Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

Bad Breath From Tea? Especially Green Tea?

Green Tea produces acid in your stomach, hence the bad breath?

Is this true?

Thanks!

Actually it's kind of supposed to have the opposite effect.

Putting green tea leaves in your smelly shoes gets rid of the smell. Not sure you wanna do that, it may be expensive where you are.

It's got some mad caffeine levels though, seems to depend on the person. Keeps me up all night.

Don't think I ever met a stinky breath green tea drinker in answer to the question.

edit/ps: When I came online this is what I saw 'Bad breath from tea..... especially leonBasin'. :D:lol:

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Green Tea produces acid in your stomach, hence the bad breath?

Is this true?

Thanks!

NoWayMan. Uh-uh. Green tea has a hygienic effect all away around. It has an alkalizing effect on your bloodstream, and stomach, but too much in the morning can leave an empty stomach sour.

NoWayMan. Uh-uh. Green tea has a hygienic effect all away around. It has an alkalizing effect on your bloodstream, and stomach, but too much in the morning can leave an empty stomach sour.

Ahh, that's what it is then! I am drinking green tea in the morning.

I feel that my breath smells, so I had to ask.

What can I replace green tea with?

I was thinking juices, but it has so much sugar, that will definitely not be a good way to go.

Water?

Thank you both!

I was thinking juices, but it has so much sugar, that will definitely not be a good way to go.

Water?

Thank you both!

Try adding one or two fresh mint leaves into your green tea!! :)

Try adding one or two fresh mint leaves into your green tea!! :)

AND... try to keep this kind of threads (bad breath, warts, hemmorhoids etc) out of the Taoist Discussion :lol:

Thank you! Interesting. :)

Where can I purchase them?

Maybe from Whole Foods.

Try the bigger veg retailers - most would stock a good supply of herbs.

breath never bad but makes my mouth feel dry after drinking it for some reason

Edited by sinno

Water?

Thank you both!

What happens if you try to dilute the normal amount of green tea with more water?

Edited by lino

What happens if you try to dilute the normal amount of green tea with more water?

Well, I don't usually put to much green tea, but I'm going to try that. I think it's acid in the tea?

I have been drinking black tea as well; that might be the cause of bad breath too?

Well, I don't usually put to much green tea, but I'm going to try that. I think it's acid in the tea?

I have been drinking black tea as well; that might be the cause of bad breath too?

I don't know if it (green tea or black tea) might be causing the bad breath.

I'm thinking that it maybe pollution just leaving the body and it may go away after a little while

since the teas are supposed to cleanse the body.

If your tea is acidic you're steeping it too long. With green tea I wouldn't steep it more than 2 minutes, or you're going to get some serious tannic acid. Black teas can go for 4 minutes.

Also, what kind of tea are you using? Something in a bag? If so, get the best you can... still, I'd suggest brewing loose teas over anything in a bag.

If your tea is acidic you're steeping it too long. With green tea I wouldn't steep it more than 2 minutes, or you're going to get some serious tannic acid. Black teas can go for 4 minutes.

Also, what kind of tea are you using? Something in a bag? If so, get the best you can... still, I'd suggest brewing loose teas over anything in a bag.

Yea, I use the bag or I use the leafs. It depends on the day/time/how busy...

I also brew in this kettle that brews in about 5 min?

It heats it like a microwave?

Probably not the best.

Do you suggest I try brewing it in a pot instead?

Thank You!

HMMMMM...

yea im a BIG time green tea drinker... jasmine, regular, mango, acai berry flavored... even black tea! ill have between 3 to 5 cups/bags a day, son!! Cause i used to smoke (alot) and do other REALLY unhealthy things so i figured the green tea would counteract the bad stuff, plus its mmmm-mmm delicious!!!!

and i noticed that when i drink tea on an emply stomach: no good!! Yea i feel kinda queasy and prolly have funky breath

but when i have it with food its all good!! in fact i heard you can swish it around your mouth as a mouth wash... but its prlly not the best mouth wash because it'll turn you teeth yellow...

Yea, I use the bag or I use the leafs. It depends on the day/time/how busy...

I also brew in this kettle that brews in about 5 min?

It heats it like a microwave?

Probably not the best.

Do you suggest I try brewing it in a pot instead?

Thank You!

My preferred method is to boil water in a kettle on a gas heat stove so you get an open flame, which usually takes about 15 minutes, and then steep the tea in a seperate pot from the one you're going to use to pour into your cups. Rarely ever do I use like a mug or something like that for tea. Currently I'm boiling on an electric stove, so it takes a little less time. Also, you want to make sure your water is at the right temperature for the tea you're using. With green teas you usually want it around 120 F, otherwise the tea gets kind of "scorched" and the experience is messed up. So let the water cool for a minute or two after it comes to a boil, then pour it over your leaves/bag.

Also, I highly recommend you give Puer a try. I don't know if you don't like black teas, but man... Puer is a treat. Really earthy and delicious.

This is where I buy pretty much all my loose leaf teas. www.taooftea.com

I also suggest Numi organic for bagged teas.

One last thing, what's your water quality? You want it as pure as possible. From experience, tap water makes a very different and inferior tea to a good spring water.

Edited by Zenshiite

My preferred method is to boil water in a kettle on a gas heat stove so you get an open flame, which usually takes about 15 minutes, and then steep the tea in a seperate pot from the one you're going to use to pour into your cups. Rarely ever do I use like a mug or something like that for tea. Currently I'm boiling on an electric stove, so it takes a little less time. Also, you want to make sure your water is at the right temperature for the tea you're using. With green teas you usually want it around 120 F, otherwise the tea gets kind of "scorched" and the experience is messed up. So let the water cool for a minute or two after it comes to a boil, then pour it over your leaves/bag.

Also, I highly recommend you give Puer a try. I don't know if you don't like black teas, but man... Puer is a treat. Really earthy and delicious.

This is where I buy pretty much all my loose leaf teas. www.taooftea.com

I also suggest Numi organic for bagged teas.

One last thing, what's your water quality? You want it as pure as possible. From experience, tap water makes a very different and inferior tea to a good spring water.

Thank you!

I do have electronic kettle

I wonder if that's bad.

I have a filter for the water.

Let me try the actual kettle on the heat stove.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you!

I do have electronic kettle

I wonder if that's bad.

I have a filter for the water.

Let me try the actual kettle on the heat stove.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I think the biggest issue is the quality of the water rather than how the tea is prepared. I generally just boil the water in an electric kettle and pour it in a teapot right away for black tea and cover it with something so that it cools down slower, or in the case of green tea I let the boiled water sit for a few minutes and then pour it in the teapot. Considering I follow pretty much the same procedure both at home and at work, the tea I make at work tastes worse, because the water, even though filtered, just tastes very flat.

By the way, I thought I remember reading something that suggested that tea is supposed to fix, not cause bad breath (by getting rid of the bacteria on the tongue or something like that).

Sign in to follow this