Sign in to follow this  
TheWhiteRabbit

Review: Jonathan Livington Seagull

I know there is much to be said for this book. It is not very long -in fact it is generally only about 127 pages (original print). Despite being published 35 years ago the story is excellent, covering the passion to push oneself past the limits imposed by materialism and the coercive forces imposed by groups of society. A definate must read. It is a fable in novella form.

It helps us to understand that yes, at times we may feel outcast from society due to some of our beliefs, or even coerced to move with a society group yet being a hermit is not the end nor a constant. Quoting from the learned Jonathan Seagull: "Do you want to fly so much that you will forgive the Flock, and learn, and go back to them one day and work to help them know?" Such important principles of any sprituality apply here as one sees the mirror looking into ones own self and learning the emotional bonds that are holding oneself back.

You will definately like this book, and I guarantee this will be one you read to your children.

I know there is much to be said for this book. It is not very long -in fact it is generally only about 127 pages (original print). Despite being published 35 years ago the story is excellent, covering the passion to push oneself past the limits imposed by materialism and the coercive forces imposed by groups of society. A definate must read. It is a fable in novella form.

It helps us to understand that yes, at times we may feel outcast from society due to some of our beliefs, or even coerced to move with a society group yet being a hermit is not the end nor a constant. Quoting from the learned Jonathan Seagull: "Do you want to fly so much that you will forgive the Flock, and learn, and go back to them one day and work to help them know?" Such important principles of any sprituality apply here as one sees the mirror looking into ones own self and learning the emotional bonds that are holding oneself back.

You will definately like this book, and I guarantee this will be one you read to your children.

Wonderful book :) One of the few novels I really ever read. (three books all together, as fare as I remember)

Sign in to follow this