Sign in to follow this  
thaddeus

Perineum Power

I'm about to abandon the dantian model of movement in favor of moving using the perineum. Anyone 'get' what i'm talking about and understand it? I think it helps integrate breathing better into whole body movement.

Think of chi weightlifting as you turn your torso to get an idea.

thaddeus

I've heard it said that if you place your awareness on your perineum and/or the bottom of your feet then you'll be grounded and everything else will come into alignment. Not really tried it.

place your awareness on your perineum and/or the bottom of your feet then you'll be grounded
The Exhale comes through again. (Look at the last technique.)

moving using the perineum. Anyone 'get' what i'm talking about and understand it?
I haven't experienced how its integrated with movement. Thanks for the tip, will experiment.

I haven't experienced how its integrated with movement. Thanks for the tip, will experiment.

Though I haven't seen it specifically written anywhere, my take on the pilates I've taken so far is that the source of movement for pilates exercise is integrated closely with the perineum. 'Navel to spine' activates it.

.. pilates exercise .. the perineum. 'Navel to spine' activates it.

Some similarities with how I've been activating it in my practice. Both working with the exhale, creates a slight internal suction that gently pulls on the point from the inside, activates it. Or could be that activating navel and spine kicked in neighboring powerful points (perineum, hui yin).

Some similarities with how I've been activating it in my practice. Both working with the exhale, creates a slight internal suction that gently pulls on the point from the inside, activates it. Or could be that activating navel and spine kicked in neighboring powerful points (perineum, hui yin).

Turning the torso seems to activate one side of the perineum. I noticed if your greater dantian area is tight and locked up, there is little movement in the perineum area. It's pretty cool exploration for me and gives me good feedback on the amount of abdominal tension I'm feeling.

I'm about to abandon the dantian model of movement in favor of moving using the perineum. Anyone 'get' what i'm talking about and understand it? I think it helps integrate breathing better into whole body movement.

Think of chi weightlifting as you turn your torso to get an idea.

thaddeus

Isn't the perineuam part of the dan tien?

In a sense?

Isn't the perineuam part of the dan tien?

In a sense?

Sure..i guess it can be the 'bottom' of the dantian, like the mingmen is the 'back' of the dantian. In yoga, you are taught to manipulate the perineum in the poses and through the transitions. It provides stability. So, it is also an integral part of movement. In that sense, I think learning to move from the perineum would be a better model that moving from the dantian. I think moving from the dantian, one can still freeze the perineum or lose awareness of the subtle pumps and lifts going on in there. Anyway, it was just an observation from my experimenting with these ideas.

T

moving from the dantian.

I think that its a very valid, actually necesary, approach to look at the parts (like the perineum) and what it takes to activate each.

ime, on these boards, no one knows what an activated, fully functioning tan tien is. The basic question comes up a few times a year "what is a tan tien", and everyone kind of goes, "duhhhhh... good question!".

So, I think its perhaps a little premature to think of "moving from the tan tien". ..and that the detailed "finding & activating the parts" that might add up to a real live tan tien one day is maybe a practical approach.

Edited by Trunk

I think that its a very valid, actually necesary, approach to look at the parts (like the perineum) and what it takes to activate each.

ime, on these boards, no one knows what an activated, fully functioning tan tien is. The basic question comes up a few times a year "what is a tan tien", and everyone kind of goes, "duhhhhh... good question!".

So, I think its perhaps a little premature to think of "moving from the tan tien". ..and that the detailed "finding & activating the parts" that might add up to a real live tan tien one day is maybe a practical approach.

Another angle on this is that technically, the tan tien just directs the power that is coming from the ground (via the legs). It's like a switch station...actually, now I don't know why I just said that..just throwing it into the discussion..

:)

T

Edited by thaddeus

Seems like different parts for different purposes.

Somthing interesting is to see how the axis ties the huiyin with baihui and the different ways the axis can be used to give directionality to your movement.... or just goofing around to feel how and whats going on.

Dantien wise..... what do you folks call empty breathing..... where you breath circulating the tissues and what not in the lower dantien to varying degrees? This breathing certainly turns on different parts of the dantien.

What I really like about taoism and nei dan is that it is endless and at each level I am stunned at the possibilities and what is to come.

Sign in to follow this