goldisheavy

What is religion?

IMO religion = the institutionalized belief structure which a society utilizes to convince itself it has the universe all figured out so it can sleep easily at night.

Once upon a time religion was Christianity, creationism, the divine right of kings, etc.

Nowadays its vaccines, the big bang, western medicine, the whig theory of history, progressivism, cultural marxism, capitalism, keynesianism, science, human rights, reductionist materialism, democracy, etc.

Edited by Enishi

IMO religion = the institutionalized belief structure which a society utilizes to convince itself it has the universe all figured out so it can sleep easily at night.

Once upon a time religion was Christianity, creationism, the divine right of kings, etc.

Nowadays its vaccines, the big bang, western medicine, the whig theory of history, progressivism, cultural marxism, capitalism, keynesianism, science, human rights, reductionist materialism, democracy, etc.

I disagree. Religion is defined by infallible dogma. While science has dogmatic aspects, nonetheless, it's not as blatantly dogmatic as religion. Science tolerates at least some modifications to its views, although it certainly does not tolerate well its fundamental assumptions being challenged. But even then, when science doesn't tolerate the challenge, it reacts via snobbish elitism. On the other hand, religion often reacts violently to challenges. So science is still preferable to and different from religion even in its dogmatism.

As bad as reductionist materialism is, if I had to choose between them, I'd rather take the curse of the materialism than the curse of the religion upon myself.

The thing is people frequently confuse science the 'method' with science the 'we KNOW THIS'. The second part is an aspect of human fallibility and just as subject to dogmatic thinking.

The thing is people frequently confuse science the 'method' with science the 'we KNOW THIS'. The second part is an aspect of human fallibility and just as subject to dogmatic thinking.

I agree completely. But even if both things you're comparing are disease you'd better do without, they are still not all the same. For example, I'd much rather have a flu than cancer, if I must have one of them. Not all diseases are of the same severity and not all of them produce equal amounts of suffering. This is why I don't like it when people try to equalize, for example, all forms of dogmatism. While all dogmatism is bad, the cultural influences of some dogmas are far worse in real life day to day practice, than others. To me that's important. Because even though ideally I want to be rid of all dogmas, pragmatically, I want to move to more flexible and more harmless dogmas as an interim solution.

While all dogmatism is bad, the cultural influences of some dogmas are far worse in real life day to day practice, than others. To me that's important. Because even though ideally I want to be rid of all dogmas, pragmatically, I want to move to more flexible and more harmless dogmas as an interim solution.

Haha, quite true!

Greetings..

'Religion' is the 'business' of spirituality.. it is that which interferes with our direct relationship with the 'Source' of all things.. religion is what people turn to when they doubt their own 'truth' it is the 'ritual' of misunderstanding..

Be well..

Greetings..

'Religion' is the 'business' of spirituality.. it is that which interferes with our direct relationship with the 'Source' of all things.. religion is what people turn to when they doubt their own 'truth' it is the 'ritual' of misunderstanding..

Be well..

WoW! You don't hold back on any of your punches, do you? :D:lol::D

Peace & Love!

Greetings..

Be well..

I agree. Religion is the dead, stale, mechanical detachment from true spirituality.

I always thought religion was what led a society, politically and spiritually so.

Regardless there are 60 religious sects in England and only 1 sauce