Sign in to follow this  
thaddeus

Cool Book

The table of contents looks promising. imo, he's talking about many of the right topics.

Found it in NYC's chinatown, still reading:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091495571...=books&v=glance

I ordered this from Amazon, and read ~100 pages of it. Its awful. Waste of time. At first I saw that the writing was really poor, but thought, "oh, well, there might be some gems, still, in here" and plugged along. It just kept getting worse. Threw it in the trash last night.

I ordered this from Amazon, and read ~100 pages of it. Its awful. Waste of time. At first I saw that the writing was really poor, but thought, "oh, well, there might be some gems, still, in here" and plugged along. It just kept getting worse. Threw it in the trash last night.

What did you find awful about it? Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

T

Well I'm stumped! I saw your post and ordered the book right away. The author has trained with Stephen Chang, and it seemed to elaborate on a lot of his teachings. It is very much based on the Deer Excercise which works a heck of a lot better for me than Mantak Chia's stuff ever did . He takes a lot of the excercises that Chang provides, and adds suggestions for things like specific numbers of reps, and generally organizes them a little better (that's not to say that Chang's book isn't still worth getting). I was also pleasantly suprised by all of the diagrams, and other info I didn't know I was getting.

The writing style is a little dry, but it is also a translation from the German, so that may contribute. It certainly may seem a little different for someone used to Mantak Chia, and other writers that sort of follow that same type of "line", if you will. But there is definately a lineage and a background there. Anyway, if you look at the list of the guy's credentials and teachers in the back, it seems evident that he knows SOMETHING...it may not be the most popular or mainstream chi kung book...but garbage worthy????

This discussion has prompted me to fish it out of the garbage can in my bedroom intact and (except for a little dignity) unscathed. Maybe we can hash it out a bit and still find something useful in there. When I have a moment, I'll type thoughts about it in more detail and post.

It is very much based on the Deer Excercise which works a heck of a lot better for me than Mantak Chia's stuff ever did
Curious to hear your experience/take/thoughts on the Deer Exercise.

This discussion has prompted me to fish it out of the garbage can in my bedroom intact and (except for a little dignity) unscathed. Maybe we can hash it out a bit and still find something useful in there. When I have a moment, I'll type thoughts about it in more detail and post.

Curious to hear your experience/take/thoughts on the Deer Exercise.

I can't say I'm rallying for people to buy this book. At the same time, I wouldn't go out and recommend chia's books either without tons of caveats. But it does have alot of discussion of the deer exercise and he seems to really stress pulling up the pelvic floor on all the chigongs. I have not seen a more than cursory discussion of the pelvic floor anywere except for Eric Franklin's excellent gem, Pelvic Power. (please recommend some if you heard of any). So it was good to see this being covered somewhere.

Would love to discuss this book with knowledgeable people as yourself.

T.

Sign in to follow this