Mantra68

Kunlun in the movie Avatar

Just to answer many of you at once: Yes, they are doing what looks like Kunlun (Yi Gong) in the new movie Avatar. Did Max or myself work with James Cameron? No.

However, one of our students is very close to him and she did work on the film. Did she influence him? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Based on the design of the beings and some of the other elements, I would say James is pretty tapped in, so he probably pulled the info in by himself. Who knows?

Thanks for your inquiries. Sorry to disappoint.

Go see Avatar. It is amazing.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

For my money, Fritjof Capra has done more to explicate the deeper meaning of Taoism (and Asian thought in general) in solid, ecological terms than any other western scientist. The Santiago Theory of Cognition, which he has not authored but has championed in his works, states that "Living systems are cognitive systems, and living as a process is a process of cognition. This statement is valid for all organisms, with or without a nervous system. This theory contributes a perspective that cognition is a process present at other organic levels."

In other words, the Pandorans were cued in ecologically and cognitively to each other, on all levels.

I've tried to present ecology as The Discipline that westerners can use to understand what Taoism is saying, and I am either a poor communicator, or the stuff is just too out there for online forums. But maybe Cameron can do a better job. It's high time.

http://www.haven.net/patterns/capra.html

PS - It also looked very much like kundalini Yoga as practiced by Gurmukh.

Edited by Blasto

I've tried to present ecology as The Discipline that westerners can use to understand what Taoism is saying, and I am either a poor communicator, or the stuff is just too out there for online forums.
"Buddhist ecology" is hip in the U.S. Buddhist scene. Common enough that at least I've seen & heard the phrase used.

Another writer who'd dig what you're saying is Wendell Berry. He's a Christian farmer, but his philosophy has more recognizable commonality with that of Native American Indians and with Taoism. Deep, deep thinker, writer re: modern culture, agriculture, economy, character, ecology, community - and the basic fact that they're all interwoven. His various books of essays rock, but I don't connect with his (fiction) novels.

... haven't seen the movie.

What's Kunlun? ;)

What's Kunlun? ;)

Yi Gong.

The seated spiraling practice that opens all of your channels and allows you to more easily connect to the divine.

Not exactly the same as everything else, but it's worthwhile.

Yi Gong? is that just a different way of saying qigong chi gung chi kung .etc? or is it someting different?

No. It is the name of the spontaneous adjustment practice as given to Sifu Jenny (Wu) Lamb by her teacher in China.

She and I are putting out a DVD soon to make it easier for people to learn.

The practice became popularized globally after it was incorporated into Max Christensen's Kunlun system, which is the combination of Yi Gong and Red Phoenix. Both of which were two of the most highly guarded practices of Maoshan Taoism. Together they help one acheive the Gold Dragon Body or Light body.

Sitting and spiraling at the waist opens the body. Spiraling counter-clockwise will allow you to swim up into the energy and spiralling clockwise will allow the energy to swim into you. Both are great experiences.

Anyway, plenty has been written in this forum about these things.

A beautiful example of the practice can be seen in the movie Avatar. Ahhh, divine surrender....

Fascinating - I actually do a lot of spinning while i am sitting legs crossed to warm up my spine before every session.

How would you compare Kunlun to Qi Gong? - Goals? Results?

When is your DVD coming out and how much will it cost?

PS: I spin both clockwise and counter during my warm-ups. Would you say it is more appropriate for one to spin clockwise while laying the foundation, as opposed to counter?

At least until they are perhaps ready to receive divine energy?

Edited by effilang

Based on the design of the beings and some of the other elements, I would say James is pretty tapped in

Hey!

What race whould you compare the Na'vi?

When are the DVD's coming out?

Happy new year!

I saw a lot of native shamanism, Also u can see things that are found in Bali in their energy healing dances & in tantric circles especially when they all where by ewa seated. There is a lot of all around solid Universal Spiritual themes.

Fascinating - I actually do a lot of spinning while i am sitting legs crossed to warm up my spine before every session.

How would you compare Kunlun to Qi Gong? - Goals? Results?

When is your DVD coming out and how much will it cost?

PS: I spin both clockwise and counter during my warm-ups. Would you say it is more appropriate for one to spin clockwise while laying the foundation, as opposed to counter?

At least until they are perhaps ready to receive divine energy?

If you try the spinning for about an hour while you smile and breathe into your heart you will find out the difference between this and other Qi Gongs.

The key is letting go of the mind as you feel the smile.

The goal is the absolute release of all tensions in the body while surrendering to the divine.

The result of that goal is a harmonization of mind, body and spirit and a greater understanding of what you are.

Spinning clockwise draws the energy down and counter-clockwise draws the energy up. Swaying side to side also works and when you do that in 'feeling' mode you can actually 'swim' out of your body and go right back to your source. Like sperm to ovum. Then bask in the light of the divine.

The DVD should be available within the a few months. I am not sure what Jenny is going to charge at this point.

The Na'vi are supposedly very close to an actual cat-like race of et's. I've never met them so I wouldn't know. I believe their character design is a combination of this cat race and the Andromedans who are 7-12 feet tall and blue skinned.

Directors at this level (Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron) are all privy to some pretty great intel. They are in an important position where they can affect the entire planet, so certain imagery can be made popular to condition the masses to seeing these things possibly in real life. In this case, 10 foot-tall benevolent blue beings. There are many stories of tall blue beings interacting with humans lately. Maybe they are to be a part of our near future. Who knows?

Anyway, great movie! Great universal themes and some really beautiful and creative imagery.

If you try the spinning for about an hour while you smile and breathe into your heart you will find out the difference between this and other Qi Gongs.

The key is letting go of the mind as you feel the smile.

The goal is the absolute release of all tensions in the body while surrendering to the divine.

The result of that goal is a harmonization of mind, body and spirit and a greater understanding of what you are.

Spinning clockwise draws the energy down and counter-clockwise draws the energy up. Swaying side to side also works and when you do that in 'feeling' mode you can actually 'swim' out of your body and go right back to your source. Like sperm to ovum. Then bask in the light of the divine.

The DVD should be available within the a few months. I am not sure what Jenny is going to charge at this point.

The Na'vi are supposedly very close to an actual cat-like race of et's. I've never met them so I wouldn't know. I believe their character design is a combination of this cat race and the Andromedans who are 7-12 feet tall and blue skinned.

Directors at this level (Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron) are all privy to some pretty great intel. They are in an important position where they can affect the entire planet, so certain imagery can be made popular to condition the masses to seeing these things possibly in real life. In this case, 10 foot-tall benevolent blue beings. There are many stories of tall blue beings interacting with humans lately. Maybe they are to be a part of our near future. Who knows?

Anyway, great movie! Great universal themes and some really beautiful and creative imagery.

Thanks for the answers.

Do you know the name of the cat like race? I have a feeling they are related to the beautiful Sekhmet.

A year ago I started to have visions of tall blue skinned beings, I guess it's what they call a star family..

The reason I ask is because that movie triggered many familiar things in me, it really speak to the unconscious mind.

The shamanistic scenes are amazing...

Truley amazing movie.

Thanks for the answers.

Do you know the name of the cat like race? I have a feeling they are related to the beautiful Sekhmet.

A year ago I started to have visions of tall blue skinned beings, I guess it's what they call a star family..

The reason I ask is because that movie triggered many familiar things in me, it really speak to the unconscious mind.

The shamanistic scenes are amazing...

Truley amazing movie.

I believe the Lyrans have been referred to as catlike in appearance.

Yeah, I think it is triggering A LOT of things for many people. For many a feeling of familiarity and even home sickness.

Crazy.

I believe the Lyrans have been referred to as catlike in appearance.

Yeah, I think it is triggering A LOT of things for many people. For many a feeling of familiarity and even home sickness.

Crazy.

Yes, amazing.

It definitely reminded me of home. it was like meeting my past life from my current one, like a mirror..

I think it brings back memories/feelings to many people that not even aware about their past, that's what so amazing.

I just saw this movie, I got a lot of native american stuff from it. It was amazing.

One questions though what does it mean if i have a sexual attraction to the navi (the alien race)?

Edited by mewtwo

I just saw this movie, I got a lot of native american stuff from it. It was amazing.

One questions though what does it mean if i have a sexual attraction to the navi (the alien race)?

It means we are all one. ;)

You mean Neytiri? No worries brother. B)

There was a blue race in the long "past" before they left/ascended just like the grate Aztecs did after them.

comp-radha-krishna-gemalt.jpg

Edited by Smile

Greetings..

My first inclination is to very highly recommend seeing the movie Avatar, but.. I also see the inherent tendency people have for seeing or reading or imagining a ficticious circumstance, then adding it to their belief system as though it were real.. So much of the 'new-age' movement can be linked to fiction published many years ago, or.. linked to myths and legends that have no verifiable basis.. in short, escapism..

Be well..

Avatar is another fine movie by George Lucas, but I think he should have included the Ewoks in this one too. They had a much better party at the end of 'Jedi' than they did in Avatar. I did like the overall 'Blueman' theme though, similar to 'arrested Development', a highly underated U.S Sit-com.

All in all it's a credit to the Star Wars series.

Avatar is another fine movie by George Lucas, but I think he should have included the Ewoks in this one too. They had a much better party at the end of 'Jedi' than they did in Avatar. I did like the overall 'Blueman' theme though, similar to 'arrested Development', a highly underated U.S Sit-com.

All in all it's a credit to the Star Wars series.

Just saw this thing in it 3D. Must admit it was a great show.

And not being familiar with KunLun, I could say that in 2 years time qigong is going to be pretty trendy. A couple of major moviestars starting to sit and forget, and we may have the same thing happening to qigong as Sting and Madonna was for Yoga.

We project much of our former conditioning, and past books, films and probably even our longing for inherent meaning into this film. After all, its a computer animated, sentimental, and as lacking debth as any James Cameron flick. And if you know a little film history, it has borrowed major parts of the imagery and narrative from such pretty known films as Alien, Terminator, Star Wars, Blade Runner, My left foot, Lord of the Rings, even Starship Troopers and Planet of the Apes and many more. So no wonder we feel the plot or milieu is oddly familiar. But that's all fine.

What took me by surprise was that i sat besides a group of teenage girls. At certain scenes that I felt strongly aligned with my Daoist heart, I could see in the corner of my eye they were all drying the tears of their faces.

And so did probably most of the audience. In those moments there was a sense of wonder. A kind of sense of something special that gripped them beyond the whole elaborate emotional button-pushing.

I think the story stirred a longing to connect that quite dramatically is presented in this film. And I feel it has a good chance of contributing to turning a little ripple in the tide in this dark tea time of the Soul that we are living in. And it's pretty political too.

It probably boils down to the fact that we all have this sacred tree of life inside. And you cant fool truth. That's probably why it has reached such a wide audience.

h

Just to answer many of you at once: Yes, they are doing what looks like Kunlun (Yi Gong) in the new movie Avatar. Did Max or myself work with James Cameron? No.

However, one of our students is very close to him and she did work on the film. Did she influence him? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Hi Chris,

Yes it did have a "sit and circle" in certain parts, very nice movie. Seriously a BIG group of focused beings working together would feel pretty good.

Good to see you around, have a great new year too.

Love Mal

Having just seen Avatar in 3D-awesome BTW- i will say any practice that brings one in concert with the TAO will think that movie is about their practice. I see a lot of similiarites to our KAP practices. The movie moved Santiago and I deeply because of this. It's really not all that important which path you choose to bring yourself in concert with the Tao...just choose one and practice.

:)

Hi Chris,

Yes it did have a "sit and circle" in certain parts, very nice movie. Seriously a BIG group of focused beings working together would feel pretty good.

Good to see you around, have a great new year too.

Love Mal

Yeah it was cool. We have done focused practice like that where a group of practitioners sit in a circle and have someone who is sick or in need of some serious healing/balancing sit in the middle. The energy that is generated is very powerful and sitting in the middle is quite an experience.

Focused, positive, loving intent. You could change the world with that sh*t. ;)

To be clear though, it was that particular scene that made our jaws drop. I am not saying I thought the movie was about "Kunlun".

I've got to bring this thread back to life--I just saw Avatar, and it is now definitely in my top 2 or 3 movie favorites ever. I was a bit displeased to come back to the rest of reality when the movie ended.

It just struck me as I was leaving the theatre all the garbage being generated in America. And all the pollution that is going on needlessly. And the lack of connection with the Earth. And the tribal nit-picky bullshit that goes on globally. And the horrible way people seem to treat each. And the lack of responsibility for it all.

Well, as its new years where I am in about 45 minutes, Im gonna do better this year. Im gonna waste less, get in tune more, exercise my body more to use it as my vehicle toward change, and Im seriously gonna try really really hard.

Im going to start with making a plan of action.

I will be outside more.

I will try to find ways to recycle more (I already do, but I bet I can do better)

I will bring a cup with me instead of always using a disposable cup when I get an ice tea at the gas station.

I will ride my bike or walk when I can, instead of driving.

I will try and reach more people and share ideas to be more Planet friendly.

I will do this and many other things in incremental steps, and I will make a difference, and help others to do so.

I will start small, and make a snowball effect. History has been changed by a single individual numerous times. Think of what all us BUMs could do together!

Who's with me?

Happy new year, lets make it a happy one for mother earth.

Edited by everseeking