Sign in to follow this  
guy johnson

Detachment

Hi Bums,

My wife has been very ill with heart problems and the care of our farm has fallen on my shoulders. Sorry I have not written to you all for a while. I just wrote this and am interested in your responses.

Words create different ways to define and I wish to offer you another way to look at detachment. When we live in our intellect we are not detached because the process of intellect is essentialy binary in the same way a computer is. Everthing is judged and catorgarized through an infinate series of yes and no answers. When we silence the mind we end this process during the silence and without the intellect being involved in other then silent observation we are detaced by default as ther is procees to create attachment in a silent mind. Whenever we loose our silence we are instantly brought back into our programed patterns of attachment. Our language and our mathamatics are all based on attachments to catagorizing. Our emotional patterns are predetermined by our genetic inherited emotional memory as well as emotional memeories in the present life.

Creating a silence of the emotional being requires observing and learning to know self. when we have identified a pattern the stored emotion behind the pattern is allowed to surface and released just as a computer can have it's memeory errased. Emotions that are released free the individual to feel in the present without the experinces of the past recreating the same mistakes in the present.

I have discribed to essentialy different processes here because the life force is comunicated to all life through feelings wich trigger hormones throughtout the body so that every cell is on the same page. Emotions are just feelings frozen in the past wich prevent us from living in the moment. Mental Silence frees us from mental patterns in the same way allowing us to experince the ecstacy. The mental process of healing is self observation in the same way emotions are. Through this self examination we observe our patterns of thought and modify them to reflect the KNOWING we experience with the silent mind. Ecstacy is the experince of the infinate force that we feel through our life force. We can experince enlightenment or ecstacy without having healed emotions and intellect, but our ability to live in this state is dependent on our healing wich becomes self evident in the form of knowing or truth that we feel so deeply it transends our emotions and intellectual beliefs. Enlightenment is a process though at any given moment in that process we are enlightened if compared to one who is refusing see. Fear of loosing our individuality and that essense we call our personality is the motivation of those who tenatiously cling to their patterns of disfunction.

In many cultures the emotional healing is dicribed as feminine and the intellectual healing as the male process. Becoming whole and healing both the feminine and masculine is a very powerful state and anyone on this path of being both their feminine and masculine selves is in a position to create a union of souls instead of an intersection where the couple is interdependant for survival. The goal of tantric is this union of two completed souls.

Detachment is not a goal but rater a lack of the emotional and intellectual factors wich create attachment.

Peace,

Guy

Hi Freeform,

Interesting take on emotions. I gather that for you Good emotions are emotions that appear to serve you and bad emotions are those that have negative consequences. My response is judging is an act of ego. Emotions that create patterns you are uncomfortable with are very important as these patterns expose patterns you need to look at and release. You are right that we should not be suppressing them but instead taking advantage of them as offering us an opportunity to heal.

PEACE Guy

Great post, really got me thinking (yes, yes - I know; thinking can be counterproductive :lol: )

I agree with most of what you're saying, and just wanted to add some stuff from my own experience.

Once you stop running patterns uncociously (i.e. you will choose what pattern to run and when to run it, and if you dont want to you wont run any patterns at all), you will have achieved the no-ego state in day-to-day life, this is what I feel is missing in a lot of ascention practices.

Concerning emotions, what I believe the problem is, is that we try to supress bad emotions and keep getting good emotions - this gets us stuck and completely limits our emotional bandwidth... once you stop holding onto good feelings and running from bad feelings a transformation happens... every feeling whether thought of as 'good' or 'bad' will feel magical and teach you something important each time.

Hi Guy,

When we are faced with the difficulty of suffering in an right in your face kind of way, ie; your wife's illness and the burden of trying to run the farm, we often look for ways to understand and deal with our feelings. Time and again, detachment comes into mind and begin to examine what it all means. We imagine the sage, master or guru who appears able to withstand the suffering of life. We want to be able to be steadfast and even tempered.

My favorite quote is from Rumi.

.This being human is a guesthouse. Every morning a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meaness. Some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome and entertain them all! Even if they're a crowd of sorrows who violently sweep your house empty of its furnitiure. Still, treat each guset honorably, he may be clearing you out for some new delight...

Detachment is not, "not feeling" but feeling without hanging on to it. It resembles the clouds that write themselves upon the sky. They float into view but pass on, allowing the procession of new clouds to enter the sky. Passing through.

Zen calls it mindfulness. Tao, wu chi..the uncarved block. I often think of it in Tai Chi terms where one can push forward, pull back or stand still, the flow as water. Not reaction, but flow.

When we try to learn, analyze, make a quote, a scripture, a doctrine to memorize and holf forth as something to follow, we miss the mark.

I would suggest a period of daily meditation. Something simple. I would gladly send you a book called, "full catastrophe living" as a primer. It may help.

Tao1776

Thank you for your kindness,

I did not discribe my own state of mind but wish to share with you now. I live in bliss at this time in my life and the series of events that are taking place leave me not in dispair but with an open heart radiating love. I feel for both my son who suffers from a rare lymph disorder. I have complete faith as to how all our lives unfold and daily events do not trouble me. I understand fully the energy that creates my wifes pain and her inability to let go deep patterns that culminate in a death wish of sorts although she also has a powerful desire to live. I do not judge her process nor do I attempt to heal her for the interference of anothers lessons would presume that I know what is good for her and indicate a lack of trust in the flow of life and the complete wisdom of the life force.

Here are a series of answers to some very astute questions by a very learned man on one of my groups that might give you insight into where I am coming from. Guy

The language being used expresses kundalini as an experince of witnessing God but that is not quite right. The experince is the total surrender of self and intellect as witness brings back the story of the experience. We all are endowed with the essense of the life force and during Kundalini we are God/Goddess. The difficulty is that intellect even as observer of being God/Goddess cannot explain this with words wich in any attempt to define being God/Goddess actualy define what God/Goddess is not and ther lies the problem in that God/Goddess cannot be confined to definition. Every religion and every belief can only define a small piece of the reality Of Being God/Goddess and therefore any belief actualy creats a prison for the mind and forevery limit that being who believes to the limited conception of their personal structure. It is not that any belief is wrong just that every belief confines perception to what we believe.

Kundalini is the experince of being one but the writings and resulting religions are interpetations and subject to prior beliefs and personal emotional problems.. This is why I have so strongly advocated healing both emotional self and the release of confining beliefs which are all insuficiant to explain the experince of oneness which simply does not exclude anything. I have had a pwerful awakening and after much time and healing I live in constant energy of the oneness and have learned to integrate this into daily life and work. I maintain a silence in my mind and can think and create without the hinderence of the limitations of thinking in language.

yes I agree that what I am discribing is the same thing in that they and I have the same essential experince. The point I am making is the intellect experinces the self as seeing God but in fact the intellect is witnessing the self as God and this is an important difference in understanding. We each are God/Goddess and if there ever was a cospiricy. this is it. We are already God/Goddess and we do need need any church or beliefs structure to experince being God/Goddess who in fact every living thing experinces within the confines of instintual behavior. Intellectual capacity to observe self being God and attempt to explain this to others is both humankinds gift and curse. Honerable in our attempt to explain being God/Goddess we are doomed to failure in the same way as an artist cannot create in art the living being he/she is drawing.

The other point I wish to make is that after healing our emotional selves and recreating our intellect to be aliegned with the Knowing we have through our time in being God/Goddess The experince of that state of Being is no longer a flash but an ongoing existence of living as God/Goddess and the physical reality in daily life.

I spend my nights in complete bliss but the moment I have a thought or think even in a wordless state I am acting in ego. There is nothing I do or say which is not ego. The best I can do is remain in as much bliss as I can while trying to function on the physical level. This dual existence gives me insight into life and existence translated into Knowing. Anything I do from ego is my personal responsability so essentialy any conscious action performed is not the work of God/Goddess.

The kundalini built up for the better part of a year of very specific

concentration. I would get very close to something very big and then in Nov

of 1972 the energy seemed to break througha barrior and poured into my mind

expanding my third eye untill I became the energy This was so powerful as

never to be foregotten. With the perspective 0f 34 years of living with

Kundalini I felt left by it after the initial opening and my world turned up

side down. The real point is that over the years kundalini is no longer a

flash in the pan but a powerful force open to my direction or manipulation.

Difficulty is that as Kundalini increases in ones life any emotinal or

mental issues become magnified with power and every use has a backlash of

lessons. Here is where I realized that intellect does not have the depth of

knowledge to understand the full ramifications of applied power. As one

becomes all powerful kundalini energy cannot be used for personal gains as

any use for that purpose bares severe consequences for the user as use is

ego oriented. I have learned to just be in that state of ongoing nervana

without direting it in any way..People around me can use it for their own

healing but there is no presumption of knowing what is good for

them..Healing may well require one to undergo emotionaly painfull memories

and compassion dictates that their experince is for their own good and

should not be interfeared with. Kundalini is not ultimatly a flash in the

pan but rather a way of being. Fantastic power and the wisdom not to use

it.

Blessings on us poor fools. Perhaps the evolution of human kind is to perfect our genes to allow us to exist in profound states of being for life.

Hi Guy,

When we are faced with the difficulty of suffering in an right in your face kind of way, ie; your wife's illness and the burden of trying to run the farm, we often look for ways to understand and deal with our feelings. Time and again, detachment comes into mind and begin to examine what it all means.

Here are some more short writings,

You will find that I do not use traditional explanations and the reason is that my knowing is entirely from my own explorations and not from any tradition. I have not read any of the Sacred books nor have I studied Zen or Yoga. The simillarities are simply because I study intellectualy my own experince of being God/Goddess and I have to the best of my ability lat go any beliefs that might hinder or distort the knowing. I understand and experince being perfect within my continious practise as I meditate in varying degrees 24 hours a day I do not sleep but use this time as uninterupted Bliss where daily events in life require a compromise from a perfect State of being. I do however live in a continious state of silence except when required to comunicate with others. When One is open my presense is a constant Shaktipat.

P.S. My wife and I are looking for one or two persons who would enjoy the constant company of being with an enlightened being while learning horse training or boat building. Interested persons can contact me at 207-975-4418 or write to me at [email protected] This is a live in situation.

Peace Guy

Control is an intellectual endeavor and leads one away from the healing of release. I am going to give myself as an example here. My wife has been dealing with a spiraling loss of health due to her vascular system being unable to return her blood to her heart steming from chemo therapy for cancer 22 years ago. After fighting her way through the resistence of the Doctors who not being able to find the problem religated my wife to the world of hypocondrea she went to Boston and the surgeon there found that her superior cava which is a main vein returning blood to the heart was 95% blocked. A simple procedure with a balloon expanding the vein return her instantly to former health.

As one can imagine 6 months of watching your mate die is an excellent way to find out if you hold beliefs of being detached or in fact are detached. The word detached is for me not clear in it's meaning because the interpetation is that the detached person does not care any more and that would be seen as unloving. In truth this is a very loving state as ones own emotions have been identified felt and released they no longer provide a distorted interpetation of events where emotions project the internalized reaction to events from their own damaged emotional prospective.

A healed detached individual is able to love their mate with complete compassion unaffected by the anger of dying and dispair of the ill mate. This is a state of being where there exists total knowing that the mates experince is in fact part of their healing and even if they die everything is exactly as intended by the intelligent energy of which we all are.

I strongly recommend surrender and consequences be dammned. This is the direct road to an enlightened stat.e and anything less is the intellect playing games and pulling one astray. Intellect interjects its beliefs of what must be done and all the practical lifes skills that must be adheared to. Intellect is woefully inadiquate in it's capacity to understand consequences of actions and belief in in intellect is to remain forever in the cycle of emotional pain which intellect is sworn to protect and give rational answers for irrational emotional behaviors.

Calling a kundalini experience an orgasm is missleading. The Kundalini experince is so powerfull and complete there is no body no emotions and no intellect but an experince of death as the individual surrenders up the binds created by their belief in their individuality. This death as an individual allows the experince of being God/Goddess as all knowing and pleasure beyond the capacity of the body to experince sexualy. The rest of ones life is usualy spent learning to integrate this knowing into daily living and enlightenment having been experinced requires the healing of the emotional and intellectual body in order to live as an enlightened being. After awakening we all are somewhere along this path of learning to live as love.

This statement that I saved from your response makes very clear that you did not understand what I wrote. Please reread and study what I wrote. The intellect is not vast enough to understand consequences of actions. The belief that we can logicaly use discernment and sensibility to judge what is good for us in the future is exactly why enlightenment is so difficult. This belief is also responsable for all the dammage humankind has done to our environment and other life forms. Only from the knowing experinced in complete surrender to the life force do we transcend this greatest of human failings, and I would go so far as to say meditation is the most important tool to avoid this on going universal failing of human kind. This is not ment to insult you in any way but a truth so clear as to be an immutable pivot for the future of human kind. The basis is fear of loss of control.

With love and compassion

Guy

(Quote refered to)

As far as surrender is concerned, we need to use

discernment and sensibility, logically looking at each

situation as it occurs..

I strongly recommend surrender and consequences be dammned. This is the direct road to an enlightened stat.e and anything less is the intellect playing games and pulling one astray. Intellect interjects its beliefs of what must be done and all the practical lifes skills that must be adheared to. Intellect is woefully inadiquate in it's capacity to understand consequences of actions and belief in in intellect is to remain forever in the cycle of emotional pain which intellect is sworn to protect and give rational answers for irrational emotional behaviors. .......

.......... The intellect is not vast enough to understand consequences of actions. The belief that we can logicaly use discernment and sensibility to judge what is good for us in the future is exactly why enlightenment is so difficult. This belief is also responsable for all the dammage humankind has done to our environment and other life forms. Only from the knowing experinced in complete surrender to the life force do we transcend this greatest of human failings, and I would go so far as to say meditation is the most important tool to avoid this on going universal failing of human kind. This is not ment to insult you in any way but a truth so clear as to be an immutable pivot for the future of human kind. The basis is fear of loss of control.

Couldn't agree more. Not easy, tho, until it is easy.... :)

Sign in to follow this