Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Contradiction

Is Jungian psychology accepted as fact?

OMC,

Answer is NO.

Basically neither the 'collective unconsious' nor 'archetypes' are anywhere but in the fringes of 'merican' culture. Also many 'jundian' language terms have significantly different popular meanings and usage in 'merican' language - examples are 'shadow', 'animus'...

and btw. Jungian is not a spin off of Freud any more than most of us are spin offs of our favorite teachers or professors. OR any more than most of us are spin offs of any of our teachers who denigrated and discounted our progressions to the point of a huge split.

Jung did not think, feel, sense, or intuit 'psychoanalytically'. Nor do aiuthentic, current Jungian practitioners...

hth

Answer is definitely no. The subject of archetypes is a vast one and should be on the learning curve of anyone interested in The Path, and to get a healthy dose of insight, the Chakra scholars have a lot to offer.

http://www.amazon.com/Chakras-Their-Archet...4609&sr=1-1

But if you really want to connect the dots between cutting edge behavioral science, postmodernism, and Buddhist psychology (which are united in their assessment, BTW) you can check out a copy of "The Theory of Everything" by Ken Wilber and "A Buddhist History of the West" by David Loy. "Buddhism without Beliefs" by Stephen Batchelor paved the way for a lot of interesting East/West psychological dialogue too.

OMC,

You might see if you can find a library or used bookstore with the following book

What's Wrong with Jung

I found it gave a lot of food for thought. It is one thing to hear how Jung's theories aren't considered scientifically oriented or backed up by research. It's quite another to actually see someone demonstrate and articulate the many reasons why.

Anyhoo...it's a thoughtful and interesting book. Worth checking out if you get the chance.

OMC,

You might see if you can find a library or used bookstore with the following book

What's Wrong with Jung

I found it gave a lot of food for thought. It is one thing to hear how Jung's theories aren't considered scientifically oriented or backed up by research. It's quite another to actually see someone demonstrate and articulate the many reasons why.

Anyhoo...it's a thoughtful and interesting book. Worth checking out if you get the chance.

I'll check that out after I read Jung's work. That way I go into the whole thing with background knowledge. To tell you the truth I am hoping I find truth in Jung's work. It will make for good conversation when it comes to 2012, astrology, and other metaphysical wonders.

Sign in to follow this