Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Losing weight is one of my goals

Currently I am 5'11 and weigh 198. I'd like to learn some exercises to lose some of that and get down to around 180.

Any suggestions? Exercises, dietary regimens?

Science backed up with results:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Health-Weight-Yo...5155&sr=8-1

Product Description

Hundreds of medical doctors utilize Dr. Fuhrman s Eat For Health system in their medical practice. It is because all diets fail, for vast majority, in the long-run, unless there is an adequate understanding of nutrient density of food and how low-nutrient-eating leads to food cravings, food addictions and fuels overeating behavior.

Dr. Fuhrman s Eat For Health is a medical breakthrough because without this fascinating information you are essentially destined to be struggling with dieting forever, compelled to consume excess calories, and not be able to comfortable and permanently maintain a lighter, healthier weight. Dr. Fuhrman is the founder of the high nutrient eating style and a pioneer in the growing field of nutritional medicine.

Now with Eat For Health, (a two-book set) Dr. Fuhrman has taken his bestselling Eat To Live book a gigantic step further, he has made his approach nation-friendly, now everyone can easily do it. "Dr. Fuhrman s nutritional approach to the prevention and management of chronic disease is the most significant medical advance I have seen in my career as a physician. " John V. Forrest, M.D. Professor UCSD Medical School

Thousands who have recovered from their medical problems have been calling Dr. Fuhrman s Eat For Health program a medical miracle. We are not just talking about the people who have lost their excess weight after failing for years on one diet after another, but diseases, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, allergies, asthma, autoimmune illnesses (including lupus) and headaches have simply melted away.

Published medical research already documents this as the most effective weight loss method ever recorded in medical history. There was an average two year weight loss of 53 pounds. Most importantly they kept the weight off.

This complete two-book set actually teaches you how to prefer a health-promoting diet-style over a disease-promoting diet. The hallmark of healthy eating is to consume more foods that contain a high nutrient density and less food with a low nutrient density.

To make it easy, Dr. Fuhrman has scored thousands of foods so that in each of the 4 phases, the nutrient density of the suggested menus increases. The outcome is that when you eat enough high nutrient foods you can reverse most medical problems without drugs. If diets never worked for you in the past you will now understand why and you will be motivated to lose your excess weight and get well again.

Eat For Health can save your life. Dr. Fuhrman s MANDI food and meal scoring system (patent pending) lets you know exactly how healthy your diet is. You can choose your own level of nutritional excellence and you can move forward to a higher level at your own pace when you are ready or you can pump it up to phase four to get maximal weight loss and therapeutic effect to reverse disease.

High Nutrient Food, Not Drugs, Is The Prescription Book two contains the menus and recipes. It teaches you how to make this diet work easily for you and your family. With over 150 delicious and easy recipes, it makes high nutrient eating truly gourmet. From strengthening your taste buds to dealing with temptation, restaurant eating, to eating on the road, this program will make sure you can do it, enjoy it, and even fit it into your busy schedule.

It is guaranteed to change your life forever. A scientifically proven system to have you lose your food addictions and actually prefer healthy foods over low-nutrient food. A gradual, 4 phase program with custom menus so you can adjust the program to your individual needs and preferences. Everyday recipes that taste phenomenal and are easy to make. A nutrient scoring system to measure the nutritional quality of your diet. Remove toxic hunger and you will succeed at losing weight and keeping it off forever!

I have the 'Eat to Live' and the fasting books. I, like has been stated by others, found the 'Eat to Live' too big a leap, to extreme a change. However, it is interesting to see that Dr Fuhrman has modified this approach now to make things more gradual.

I'd also add, I wasn't impressed with the recipies in 'Eat to Live'. It looks like that has been addressed now, and I will pick up a copy of the new information. If the recipies are good, I'll post some feedback.

Another good, less radical site is this one:

www.whfoods.org. I've made several recipies from this site, and they all tasted excellent. Highly recommended.

Exercise? Distance running. Start with walking, build it up. Even jogging on the spot is good.

The interview with this author is very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Supe...6219&sr=1-3

Some people may argue over the running, but you don't see many fat long distance runners...

One last, but probably the most important, thing. Make sure you understand clearly what you motivation for doing this is, and make sure it is compelling enough for you. I don't think anyone gives a fig what their weight is. Health, yes. Appearance, yes. It is important to be aware of the real reason behind doing something, so that we can be sure it is what we want.

Currently I am 5'11 and weigh 198. I'd like to learn some exercises to lose some of that and get down to around 180.

Weight loss is one of my goals too. A recent article in Time magazine stated that 70% of weight loss is attributed to diet, 30% to exercise. The approach I will be trying is to eliminate foods containing flour and sugar (as well as corn syrup, etc) as much as possible...and emphasizing eating things that actually exist in nature (veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, some animal products, etc.), in accordance with our species evolutionary development as hunter-gatherers. A lot of what I've been reading states that grains, even whole grain ones, are not optimal foods for humans. Some of the books I've been looking at are Primal Option by Mark Sisson, The No Grain Diet by Mercola and The Gabriel Method by Jon Gabriel. I don't think a vegan diet like Fuhrman advocates is necessary, although it can be a viable option for those so inclined.

I agree with MJJ Becker's exercise advice. Start VERY gradually with easily obtainable goals to avoid stress and discouragement, not to mention injury. The military uses walking, running and calisthenics such as push ups and sit ups. Weight lifting is said to be effective too, although you may gain weight initially from increased muscle mass. My personal experience has been that the qigong, tai chi, and Iyengar yoga that I have been doing for the past decade or so, while I really enjoy them and know they offer many benefits, are not ideal exercises for weight loss (for me anyway). Therefore I intend to add more western-type exercises this year. Good luck in attaining your goal Innerspace Cadet.

I have the 'Eat to Live' and the fasting books. I, like has been stated by others, found the 'Eat to Live' too big a leap, to extreme a change. However, it is interesting to see that Dr Fuhrman has modified this approach now to make things more gradual.

I'd also add, I wasn't impressed with the recipies in 'Eat to Live'. It looks like that has been addressed now, and I will pick up a copy of the new information. If the recipies are good, I'll post some feedback.

Another good, less radical site is this one:

www.whfoods.org. I've made several recipies from this site, and they all tasted excellent. Highly recommended.

Exercise? Distance running. Start with walking, build it up. Even jogging on the spot is good.

The interview with this author is very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Supe...6219&sr=1-3

Some people may argue over the running, but you don't see many fat long distance runners...

One last, but probably the most important, thing. Make sure you understand clearly what you motivation for doing this is, and make sure it is compelling enough for you. I don't think anyone gives a fig what their weight is. Health, yes. Appearance, yes. It is important to be aware of the real reason behind doing something, so that we can be sure it is what we want.

Thanks. I will check out "Born to Run" at Borders tomorrow; the book looks fascinating.

Since you asked, my motivation is primarily health reasons; at my last visit to the doctor, my blood pressure was 160/90. I had a free personal training session on my Bally Total Fitness account, and the personal trainer tested my body fat percentage. It was over 25 percent. :( Another reason is that I don't like the fat on my belly.

My best friend swears by running, and he wears those leather sandals depicted in the video interview.

My best friend swears by running, and he wears those leather sandals depicted in the video interview.

Yes looks interesting, he was putting on some 5 fingers at the end too.

You won't lose weight by exercising. Cut down on meat, fats, and sugars (including fruit). More veges and brown rice.

Thanks. I will check out "Born to Run" at Borders tomorrow; the book looks fascinating.

Since you asked, my motivation is primarily health reasons; at my last visit to the doctor, my blood pressure was 160/90. I had a free personal training session on my Bally Total Fitness account, and the personal trainer tested my body fat percentage. It was over 25 percent. :( Another reason is that I don't like the fat on my belly.

You are welcome. A friend of mine in Australia met a guy, around 80 years old, out running on the beach. This guy was the picture of good health and vitality. His secret? Get out, exercise and keep moving for at least 90 minutes non-stop each day.

Diet IS the key I think though, for health and weight loss. I don't believe exercise alone will get the weight shifted. Finding the right way of eating that works for you will.

Personally, I am overweight. My qigong buys me time and distance, allowing me to eat and drink what I want. However, I'm under no illusion that is it just buying time. The late, great, Wang Shujin died of bone cancer and was diabetic when he died. According to Marnix Wells, Wang was partial to the Tiawanese equivalent of '7 Up'. Bad diet will get you in the end, no matter what.

N.B. Qigong can and often does round the midsection. This is NOT the same as being fat. My own teacher doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, but he does have a rounded midsection. I've seen the same in other Chinese martial artists. Muscle and fat are clearly two different things. Qi, and qigong does not make a person fat. What they eat and drink does.

As usual there's no secret. If you look you'll find tomes upon tomes of ultimate diets and plans, but I advocate a simple one. I'll just tell you what I normally eat.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, milk, fruit (usually around 1 C, 2 C and 1 banana or apple).

Lunch: brown rice, veggies, something protein-y (any amount of veggies, 1/2 C (before cooking) and 30-50 g protein)

Dinner: also brown rice, veggies, and something protein-y

tea throughout the day as I want it.

This might sound too boring for some people but it keeps me happy. Plus, social engagements usually end up disrupting the schedule enough to add some variety.

I heard somebody say exercise doesn't help you lose weight. Well, that is obviously false. I guess if you build enough muscle you might actually gain or remain static with respect to weight, but that is not something you really need to worry about. Health is always the goal, remember, not any number.

The key to exercising successfully is not to jump in too fast-- even walking everyday will help. This is a more complicated area that you will need to think about yourself though.

A further note I hope will save you some trouble: as with all things, maintain balance! When it comes to losing weight calories are calories. It doesn't matter whether they come from carbs, fats, or whatever. Just keep them reasonable and balanced. There's a reason your body wants foods: it needs them. You'll only do yourself harm cutting away too much energy, or jumping into a strange non balanced diet. Just eat reasonable amounts of non-processed food and call it good. I'm even going to say it again since popular opinion can be very strong: Balance, there is no outwitting your body in the end.

Edited by Iyoiyo

Hey folks -

look up Dr Phil Maffetone:

http://philmaffetone.com/fr_index.cfm

He's the real deal on fitness and diet.

btw, Yessssssss running is the best! And Born To Run is a tremendous book! Super-highly-recommended from a runner who is thankful that finally someone had the nerve to break through all the corporate dogma and tell it like it is.

I'd suggest looking into paleo/low carb style nutrition if you feel that that kind of diet would suit to you. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the best way to lose fat is to eat fat. Insulin spikes that follow carbohydrate consumption are the main factor in weight gain. With a high fat diet (what is proper fat? check http://www.westonaprice.org/Know-Your-Fats/ ) your body stays in the fat burning mode most of the time. Hi fat meaning up to 15-20% calories from carbohydrates and the rest from fat and protein (max around 30%)

When you look at it from an evolutionary perspective it makes quite a bit sense. Major carbohydrate sources were available only during a time of 1-2 months and rest of the time the main energy source was animal products. During these 1-2 summer months the body went in to energy storing (ie. fattening) mode from the sugar from all the fruit for the winter when the food was scarcer.

Another very effective weight losing method from the paleo community is Intermittent Fasting (IF). It means that you try to narrow the time of the day when you eat to only 4-6 hours (ideally) so you are in fasting mode all the time. With carb-based diet this is much more harder to accomplish as your blood sugar levels fluctuate, but with paleo style diet (at least after your body has adapted to a different kind of eating) the state of fasting is no biggie.

The benefits from a paleo style diet are many. It's a very easy and natural way of losing weigh. Inflammation in the mostly caused by non-paleo foods (wheat (grains), sugar and industrial vegetable oils) so cutting them away is really good for the body in general. Oh, and coronary disease? Unknown to at least those paleolithic civilizations (inuits and masai) who ate a very high % of animal products and saturated fat in their diet. And they got old too. Also, blood sugar control improves dramatically, you don't have to eat every 3-4 hours if you don't want to. More energy and better health in general is at least what I've experienced eating paleo style..

some resources if you're interested

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://paynowlivelater.blogspot.com/

http://www.paleonu.com/

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/

I'd suggest looking into paleo/low carb style nutrition if you feel that that kind of diet would suit to you. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the best way to lose fat is to eat fat. Insulin spikes that follow carbohydrate consumption are the main factor in weight gain.

+1 big time. And like I said, look into Phil Maffetone ;)

It's really a simple process - our storage space for sugar-based energy is narrowly limited and every milligram that can't be either stored or used by the muscles immediately gets transported to the ever-expandable fat cells. Done.

Cut the carbs way down, and view (healthy) fats as your top source for fuel. Run away from anything that says "Diet", "Low Fat" or "Light" on the package. It's poison.

Btw, FRUIT is carb/sugar rich as a rule. Concentrate on a wide variety of vegetables as your main food group, and enhance it with a little protein, fat and healthy carbohydrate (zero carb is dangerous in the long term, don't do it, no matter what some fanatics might recommend).

A big, mixed, colorful salad with some hard-boiled egg, sunflower seeds and a generous dollop of olive oil - that's what's for breakfast, Mom. Ask any successful ultramarathoner ;)

For anyone who wants to get into running, do yourself a big favor and go S-L-O-W, and alternate walking and running for quite a few months before starting longer runs. Keep the pulse waaaaaay low. Stu Mittelmann's "Slow Burn" has some excellent guidelines on how to get into running safely and easily, for the long term. His book also kind of wanders around and gets a little too poetic and repetetive, but essentially, it's the one to get. He also has some top nutrition advice. A perfect companion to Maffetone ;)

What? You never heard of Stu Mittelmann?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stu_Mittleman

If you want to loose weight:

- don't mix cooked starches (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) and cooked proteins in one meal.

- use as much raw veggies as you can as a part of your diet.

- exercise 3 times a week, preferably running or weight training.

If you do all that you will certainly loose weight.

eat foods that are high in fiber.....

eat a lite dinner.....

a small bowl of ceral and that`s it....

Sign in to follow this