Mantra68

Kunlun in the movie Avatar

Guest winpro07

I saw it in 3D and non. I would say only see the 3D while it's out. The colors are much more fantastic in 3D

Guest paul walter

I've got to bring this thread back to life--I just saw Avatar, and it is now definitely in my top 2 or 3 movie favorites ever. I was a bit displeased to come back to the rest of reality when the movie ended.

It just struck me as I was leaving the theatre all the garbage being generated in America. And all the pollution that is going on needlessly. And the lack of connection with the Earth. And the tribal nit-picky bullshit that goes on globally. And the horrible way people seem to treat each. And the lack of responsibility for it all.

Well, as its new years where I am in about 45 minutes, Im gonna do better this year. Im gonna waste less, get in tune more, exercise my body more to use it as my vehicle toward change, and Im seriously gonna try really really hard.

Im going to start with making a plan of action.

I will be outside more.

I will try to find ways to recycle more (I already do, but I bet I can do better)

I will bring a cup with me instead of always using a disposable cup when I get an ice tea at the gas station.

I will ride my bike or walk when I can, instead of driving.

I will try and reach more people and share ideas to be more Planet friendly.

I will do this and many other things in incremental steps, and I will make a difference, and help others to do so.

I will start small, and make a snowball effect. History has been changed by a single individual numerous times. Think of what all us BUMs could do together!

Who's with me?

Happy new year, lets make it a happy one for mother earth.

Reform is the last hope of the helpless. Why not jump class like he was telling us in 'Titanic', or better jump species and leave what can't be reformed behind as he's telling us in 'Avatar'?

Reform is the last hope of the helpless.

I see where you are coming from, but if we all claim hopelessness, then we are just giving up and denying personal responsibility.

Why not jump class like he was telling us in 'Titanic',

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty high up in the class system globally. Which is a pretty good spot to affect real change.

or better jump species and leave what can't be reformed behind as he's telling us in 'Avatar'?

Dude, if I had the opportunity to leave everything I know behind and live on Pandora, I would do it in a human heat beat.

In the movie avatar they are spinning anti-clockwise. Is the Kunlun practice anti-clockwise?

It's a movie not a tutorial :lol: but in fairness I noticed the spin direction as well :)

In kunlun 1 from the book no direction of spin is mentioned. The couple practice starts off spinning clockwise.

Letting go is the most important part but hope that helps anyhow.

It's a movie not a tutorial :lol: but in fairness I noticed the spin direction as well :)

In kunlun 1 from the book no direction of spin is mentioned. The couple practice starts off spinning clockwise.

Letting go is the most important part but hope that helps anyhow.

It's like the light bulb. ;) If you want to screw it in, you spin clockwise, for energy release. If you want to screw it out, you spin it counterclockwise, for energy conservation.

Spirals going clockwise release energy. Good for cleansing/detox/release/heal others/hurt others (if that's what you're releasing) purposes.

Spirals going counterclockwise take it in. Good for absorbing/increase/store/take from others (whether the good stuff or the bad stuff you're taking) purposes.

Edited by Taomeow

When learning Wicca we use to have to reverse our directions, due to being in the southern hemisphere. Most of the practices I know come from the northern hemisphere so directions stir up a lot of argument down under depending on what system you are into.

Currently I'm in the "Intent is everything go with your feelings camp" with whatever system you believe in being "correct for you"

Being left handed generally makes the layout of stuff in this world less than optimal too :lol:

When learning Wicca we use to have to reverse our directions, due to being in the southern hemisphere. Most of the practices I know come from the northern hemisphere so directions stir up a lot of argument down under depending on what system you are into.

Currently I'm in the "Intent is everything go with your feelings camp" with whatever system you believe in being "correct for you"

Being left handed generally makes the layout of stuff in this world less than optimal too :lol:

Down under might be reversed -- water knows best! What do aborigines say?

Left-handed for a man is a cultivation bonus, methinks.

Intent that goes against sacred geometry loses hands down, I'm afraid. :unsure:

Down under might be reversed -- water knows best! What do aborigines say?

Don't know :(

Since they are our indigenous culture unfortunately I have a lifetime of being told they are silly people that need the white mans help to live properly. Their knowledge is tremendously undervalued here. My parents generation is extremely racist and mine is not much better. Things have improved but it's still so much easier to look up to exotic foreign cultures than the ones your society is grinding into the dirt........

Don't know :(

Since they are our indigenous culture unfortunately I have a lifetime of being told they are silly people that need the white mans help to live properly. Their knowledge is tremendously undervalued here. My parents generation is extremely racist and mine is not much better. Things have improved but it's still so much easier to look up to exotic foreign cultures than the ones your society is grinding into the dirt........

Right... It happened everywhere, but in Australia it was still in full swing incredibly recently -- didn't they take away aboriginal children from their parents by force to get them "civilized" till, like, the 70s of the 20th century? God only knows how much an original culture retains of what it used to have after it was so thoroughly dismantled.

While we're on the subject... My mother always tells the story of how an uneducated, illiterate old peasant woman in Siberia once saw her give me a pill when I was sick with a cold or something, and asked her with genuine surprise, "THIS is going to make a child healthy?.. THIS?.." She asked her to show her the pills, sniffed at them, turned them around this way and that way, took a little bite -- and all the while was marveling: "THIS?.. Makes a child healthy?.. You give THIS to a little girl to make her healthy?.." My mother told me she thought the woman was unbelievably ignorant -- and now she believes it's the other way around, it was she who was unbelievably ignorant.

We got the opportunity to see Avatar today a la 3D. Thanks to my brother for giving us a gift card to AMC for Christmas. I was deeply moved by this movie. I wont get into the story line out of respect for those who have not seen it yet. However, I was happy to see the meditations being practiced in this movie. Althought it's a fictional story it provides a good opportunity for the average person to appreciate other cultures, peoples, and that we all have much to learn from one another. I myself am looking forward to making this a year of progress on the path to heal myself, and to one day heal others. I am hopeful for the future ... I hope everybody gets to see this movie in one way or another .... Happy New Year To all ....

Cheers,

Tommy

I have seen Avatar many times, and every time i catch something new.

They have lot of jewels hidden in the movie, like everything in life, if we are open every situation can teach us.

for me the key is not to practice from mind but from heart. Each single time is different - practice with a pure and open heart and deep wisdom guides the movements.

Edited by JazZen

Spiral clockwise or anti clockwise - for me the key is not to practice from mind but from heart. Each single time is different - practice with a pure and open heart and deep wisdom guides the movements.

In the taoist tradition, the mind actually originates in the heart, not in the head. The situation when it becomes disconnected from the heart is viewed as pathological. In a healthy individual, the heart and the mind are not in a conflict, and they are not disconnected. To pitch one against the other is not part of the taoist tradition at all.

So a taoist who is intelligent and knowledgeable is thought of as manifesting a good heart, and one who is kind and compassionate is perceived as smart, and someone who is "bu ren," numb and unfeeling, is perceived as dull regardless of the extent of learning. Any inner conflict between "smart" and "kind," heart and mind, is a sign of disconnection, blockage, stagnation, or other shen disharmony. Modern upbringing creates this disharmony left and right, but it is not the norm. The norm is, when the heart is, as you say, open, its energy being Fire, the Light of this fire naturally goes upward to illuminate the mind, and that's where a bright mind really comes from. If you block the path, all the light in the mind will be artificial, i.e. relying exclusively on external sources. But assuming that any light of any bright mind is in some kind of conflict with the heart is quite the opposite of the actual healthy scenario.:)

In the taoist tradition, the mind actually originates in the heart, not in the head. The situation when it becomes disconnected from the heart is viewed as pathological. In a healthy individual, the heart and the mind are not in a conflict, and they are not disconnected. To pitch one against the other is not part of the taoist tradition at all.

So a taoist who is intelligent and knowledgeable is thought of as manifesting a good heart, and one who is kind and compassionate is perceived as smart, and someone who is "bu ren," numb and unfeeling, is perceived as dull regardless of the extent of learning. Any inner conflict between "smart" and "kind," heart and mind, is a sign of disconnection, blockage, stagnation, or other shen disharmony. Modern upbringing creates this disharmony left and right, but it is not the norm. The norm is, when the heart is, as you say, open, its energy being Fire, the Light of this fire naturally goes upward to illuminate the mind, and that's where a bright mind really comes from. If you block the path, all the light in the mind will be artificial, i.e. relying exclusively on external sources. But assuming that any light of any bright mind is in some kind of conflict with the heart is quite the opposite of the actual healthy scenario.:)

Can you recommend anything for opening the heart and bringing more light to the mind?