glooper23

Starting to get it

I met with a new friend yesterday in downtown Chicago. He claims to follow Zen Buddhism and Taoism. After a lengthy discussion, I started to really get Taoism. Concepts that were originally confusing, such as wu wei and oneness, began to click.

On my three hour drive home, I decided to apply what I've learned. Instead of thinking about this being a 3 hour drive with music blasting and thoughts swirling in my head, I considered only the focused moment. I turned off the radio and chose to do what I was doing in each moment. For each moment in those three hours, I was driving. When my mind wandered, I went back to driving. When I started to consider the future, I shifted back into driving at that moment.

As this process continued, the thoughts of the past and future became more joyful and exciting. I still shifted back to the present, but my life became more enthralling. I was excited to get home and play guitar, something that had become uninteresting lately. When I came home, I decided to continue this exercise of just doing what I was doing. My mom asked about my trip, so I set down my bags and talked instead of talking and unpacking. I focused on the discussion and nothing else. When I went to get a drink, I stopped thinking about mom and focused on drinking the water.

In everyday life, I can appreciate the ability to multitask. I'm also starting to appreciate the ability to focus on the task at hand rather than being a million miles away.

The practice of doing what I'm doing and not doing what I'm not doing is fulfilling.

Edited by glooper23

Thanks. You two and others have been a powerful influence on my life.

Hehehe. I hope you are not using my posts in that 'objective reality' thread to guage my value. I sometimes amaze myself.

Peace & Love!

Mindfulness. Very useful. Helps one to avoid distractions. When distracted, helps one to re-enter into mindfulness.

Wonderful quality to cultivate. If wisdom be the aim, mindfulness would be the path.

Well done! :)