Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Contradiction

How to train problem solving, creativity, and charisma?

I want to find a way to thoroughly exercise these areas of my life. My gongfu training has gone beyond my expectations and opened me up to something new and exciting. I am exercising almost every part of my mind and body with great efficiency. But my internal experience is still limited and I feel that my training and life would both be enhanced if I intelligently focused on my weaker points: Active intelligence, creativity, and charisma.

My best idea for exercising my social mind is to start talking to strangers. Also, trying to exercise the Charisma Arts and Juggler philosophy when talking to others.

For problem solving, I can only think of puzzles. Start solving puzzles. Do puzzles actually spike your intelligence?

For creativity, true authentic creativity, I do not know. Maybe this will be integral to my growing social experience.

Do you have any suggestions or comments?

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

Active intelligence,

What's passive intelligence?

creativity,

What is stale and uncreative?

and charisma.

Love thyself and love others.

For problem solving

A problem well defined is a problem half-solved.

What's passive intelligence?

passive intelligence is not required of you in the moment. A passively intelligent person can sit at home and comprehend quantum physics but will have a fumbling mind when asked to describe it. Of course, passive is not really the word I'd use.

What is stale and uncreative?

an answer

Love thyself and love others.

true

I want to find a way to thoroughly exercise these areas of my life. My gongfu training has gone beyond my expectations and opened me up to something new and exciting. I am exercising almost every part of my mind and body with great efficiency. But my internal experience is still limited and I feel that my training and life would both be enhanced if I intelligently focused on my weaker points: Active intelligence, creativity, and charisma.

My best idea for exercising my social mind is to start talking to strangers. Also, trying to exercise the Charisma Arts and Juggler philosophy when talking to others.

For problem solving, I can only think of puzzles. Start solving puzzles. Do puzzles actually spike your intelligence?

For creativity, true authentic creativity, I do not know. Maybe this will be integral to my growing social experience.

Talking to strangers seems like a good idea (it's ok to talk to strangers when your a 'grownup') and I think it worked/works for me. For added challenge talk to the ones who make you nervous, ridiculously hot women for instance.

For creativity I would suggest making a habit of looking at things from as many perspectives as you can. ' how would so-and-so look at this?' same for problem solving, I guess.

Thats the best I can come up with right now, but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in with some solid advice.

Noble pursuits! :) that's a comment,

and as for suggestions, here goes:

1. Talking to strangers is fine, but doing it with conscious awareness of the dynamics turned on is better. Strangers will start out either asking you a lot of questions or expecting you to ask them a lot of questions for a conversation to take place. That's because people are used to being noticed by strangers only for looking a certain way and ignored for all other purposes. So they will ask questions in order to maintain a conversation if they're emotional adults, or expect to be asked questions if they're emotional kids (regardless of biological age). Stir in the direction you want to go by closely monitoring whether you're drilling, being drilled, or naturally conversing as equals. The "who's asking and who's answering" is a reliable indicator. If you notice the stranger is doing all the asking, you want to turn it around, establish that you are not an emotional child, by taking the questioning initiative: answer briefly and then deflect with an "and what about you?" "and what's your opinion on...?" and so on. If you notice the conversation dies unless you ask questions, turn it around, ask, "do you want to know something about me?.." (If they say yes, that's your chance to be the child and babble away! If they say no, look for someone else to talk to!) And of course if it's spontaneous, equal, easy, and going back and forth like a dance, well... then this stranger is worth not remaining a stranger anymore! :)

2. Puzzles -- um, no. Problem-solving is learned by solving problems. Do you have problems in your life? Does someone you know have problems no one is helping them solve? Put your mind to that. (Just don't enforce your solutions -- try to find them but don't force-feed them.)

3. For creativity -- create. Hey, there's this haiku chain that's been going on for eons, 103 pages thereof -- why don't you come over and create a haiku? You would immediately see what a creative task is like in its most rudimentary form: there's freedom to express (whatever you like to put there, any image, any thought, you're the boss) and there's strict limitations too (5-7-5 syllables only to squeeze all of your imagination of the moment into, and the first line is already taken by someone else's imagination since it's a chain where you have to link onto the last line of the previous haiku, so you only have 12 syllables to utter... tough -- and realistic when applied to any creative process where you can't go any which way, you have to link yourself to humanity somehow, that's the only, but crucial, difference between the creative process and the schizophrenic process.)

Sign in to follow this