mewtwo

Iron palm taugh with instructor or through book?

Not this day and age as long as the book or dvd has good information and teaches you how to look after your hands, use the Dit Dar Jow, massage, energy healing, qi kung, other exercises to keep them strong and flexible.

You might want to check out my Burning Palm System when I put it out on DVD, and I have a good friend Dale Dugas that teaches a different Iron Palm system, which he has a website online and sells herbs as well.

My Burning Palm System comes from Bak Fu Pai "white Tiger system under Grandmaster Doo Wai, as well I have Iron Palm from my White eyebrow and Yau Kung Mun systems, I teach via correspondance Iron Palm and sell herbs also like dale. Ive had equal results from one on one and via video/dvd or book as long as the teacher puts the information in there and has all what I mentioned you can do Iron Palm without a teacher. Iron Palm is serious and you need to go slow and steady, use medicine and do the other exercises to keep your hands healthy.

best of luck~

Spirit Ape

P.S What are you after in Iron Palm, what do you think its about?

http://burningpalm.webs.com/index.html

Getting them happening soon, had some major changes to my life which I had to put it on the back burner. My old website is down I had it up for almost 10yrs, I'll be teaching many new methods that havent been taught from myself which is exciting for me and I want to also do a great job on them before I put it out.

I think the Burning Palm System is one of the rarest type of Iron Palm systems, and has many things to offer especially if you are into esoteric type cultivation and training. Anyway I believe anyone can learn from DVD especially if the teacher puts his heart into it and never leaves out a single word or method that will make you succeed and progress.

Also ever Iron Palm system is different, some just hit hands on bags, some have mixed chi kung and meditation, some use herbs and some dont. Just becareful and check the person out before buying anything and trying it.

regards

Spirit Ape

Well I want to advance my spiritual practice.

I guess i will share with you the story.

See i first got into all this stuff in 9th grade with taichi. I foudn an insturctor in our town and he taught sun style taichi. Well we pracitced for about 5 months 2 times a week then he had to move cause he found a better job in chicago, the area where i live in just does not have that good of jobs. so about a year goes by and i deside to do an external kung fu with his student who took over the class, well that was not for me at the time. I ask about my former teacher and find out that he has died. Well needless to say i was sadened by that. So I had not been keeping up with my taichi so i asked for a refresher course, and the new instructor taught it to me again. I have somewhat been leeping up with it. But now am looking to do some stuff with iron palm and asked him to teach me well he said it was more of an advanced thing and could only teach me if i was there for a couple of years but with me being out at job corps i just wont work out.

I guess from that experience stems some of my philosophy, like you dont need a teacher once you reach a certain stage. And that it does not matter what you do on the external as long as you combine your breathing with your movements it will do things with chi.

You can learn from DVD even doctors and people in different fields use computers and video confrencing, look at KAP students they getting results from santiago's online learning. It depends on if the person is after a method that suites them all Iron Palm has one thing in common usually and its conditioning of some sort. If you follow instructions and be truthful in yourself and training hold no doubt what you learn will manifest. You can have a teacher in front of you and if you have no faith or doubt any of the teachings it doesnt matter you will never attain a high level skill.

If you do look for something on dvd or via correspondance and find a teacher willing to share the methods and complete system then there is nothing wrong with video/dvd/book correspondance with your teacher. I know it works....

Ape

Greetings..

Without the qualified observer to make the corrections the student can't see or feel, the likelihood is that the student will do more damage than learn a complex and powerful system.. in this instance, it would be arrogant and egotistical to believe you can actually 'get it' from books or videos.. imagine doing 200 strikes per surface, per day, per hand.. and, making even one mistake, practicing it continuously for 100 days.. and, the chances are that the student will make many mistakes.. it's a very precise system.. don't deceive yourself..

Be well..

I would say it depends.

It depends on the quality and detail of instruction from the teacher and the ability to remain in contact and ask questions.

and

It depends on the prior experience, natural ability, and Wu (wuxing - 悟性) of the student.

Personally, based on my background and exposure, I believe I would have no problem learning in this manner if the material is presented well.

This may not be the case with others.

Edited by Baguakid

Well I have done my research on the internet and learned how to hit the bag filled with beans for the first year. I was wondering if anyone knew of a dit da jow that was for sale that did not have alcohol in it?

External Iron Palm can be taught via DVD if you pay attention to what is taught and more importantly your own body. You can start out on beans or go straight to steel but obviously the amount of hits are going to be drastically different. You need jow for sure. Qigong is great to use as well and any basic qigong will work in the beginning but as you progress to more difficult breaks then you need to find a better qigong system.

I've practiced iron palm with a teacher.

I would not recommend trying it without a teacher unless you have an extensive background in martial arts and some knowledge of TCM.

Even then I believe you are risking injury to try and learn this art from a book or video.

Just my $.02.

Most IRON PALM teachers will tell there student to either make the bag or hanging bag filled with the material that there system uses to strength and condition the bag and to be trained at home or also at the school. Therefore at home is where you can really get into your training, you learn from your teacher or a proper DVD on iron palm that teaches you step by step with all the good and bad things of the method. What not to do and what to do properly!

True kung fu development isnt at the school its at your own time to work it out and develop, yes a teacher can help but this day and age we have webcam, skype, youtube, videos, dvds, pics and with proper english and down to earth information you can train and develop at your own leasure in your own home where true development happens. Schools you learn and then you gotta go home and train your ass off so when you get your next lesson from Sifu he knows you been training and understanding what was taught in the past lessons.

Ape :rolleyes:

Ok in doing some research over the interwebs i have found out about a cotton palm where you hit a bag filled with cotton to strengthen your QI your not useing physical force but QI. Anyone have any info on how one would do this, I get the slapping of the bag but beyond that I am lost?

Cotton Palm is internal type Iron Palm, Its part of any good iron palm system. My arts have Cotton Palm within the both Iron Palm and Burning Palm and there is many reasons why cotton is used but you should start off wth striking harder bags then go softer.

Good luck on your search, many out there becareful and train smart!

Ape

SO you would recomend hitting a bag full of beans and then moving on to cotton? Also is any qigong good to do with this or should it be a certain one?

Edited by mewtwo

Hi,

Ok, there is Iron Palm that uses no chi kung, or healing meditations and there is Iron Palm that does use chi kung and healing. I would recondmend going for a complete system. I cant speak for others I know my Burning Palm is a complete system of developing the hands but has its own healing system, fighting system (theories and methods), issuing power (in this case springy force), seated and standing meditations, visualizations etc.

http://burningpalm.webs.com/index.html Here is what my system contains, so you get an outline of how involved this type of training is!

Depends on what you want and how much time you have to invest, you can smash your hands up on bags but I wouldnt do it without what I mentioned above IMHO.

Plus, each different system develops there internal energy differently and power development!

Cotton palm, burning palm, iron palm, steel hand etc all develop energy differently the striking on bags may look similar but the way you strike, your intent, your meditations and chi kung to develop the type of iron palm energy is the key.

Regards

Ape

Many Iron Palm dvds out there its basically up to you choose if a system of Iron Palm can lead you to more spiritual and healthy life.

Thank you Just one more question, Is there a way i could do all this internaly and not hit my hands against anything but just like put chi into the part i want and have it become as hard as steal?

I have a theory as to how one would do this I want to see if my theory holds up. One would do qigong to pack qi into the dan tien and then once suficient chi was built up into the dan tien one would direct all of it into the hand or what ever they were trying to protect and there hand or whatever would be hard as steel.

Yeah, i agree with bagua Kid, you seen to be confused about what Iron Palm is untill then maybe find a teacher or read up more on it or contact a teacher via phone or email etc.

Dan Tian work is part of any internal methods including Iron Palm, imagine Ironpalm and dan tian/s cultivated that is what its about not just hitting your hands on some bags.

If not try your own methods, what do you study internally at present?

Ape

Well i study qigong at the moment used to do taichi and other internal martial arts but chose to only do qigong cause i have become really busy.

Conditioning the hands in the proper way will help you for healing as it should sensitise the hands not deaden them as well keep them strong and powerful for self defence.

Ill post up when my DVD will be out maybe you can try it out if you dont find any others to your liking?

be well

Ape