sean

Big Forum Upgrade

Been slacking on this upgrade for awhile and I decided to just throw it together this evening. There is another layer of upgrades to be done still and I'm not finished with the template. Some cool new features in this update. I'm sure there will be glitches so please let me know if you see anything awry ...

Bedtime,

Sean

:wacko:

Hey Bro,

Looks cool. But..I am not seeing a place to click on Forum at the top. It goes Blogs, Gallery, Live Chat, Help, Search, Members, Calendar.

Nowhere to click forum..don't know if it's just me.

I mean you can just click on thetaobums banner at the top but just in case you still wanted to have a specific forum click on thingy.

Of course, you are the web guru so maybe you are trying to get people to think?

You know not for me but I don't want people like Yoda or Lozen getting confused.

Edited by Cameron

I was weirded out by it, too...

Actually, I prefer multi-color...perhaps rainbow....ah, well.

A tye-dyed one would be rockin'.

Or a firey-watery kinda yin-yangin' theme supremo.

Err...I must need sleep.

The black is supposed to be dark dark blue. I'm going to make it a nice gradient soon and it's just for Winter. :)

Hi Sean,

on my computer only a quite narrow middle section is visible, left and right are black collumns. Makes me feel a bit claustrophobic...

affenbrot

p.s. also couldn't click clickable smiles

Yes, for me too - 20.5 mm of middle section on a 34 mm wide screen = I feel squished.

Chris

Hi Sean,

on my computer only a quite narrow middle section is visible, left and right are black collumns. Makes me feel a bit claustrophobic...

affenbrot

p.s. also couldn't click clickable smiles

I went to a fixed 750 pixel wide layout for some technical reasons ... I'm still hammering on it and there are some changes to come ... I think it will feel good soon. Do you guys hate it?

also couldn't click clickable smiles

What platform and browser are you on affenbrot?

Thanks,

Sean

I think the dark sides are a little opressive, in that it seems to be squashing the info in. I think when the sides are a dark blue and maybe with a small border around the main info in the center there will be a little more room to breathe and it should feel better.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, my aim was for it to feel like the forum was emerging from the void, not being squished by darkness. Ack. :blink:

The black backround sucks IMO.

I would prefer a lighter backround but Blue would be nicer.

So are you going for the color of the seasons? Winter/Black/Blue, Spring/Green, Summer/Red, Fall/White?

Cool idea if you can get the blue going.

C

The black backround sucks IMO.

I would prefer a lighter backround but Blue would be nicer.

So are you going for the color of the seasons? Winter/Black/Blue, Spring/Green, Summer/Red, Fall/White?

Cool idea if you can get the blue going.

C

I hadn't really thought that far ahead. During the winter I usually get in touch with my shadow spontaneously ... darker stuff comes up and it tends to reflect in my aesthetic ... darker clothes, hair, music ... I just felt like going dark on TTB for the winter but if it's really disturbing people I'll change it.

It's like 75 degrees outside so it's hard for me to relate to the whole winter thing :)

It's not that big a deal but I personally would vote for the blue over the black yes.

Edited by Cameron

It's like 75 degrees outside so it's hard for me to relate to the whole winter thing :)

It's not that big a deal but I personally would vote for the blue over the black yes.

Cameron, how about black and blue? You know ... like your face is going to look after I roundhouse kick it!!!

:lol:

Oh you better work on mastering " The Twister" because you are going to need all the skillz you can get to ward off my takedown into side control!

*does gentle Intu Flow knee rotations with right fist clenched*

Oh you better work on mastering " The Twister" because you are going to need all the skillz you can get to ward off my takedown into side control!

*does gentle Intu Flow knee rotations with right fist clenched*

Oh shit, we're doing take downs? :unsure:

I've only been drilling Rubber Guard submissions. The first two. I really like the second one ... Rubber Guard to Omplata.

Do you guys hate it?

What platform and browser are you on affenbrot?

Thanks,

Sean

yes, so far I hate it...! In the moment the layout makes me feel like I want to get out of taobums as quickly as possible after reading the new posts!

I'm surfing on my ancient Apple (MacOS 9 with Msoft Expl. 5).

This constellation does not work properly on a lot of sites, so never mind! :-|

but thanks in any case for putting so much effort in this site!

greetings,

affenbrot

..In the moment the layout makes me feel like I want to get out of taobums as quickly as possible after reading the new posts!

Maybe that's a great thing Affenbrot?! ;) Less idling, more cultivating! I could sure need that myself! :rolleyes:

Re: the new format, I think its nice.. I Prefer this narrowed down format layout over the old broad lines as they are harder to read. The black void is all cool with me also..

Anyway Sean, Keep it up! :)

Oh shit, we're doing take downs? :unsure:

I've only been drilling Rubber Guard submissions. The first two. I really like the second one ... Rubber Guard to Omplata.

Oh yeah...haha..

* has momentary flashback of injuring knee and 3 months of inactivity from doing Omaplata incorrectly*

Better. And interesting how things load piece-wise: background, then banner and then forum. But, for me the forum is still a little bit too narrow for the "effect". For me it still feels like the forum is squished, a bit wider and I'd have the sense that it is floating.

Background a little better now? :unsure:

Better. And interesting how things load piece-wise: background, then banner and then forum. But, for me the forum is still a little bit too narrow for the "effect". For me it still feels like the forum is squished, a bit wider and I'd have the sense that it is floating.

The problem with making a template fixed width is that you have to consider worse case scenario with people's displays. It's at 750px which is a safe, standard fixed width. On a smaller display with lower resolution this forum could be taking up the whole screen. It's a balance between hoping it doesn't look too squished for some people, and hoping that it isn't so big that some people have to use the side-to-side scroll which sucks even worse. I'll be making some other changes that I think will help it look less squished though.

I don't want to dis your design bro I work with interiror designers all day and your a computer designer so respect the artist aspect to it.

But I think the old look was better myself. If it's just me don't worry no big deal. Maybe you could put up an anonymous poll on the main discussion what backround color to use?

I think just about any color would be better than black for this type of board myself. Maybe a little black dashes here and there with the red but all this black with a little red and white is a bit overwhelming.

Again, I work with people who make there living talking about colors going together and spending big money for little things that make it more aesthetically pleasing if no one else cares I'll just learn to accept your brave missuse of color.

Edited by Cameron