Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

I need help learning japanese?

Anyone know of a good program to learn japanese from like books or cd something that does not require a computer?

Michel Thomas' program. I'm doing the chinese program, it's an 8 hour foundation program which at the end of I'll be able to have conversation in mandarin. It's incredibly quick, and is so natural I don't even try to remember it, yet I do. In one week I should be able to say I can speak mandarin.

I suggest you buy the textbook, workbook, and audio for Genki levels I and II. It is an excellent book that will teach you everything you need to know about grammar, both formally and informally (a big deal in Japanese), teach you a bunch of essential vocab, and all of the basic characters you need to know for introductory communication.

I used that book for self study in high school, and it's also used by many universities, and if you just know everything in that book cover to cover, you'll know everything you'll need to know to get out and around in Japan, and even have some good conversations. (Genki I and II was all I knew when I did foreign exchange to Japan for 2 months, and I understood pretty much everything, and I knew enough to form a base for some harder classes, and by the time I got to university, I placed straight into the higher levels).

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

If at all possible I recommend taking a class. Barring that, though, you should be able to get far (if you have motivation) by teaching yourself. I hear rosetta stone is a respectable program, but the Yookoso textbooks are what I used (few complaints) and they also have some online support. You can supplement your learning by watching Japanese television and film. It will help you practice listening and get a feel for the cadence and tone of spoken Japanese.

As for Old, if you're learning Mandarin in eight hours it's not because you have the correct program, it's because you're a rare genius.

Japanese's difficulties are not in speaking , pronunciation or grammar. All mentioned are simple . The difficulties of this language lie in Kanji , different pronunciations of kanji due to its historical links to the Chinese culture ; many kinds of "habitual" expressions that always are attached to the end of sentences; double negations as implicit and circumlocutory way of expressions, many unsystematic rules...etc.

As all emphasizes /changes are put at the end of a sentence , totally different from English, learning Japanese is definitely a good way of sharpening a static mind.

Edited by exorcist_1699

Sign in to follow this