yangluchan

Learning Xingyiqyan Five Elements

I feel like I want to learn the Xingyiquan's Five Elements, as I think they will work nicely for me.

I've been doing Taijiquan for quite some time, but I think the Five Elements will give me a more "hard" and grounded power generation and also help me balance out my sometimes very timid nature. Case in point, when I'm practicing with my training partner doing Taijiquan power drills (like small san-sau), I will subconsciously pull punches and avoid hitting his centre etc because it seems very engrained in me not to hurt someone... Only if he hits me and makes me aware of this too many times will I get angry and hit for real, but of course in doing so I'll lose that finesse and control, ending up losing the "match"... ;-)

Sorry the digression, back to the question:

Where could I learn the Five Elements? I'm thinking DVD or a video clip or something mainly. Something that explains them in some detail, with body mechanics etc. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

I'm thinking DVD or a video clip or ...

I'm sorry to say this, and I'm the first guy to want all the good stuff out in text and vid,

I would be very surprised if...

I don't think it ..

XingYiQuan can't be taught but by in-person, regularly, over a long period of time - by a teacher who is good at proposing the right corrections for a student based on the idiosynchratic difficulties in their own shape and how it is relating to their current stage of learning an exercise. XingYi is not obvious to the beginner's body.

Anyway, that's one point of view.

:)

I feel like I want to learn the Xingyiquan's Five Elements, as I think they will work nicely for me.

I've been doing Taijiquan for quite some time, but I think the Five Elements will give me a more "hard" and grounded power generation and also help me balance out my sometimes very timid nature. Case in point, when I'm practicing with my training partner doing Taijiquan power drills (like small san-sau), I will subconsciously pull punches and avoid hitting his centre etc because it seems very engrained in me not to hurt someone... Only if he hits me and makes me aware of this too many times will I get angry and hit for real, but of course in doing so I'll lose that finesse and control, ending up losing the "match"... ;-)

Sorry the digression, back to the question:

Where could I learn the Five Elements? I'm thinking DVD or a video clip or something mainly. Something that explains them in some detail, with body mechanics etc. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!

Not a chance to learn these correctly from a book or DVD. I spent 3 years just learning these 5 elements from Master Chang (Chen Pan Ling's senior student). Most who actually know these forms will not let you progress to the next one until you get the first one exactly right.

Where are you located? There are several MA teachers on this forum.

I have to agree that in order to learn xingyiquan you need to find a good teacher who will teach you in person. This is unfortunate but at least it will prevent you from commiting yourself to incorrect practice, which can be harmful, let alone ineffective.

In terms of your current situation I can propose a temporary solution: get Sun Lutang's book on the subject and look at only the first section about how to stand in San Ti Stance. Don't worry about the rest for now. Follow those detailed instructions and make it a regular practice, building up to longer periods over time while continuing to train in your taijiquan. Pay attention to some of the postural alignments you are taught in taijiquan while doing this (Sun Lutang's xingyi is a Hebei style which shares many basic requirements with taijiquan).

The San Ti stance is martial by nature and is a true treasure of this style; aside from developing root and internal strength it is designed to train the intent (Yi). This will help you gradually shift from your current mindset and predispositions to one where you are not hesitant to strike when the situation is appropriate.

Give it a go for a few months and you will definitely feel a difference!

1. Get this book : Xing Yi Nei Gong. Practice every day the exercises contained within. I think it can be found from other book websites other than Amazon.

2. If you can't find a teacher just yet, learn to stand in San Ti Shi. There are plenty of resources online, as well as in the above book. A teacher will correct your posture when you eventually find one.

3. Don't try to learn the five fists without a teacher. A good teacher will teach you the old way. Learning to stand in San Ti Shi for at least a year before any forms are taught. This is how I was taught.

4. Learn other zhan zhuang postures also, especially embracing the tree. These are taught in xingyi also.

5. Take it slowly. Don't try and stand for long periods at first. It will only put you off.

Foundation is of great importance. The above steps will give you a firm foundation in the art and give you a strong fit healthy body suited to the practice of form/mind boxing.

Good luck.

I live in Norway, and as far as I know there are no teachers of Xingyiquan in Norway? If there are, they are "underground" in that case... Anyone know of any?

I also don't really care to travel too far to learn Xingyi as I wanted this to just be a compliment to my Taijiquan, and not my main endeavour.

Thanks for all the great tips guys, I have done some Wuji standing and some basic Zhang Zhuang before (actually even tried some Santi Shi once), so I think I will incorporate some Santi into my training. Sounds good that it's more "martially" geared, exactly what I need, really great tips! :-)

Cheers everybody!

This DVD on the five elements received some good reviews on Amazon.com:

Xingyi Quan 5 Element Fists Xing Yi Hsing-i

I second lifeforce's recommendation of the Xing Yi Nei Gong book. There is also a video that demonstrates the nei gong form from the book. It is a nice set of exercises. The video does not give instruction, so you need the book too.

Another DVD that covers the xingyi five element energies in a qigong rather than martial manner is:

Shing Yi Chuan Five Elements energy Patterns for Body mind and Spirit

The guy who did this one was student of the late Kenny Gong.

I am going to go against the crowd and say that you can learn from a book/dvd and be successful.... but it depends, on a lot of things.

1) Your own martial arts background and experience. How long have you been doing it? How well do you understand not only the principles of your art, but the principles of the human body that your art, and every other art, draws on?

2) Your level of insight. How well can you analyze and understand a technique and principle? This comes from natural talent, a genuine interest and love of the art, as well as past experience.

3) How your practice, and how often. How much solo practice do you do, what types of exercises, drills, workouts. Do you work with others and do you spar with them? In the OP you mentioned fighting with someone else, how do you fight? I suggest at least once or twice a week you fight with as little rules as possible against as many different types of fighters as you can.

4) How much you work. How much time are you willing to spend reading/watching a concept or technique, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked, going back, rereading and rewatching the technique, realizing what you did wrong, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked, going back, rereading and rewatching the technique, realizing what you did wrong, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked........ until you finally use it with success? Then going on and doing that with the next technique.

5) How much you work. How much time are you willing to spend reading/watching a concept or technique, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked, going back, rereading and rewatching the technique, realizing what you did wrong, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked, going back, rereading and rewatching the technique, realizing what you did wrong, practicing it on your own, using it in practice, getting your ass kicked........ until you finally use it with success? Then going on and doing that with the next technique.

(no number 5 was not a typo)

All of that said, I suggest this book: http://www.amazon.com/Hsing-I-Chinese-Inte...7646&sr=8-1

Simple, good, and inexpensive.