effilang

What are the benefits of Horse Stance + Thunder Palms

I know this is common practice in many Gung Fu systems, but does anyone know why and what the energetic and physical/martial benefits are?

I have heard some holding this for 1 or 2 hours, which seems like an eternity to me as i can only hold it for 5 to 10 minutes maximum before i crumple under strain. A minute later tho i feel absolutely orgasmic : )

I feel like the energy in my whole lower body expands and expands and expands and contracts and contracts at the same time.

Anyone?

:lol:

PS: I specifically mean the "deep" horse stance (90 degree knees, straight back, wide stance + thunder palms, index finger pointing to the heavens)

Yes this is the classic Shaolin practice -- Qigong master Chunyi Lin had to do it for 2 hours nonstop every day for 3 months straight at Shaolin -- no movement at all!! http://springforestqigong.com It depends how bent the knees are but in the movies there's always the bowls of water put on the thighs and shoulders to keep the body in perfect form. Or a candle below the bum.

I did this practice quite a bit -- essentially you'll really open up the chi transmission through the hands -- the palm energy is yang for transmitting the healing chi.

You'll see this in the movies too -- the old monk will put his palm on the heart of an injured martial arts fighter. Chunyi Lin did this to me once and it was awesome! The whole body fills with light along with the blissful laser sensation!

So those movies are actually based on the real abilities even though they are rare. You just want good meditation music and then your hands will experience all the energy transformations -- even going numb as the channels open up -- and so that warm tingling sensation is a good thing. Then the electromagnetic fields will get stronger.

I know this is common practice in many Gung Fu systems, but does anyone know why and what the energetic and physical/martial benefits are?

I have heard some holding this for 1 or 2 hours, which seems like an eternity to me as i can only hold it for 5 to 10 minutes maximum before i crumple under strain. A minute later tho i feel absolutely orgasmic : )

I feel like the energy in my whole lower body expands and expands and expands and contracts and contracts at the same time.

Anyone?

PS: I specifically mean the "deep" horse stance (90 degree knees, straight back, wide stance + thunder palms, index finger pointing to the heavens)

Anyone?

We were doing this stance in our qwan (kwon) but only as a warming exercise, so I won't advise you to push your limits, but only gradually. We were practicing it with poles/spears on our knees which were not supposed to fall down.

Do three reps of 1 min hold with pause of 1 min in between them. After three or six months of practice at every training session, increase the length of the exercise and also the resting period between reps to 1 min and 30 sec. Then after 3 - 6 months you can increase at 3 min. And so on until you reach your own limit. The secret is the breathing that should be as slow and deep as possible, I was doing 5 breaths a minute at the time but also I advise you to increase the difficulty slowly in time.

One hour in this position is impossible to me, even 30 minutes I think it's like in hell to do it... but I knew a guy who could do it with some heavy weights/sandbags on the tights/knees...

Edited by steam