Sign in to follow this  
TheDragon20

The taoist diet?

So I been reading up on Taoism online and there was a thing about the diet of taoist. There was stuff that I

needed to increase in eating and stuff I need to decrease in eating. If I need to be a Taoist do I really need to

follow the taoist diet?

Taoism is not a prescriptive religion. It does not tell you that you must eat something or most not eat something else for taboo purposes. Rather, after you go to a tradition Chinese medical doctor (acupuncturist) they can give you dietary advice that will increase your health, your chi, and your lifespan. It is not religious as much as it is just doing what is best for your body.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in Taoism? Your questions sound like you are coming from a very western religious background. Most eastern religions are much more of a blend of philosophy, personal physical and spiritual development, and cultural practice. It is much more based upon personal experience and direct contact with the divine than on faith (unless you are doing bhaki yoga or Pure Land practice ;) ).

Well for me the reasons why I am interested in it is cause from what I have read and so far from wikipedia it interests me its difficult for me to say the reasons why. But a reason I would say is to be apart of something that can put me on a path that I feel comfortable being on if that makes sense.

Increase intake of the following

Whole grains and products made with them

Vegetables (ideally organic and seasonal, stir fried or steamed, not boiled or eaten raw)

Fruit (in moderation; not tropical; ideally dried or baked, and only what is in season)

Seeds and nuts (roasted)

Tofu and soy

Herbs (although herbal usage is normally carefully prescribed)

Chinese and herbal tea

Decrease intake of the following

Refined products (such as white sugar, flour, and bread)

Artificial additives/preservatives of any kind

Rock salt

Deep fried foods

Alcohol, tobacco, caffeine

Certain meats such as beef, pork and lamb

Certain vegetables such as spinach, potatoes, rhubarb

This is what I read that I guess you could say it a suggested diet a Taoist should follow to have a better and healither body. Your thoughts on this?

Sign in to follow this