zazaza

If an animal is dying and we don't know for sure if it's in strong physical pain

If an animal is dying and we don't know for sure if it's in strong physical pain

and we don't know for sure if it would like to be put out of it's misery, what should we do?

and we don't know for sure if it would like to be put out of it's misery, what should we do?

Perhaps a good place to begin would be to know what it is about the condition/s that

one is sure of..

Chuang Tzu would say, I am sure, "Let things run their natural course."

Peace & Love!

Chuang Tzu would say, I am sure, "Let things run their natural course."

Peace & Love!

in that sense, we should let parents abuse their kids too?

if the animal is obviously suffering, i think we should put it out of it's misery in the least painful way.

i might be wrong :mellow:

Edited by zazaza

in that sense, we should let parents abuse their kids too?

if the animal is obviously suffering, i think we should put it out of it's misery in the least painful way.

i might be wrong :mellow:

Okay. Let's get personal. Hehehe.

Parents abusing their kids is not normal and I would even suggest not natural. The parents have a problem that needs attending to.

Personally, if I had indications that the animal was suffering because of an uncurable problem then yes, I would put it to sleep.

No, you are not wrong, in my opinion.

But consider if you will, the reason I made my initial post was to bring to light that just because something or some one has pain, as a result of old age, for example, is not reason to end its life. And your initial post did suggest that we didn't know if it was in extreme pain.

Peace & Love!

Personally, I think it's a case by case basis. I could be completely wrong here and I am not trying to assume any kind of power over life and death, but unfortunately we are put in a position to decide when a loved animal fellow's time has come.

I have had two cats pass away within the past two years. The first cat recieved a shot, that quickened it's death and the second one went on it's own terms.

In my judgement I found it best for the animal to go naturally, even if there was some pain involved. The reason is that giving a lethal shot is anything but pretty and definitely not without agony for the animal. It's a death that comes sudden and from behind and leaves terror in their faces when it comes. That I have wanted to avoid.

The second time around my cat was obviously having string discomfort from her ailment and death was coming for sure. Yet I simply let her be and stayed with her the whole night. In the morning death came with peace. Yes, she experienced pain. But I did not see the shock I saw the first time around.

However I must add that the first cat was about to suffocate from her ailment, so I found it to be better to give her the lethal shot, since suffocating must be one of the worst ways to die. I still saw the confusion and fear in her face when the shot started to act.

At the time, it seemed to me that I saw the spirit of the first cat eject into freedom. That gave me peace.

The second cat appeared to to speak to me one week before she died, telling me that we will meet again. Time will tell.

I could have imagined all of the above, my mind trying to comfort me, however.

You take the animal you love into your arms.

You sit with him or her in silence until he/she tells you what to do with respect to the ending of his or her life.

It can take a long time.

So you're just there and then you may or may not do anything else.

I would write more but it's making me cry.

And your initial post did suggest that we didn't know if it was in extreme pain.

i see, sorry for that.

this thread wasn't even meant to be made.

i typed that first post really fast,

thought i had closed the window but apparently i have created this thread :huh:

You take the animal you love into your arms.

You sit with him or her in silence until he/she tells you what to do with respect to the ending of his or her life.

It can take a long time.

So you're just there and then you may or may not do anything else.

I would write more but it's making me cry.

Wow you are very sensitive. I bet you are a great healer... probably empathic I bet.

i see, sorry for that.

this thread wasn't even meant to be made.

i typed that first post really fast,

thought i had closed the window but apparently i have created this thread :huh:

Hi Zazaza,

No problem. But the subject is of interest to some folks as you can see there are a number of people responding to it.

Any decisions we make in life are subjects worthy of Taoist discussion.

Peace & Love!

I would put it to sleep. Also if a family member of mine were in pain and I knew it to be their wish I would help them for fill it.

There is nothing wrong in a humane crossing over.