Sign in to follow this  
Hyrdo

(question)Meditation, loss of ego,unconditioning

I want to loose my idea of self/ego from my subconscious and also loose alot of conditioning that iv inevitably gathered from birth till now. I figure meditation would be a really good tool for this but hardly know anything about it. Iv seen several post about meditation but none seem to touch on this topic(tryed tao google search too). So ye, if someone knows a good (preferably simple) meditation exercise for this plz share. However if someone has somthing els to help with this goal thats more than welcome too. and i think thats it.

p.s. think it was alan watts that said somthin like "ego dosnt exist ,yet its hard to get rid of" or somthin like that heh

I want to loose my idea of self/ego from my subconscious and also loose alot of conditioning that iv inevitably gathered from birth till now. I figure meditation would be a really good tool for this but hardly know anything about it. Iv seen several post about meditation but none seem to touch on this topic(tryed tao google search too). So ye, if someone knows a good (preferably simple) meditation exercise for this plz share. However if someone has somthing els to help with this goal thats more than welcome too. and i think thats it.

p.s. think it was alan watts that said somthin like "ego dosnt exist ,yet its hard to get rid of" or somthin like that heh

I've gotten some good results in loosening up my tight ego

through the advice of Nisargadatta Maharaj.

Click to read nisargadatta's book for free (not 100% complete book but it contains everything that is already in the book. in the book, he keeps repeating himself over and over again because it's not actually a book he has written... they are recordings of talks that have been written down. That link contains the essence of nisargadattas teaching and it has arranged the content much more properly than in the real book.)

It won't hurt to study and practice some zen or vipassana as well.

Yesterday I have put some information about how to get rid of the ego in the post below:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry161507

In yoga they talk about "the Self" in buddhism they talk about "no self",

but i believe both states are very much like eachother - just a different terminology that is used.

In both states, people get free from suffering... so they "lose the ego" so to speak.

Edited by zazaza

I have only read a few sentences from the book you linked but wanted to go ahead and reply. First, thx for the reply. I found the emptiness meditation you were talking about in the other post interesting, and am definitely gonna try a bit of that. Also the book already looks promising. Did want to mention that at one point i really wanted to reflect (mainly on Confucianism) under the influence of acid(would be my first time). This was before i had discovered taoism and my friend had some good stuff he had already tryed. I used to smoke bud alot and think and it really enjoyed that. I mention all this cuzz youv peaked my intrest in it again talking about the egodeath lol. Anyways, mainly wanted t say thx for reply

o ye, p.s. what is all this talk of non duality, like the site you linked is called nonduality.com and i dont understand because we live in a duality universe . Maby its like saying there isnt really a good and bad just a this and that? Thats the only thing i can figure.

Edited by Hyrdo

The ego is a man-made construct. In many ways, meditation and contemplation will lead one to

the awareness of all the "Props" we all use to sustain this ego. The most subtle of these "Props"

are none other than our thoughts.

Here is some of the best advise I've heard on beginning meditation from Daniel Odier.

" ..., take a simple object like a stone or a piece of wood, place it in front of you, gently focus on the object without blinking, allow nothing else to take hold of your mind, and gradually become totally present in a natural and relaxed manner. Look at everything which occurs to you without holding on to it, and gradually you will become peaceful. Everything which rises up will subside of its own accord, without any forcing on your part. Soon you will not be able to leave this non-conceptual state, and you will no longer want to move. This is a sign that you are becoming more familiar with the state of becoming peaceful, and you will reach a state of spontaneity.

This teaching, given as it was to a complete novice, was vitally important to me, and I have since never come across anything as simple and as profound. Even now I practice and teach in this way."

Blessings.

Okay. I feel a need to speak.

We need our ego. Don't try to destroy it. Ego is what drive the instinct of self-preservation (survival).

However, yes, in meditation we ignore the ego so that we can realize our connectedness with all else.

Please be careful with your ego. Yes, reduce its influence so that you can be more giving of yourself to others but don't allow yourself to become a pansy for others. (And yes, others will take advantage of you if you do not respect yourself.)

Take really good care of the ego you have but don't allow it to cause you to believe that you are more than what you truely are.

Peace & Love!

OMG this "watcher" is loving the hell out of

nisargadatta's book.

Here is some of the best advise I've heard on beginning meditation from Daniel Odier.

" ..., take a simple object like a stone or a piece of wood, place it in front of you, gently focus on the object without blinking, allow nothing else to take hold of your mind, and gradually become totally present in a natural and relaxed manner. Look at everything which occurs to you without holding on to it, and gradually you will become peaceful. Everything which rises up will subside of its own accord, without any forcing on your part. Soon you will not be able to leave this non-conceptual state, and you will no longer want to move. This is a sign that you are becoming more familiar with the state of becoming peaceful, and you will reach a state of spontaneity.

This teaching, given as it was to a complete novice, was vitally important to me, and I have since never come across anything as simple and as profound. Even now I practice and teach in this way."

Blessings.

I will definitly try that, thx for reply

The ego is a man-made construct. In many ways, meditation and contemplation will lead one to

the awareness of all the "Props" we all use to sustain this ego. The most subtle of these "Props"

are none other than our thoughts.

Well said.

For something truly radical in perspective consider that which is called the ego is something that is created by the time we are two years old whose sole purpose is the survival of the organism. It helps keep us alive by protecting us from change. Who wants their lives and decisions made by a two year old baby's influence but yet that's what 99% of the people do. It's evidence is all around us.

Rather than destroy, transform and retrain. Be gentle with your self. This will allow the Self to emerge more and more.

Just an experiment.

Speaking from only my own experiences.

Rather than destroy, transform and retrain. Be gentle with your self. This will allow the Self to emerge more and more.

Sounds like ggod advice to me. I think there is a lot of confusion about this stuff. You do not as much destroy the ego as see through it and then loosen its grip on you and retrain it to serve higher aspects of yourself. Any sort of feeling of attacking yourself or your ego will also be very counterproductive IMO. In reality it can easily just become self hatred and denial camuflaged as spiritual.

There are a couple of good resources for sorting out what one actually wants to do with the ego and how the personality and psychology fit together with enlightenment etc. JAck Kornfileds book a Wise Heart - Budhist psychology for the west goes in depth on the buddhist perspective on these things and although slightly differently worded then in taoism I believe the basic understanding of this relationship is the same.

Shinzen Young also has some excellent articles on his homepage and some lectures that you can get hold of that goes into these things with exceptional clarity.

Daniel Ingram also deals with the realtionship between ego and enlightenment in is free ebook. THat book is a masterpiece on how to do vipassana/insight meditation and has some extremely useful discusiions about what exactly enlightenment is.

Jack Kornfields book a path with heart is also an excellent book to read for an overview of spiritaul life and how to manage it well.

Well said.

For something truly radical in perspective consider that which is called the ego is something that is created by the time we are two years old whose sole purpose is the survival of the organism. It helps keep us alive by protecting us from change. Who wants their lives and decisions made by a two year old baby's influence but yet that's what 99% of the people do. It's evidence is all around us.

Just an experiment.

Speaking from only my own experiences.

For one who assumes the role of a spiritual wayfarer, all things are seen with 'new' eyes -

therefore, in a sense, every unfolding can be labelled 'radical'. Its a good way to be,

because it forces one to focus in the present moment, the only wonderful moment, rather

than swinging from the brittle branches of the past or from the silken threads of the future.

Gentleness is a nurturing gift. Nurture this precious gift gently...

Thank you for the reply. :)

My 2 cents,

Destroying the ego likely means realizing that there is no real "ego" in the first place. "I" actively destroying another "I" is...well..that creates a cyclical transition of ego.

And,

You need it, or rather, it's useful to have it in your vocabulary. Like the word "of," it's an important tool for formulating coherent sentences, but is without much meaning to itself. Like a filer, but a needed one.

CowTao i liked both videos you linked especially the Steve Armstrong one. The other one had a link to "Where Science and Buddhism Meet" and atm im half way threw the second part and its talkin a bunch about quantum mechanics. ummm yeah, anyway heres link if anyone wants

p.s. thx everyone for replys

edit: now i remember what i was gonna say, seems to me that if alot of quantum mechanics is true its kinda a scary thought in a way cuzz it says that everyone's perceptions creates the world around us and we all know how crazy everyones perceptions are now days.

Edited by Hyrdo

CowTao i liked both videos you linked especially the Steve Armstrong one. The other one had a link to "Where Science and Buddhism Meet" and atm im half way threw the second part and its talkin a bunch about quantum mechanics. ummm yeah, anyway heres link if anyone wants

p.s. thx everyone for replys

edit: now i remember what i was gonna say, seems to me that if alot of quantum mechanics is true its kinda a scary thought in a way cuzz it says that everyone's perceptions creates the world around us and we all know how crazy everyones perceptions are now days.

You are very welcome H :)

Just a note about that interesting point you raised about how everyone's perceptions create the world..

This is the main reason why the understanding and practice of "Compassion" is so central to

all the Buddhist traditions. Without this pillar, it is very easy for one to lose the focus - especially

nowadays where there is such a global energy shift happening!

Almost every corner we turn someone is offering 'mind/body/spirit tuning' of some sort. Unfortunately,

for many who have tapped into these kind of fringe practices and have gained a little bit of 'shift',

it makes them feel as if they have been given a license to act crazy without having to be accountable

to nobody. So i think its quite detrimental in some ways because it creates a lot of vanity in those that

have managed to see a bit of progress, and for those who try and try yet not able to taste any 'juice',

they become disappointed and resort to more drastic and twisted practices just to taste the power that

others so talk about. This gives birth to a very hazardous cycle of events i am afraid to say. In another

thread, Vajrasattva mentioned about the similarities between 'playing' with energy and handling a razor,

so it would be good to take heed.

But on the Buddhist/Taoist path, where there is a major focus on Compassion, there seems to be less

cases of people who abuse their realizations and misuse the gifts that may be given them after years of

cultivation. For these people, the fruits of the path are generously and freely shared with others,

because it is in the sharing that true happiness begin to blossom. This may be one positive way to

address the craziness, or at the very least, it plays a part to help keep the shift in some sort of balance.

Just some thoughts...

All the best! :)

Sign in to follow this