John Zen

How to find a master?

I am a student in Columbus, Ohio. I don't know where to begin finding a master to help me on my journey. Can someone offer suggestions on how to start?

Real Masters are very rare. I highly recommend Chunyi Lin. The first qigong master I experienced was Effie P. Chow -- she's in San Francisco. I read her "Miracle Healing from China" -- then I read Harvard medical doctor Eisenberg's book where he goes to China to investigate qigong masters. I read a couple other books as well.

Chunyi Lin is a very rare energy master and he has coauthored a qigong chapter with Mayo Clinic Dr. Nisha Manek for the Mayo Clinic Medical Textbook on complementary medicine. He's taught the Mayo Clinic doctors qigong.

AS you can see with this video testimonies he's healed late-term cancer, Parkinsons and much more (paralysis, HIV, M.S., etc.)

http://springforestqigong.com/testimonials.htm

So you can get phone healings or you can take classes in Minnesota. But if you practice diligently on your own his system is very very simple yet very effective.

The foundation for the practice is the "small universe" aka microcosmic orbit. You can get Mantak Chia's first book -- here it is free online. It gives the BEGINNING KUNDALINI experiences from the microcosmic orbit -- not the "REAL" kundalini. haha.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2672168/Mantak-C...through-the-Tao

But the Small Universe c.d. from Chunyi Lin is a VERY effective teaching tool -- he guides you through the practice and it's very helpful.

For the advanced KUNDALINI effects from the Microcosmic orbit small universe you want to study this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=a_olqazEV...;q=&f=false

I am a student in Columbus, Ohio. I don't know where to begin finding a master to help me on my journey. Can someone offer suggestions on how to start?

Thank you. I have bought the Small Universe CD, and am waiting for it to get here. I will check those links out, though I prefer a method of finding a teacher in real life. I can't relocate, so it may be difficult, and I may just have to wait until I can move about freely.

Shinzen young teaches vipassana at a distance through phone and other stuff. Now he REALLY knows his stuff. Read the articels on his webpage. SOme of the best and clearest stuff I have ever read about meditation.

I just got my Master's degree this year, so you can bow down and call me "Master." All that I ask is that you don't refer to me as "Master" in public. "Your Grace" or "Your Eminence" will suffice.

I'm used to being showered with rose petals by a gaggle of screaming virgins as I walk from place to place healing the sick and killing the stupid, but I rather fancy the smell of lavender these days.

Of course, I don't work for free. I have over $40,000 in student loans, but my paypal account is up and running. I accept gold krugerrands and freeze-dried food in lieu of cash. Act quicky. This offer is limited.

Hey that was a great "embrace the horse" vid. Thanks.

I just got my Master's degree this year, so you can bow down and call me "Master." All that I ask is that you don't refer to me as "Master" in public. "Your Grace" or "Your Eminence" will suffice.

I'm used to being showered with rose petals by a gaggle of screaming virgins as I walk from place to place healing the sick and killing the stupid, but I rather fancy the smell of lavender these days.

Of course, I don't work for free. I have over $40,000 in student loans, but my paypal account is up and running. I accept gold krugerrands and freeze-dried food in lieu of cash. Act quicky. This offer is limited.

I thought the teacher was supposed to find you. Never the less, I'm sure there are a multitude of very good tai chi and yoga teachers in Columbus. Find someone close by with a schedule that works for you and just get started. Learn the basics. Once you get going and build up a network of people in your area, fellow students will fill you in on where to find the best systems. For now, my path is yoga. I've yet to walk out of a class not learning something, no matter who was teaching.

I found my healing qigong teacher by striking up a conversation with a Malaysian guy in a Starbucks who was selling shares in a seaweed growing operation. He handed me a qigong guys telephone # and found out the master had moved nearby, and I went directly over, not to learn, but just to ask some questions concerning qi. When I opened the door to his qigong clinic, my body, and particularly my dantien felt like I was in love and full of bliss.

One thing about the teachers that have been born and raised in American consumerist culture, is that they do promote just like anyone else, and they even sell stuff on websites, and that does not make them less attained or willing to teach groovy stuff that can take you to higher. Bodri's meditation expert site is a good example of crass marketing combined with first rate spiritual information products. Max Christensen's Lama Dorje promo video is laughable to many people, but that doesnt change the fact that he is a super highly attained teacher and willing to share teachings and energies.

I only say this due to your comment on the KAP thread, John Zen. People who trash our reptuable homegrown teachers in kneejerk responses is a pet peeve of mine. Good luck on the path, good luck to us all.

One thing about the teachers that have been born and raised in American consumerist culture, is that they do promote just like anyone else, and they even sell stuff on websites,

Not quite, several of the very best and most advanced keep a low profile and are relatively unknown.

www.nqa.org has a list of qigong teachers.

I've had students from your area that drive to the workshops when I teach in Indiana.

What I really wish I had a master for is Tai Chi; I've always had the feeling that Qigong would come to me far more eloquently if before hand I had balance, root, and a strength of body to do any needed task (which is asking for MUCH more than you consider before you physically do it). Tai Chi interested me before even meditation had gotten its grasp.

Unfortunately, trying to do even the beginning of the Yang Short Form without a teacher is extremely difficult, because at the same time as I am trying to remember the 'steps' I am fully aware my body is unbalanced, which often makes me inadvertently tense- not to mention that I constantly try to look down to see if my feet are in the right position.

Oh, and the Mrs. Hooton, who is explaining the steps, doesn't explain breathing within the steps well. Tbh, on a bunch of steps she skips the breathing directions completely. Shouldn't certain actions occur on an inhale, and certain other actions on an exhale, or something like that?

GRR!

Also, I upset myself because I tire out quickly, and though I've found that pain is not my enemy, I inevitably seem to fall to my long-held 'Pain! Dislike! Stop!' conditioning. A master could tell me to shut the hell up and keep going.

Edited by Capital

A master could tell me to shut the hell up and keep going.

Or if they're very traditional may not accept you until you've done that your self.

I've seen this in classifieds recently:

"A free person seeking to become a slave. I'm looking for kind and merciful masters, 3 square meals a day, a roof over my head, a reliable and stable household. These are the conditions for my enslavement and I will accept nothing less. All masters who fit the criteria, please kindly reply."

Yes, learning tai chi from a dvd or YouTube would be very challenging indeed. These tools are better as supplements to live instruction. Regarding your comments about breathing below, none of the tai chi teachers I have had taught the breathing at the beginner's level, and instead focused on learning the movements. On the other hand, if you learn simpler qigong forms first, many of these will give the general breathing patterns (there are exceptions of course, as in everything) which can be applied to the tai chi movements.

There are several Yang short forms: the Chen Man Ching 37, Simplied 24, Competition 40, etc. There is a teacher William Phillips, that has a downloadable video:

Tai Chi Breathing: The Inhales and Exhales of the Cheng Man Ching 37 Posture Form

Even if you don't do this particular form, the basic concepts might be applicable to what you are doing.

Finally, I would add that there is a difference between pain and effort. Think about that...and good luck with your training.

What I really wish I had a master for is Tai Chi; I've always had the feeling that Qigong would come to me far more eloquently if before hand I had balance, root, and a strength of body to do any needed task (which is asking for MUCH more than you consider before you physically do it). Tai Chi interested me before even meditation had gotten its grasp.

Unfortunately, trying to do even the beginning of the Yang Short Form without a teacher is extremely difficult, because at the same time as I am trying to remember the 'steps' I am fully aware my body is unbalanced, which often makes me inadvertently tense- not to mention that I constantly try to look down to see if my feet are in the right position.

Oh, and the Mrs. Hooton, who is explaining the steps, doesn't explain breathing within the steps well. Tbh, on a bunch of steps she skips the breathing directions completely. Shouldn't certain actions occur on an inhale, and certain other actions on an exhale, or something like that?

GRR!

Also, I upset myself because I tire out quickly, and though I've found that pain is not my enemy, I inevitably seem to fall to my long-held 'Pain! Dislike! Stop!' conditioning. A master could tell me to shut the hell up and keep going.

Personally to have a master in the martial arts is another thing.. If you could choose a qigong/nei dan master that would let you do other methods other then his (Meaning not closed door), Then only gathering information from one person isen't a journey.. Your just waiting.

Take the pieces from everything you learn, and make your own of it.

What sort of journey John?