a set of rules set up to make life more convenient for parents, teachers and heads of state. They are a direct tool for the liberation of true intellect. And most amazing of all is that the effects are immediate; assuming you really "get" the principles and practice them in your life. One of the areas where most religion has failed us is giving us the notion that if we behave properly now, we will reap the benefits somewhere way down the road. To paraphrase: good behavior now will give us only frustration in this life and we are left to hope that a reward will come in the afterlife. Some people find comfort in that; most folks, however, are looking for more from life than that way of thinking can offer us, resulting in the completely unnecessary lack of popularity of religion these days.

Back in the 60s and 70s when Eastern religion became very popular in the West, young people got all excited by the more practical possibility of enlightenment, but unfortunately threw the baby out with the bath-water and rushed briskly past moral principles, so they could quickly get on with the veg diet, fasting, yoga asanas and meditation. In my mind, this was a major mistake and possibly the very reason the whole Eastern religion boom fizzled out leaving us with nothing more than commercial yoga schools on every corner. It just doesn't work like that, and I find it very sadly unnecessary.

Back in those days I told a friend that my take on the various limbs of yoga was that "meditation is what really gets us to the goal and the other stuff just makes the journey more comfortable". His response surprised me. He said he always felt that "Asanas are the practice that gets one to enlightenment and meditation only gives us a glimpse of the goal." Well.... nowadays I think a strong case can be made for yama and niyama being the practices that actually get us to enlightenment and the other limbs only serve to flesh out the basic structure set down in yama and niyama. What more could there be to spiritual life than Yama and Niyama? Of course the other limbs of yoga are very important. They are the nuts and bolts, the "how to" of the various points of Yama and Niyama. Similarly, within each of these other limbs (asanas, pranayama etc) there is an ocean of knowledge which must be acquired from a competent teacher.

So, Yama and Niyama are an indispensable base; furthermore an integral part and starting point of yoga, but in those roles they needn't be seen as an unfortunate impediment to juicing the joy out of yoga. If you check the list of exercise classes at any local gym you will certainly find an asana class, but I doubt you will find a class on Yama and Niyama. You won't even find one at your neighborhood yoga school, and that is kind of sad to me, because there is so much joy hidden in Yama and Niyama..."

Om (a safe mantra)

hey 3bob! Nice post! Yama and Niyama is like the foundation, similar to Right View and Right Intention in the Buddhist Eightfold Path.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

Mindfulness need not depend on whether one uses a mantra or some other object of meditation. In Buddhist thought, concentration and mindfulness are to be developed together, not one or the other. It does no good to have good concentration, but a dull, unaware mind. Or a sharp mind that can never stay put long enough to investigate anything. Having said that, I've found that concentration comes and goes, but the mindfulness I develop in meditation directly carries over into daily life.

In Chan Buddhism, a student might start out chanting "Amitofu." Later on, the master may ask, "Who is reciting the Buddha's name?"

hey 3bob! Nice post! Yama and Niyama is like the foundation, similar to Right View and Right Intention in the Buddhist Eightfold Path.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

glad you related to the quote CowTao :)

post-51155-1262806195_thumb.jpg

Hu was also part of ancient egypt & Sumer.

Yes indeed! as well as with some Sikh and Sufis. For them it is the Name of God. In Egypt it was considered the breath of Atum fertilizing Creation. Hu is the sound of Spirit descending to matter... Shiva fertilizing Shakti.. That is why it is the Earth sound. It is Spirit descending to Earth. It is the breath of the avatar, it is the breath of Shiva. I learned 4 different syllables to put at the end of the sound which changes the effect and opens different centers. Hu is one of my all time favorites. It is a gateway to transformation and enlightenment... IME anyway....

Sign in to follow this