voidisyinyang

HeartMath -- Center of the Universe?

Actually, if you read the website, they give you the basic technique, which is just focusing attention on the heart, using imagination to viz breathing out of the heart region - the book gives variations on this tech, but I must say, this group has some interesting research, more than most groups in the West (with the possible exception of Tiller's group) - Heartmath has published articles in Circulation, which is a well-regarded journal in physiology research circles.

The other thing that impresses me about their research is that they can register stress level reductions (as measured by heart rate variability) with seconds of using their viz protocols.

If nothing else, if you gain better opening of energy circulation in the heart area, you will help prevent a lot of energy blockages along the way, IMHO.

R

Here's my new blog post -- just a review of HeartMath:

http://naturalresonancerevolution.blogspot...f-universe.html

There's some interesting research on this stuff -- basically it's a biofeedback program for the heart rhythm variability.

Edited by rsalazar

Thanks -- your response was more clear than my perusing an hours worth of HeartMath propaganda. haha. I even listened to his radio interview.

Actually, if you read the website, they give you the basic technique, which is just focusing attention on the heart, using imagination to viz breathing out of the heart region - the book gives variations on this tech, but I must say, this group has some interesting research, more than most groups in the West (with the possible exception of Tiller's group) - Heartmath has published articles in Circulation, which is a well-regarded journal in physiology research circles.

The other thing that impresses me about their research is that they can register stress level reductions (as measured by heart rate variability) with seconds of using their viz protocols.

If nothing else, if you gain better opening of energy circulation in the heart area, you will help prevent a lot of energy blockages along the way, IMHO.

R

Hi Drew,

Yeah, the base technique is really one of the simplest things I've seen - I think the recent upsurge in marketing their stress monitor has obscured the fact that the tech itself is very simple - they do have some other interesting applications, such as their designer music,which augments the effects from the meditation, although I must confess I don't really enjoy it - also interesting that BT designs his music to elicit physiological brain changes (or at least he tries, check out his "This Binary Universe" for some very relaxing stuff) - going back to the Heartmath technique, to register changes within such a short period of time (as opposed of hours ) is still hard for me to accept, but they have the data (EEG, heart rate variability, DHEA levels), I can pass on some collected papers to anyone interested - The tech is very similar to Buddhist contemplation of compassion, here is their stripped down version:

1. Focus attention on the heart area

2. Pretend or viz breathing energy in and out of this area

3. As you continue to breath, become aware of anything that elicits feelings of gratitude

At this point, you can continue like this or you can try and access any intuitive feelings by asking your heart if it has anything it wants to say.

This basic tech can be done at any time throughout the day, especially as a pause when experiencing stressful situations - data indicates that just shift of focus to the heart area has almost immediate effects on physiology - although one may not reach more sublime heights of samadhi from this tech, it certainly is not a bad tech to use as training wheels to gain greater control of the physical body - I believe that this is probably one of the best techs for those of us that don't time to do extensive sitting, multiple short sessions of practice throughout the day may add up to something that still has benefits - this also repeatedly engages your own self-awareness, forcing you to observe yourself constantly, which is also a form of cultivation.

I'd be very interested in hearing for anyone that has practiced any of the Heartmath techs.

All the best for the New Year and cheers,

Rene'

Thanks -- your response was more clear than my perusing an hours worth of HeartMath propaganda. haha. I even listened to his radio interview.

Right on Rene -- actually I had a strange coincidence related to this HeartMath model. Yesterday I was in full-lotus at the computer and I then showed my vagus nerve pulsation to my brother-in-law who is in engineer. He's been at my house for about a week straight and slowly I've been explaining the Taoist qigong alchemy resonance, etc.

So his reaction was very great. "Is that your pulse?" He asked. I said: "No it's my carotid artery along with my vagus nerve."

So then I wondered -- maybe he's right -- it is my pulse. But this vagus nerve pulsation with the carotid artery is very fast -- in fact it speeds up and then creates the internal climax and then starts over again at a slow speed and then speeds up and climaxes at deeper intensity of energy.

Anyway so I put my finger on my wrist and sure enough my pulse was about HALF the speed of the pulsation visible on the right side of my neck.

Pretty amazing. And considering this HeartMath technology -- I think it's great to slow down the heart rate but it's a very basic level of energy work. I mean it's crucial and excellent for people to do this -- but leaves out the lower body sublimation aspect which is were the real will power comes from. So when they use the "pulse" as the measurement it's not actually measuring the transmission of chi energy which is different than the pulse.

Actually the latest math on the heart is based on using the CHAOS model -- Steve Strogatz, a math professor, did this research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_strogatz_on_sync.html

Anticontrol may also be applied to the heart, where researchers speculate that some irregularity between beats is necessary to maintain healthy rhythms.

http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/reshor/rh-spr95/chaos.htm

Hi Drew,

Yeah, the base technique is really one of the simplest things I've seen - I think the recent upsurge in marketing their stress monitor has obscured the fact that the tech itself is very simple - they do have some other interesting applications, such as their designer music,which augments the effects from the meditation, although I must confess I don't really enjoy it - also interesting that BT designs his music to elicit physiological brain changes (or at least he tries, check out his "This Binary Universe" for some very relaxing stuff) - going back to the Heartmath technique, to register changes within such a short period of time (as opposed of hours ) is still hard for me to accept, but they have the data (EEG, heart rate variability, DHEA levels), I can pass on some collected papers to anyone interested - The tech is very similar to Buddhist contemplation of compassion, here is their stripped down version:

1. Focus attention on the heart area

2. Pretend or viz breathing energy in and out of this area

3. As you continue to breath, become aware of anything that elicits feelings of gratitude

At this point, you can continue like this or you can try and access any intuitive feelings by asking your heart if it has anything it wants to say.

This basic tech can be done at any time throughout the day, especially as a pause when experiencing stressful situations - data indicates that just shift of focus to the heart area has almost immediate effects on physiology - although one may not reach more sublime heights of samadhi from this tech, it certainly is not a bad tech to use as training wheels to gain greater control of the physical body - I believe that this is probably one of the best techs for those of us that don't time to do extensive sitting, multiple short sessions of practice throughout the day may add up to something that still has benefits - this also repeatedly engages your own self-awareness, forcing you to observe yourself constantly, which is also a form of cultivation.

I'd be very interested in hearing for anyone that has practiced any of the Heartmath techs.

All the best for the New Year and cheers,

Rene'

Edited by drewhempel

Yeah Dan Winter -- the "golden mean" dude -- got into a lawsuit situation with the HeartMath people about how to interpret "coherence" of the heart -- so if you understand the actual CHAOS coherence then this debate is pretty fascinating:

http://www.danwinter.com/HeartTunerStatements.html

Right on Rene -- actually I had a strange coincidence related to this HeartMath model. Yesterday I was in full-lotus at the computer and I then showed my vagus nerve pulsation to my brother-in-law who is in engineer. He's been at my house for about a week straight and slowly I've been explaining the Taoist qigong alchemy resonance, etc.

So his reaction was very great. "Is that your pulse?" He asked. I said: "No it's my carotid artery along with my vagus nerve."

So then I wondered -- maybe he's right -- it is my pulse. But this vagus nerve pulsation with the carotid artery is very fast -- in fact it speeds up and then creates the internal climax and then starts over again at a slow speed and then speeds up and climaxes at deeper intensity of energy.

Anyway so I put my finger on my wrist and sure enough my pulse was about HALF the speed of the pulsation visible on the right side of my neck.

Pretty amazing. And considering this HeartMath technology -- I think it's great to slow down the heart rate but it's a very basic level of energy work. I mean it's crucial and excellent for people to do this -- but leaves out the lower body sublimation aspect which is were the real will power comes from. So when they use the "pulse" as the measurement it's not actually measuring the transmission of chi energy which is different than the pulse.

Actually the latest math on the heart is based on using the CHAOS model -- Steve Strogatz, a math professor, did this research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_strogatz_on_sync.html

Anticontrol may also be applied to the heart, where researchers speculate that some irregularity between beats is necessary to maintain healthy rhythms.

http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/reshor/rh-spr95/chaos.htm