Old Man Contradiction

Do you believe that you can learn from the body?

I have heard before on this forum that one of the ways internal martial arts changes you is because you are learning very universal principles in the form of your body. Such as learning to adapt and overcome physical forces, also teaching you to adapt and overcome life situations or social experiences. Or the observed flow and dynamic between soft and hard teaching you to accept your own weak and strong points. Another example would be that accepting the pain of horse stance is also teaching to accept other forms of pain, such as emotional pain.

Do you believe that this is true? Do you have any comments?

Yes, the body teaches you inner knowing- true intuition. Clarity, understanding. Its all connected.

The body is your subconscious, the trick is merging the body with your awareness.

I agree. I think there is an enormous amount we can learn from our bodies (and minds). We just need to learn how to listen. It's interesting that we have been conditioned to feel that everything important there is to know comes from outside of us. Yet, where are we in more direct, intimate contact with the universe than in our own minds and bodies? To learn about the world around us, there is no better place to look than inside, IMO.

Yes, the body teaches you inner knowing- true intuition. Clarity, understanding. Its all connected.

The body is your subconscious, the trick is merging the body with your awareness.

I agree. I think there is an enormous amount we can learn from our bodies (and minds). We just need to learn how to listen. It's interesting that we have been conditioned to feel that everything important there is to know comes from outside of us. Yet, where are we in more direct, intimate contact with the universe than in our own minds and bodies? To learn about the world around us, there is no better place to look than inside, IMO.

Another example would be that accepting the pain of horse stance is also teaching to accept other forms of pain, such as emotional pain.

Do you believe that this is true? Do you have any comments?

I don't think it's quite like that. Horse stance, just to stay with your example though this is a much broader topic, isn't painful unless you're doing something wrong. Over-eagerness at the beginner and intermediate levels is a mistake, thus it hurts. So, the signals you get from the body shouldn't just be "accepted", they should be utilized and exploited as a lesson in how to do it better next time, or a way of finding your appropriate pace in your private development. I think, yes, pain, physical and emotional, teaches, but because we've followed the examples and lessons of imperfect teachers all our lives, many of us interpret the lessons incorrectly, and react in less productive ways. "Grin and bear it" isn't a good long-term policy, in exercise or relationships.

Love is the most painful lesson of all. Learn to do that right, and you've really made progress. The body is a piece of cake in comparison.

edit: the connection between emotions and sickness, in the TCM sense, is a whole other ball of silk, and thoroughly researched, obviously.

Edited by soaring crane

I don't think it's quite like that. Horse stance, just to stay with your example though this is a much broader topic, isn't painful unless you're doing something wrong. Over-eagerness at the beginner and intermediate levels is a mistake, thus it hurts. So, the signals you get from the body shouldn't just be "accepted", they should be utilized and exploited as a lesson in how to do it better next time, or a way of finding your appropriate pace in your private development. I think, yes, pain, physical and emotional, teaches, but because we've followed the examples and lessons of imperfect teachers all our lives, many of us interpret the lessons incorrectly, and react in less productive ways. "Grin and bear it" isn't a good long-term policy, in exercise or relationships.

Love is the most painful lesson of all. Learn to do that right, and you've really made progress. The body is a piece of cake in comparison.

edit: the connection between emotions and sickness, in the TCM sense, is a whole other ball of silk, and thoroughly researched, obviously.

I have to disagree about horse stance. For me, it is painful and I don't even stand mindlessly.

I too don't think it's quite like the way I posted. I just wanted to hear what you all had to say. I think the real meat and bones of transformation when it comes down to the gritty hard work of the internal martial arts is finding out what you are made of. If your training isn't hard work it's probably not going to get you to the level you want it to. If your intention is only to "grin and bear it" then you aren't really doing zhan zhuang in horse stance anyway. If your intention is focused in, and your intensity has risen, then it becomes a different matter.

You are right about imperfect teachers but it sounds like I am seeing that from a different angle.

If your intention is only to "grin and bear it" then you aren't really doing zhan zhuang in horse stance anyway.

Hi Old Man - but this is how I understood your question/statement. I knew I wasn't geting in completely right, but now I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.... :)

Edited by soaring crane

If you learn to move from the center of your body you will also emotionally tune in to the center of your being. If you strengthen the core of the body the core of your psyche will also be strong. When I have worked the muscles suporting my spine very well I have had a strong experience of how the expression "having no spine" actually corresponds well with having a weak spine physically. There is so much mental resilience in having a strong spine physically.

Read the book Blink about the immense power and sometimes futility of our intuitive snap judgements. These are often much more precises and better guides than our brains and to tune into them you must tune into your body and especially the dan tien are and physically learn to initiate movements from it. However, there are som instances were these judgments tend to be wrong and the brain is the better problem solver. Blink teaches you about many instances where the one or the other is best.