Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Yes, I discovered Oliver Shanti albums in a similar way as Sifu Terry did. I saw a YouTube video of a Wudang Shan master doing qigong to this wonderful Asian modern music that fit the qigong movements perfectly. So I emailed the master asking the name of the music. He gave me the name of the right musician, Oliver Shanti, but he gave me an incorrect title to that piece of music. But I later found the correct piece from Shanti. It is great sounding but a little to fast for slow moving qigong forms. I can't recall the name of the track now, however but I think I still have in my favorites file. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 2:27 PM, tao stillness said:

,In the interest of the ancient culture surrounding Chi Kung, I have just started reading, "Seven Taoist Masters". Will my past English teachers forgive me for starting the above sentence with a preposition? 

Really good eternal, universal truth teachings. Wisdom, in other words, based on what happens when a chi cultivator achieves Awakening. How the Divine or Spirit then works thru his higher state of consciousness and the resulting change in perceptions and behaviors spontaneously. It is taught in this novel via fascinating stories. Translated by Eva Wong. 

Hi Steve,
Thanks for sharing this reading.  I will put it on my list because Eva Wong is one of the most reliable and authoratative translators of Taoist canons, scriptures, poetry, and prose.  She herself is a feng-sui expert and I have her early books on feng-shui tradition.
Happy Holidays.
Sifu Terry

On 11/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, taoguy said:

:) Thank you for sharing, this music was very "moving", makes something start moving within me. 

The Pentatonic scale was originally developed by the ancient Chinese with respect to Yin and Yang - Yin being perfect 4ths and Yang being perfect 5ths. Curiously everything else in the chinese system seems to go in fives, like the pentatonic scale with 5 notes, like 5-elements or 5-organ-systems. 

Being from an Eastern orchestra in the past, I was ear-trained in Cello and could tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.

As Eastern music increases in pitch, the deviations become wider and wider, whereas Western music tends to try to 'constrict', 'average' and "mathematize". As such Eastern high pitches then to be deviated by several frequencies when compared to Western pitches. For example, a C note in a low octave will be the same as the C note in a much higher octave for Western music; a C note in a low octave will be slightly lower compared to the higher-octave C in Asian music.

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

Hi Winston,

I didn't know that you were a cello-ist on top of being a man of medicine. 

Wonderful that your training in Eastern orchestral music enabled to  tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.  Thank you for your explanation of how western music and eastern music differ by octaves when it comes to higher pitches, and your observation that western music tends to "mathematicize" and average.

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

The natural-born musical genii that I have the good fortune and privilege to know just channel in gorgeous melodies from another plane (as per their own words) that seems heavenly to me.  There is no construction, no calculation, no averaging.  just a spontaneous outpouring of original, natural aural beauty.  That type of creative process is represented by the Ace of Cups and the Star (XVII trump) card in the Crowley Tarot.  [Yes, I am once again citing Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot deck because his collaboration with Israel Regardie and Lady Frieda Harris to create that deck--designed for master alchemists to identify and uproot evil, by the way--is itself a work of spiritual genius left for the new Aeon.  And if anyone takes issue with this like whoever that was back around Year 3 or so of this thread, you can go back and read my long refutation of that simple-minded false belief that Crowley was a black magician.]  There are, of course, great composers who have a mathematical approach.  I am certainly not saying that those who calculate, average, and "mathematicize" do not make beautiful works of art and music. One of my favorite mathematical musicians is Steven Sondheim. '

But am relating the spontaneous creation of a song to the alchemy represented by the Ace of Cups and the Star cards in the Crowley Tarot:

thestar_thothtarotmajorarcana.jpg.jpg

Happy Holidays,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Last night was the first session of my fourth 22-hour immersive workshop in FP Qigong at Eastover Estate in 2017. 7 more sessions ending at noon on Sunday, Dec. 3

Last night's gentle and easy two hour session was also quite dynamic:  it covered these meditations in this order with not more than a 2-minute break between each one.

1.  Moonbeam Splashes on Water:    two rounds -- 20 minutes

2.  Wind Above the Clouds:  -- two rounds --  10 minutes

3.  Bending the Bows:  7 rounds -- 30 minutes  (Taking 12 breathes to raise arms + 12 breathes to lower arms.  In other words, each repetition book a minimum of 48 breathes.)

4.  Monk Gazing At Moon -- 10 minutes.

5.  Monk Holding Peach -- 10 minutes

6.  Wind Through Treetops -- 2 rounds:  10 minutes

7.  Monk Holding Pearl:  done in supine position for 15 minutes.

Happy Holidays.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Monk Holding Peach(9x5).jpg

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2017 at 8:29 AM, phil said:

With dyspraxia maybe Zhan Zuang would be a suitable practice? :) 

Dyspraxia in children is treated a number of ways, depending on its severity.  While there is no known cure, there are treatments to improve a person's planning and execution of physical movement, basic everyday skills, specialized skills, etc.

Without knowing the age of the person with dyspraxia nor the severity of the condition, I would say that (A)  Zhan Zhuang practice may help;  but that (B)  Tai Chi and other holistic martial arts and movement therapies are probably more effective as treatment.  Zhan Zhuang is an essential component in Tai Chi postures and therefore Tai Chi form practice--as well as Xing-I practice as a function of Zhan Zhuang's origin and evolution.

As you may know, the general categories of treating dyspraxia are:

Speech and language therapy

Perceptual motor training

Equine therapy for dyspraxia

Active Play

** BTW, Over the past 3 weeks, I had substantial discussion and practices with  Baguazhang and Sheng Zhen Qigong Master Li Junfeng (former coach of the Chinese national wushu team throughout the 1980's and 90's) and with Grandmaster Wang Rengang of Da Cheng Chuan about Zhan Zhuang.  All the Flying Phoenix Qigong standing meditations, starting with "Monk Gazing AT Moon" and ending with the five 90-second meditations (as taught on Volume 5 of the CKFH DVD series) incorporate all the postural and neuro muscular principles of Zhan Zhuang,  but redirects those classical principles to cultivate the distinctive and unique FP Healing Energy with each one of its unique breath control sequences (e.g., 60 40 20 for Monk Gazing at Moon).

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 7

This evening's 2-hour FP Qigong Workshop session at Eastover Estate covered these thirteen FP Meditations practiced for these durations  as indicated (no breaks), and  in this order:

Moonbeam Splashes on Water - 3 rounds - 20 min.

Wind Above the Clouds - 3 rounds:  12 min.

Bending the Bows - 15 min.

Monk Gazing At Moon - 10 min.

Monk Holding Peach - 15 min.

Wind Through Treetops - 2 rounds - 15

90 second standing Meditation (70 40 30 20) 3x = 10 min.

90 second standing Meditation  (90 50 40 20) 3x = 10 min.

Monk Holding Pearl (Supine) - 10 min.

Preparatory Seated Meditation 50 10 50 = 5 min.

Preparatory Seated Meditation  5 60 80 40 30 = 8 min.

Monk Serves Wine #4:  80 70 50 30  - 7 rounds - 20 min.

Monk serves Wine #7:   20 40 90 10 - 7 rounds = 20 min.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Monk Peach 9x5.jpg

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Looking at the Crowley Star card it is interesting that the figure in front of the sphere with the way she is curved actually turns it into the Taoist yin-yang symbol which I forget is either properly called tai chi or taiji . I just could not understand the Crowley deck so I donated my deck to the local metaphysical bookstore a few years ago. Is there any book available that simplifies the understanding of that unique deck? I have been using the Rider-Waite tarot system for about 25 years and the synchronicity of information from the tarot system is pretty impressive. It becomes even more impressive when authentic psychics use the tarot. I still fail to understand how it works but I do know that it does work, and that has been good enough for me. If I had the right book for the Crowley tarot I would order another Crowley deck. I will have to research if there is any book out there that interprets the method in Taoist terms.

• Like 1

The Zhan Zhaung postures do produce a strong sensation of chi for sure. But the sensation still feels much different than what I have felt from doing the Flying Phoenix movements or static postures. The resulting sensations from FP chi field has a more satisfying and compelling feel to it. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2017 at 7:41 AM, tao stillness said:

Looking at the Crowley Star card it is interesting that the figure in front of the sphere with the way she is curved actually turns it into the Taoist yin-yang symbol which I forget is either properly called tai chi or taiji . I just could not understand the Crowley deck so I donated my deck to the local metaphysical bookstore a few years ago. Is there any book available that simplifies the understanding of that unique deck? I have been using the Rider-Waite tarot system for about 25 years and the synchronicity of information from the tarot system is pretty impressive. It becomes even more impressive when authentic psychics use the tarot. I still fail to understand how it works but I do know that it does work, and that has been good enough for me. If I had the right book for the Crowley tarot I would order another Crowley deck. I will have to research if there is any book out there that interprets the method in Taoist terms.

Hi Steve,

Here are some of the best books that explain the Crowley deck:

1)  A very good manual for understanding and using the Crowley deck (and the first one my mentor told me to get in the early 90's) is Mirror of the Soul by Zeigler.

https://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Mirror-Handbook-Aleister-Crowley/dp/0877286833/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0877286833&pd_rd_r=RA111PMWFMAAEX3FT7E0&pd_rd_w=GjUEr&pd_rd_wg=CKIEz&psc=1&refRID=RA111PMWFMAAEX3FT7E0

2)   Perhaps the best is Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot by  Lon Milo DuQuette.  Just excellent:
https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Aleister-Crowleys-Thoth-Tarot/dp/157863623X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=157863623X&pd_rd_r=W6GTSVZGZ7EA3SYNKW2J&pd_rd_w=j3p1B&pd_rd_wg=G7dq5&psc=1&refRID=W6GTSVZGZ7EA3SYNKW2J

3)  Another very popular manual on the deck is New Age Tarto by James Wanless, who created the New Age Tarot deck:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Tarot-Guide-Thoth/dp/0961507918/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512631356&sr=1-1&keywords=new+age+tarot+james+wanless

4)  And another good reference is Crowley's own book about his deck:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Thoth-Short-Egyptians-Equinox/dp/0877282684/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G4FA6A7MD8MB8Y6PFD97

How i was taught to use the Crowley tarot was to take the time and energy to meditate visually on every card until one has memorized all of them in detail and is able to visualize each card with eyes closed.  it takes a long time and great concentration to accomplish this.  But is well worth the eye-brain-spirit exercise if one wants to make maximum use of this oracle.  Crowley, Israel Regardie, and Lady Frieda Harris put their differences aside (they didn't like one another much) and collaborated to create this deck per Crowley's vision, and created a deck that is used by high level white magicians to uproot corruption.  That's what it's designed for.  If one is called to do works and is versed in the Crowley deck, the progress of one's operations in undoing black magick is revealed in one's waking visions or nocturnal dreamstates with the elements, tools, animals, and persons in the cards animating.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Reposting this question to Sifu Terry or anyone who can answer:

From a question that Cihan mentioned in an earlier post about the Five Flash Meditations on Vol.5, the last one coming from Baat Din Gum: it can be done again and again repeatedly much like Bending the Bows, after one breath control sequence, yes? If so, how many repetitions do you recommend, 18 like in BtB? 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2017 at 1:10 AM, Frederic said:

Oliver Shanti is great music to train by. Thanks Tao Stillness.

Question 1:

The Bending the Bows-like move sequence that is repeated in Wind Above the Clouds and Wind Through the Treetops. I have a question about the part where you move toward Monk Gazing at Moon.

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon. But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

Question 2:

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

Maybe in the far future I have the time and stamina to try a 18x 5 minutes practice of BTB, but I promised myself not to strive to hard and let my Gong develop naturally and without strife and (too much) effort.

Thanks & Namaste!

Question 3:

This is a little weirder question.

Are there powerwords, mantra's or such that have good synergy with FP practice? I like to do some sort of simple opening and closing ritual. I sometimes invite Feng Tao Teh into the practice space, and thought about writing some sort of invocation. Any  thoughts or ideas? I like to keep it simple so just opening and closing with gratitude might do the trick...

Who was the Goddess who reportedly inspired the reception of FP?

hello Frederic,

Answers to your questions in blue: 

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon.

The premise of your question is wrong:  It is in Bending the Bows and  and Wind through Treetops that the "hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon"--but not in "Wind Above the Clouds."   The hands do move in a wide horizontal circle and at throat level, but they do not move towards the Monk Gazing At Moon (or "hugging the egg" configuration of the arms and chest).   

But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

I think you are confused:   the wider circle in Wind Through Treetops is NOT towards Monk Gazing At Moon.  it is horizontal and stays at throat level. Call this "Part A".   

The second circling of the arms in WTT is vertical towards the "hugging the egg" shape of  Monk Gazing At Moon position.  Call it "Part B."

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

2 minutes per repetition is a very good speed to practice BTB.

In my classes and workshops, I tell students to take a minimum of 12 breathes to riase the arms in Part A and  a minimum of 12 breathes to lower the arms in Part A;  minimum of 12 breathes to raise the arms towards Monk Gaziing At Moon shape in Part B, and a minimum of 12 breathes to lower the arms from that position. 

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

Up to 18 is standard practice.  Do as many as as you have time for.
I have taken as much as 70 minutes to do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows.

Good luck and enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Reposting this question to Sifu Terry or anyone who can answer:

From a question that Cihan mentioned in an earlier post about the Five Flash Meditations on Vol.5, the last one coming from Baat Din Gum: it can be done again and again repeatedly much like Bending the Bows, after one breath control sequence, yes? If so, how many repetitions do you recommend, 18 like in BtB? 

Hi Earl Grey,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question.  I just completed a 4-day FP Qigong workshop at Eastover Estate followed by an evening Tai Chi class.

No.  the last Meditation on Volume 5 is done "one round of the pre-choreographed movements with one breath-control sequence."  If you want to do multiple rounds of the movements, preface each round with usual 3 deep breathes plus the breath control sequence  (80 70 50 40 30).   And then count your self out of the meditation after one round of movements with 3 deep breathes. 

To reiterate In other words:  do repetitions of the movement sequence just like you would do more than one round of "Wind Above the Clouds":  do one breath control sequence with each round of movements.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

Thank you Sifu Terry. I wasn't sure because of how it was worded in an earlier post, but glad that it's clarified to one repetition per breath control sequence. Hope you had a great time at Eastover Estate. Happy Holidays and looking forward to beginning training with you in 2018!

• Like 1

Music is an important complement to my qg tjq practices.  I definitely will give the Oliver Shanti a trial run.  

My recent accompaniment have been  Tibetan bells,  Bach Cello suites,  Carlos Nakai native flute,  and a few failures OM Advaita / Dvaita which sounds Arabic / Near east.  

I have a long love affair w Judy Collins.  So thanks for that posting.  Also Stephen Sondheim has interested me,  but only Send in the Clowns really captures my heart.

Finally  Philip Glass has taken up residence  for lots of reasons,  not the least that i had that amazing 40+ minute long form Flying Phoenix practice while listening to Metamorphosis ...  unfortunately it is too short!  I went well past the end of the piece.

Recently times  for  LFFP  have been  mostly in the 35 min range.  

Slowing down Sifu's long form on youtube  ( the 10 min performance) is really worth doing mirror image  ...  slow the player down to 0,5  speed  is a nice practice ... I do the breath control first then pause open eyes and follow Sifu  ... have not successfully done the 0.25  so far

practice peace with every form

charlie

• Like 2

I  would like to share with everyone my experience yesterday of doing just part--one third-- of the FP Standing Long Form meditation (vol.4)--in a pubic place,even-- to extinguish the early symptoms of a cold that was coming on.

Yesterday, I had nice lunch with a FP student at a Japanese restaurant in town and then spent the rest of the afternoon Christmas shopping.  Shortly after the lunch and after walking my dog, I decided to have a latte at a nearby coffee house and downed a few oatmeal cookies as chasers.  About 3 hours later--I guess after the protein in the lunch had been digested and the sugar, dairy and caffeine hit my system--while in a department store I felt heavy, stagnant energy and had sniffles starting in one nostril.  After walking around a few more minutes and noticing that the symptoms weren't going away and that a cold was definitely setting on, I went to a corner of the dept. store (in front of the candle section) and subtly did 1/3 of the  Long Form Standing Meditation by making the most minimal general gestures for each moment--barely doing the movements.  I did the 90 60 5 50 40 breathing sequence, and the moment I completed the sequence, I felt the penetrating healing energy light up and steadily spread throughout my system--while simultaneously feeling the congestion, stagnation, and "inner dampness" suddenly disappear/clear up/vanish.  I didn't need to even mentally do the next arm floating up and down movement (like Tai Chi form opening).  So I took 3 breathes to end the meditation right then and there.

I did the gestures of the movements while mentally performing the form to its fullest.  By the time I finished the extension of both arms to shoulder level form the palms at the solar plexus position facing downward (that follows the 3 opening and closing movements in the big-frame wuchi position), I felt all the cold symptoms completely extinguished and my head was crystal clear and dry--without a sniffle.  "Extinguished" isn't best word because it connotes a firefighter putting out fire with water or retardant.  "Eradicated" is accurate because the restoration was thorough and speedy, but it doesn't capture the sublimity of the healing. I can also say that I felt the restoration to homeostasis on a cellular level. 

So that's my report.  I felt a cold definitely coming on.  I walked around with its starting symptoms for about 5 min. until I knew it would manifest into a full-blown cold if I didn't do something.  Then I did 1/3 of the FPHHCM Vol.4 exercise--with good mental concentration and only schematic/abbreviated movements.  No cold symptoms whatsoever from the time I took the terminating 3 full breathes onward.

Happy Holidays.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 7

On 11/24/2017 at 6:52 AM, shortstuff said:

Hi Guys.

I was about to order Sifu Garrys Sunn Yee Gong but on the last page people are saying it is confusing and not to bother.

I want to order FP instead.

But I have issues with something called dyspraxia, I find it hard to get breathing and standing nailed at the same time and was wondering how successful this would be if I just bought level 2 dvd - the 6 sitting meditations?

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

Thank you

Hello Shortstuff,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

My classmate Sifu Garry's Sunn Yee Gong training is authentic and powerful.

I know that it empowers our Bok Fu Pai kung fu.  FP Qigong i different in that it cultivates a purely healing energy that cannot be used for martial art at all.

You can certainly start with the seated meditations of Vol.2,  But know that the all the standing FP Meditations are more powerful than the seated ones, and they are essential to mastering the system.  I would advise you to try the standing meditations on Vol.1 and do the stationary standing ones for short durations to start and slowly work you way up to longer durations.  FP Qigong adds no stress the to system--given that the practitioner has no serious structural damage. 

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

Practitioners of numerous other meditations and yoga have found that FP Qigong enhances, stabilizes and makes more comfortable their meditative practice.  

You don't have to worry about sending energy from your body to the brain.  FP Qigong perfectly regulates the energy of all the orbs/organs through the central nervous system.  You do not want to willfully, consciously direct energy from the extremities to the brain.  I don't advise projecting that process nor entertatining it.  The basic holistic principle in. let's say Tui Na acupressure to make the body healthy and strong, is to "push" [better word is to "direct"] the energy from the heart to the extremities, and to mentally or physically "push" ONLY the blood back to the heart.

Start doing Vol.2 , but do as much of Vol.1 as you can.

Good luck,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

I now remember the Oliver Shanti track that was played while the Wudang chi kung master was demonstrating I think the Five Animals. It is called Sacral Nirvana. As I said in earlier post, it might be too fast for accompanying Flying Phoenix but I use it for other chi kung forms that I do that are faster paced. But it remains my favorite piece of music associated with chi kung. I use 2 other Oliver Shanti albums for doing most of my chi kung. There is another great piece of music that fits well with any style of chi kung and it is really unique. You can find it on you tube if you watch the trailers for Ed Rockett qigong. Ed was kind enough to email me that piece of music so I could put it on my computer.  

• Like 1

(English is not my primary language. I am Brazilian, can understand well written english, but to write can be a different matter and I almost never need write in english. So I don’t know how clear is my written English, so I ask you some patience if my sentences seems a little “weird” to you.)

...................................................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................................

Hello!

I am a new member, I know this forum there some years but only today I decided register me.

I have some doubts about the Flying Phoenix guidelines. I practiced DVD1+DVD2 daily for six months, but I became confused about what to do with the DVD3 and DVD4.Some time after begin to learn DVD3 I gave up. I am returning to practice since one month ago and would like to solve this 'mysteries', before arrive again in the point where they become  a problem.

I tried obtain some direct explanations by email maybe three times, but taichimania never replied, so I will try obtain the answers here.

This topic is great but is so long that even if I try research, I found pages and pages and in none of them I found the direct reply to the points that I am looking for. So excuse me if I am asking a repeated question.

In the Training schedule ( http://www.taichimania.com/trainingschedule.html ), point 7, says:

7-Now begin another cycle of practice starting with a new standing meditation (Number #4) and new seated meditation

1) This means what exactly?

----a)- Should I  abandon the practice of the first group 3 standing and 3 seated meditation to replace them for the next group?

----b)- Or should I continue doing them and only add the new meditations, and the GOAL would be  practicing DVD1+DVD2+DVD3  daily?

Maybe you think that item 8 clears this, but not:

8-Continue with more cycles of this "step-up" training until you have practiced all the exercises in Volumes One through Three.

2) I can not understand if this “until you have practiced” means:

---a)-“until you are practicing all of them daily”

---b)-or “ until you have some past experience in all of them”

I ask this because you suggest that “some past experience” is enough to we can reduce the total time of practice. The item 9 suggest that some exercises will be abandoned in some point:

9-Once you have learned all of the meditations…. select your favorite exercises and practice them daily for six months.

3) So I will practice only two of eleven ( 1 standing and 1 seated)  and remain without to practice all the others nine exercises for six months?

And in 10 you says:

10-After the six months, you can scale back your practice of your favorite exercises to once a week. Then pick up another two exercises that you feel are similarly powerful and effective and practice them daily for six months.

4) It means:

-----a)-after I left behind the practice of those 9 exercises I go back and pick two o them? But if they have some utility why they should be abandoned for so long time? I will not lose their effects for not practice for 6 months? Won't be better practice all of them daily?

-----b)-I should continue this cycle (pick two, practice 6monhs, scale back them to once a week, pick other two, practice 6 months, scale back to once  week, pick another two.....until make the same all 5 standind+6 seated? Or only with the two stronger effect exercises of each group?

5) And about those two moving meditations of DVD3? They can be abandoned too? Or I should  pick one of them so?  

Like so: - 1 favorite exercise from DVD1 + 1 favorite exercise from DVD2+ all DVD3

Here seems there is some confusion:

11- Practice the standing long form meditation called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation" (on Volume Three) as regularly as you can for vitality and strong immunity.

6) The DVD3 have two moving meditations, none of them is it. I suppose that you make a mistake, should be written "Volume four"?

---> CKFH Volume Three: In this volume, Terry Dunn provides instruction in two intermediate standing meditations of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system:  “Wind through the Treetops” and “Moonbeam Splashes On Water.”

…………………………………………….

--> Volume Four teaches the Advanced Long Form Meditation called the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation, which is the capstone of the entire Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong system

So, If I was able to understand something, I suppose that:

7) When I begin to learn the DVD4, I should be training daily:

------a)1 from DVD1+1 form DVD2+ 1 from DVD3 AND Maybe practicing a “second best exercise” only once a week?

or

------b)-1 from DVD1+1 from DVD2+  DVD3 complete AND Maybe practicing a “second best exercise” only once a week? ?

8) AFTER learn DVD4 should I abandon completely the practice of the DVDs 1,2,3 ? Or should continue practicing them once a week?

9) The next DVDs are “extras” to the main system? I suppose that the DVD5 don’t replace a practice of the DVD4, right? Nor DVD7 replace DVD2?

10)By the explanations it seems that the correct steup training schedule  to the DVD1+DVD2 should be  like this, but I don1t know where put the two meditations of the DVD3:

DVD 1- 5 standing meditations*             ----DVD 2 - 6 seated meditations

ITEM FROM TRAINING SHCEDULE

FIRST CYCLE

FIRST
2 WEEKS

SECOND
2 WEEKS

THIRD
2 WEEKS

LAST
8 WEEKS

3-6

STANDING

EXERCISE

EXERCISE
#1 + #2

EXERCISE
#1 + #2 + #3

EXERCISE
#1 + #2 + #3

SEATED

EXERCISE

EXERCISE
#1 +

EXERCISE
#1 + #2 + #3

EXERCISE
#1 + #2 + #3

7-8

SECOND CYCLE

15-16TH WEEKS

17-18TH
2 WEEKS

19-20
2 WEEKS

LAST
8 WEEKS

STANDING

EXERCISE

EXERCISE
#4 + #5

EXERCISE
#4 + #5 +???

EXERCISE
#4 + #5 +???

SEATED

EXERCISE

EXERCISE
#4 +

EXERCISE
#4 + #5 + #6

EXERCISE
#1 + #2 + #3

THIRD CYCLE

NEXT 6 MONTHS

STANDING

FAVORITE EXERCISE 1

SEATED

FAVORITE EXERCISE 2

Fourth cycle

FEX1+FEX2- ONCE A WEEK

FEX3+FEX4- DAILY

Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation DAILY

Edited by SandroFV

I'm posting to share my very first Skype class (of many more to come and eventually in-person training) with Sifu Terry on Friday in Manila and Thursday night in Massachusetts. This review/critique/feedback is something I have spent the past several nights sitting on to find the words and state of being to accurately convey the joy, the delight, the wonder, the pleasure, the privilege, and honor of training with Sifu Terry for furthering my studies of Flying Phoenix and several other practices such as Bat Din Gum, Bok Fu Pai, and the unexpected addition of future studies in more forms such as Tao Tan Pai cane form and even some introduction to new stances from Yi Quan. 

To begin, it is very, very hard to believe the vast and encyclopedic knowledge that Sifu Terry has as an individual--some may argue that he is not a real person, but a committee. Thankfully this is not the case, for he is not only a genuine sage, but a humble and exceptionally pleasant human being whose understanding of everything he teaches is matched only by his eagerness to share and uplift every student whom he encounters. If one asks how he has both depth and vastness of knowledge and skill in the healing and martial arts, I am reminded of an old Zen parable where a sage teaches his student that the universe exists within a seed, and the seed exists within the universe, and therefore there is no surprise or mystery when we ask how one man can contain the knowledge of an entire library in his head. 

While I was originally planning to wait for some things to align both financially and emotionally (as well as Mercury Retrograde, which fouls up communications), I decided in the midst of some personal chaos in my life to seek out Sifu Terry for inaugural lessons. I couldn't have made a better choice, and like the other internal arts I have learned, it is not the form I seek out, but I am drawn to the teacher and their character, for they are the mark of the lineage, the system, and personal achievement, and meeting Sifu Terry was like meeting an old friend again. 

After acquainting ourselves with one another, it is very hard to see at times where the border of friendship and instruction lies, for nothing felt like a chore or a class, it simply flowed naturally from instruction to story sharing and a perpetual state of wonder and discovery. The level of dedication to each student, the generosity of time, openness to everyone and kindness in the individual known as Sifu Terry Dunn is what compels me to say that he just may be a living treasure for all of us. 

General comments aside, we specifically started with some Yi Quan postures, then from there, I was playfully brought into my first experience practicing a Bok Fu Pai form, feeling the immense difference in energetic frequencies between BFP and Flying Phoenix (FP). We then reviewed my FP long form from volume 4, then had a display of the complete Bat Din Gum form without the uneven terrain that was showcased in Glacier National Park in a Youtube video earlier this year. As instruction and conversation went on into the night, I rediscovered that childlike amazement and wonder that drew me to my teachers and their practices. Sifu Terry has immense patience as well, for my Internet connection in this country is not known for quality--we had many, many moments where mid-sentence would be cut off for an average of 30 seconds and Sifu Terry was neither irritated nor prevented from saying what needed to be said and imparting what was meant to be learned. 

I'm eagerly awaiting further instructions and encouraging everyone who loves the Flying Phoenix DVD series to have a one-on-one session with Sifu Terry. You won't regret it and like any true adept, cost is irrelevant for such immeasurable value for priceless gifts of both the teachings and to befriend a genuine sage. If the universe has aligned to push us where we need to be, then I am rejoicing in knowing that what drew me to Flying Phoenix's DVD series and this thread and now tutelage with Sifu Terry is where I will continue running towards. I look forward to learning and eventually representing the systems I am seeking to learn under Sifu Terry and continuing to share them with the world, and hope to not only teach, but to have the mastery that allows very few individuals like Sifu Terry to both teach well and connect to everyone studying under him. 

I don't usually make such glowing testimonials contrary to popular belief, but I have definitely been privileged to be mostly exposed to the great ones. In conclusion, I leave with the last line of Casablanca: "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". I hope you all take a moment to widen and deepen your practice through a one-on-one session with Sifu Terry.

• Like 12

On 7-12-2017 at 9:17 AM, zen-bear said:

hello Frederic,

Answers to your questions in blue: 

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon.

The premise of your question is wrong:  It is in Bending the Bows and  and Wind through Treetops that the "hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon"--but not in "Wind Above the Clouds."   The hands do move in a wide horizontal circle and at throat level, but they do not move towards the Monk Gazing At Moon (or "hugging the egg" configuration of the arms and chest).   

But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

I think you are confused:   the wider circle in Wind Through Treetops is NOT towards Monk Gazing At Moon.  it is horizontal and stays at throat level. Call this "Part A".   

The second circling of the arms in WTT is vertical towards the "hugging the egg" shape of  Monk Gazing At Moon position.  Call it "Part B."

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't know why I added to the confusion by adding Wind Above the Clouds into the question.

What I ment to ask was that Part B in Wind Through the Treetops the hands seemed to move in a wider arc towards Monk Gazing at Moon, than during Part B in Bending the Bows.

But going back over both dvds I see now that there is no difference and that I have made the arc of Part B in BTB too small in the first place, as can be seen on my youtube video demonstration of BTB. 

Thanks for helping me correct that!

• Like 1

i had an acquaintance / short time student  ask about the Jeff  Primack qi gong.  His presentation is rather off putting to me,  but a number of reviewers on Tao Bums  have positive response to getting so much 'wow qi' from the experience of his $100 group class.   I think this is just the large group experience of Werner's 1970's EST.   My parents did that to some good effect,  it offended me mostly.   

Any how search Primack on dao bums or just let me hear from you if you have experienced it.

• Like 2

I don't normally comment on things of this nature, but for Jeff I will make an exception.

My experience getting to meet Jeff and having family work with him for a time gave me an inside look at the man and his process and what I found, caused me to turn and leave and never look back. 

I wish him no ill, but want him no where near what I hold dear.

• Like 4

I have to second this. I don't get a good read of Jeff and his material is overpriced for what he teaches, which also does not appear to be very accurate. Notice he is primarily marketed towards neophytes rather than experienced practitioners. 

Suggestion: split this out of the Flying Phoenix thread so that we remain on topic. 

• Like 3

This is off topic but to end it on this blog with disparaging a teacher of a different qigong method I think might be considered to be lacking in virtue. I did practice Jeff's qigong method several years ago and had no problems with it. And as far as overpriced, his 4 day workshops are the lowest price qigong workshops in the United States. It was 4 days for a total of $99 and I think it is a little bit more now but still the best price anywhere. And to compare EST to a Jeff Primack workshop makes no sense. There is tremendous energy in group practice. Just look at the research on what has been called the Maharishi Effect which I was part of that study on what group consciousness can do at the individual level and even effecting world events. So I think we can enjoy the Grand Master Doo Wai methods while accepting that other people may be drawn to different teachers but that does not mean there is something wrong with other qigong methods. A little tolerance goes a long way, especially when we have not experienced first hand the methods of someone we are critical of.  

• Like 3