Sign in to follow this  
NeiChuan

The Eight Pieces of Silk Brocade Qigong?

Would it not be wise to practice this without having a teacher guide me through it?

Probably you mean if it would be unwise to practice this without a teacher. :lol:

I think the 8 brocades are pretty simple so you maybe could learn from a book, video for sure.

Eight Pieces of Brocade is a relatively simple and safe set.

It's always better to study with a teacher for many reasons but I don't think it would be unsafe to try it on your own.

Lol pero.. thanks for the correction.

Alright thanks to the both of you, I just figured I'd get multiple opinions.

I agree that this set is basic enough to learn on one's own (although a teacher is always preferable).

This could help you get started:

DVD: Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

It includes both the standing and seated forms, and a bonus 50 minute lecture on them. (I didn't realize that he has upgraded many of his dvds with bonus stuff!). I think he has a book on it too.

If you want to go deeper into it eventually, Stuart Alve Olson has a detailed book on the seated form, based on the writings of the alleged 250 year old Li Ching Yun:

Qigong Teachings of a Taoist Immortal: The Eight Essential Exercises of Master Li Ching-yun

and also a 6 hour dvd workshop on it: Eight Brocades Workshop DVD-Set

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many, many different versions of this set. It's not a bad idea to compare and contrast the various methods you see to try to consider what the original intention might have been for that piece. Good luck with your practice.

I agree that this set is basic enough to learn on one's own (although a teacher is always preferable).

This could help you get started:

DVD: Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

It includes both the standing and seated forms, and a bonus 50 minute lecture on them. (I didn't realize that he has upgraded many of his dvds with bonus stuff!). I think he has a book on it too.

If you want to go deeper into it eventually, Stuart Alve Olson has a detailed book on the seated form, based on the writings of the alleged 250 year old Li Ching Yun:

Qigong Teachings of a Taoist Immortal: The Eight Essential Exercises of Master Li Ching-yun

and also a 6 hour dvd workshop on it: Eight Brocades Workshop DVD-Set

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many, many different versions of this set. It's not a bad idea to compare and contrast the various methods you see to try to consider what the original intention might have been for that piece. Good luck with your practice.

Thanks alot

Sign in to follow this