Flynn

Sufism

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to hear what you know/think about sufi mysticism. I've only studied it a bit, and that's all been in the context of middle eastern history classes. I'd like to know to what extent and in what form it exists today, as it seems like a very intriguing type of practice. Have any of you ever been personally involved in sufism to any extent?

Flynn

Hi,

A close friend of mine was a member of this order:

Nimatullahi

Dr. Nurbakhsh who died last year was one of the most impressive people I have met. He wrote several books which explain Sufi practice and he also wrote beautiful poetry.

A7.

PS. watch the video on the site of his last interview (he was ill but its still really interesting). :)

Edited by apepch7

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to hear what you know/think about sufi mysticism. I've only studied it a bit, and that's all been in the context of middle eastern history classes. I'd like to know to what extent and in what form it exists today, as it seems like a very intriguing type of practice. Have any of you ever been personally involved in sufism to any extent?

Flynn

nurmuhammad.com

Well since this is taobums this was posted on my blog today so I'll pass it on:

The Doctrine of Sluk: Its Chinese Origins, p. 43

The author explains the process of becoming imnmortal. Haha...

http://books.google.de/books?id=zw57vdEnyh...;q=&f=false

Am J Chin Med. 1990;18(3-4):185-96.

The Sufi, his headdress and its significance.

Mahdihassan S.

Etymologically Sufi, as an Arabic word, means woolen-clad. This is unsuitable in designating a devotee who tries to have union with God. When the word is taken to Chinese it means (my) master-and-father, my Guru. There are at least nine more words used in addressing the Sufi or speaking of him, all of Chinese origin. This leaves no word specially used for the sufi which is not derived from Chinese. Next comes a rite special to the sufis, it is whirling-dancing. It has no precedence in traditional Islam. On the contrary "Dancing in ancient China was a powerful means of seeking divine will, and producing ecstasy for calling down spirits from the invisible word." Thus sufism would be an adaptation from Chinese Shamanism. The headdress, rather than the dress covering the body, is special to the sufis; it is a long hat made to resemble the male generative organ. In ancient times this organ was sanctified and, as sacred object, its emblem formed the headdress of male and female deities. Even sages were buried with emblem of the male organ on their heads. The earlier form of Hindu Trinity was called Trai-Linga-Ishwara, where Linga literally means the male organ but semantically connotes creative power. To understand creation man had projected Birth as Creation when the male organ of reproduction was sublimated as power of creation. The prehistoric word was Chhiu, meaning phallus. This was pronounced as Shiu or Shew and later became Shiva, who was Phallus-god. In Greece Hermes was Phallus-god. With Shiva there was the Trinity Trai-Linga-Ishwara; Hermes was correspondingly called Tris-Majestis. The headdress, originally formed to resemble the male organ of reproduction underwent modifications. It grew in length while the top, from being round became flat. In this form it could be used without a cloth wrapped round to support it on the head. This was again unique and used only by the Sufis. Its past took it to the emblem of male generative organ but in all stages represented creative power.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1702924

Hi everyone,

Flynn

When I met Seals & Crofts- the 70's singing duo, they were very devout Sufis and opened me up to their philosophy. I believe it to be the best hope for Islam to reach the next Millenium bathed in light! The Sufis I've met were wonderful folks!

love to all- Pat

When I met Seals & Crofts- the 70's singing duo, they were very devout Sufis and opened me up to their philosophy. I believe it to be the best hope for Islam to reach the next Millenium bathed in light! The Sufis I've met were wonderful folks!

love to all- Pat

Wow, I love Seals and Crofts and have always found their music and lyrics very deep and spiritual.

Very cool that you met them. And nice to see you posting on tb Pat, I haven't seen any of your posts for a long time. I always enjoyed your take on things.

I think what you will find when researching Sufism, is that the term really is a broad one, and that there is a great amount of difference in practices depending on the school or sect.

Strictly speaking any Sufi practice which strays or deviates from the established Islamic law, is outside the bounds of Islam, and is generally considered as kufr or sinful practice. There are sects of Sufi which are within the bounds of Islam, and there are Sufi sects which resemble more Hindu practices for example and are ostracized for their pagan influence.