enouch

ZHAN ZHUANG and SECRETS

This is a question put forth to the bum community: Do you think standing is the true jewel of the martial arts for qi[in martial arts,not medical qi-gung] develpment? Franztis reports Kenichi Sawchi was fanatical about developing chi through standing practices.Yet Paul Dong[author of Empty Force] wrote a quote from Kenichi's grandmaster to his immediate teacher ''Not to impart higher teachings'' especially considering the spat between the japanese and chinese.

Edited by enouch

Greetings..

Awareness and Clarity are the "true" jewels.. one can stand for hours every day and gain nothing without Awareness and Clarity.. That being said, appropriate attention and diligent practice has the potential to reveal great depth in one's cultivation.. i begin each class with 5 minutes of "Zhan Zhaung", and the admonishment to practice this daily for at least 20 minutes.. then, "Swinging Bear", side to side and back & forth.. these are basics of my practice.. Taiji-walking (barefoot) on gravel is also a very beneficial practice..

Be well..

Kenichi Sawchi was fanatical about developing chi through standing practices.Yet Paul Dong[author of Empty Force] wrote a quote from Kenichi's grandmaster to his immediate teacher ''Not to impart higher teachings'' especially considering the spat between the japanese and chinese.

Kenichi's grandmaster?

After Kenichi Sawai touched hands w/ master Wang he had a profound change; the birth of Japanese Yi Quan

Spectrum: I read some of your discussions about ZZ. I would like to ask about the degree of knee bend. Do you think deeper knee bend is better for Qi development (assuming the same mind focus)?

Kenichi's grandmaster?

After Kenichi Sawai touched hands w/ master Wang he had a profound change; the birth of Japanese Yi Quan

Exactly. According to Dong when Kenichi returned to Japan he took one of master Wang's students with him. Wang, reportedly told him not to give the higher level teachings.Keep in mind Paul Dong teaches empty force.

Spectrum: I read some of your discussions about ZZ. I would like to ask about the degree of knee bend. Do you think deeper knee bend is better for Qi development (assuming the same mind focus)?

This ^^^

Anyone? - I have always wondered the same question. Don't the knees only contribute to vibration = heat build up or is there more?

This is a question put forth to the bum community: Do you think standing is the true jewel of the martial arts for qi[in martial arts,not medical qi-gung] develpment?

I think that the simple practice of just standing relaxed is good. It teaches you the relationship of you, your body, and gravity. It can show you your tense and weak spots. But after this point, advancing your standing training is important. After you learn to relax you should start learning to exercise your tendons in the 6 directions, your intention, and your sound. Then you learn to continue that into moving, and then into attacking... then standing is a true jewel IMO. It requires a good teacher to learn tendon changing in zhan zhuang, and I don't know if it is taught in other styles besides I-Chuan.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

I think that the simple practice of just standing relaxed is good. It teaches you the relationship of you, your body, and gravity. It can show you your tense and weak spots. But after this point, advancing your standing training is important. After you learn to relax you should start learning to exercise your tendons in the 6 directions, your intention, and your sound. Then you learn to continue that into moving, and then into attacking... then standing is a true jewel IMO. It requires a good teacher to learn tendon changing in zhan zhuang, and I don't know if it is taught in other styles besides I-Chuan.

Tendon changing? Is that similar to Damao's muscle tendon changing classic? Which I practice from time to time.

Tendon changing? Is that similar to Damao's muscle tendon changing classic? Which I practice from time to time.

I am unaware of Damao's tendon changing classic.

"Tendon changing" is a term I've heard used to describe the practice of exercising the tendons with the 6 directions in I-Chuan. This is done standing, walking, health dance, and in application. My interpretation of my experience so far is that we are strengthening the tendons that connect up the entire body. Strong healthy tendons enables true whole body force and explosive power. This also means a healthy mobile body into old age.

PS. This is different than using the whole body to create force. Using "the whole body" is more a matter of the muscle in the four limbs, torso/core, and coordination. All of which are very important too.