Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Keris

I was wondering what experiences have with them. i read about them in Magus of Java.

So I came across this video, its pretty interesting.

I just wanted to ask, why does the Keris remain near the sheath? ( at least in this case). Is there a reason for it?

You've seen the John Chang vid? -- at about 5:45 the Kris spirit moves when he creates a yin field to manifest the spirit:

I was wondering what experiences have with them. i read about them in Magus of Java.

So I came across this video, its pretty interesting.

I just wanted to ask, why does the Keris remain near the sheath? ( at least in this case). Is there a reason for it?

Very nice Keris this guy has :)

My oldest keris is about 500 years old and also stands up.

On a flat surface like a table or a shiney wooden floor its easier to, in the beginning, let them lean to the sheath to make em stand up. Afterwords you can take the sheat away.

Apart from that Keris and sheath form a union so dont seperate them to much. That and some Keris are shy hehe.

Cheers !

Very nice Keris this guy has :)

My oldest keris is about 500 years old and also stands up.

On a flat surface like a table or a shiney wooden floor its easier to, in the beginning, let them lean to the sheath to make em stand up. Afterwords you can take the sheat away.

Apart from that Keris and sheath form a union so dont seperate them to much. That and some Keris are shy hehe.

Cheers !

Ahh cool, thank you.

Now I believe they can stand like that, but do they really move on their own though, like with a consciousness of some sort? And do do ever stand up all on their own?

Ahh cool, thank you.

Now I believe they can stand like that, but do they really move on their own though, like with a consciousness of some sort? And do do ever stand up all on their own?

In normal cases the blade itself does not move or stands up on its own.

Edited by minkus

In normal cases they do not move or stand up on there own.

Are there abnormal cases that they do then?

Well I guess what I'm getting at is if things like what I read on the magus of java concerning keris really happen?

EDIT: From your personal experience I'm asking

Edited by That Guy

Well I guess what I'm getting at is if things like what I read on the magus of java concerning keris really happen?

What you read in the Magus of Java concerning Keris really happens yes. They are powerfull sacred weapons. That is if you have a real Keris.

Check out this website, you gonna like it ! http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~dspf/

That site told me all I could want to know about the keris, thank you :)

I am sceptical since I have never come across a real keris, sacred weapon and stuff like that, but I find it interesting nonetheless. If I see one in an antic store maybe I'll get it and find out if its a real keris.

Now my favourite part whilst reading the site had to be this story

"Hang Jebat, a legendary Malay hero, had a keris with holes in the sogogan

that allowed him to see the immediate future when he peered

through the holes."

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Thundercats (it's a cartoon for those who may not know it). In the show the main character has a sword which does more or less that :lol:

"The Eye within growls to warn Lion-O that he or his fellow ThunderCats are in danger, and can also grant him Second Sight [sight Beyond Sight] so that he may see what danger awaits. However, the Sword has no psychic powers in the way that Second Sight will reveal what happened in the past or what will happen in the future - it only reveals what's in the here and now."

(thats how he uses it)

Just a funny observation I made I guess

Edited by That Guy

Ow nice, yeah i remember thundercats from when i was a kid hehe. Didnt know anymore he had this sword until i yust watched the small piece on youtube :)

I own a Keris with the holes also, is 350-400y old. It has a special name but i forgot. The holes come from intense use and century's of ritual bathing and cleansing. Family heirlooms.

Edit: dont yust buy or adopt one, chances are big you gonna regret it. If its a genuine Keris it really has to fit you and you will know :) Some kind of destiny at play you could even say. I dont wonna make it mysterious but thats the way it is, like you find your loved one for example, like that you will find your Keris.

If you have children in the house i wouldnt get one either. Not good for them.

Edited by minkus

Ow nice, yeah i remember thundercats from when i was a kid hehe. Didnt know anymore he had this sword until i yust watched the small piece on youtube :)

I own a Keris with the holes also, is 350-400y old. It has a special name but i forgot. The holes come from intense use and century's of ritual bathing and cleansing. Family heirlooms.

Edit: dont yust buy or adopt one, chances are big you gonna regret it. If its a genuine Keris it really has to fit you and you will know :) Some kind of destiny at play you could even say. I dont wonna make it mysterious but thats the way it is, like you find your loved one for example, like that you will find your Keris.

If you have children in the house i wouldnt get one either. Not good for them.

That keris has lived several more lifetimes than I probably will :lol: (unless I ve been reincarnated loads but just dont know it)

Thanks for the advice, though I probably would still get one should I come across it for a good price :lol: And since I dont think I'll have kids in the house anytime soon all I have to do is take care of myself. Lets hope if I am to have a powerful keris someday, that it will find me soon. :)

Again thanks for all the info

Yes

Dont buy into this b.s guys,So many people have lost money thinking they were getting some fantastic magical weapon :D

In indonesia they call this "Keris Berdiri" This may be a heartbreaker for many, but in reality 99% keris that stand can be put down to perfect balance and practice, not spirits and magical entities - although there are keris with spirits in them of course.

People try for hours to learn how to stand a keris. They usually begin on grass then move up to smoother surfaces. If the keris is well made. Its just the craftmanship,time,effort, of the creator.

This was how it was tested in the old days,no magic or anything. If the keris could stand (usually on the hilt) then it was well made. Then & only then would the specific mantras & other time consuming rituals be performed. Its rare to find magical keris with a mantra hidden inside,as described in the magus nowdays.

BTW... can anybody tell this guy in the video is an amazing bullshit artist ? i sent him a pm months ago & man the crap that came back still has me in stitches.

Regards,

Edited by r.w.smith

I was born in keris country - Malaysia.

Every Malay household has a few kerises lying about, and they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are very precious, while most are not. When i say precious, it means those that have been mastercrafted and blessed either by a Tok Guru (Grandmaster) of Silat, or a bomoh (local shaman). There wasn't a big fuss made about them in any way as far as i can remember. I have never seen one that could 'berdiri' (malay word for stand), nor have i heard anyone going gaga about finding or possessing one.

Personally i think there is a degree of superstition involved. If people want to believe that something has power, or ilmu, or tenaga, and they hold this 'something' with great respect and reverence, over time, that 'something' will be what has been projected onto it. For example, if i pick up a brick and put garlands of flowers, burn incense and chant mantras and do all kinds of pujas around this piece of brick everyday for three years, that brick will for me be an object of worship and reverence, and i will be convinced of its magical powers. Its like this with people, and they do similar projections with anything nowadays, like gurus and stuff. Very self-defeating.

I was born in keris country - Malaysia.

Every Malay household has a few kerises lying about, and they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are very precious, while most are not. When i say precious, it means those that have been mastercrafted and blessed either by a Tok Guru (Grandmaster) of Silat, or a bomoh (local shaman). There wasn't a big fuss made about them in any way as far as i can remember. I have never seen one that could 'berdiri' (malay word for stand), nor have i heard anyone going gaga about finding or possessing one.

Personally i think there is a degree of superstition involved. If people want to believe that something has power, or ilmu, or tenaga, and they hold this 'something' with great respect and reverence, over time, that 'something' will be what has been projected onto it. For example, if i pick up a brick and put garlands of flowers, burn incense and chant mantras and do all kinds of pujas around this piece of brick everyday for three years, that brick will for me be an object of worship and reverence, and i will be convinced of its magical powers. Its like this with people, and they do similar projections with anything nowadays, like gurus and stuff. Very self-defeating.

Well said Cowtao :D

Sign in to follow this