Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

And here for all you music lovers out there is nice video of B.J. Cole explaining what fascinated him about the pedal steel guitar and how he likes to play it.  His sound, at least on Transparent Music, is clearly flavored ancient Celtic, which means it's close to Druids, which makes his sensibilities and way of expressing (sound) energy Taoist!

On 11/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, centertime said:

Hello,

Which exercises are recommended if someone has cough?  Any experience?

Hello Centertime,

For cough, I suggest any of the Flying Phoenix Qigong exercises--but before you practice put a nice slice of raw ginger in your mouth and chew it thoroughly, and then continually hold it in your mouth as you practice.

There have been a number of subscribers to thei thread who practiced the ginger cleansing meditation for up to 108 days as suggested by GM Doo Wai in one of his videops.  Can anyone of you folks give 9th some further advice?

If you don't want to go the Flying PHoenix PLUS ginger route, there is always the Chris Rock remedy:  Robitussin!

Cheers,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

I was injecting influenza and testing flying phoenix without much results you would expect. It gives your body qi to fight of disease and get strong immunity so you do not get sick, but when you got sick you will need use FP as support terms and give it some time. Herbs and FP would do great job. 

What I observed is that.

- You do not get tired, whatever walking whole day or being active it's like not feeling tired.

- You do not get sick with flu and other seasonal stuff.

- You can greatly enhance your body and immunity system for chronic diseases. Qi heals greatly if done properly and in state of ding (emptiness)

The problem with FP is that you need to have digestion system for this energy as it's pretty slow in absorption. 

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
  • Like 3

Thanks for the music recommendations, I've tracked down BJ Cole on spotify and I'll give him a listen for my practice tonight.

I actually have a lap steel, very similar to a pedal steel guitar, at my parents house. It's gone unplayed for quite some time, but after listening to those tracks I feel inspired to give it another shot. 

Also fascinating insight into Stonehenge. I'll do a bit of reading about the Crowley tarot, but I can see from the five of discs card image the similarity with how I imagine the energy vortex around Stonehenge to be. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thank you so much Flying Phoenix Qigong!

After a hiatus I'm back practicing. A chronic illness prevented me from doing almost anything, but there is enough energy to do things now, including Qigong and I hope to keep a positive feedback loop going. Lessons learned from previous Flying Phoenix startups and fails is to take it slow, do what my body can do, and do not rush through the program in a desire to do the capstone meditation.

I've also tried different Qigongs but this one feels so different! It does indeed have a unique energy which I can only describe as gentle and nourishing.

Thank you Terry, for showing us footage of Flying Phoenix Qigong practiced at the proper slow tempo. I always hoped you would share such footage. 

Anyway, here is my version of Bending the Bows. Normally I start with a few faster repetitions and then go progressively slower with each repetition. Here I started relatively slow, and also do get slower near the end of the video.

Feedback more than welcome:

• Like 2

I would like to reply to a few things that Sifu Terry mentioned above.

There is an interesting benefit to "just keep doing it" for chi kung. Eric Isen, the medical clairvoyant who by now has tested many chi kung forms for people all over the world, recently told me that he finds that sticking with a particular chi kung form for a long time is essential because chi kung works in levels. It heals something and then it goes on to another level of work for you in terms of what needs healing/balancing/cleansing. He saw that one form I have been doing daily for 2 years now has been changing my neurons to be able to produce higher states of consciousness. 

I saw online a video of GM Doo Wai recommending people have some form of ginger in their mouth when they perform chi kung so I asked Eric to test that to see if it does increase chi as GM Doo Wai claimed it did. Eric found that it indeed does increase energy. I admit that I have almost always forgotten to use ginger with my chi kung practice even though I have a root of ginger sitting in the fridge. 

I also want to comment on using chi kung to heal colds and flu. I have heard some chi kung teachers warn against doing any chi kung when you have the flu, etc. That makes no sense to me since I literally was cured of a very serious virus over night 4 or 5 years ago by doing 3 and one-half hours of chi kung when laid up in bed. I woke up the next morning with no more chills or fever and was full of so much energy that I was able to chop away at the ice around my car in an attempt to return to work even though I had hardly eaten anything for days. So the idea is to do as much chi kung as your are physically able to when sick like that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tao stillness said:

I would like to reply to a few things that Sifu Terry mentioned above.

There is an interesting benefit to "just keep doing it" for chi kung. Eric Isen, the medical clairvoyant who by now has tested many chi kung forms for people all over the world, recently told me that he finds that sticking with a particular chi kung form for a long time is essential because chi kung works in levels. It heals something and then it goes on to another level of work for you in terms of what needs healing/balancing/cleansing. He saw that one form I have been doing daily for 2 years now has been changing my neurons to be able to produce higher states of consciousness. 

I saw online a video of GM Doo Wai recommending people have some form of ginger in their mouth when they perform chi kung so I asked Eric to test that to see if it does increase chi as GM Doo Wai claimed it did. Eric found that it indeed does increase energy. I admit that I have almost always forgotten to use ginger with my chi kung practice even though I have a root of ginger sitting in the fridge. 

I also want to comment on using chi kung to heal colds and flu. I have heard some chi kung teachers warn against doing any chi kung when you have the flu, etc. That makes no sense to me since I literally was cured of a very serious virus over night 4 or 5 years ago by doing 3 and one-half hours of chi kung when laid up in bed. I woke up the next morning with no more chills or fever and was full of so much energy that I was able to chop away at the ice around my car in an attempt to return to work even though I had hardly eaten anything for days. So the idea is to do as much chi kung as your are physically able to when sick like that. 

Adding to this...

I didn't even know I had the flu virus until two weeks ago when after doing my usual martial forms, I coughed up some phlegm. An hour of Flying Phoenix later, my nasal passages cleared and I never would have known I was sick if it weren't for those symptoms I coughed up. I was still able to do calisthenics right after, and the next day was as though I had nothing at all. 

So keep practicing even if you don't feel anything working--it's always working.

• Like 2

I read something interesting, and wondered if this blue state has anything in common with the sage Nisargadatta:

Nisargadatta:  You must come to a firm decision. You must forget the thought that you are a body and be only the knowledge “I Am,” which has no form, no name. Just be. When you stabilize in that beingness it will give you all the knowledge and all the secrets to you, and when the secrets are given to you, you transcend the beingness, and you, the Absolute, will know that you are also not the consciousness. Having gained all this knowledge, having understood what is what, a kind of quietude prevails, a tranquility. Beingness is transcended, but beingness is available.

Questioner: What is that state?

It is something like a deer taking rest in the shadow of a tree. The color of the shadow is neither light nor very dark, this is the borderland. Neither jet black nor very bright, halfway between them, that is the shadow. Deep blue, like clouds, that is the state. That is also the grace of the Sat-Guru. Everything is flowing out of that state, but this principle does not claim anything, is not involved in anything that is coming out of it, but this beingness is available.

That deep, dark blue state, the grace of the Sat-Guru. This is the state of the jnani, this is a very, very, rare, natural samadhi state, the most natural state, the highest state.

You must have a firm conviction about this. Once the decision is taken, there is no moving away from it. The fruition of your spirituality is to fully understand your own true nature, to stabilize in your true identity. One must have patience, the capacity to wait and see.

The darkness you see when you close your eyes, that is the shadow of the Guru’s grace; don’t forget it, always keep it in mind. Take rest in the shadow of the Guru’s grace. Whenever you remember the words of the Guru, you are in the shade of the Guru’s grace.

Ultimately, everything merges into the Self. You may come across great difficulties, but your courage and stability in the Self should be firm.

April 19, 1980, p. 8

::

Nisargadatta: You understand yourself as body-mind; therefore my problem is – how to make you understand.

Lord Krishna said, “All are my expressions.” The mountain is of gold and a particle of that mountain is also gold. I am that mountain and every particle is myself. The entire beingness manifest is myself, and each being is a sample of myself. The knowledge “I Am” in each species is myself. The very life force – luminous, bright, radiant, indwelling principle is myself.

If anybody understands me totally and fully and most appropriately, that one gets the  shelter in the shade of my benign being.

The state of the jnani, the highest state, has transcended the beingness, but the beingness is still there, so together with the beingness is the Absolute – the deep blue, benign state, without eyes.

Knowledge takes rest in that deep blue, quiet, peaceful, benign shade. When the shade is shifted aside, then he sees the various manifestations in the form of universes and worlds. But when the shade is there, it is the deep, dark blue state, fully relaxed.

May 4, 1980, p. 11, Prior to Consciousness, Nisargadatta Maharaj

Just worthy of note, Nisargadatta relinquished the notion of "I Am" in the last few years of his life:

You forget that I am not what you think I am. I do not suffer; I cannot suffer because I am not an object. Of course there is suffering. But do you realize what this suffering is ? I am the suffering. Whatever is manifested, I am the functioning. Whatever is perceptible I am the perceiving of it. Whatever is done I am the doing of it; I am the doer of it, and, understand this, I am also that which is done. In fact, I am the total functioning.

But digression aside, I was wondering if the blue color perceived in FPQG is related to this dark-blue - perhaps a precursor? Just curious!

----

BTW, just to share again a list that Sifu Terry shared for reading:

The Buddha on Meditation and States of Consciousness by Daniel Goldman

Vissuddhimagga by Daniel Goldman

Secret of the Golden Flower -- trans. by Wilhelm or Cleary.

Tibetan Yoga & Secret Doctrines - by W.Y. Evans-Wentz

And the optional and also highly recommended are these six books by Carlos Castaneda, which are beautiful works of Taoism:

The Teachings of Don Juan, A Yaqui Way of Knowledge

A Separate Reality

Journey To Ixtlan**

Tales of Power**

The Fire Within**

The Second Ring of Power

The Eagle's Gift

**especially these 3.

For Secret of the Golden Flower, I read this version, which seemed to be a good complement to the Cleary translation. Tibetan Yoga & Secret Doctrines still seem quite difficult for me, though I do recognize some of the practices.

• Like 5

On 11/6/2017 at 8:37 AM, 9th said:

thoth-death.jpg

fool_thoth_tarot.jpg

THOTH21Universe.jpg

Hello 9th,

So how is this an example of  SYNCHRONICITY?! --

Just last night I turned this 3 card spread (!!!) over a situation that I shall disclose next spring:

7 Wands

Universe

Fool

SORRY FOR THIS EXTREMELY LATE NOTICE...BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU IN THE WASHINGTON, D.C. - DELAWARE AREA:

I am giving a full-day Flying Phoenix Qigong Workshop tomorrow, FRIDAY,

from 10 AM to 9PM in Bear, Delaware at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish Hall:

Venue:

St Elizabeth Ann Seton

Parish Hall

345 Bear Christiana Rd

Bear, DE 19701

Dr. Emil Mondoa at
[email protected]
to register
Phone:
(302) 293-3904
Lunch included

Also see info at my Tai Chi For Health Facebook Page:   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213061563685464&set=a.2881146959481.132753.1584272222&type=3&theater

Edited by zen-bear

I would like to share with everyone a few insights lately from my personal practice.

1) I am in no rush to learn the forms beyond the DVDs (yet) because the depth of every single form from Vols. 1-5 and 7 are so intense that I really have to schedule my days to keep things flowing and not forget forms. By intensity, I mean that in the very beginning, they feel great and simple, but the more I practice even the basic meditations, the more profound each one is with the layers of development of the psyche. So it's a lot of work with what we already have and am grateful that we have as much as we do now, but echoing SeekerOfHealing, I do get excited at the prospect of the new DVD volumes you've mentioned in the works, Sifu Terry. :) And I'm simply waiting for things to align on my end financially so I can begin training with you on Skype and for when I inevitably go to your classes in Santa Monica. 

2) I practice intensely a couple other systems, and one of my students had until yesterday complained that she didn't feel much benefit from it (Wu Qin Xi) after 100 days, but when we practiced together, the power of training together really led to a breakthrough for her. Interestingly enough, we also meditate as a group for Flying Phoenix every new moon and full moon, and for my friends who practice at home, they feel benefits alone and exponential benefits together as a group. Why I bring these two points together is that it's easy to feel benefits in Flying Phoenix, alone or in a group, but with other styles I know, some people have a difficult time feeling the benefits without a group, as individual practice is difficult for them. 

3) I can't emphasize enough the importance of sitting meditation that was mentioned cryptically at least once or twice on this thread when doing Flying Phoenix. If you do not have a silent seated meditation, find one now. Your Flying Phoenix practice will drastically improve, and I can not describe how because it's beyond my ability to accurately convey in words what happens when you sit and when you don't. 

Now, I shall end with a question that Cihan mentioned in an earlier post about the Five Flash Meditations on Vol.5, the last one coming from Baat Din Gum: it can be done again and again repeatedly much like Bending the Bows, after one breath control sequence, yes? If so, how many repetitions do you recommend, 18 like in BtB? 

Enjoy your workshop in DC, Sifu Terry! 

May everyone have fruitful practice! 

EDIT: I recommend traditional Taoist Zuowang, or Golden Flower, which I practice for my meditation primarily, and my secondary seated method is chanting mantras. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

I can't emphasize enough the importance of sitting meditation that was mentioned cryptically at least once or twice on this thread when doing Flying Phoenix. If you do not have a silent seated meditation, find one now. Your Flying Phoenix practice will drastically improve, and I can not describe how because it's beyond my ability to accurately convey in words what happens when you sit and when you don't. 

You can also do something else with FP to extract blue aura thru alchemical means and refine it. When I experimented with it, I have physical changes which never occurred before. Most of them are spiritual transformations and based on jing-qi-shen. but now I can realize if you not just sit, but do neidan practices with FP, you will have crazy effects and results.

FP is enhancement and have alchemical basis, if you know how to extract alchemy from FP.  

A very interesting experience that I had (of course, just basic) was that suddenly I couldn't feel my arms while doing today's practice. For example, when doing that taiji movement of pressing down 3 times, my hand sensation just disappeared. It was like I knew it was there, but I couldn't feel it at all. It felt... so light. As if I could leave my hands sticking out at that angle without any muscular tension at all. Then my body became like that as well. I've never had this happen in my practice before. It felt so weird, as if I knew my arms were there, but yet there weren't there. 

But I need to work on some forms from levels 1-3 to get a better foundation. I do have some glimpses of colors, but I feel like they are produced from visualization, because they vanish easily. So it's possibly just a passing hallucination/reaction rather than being in that actual state of samadhi. Yeah, definitely keep going, FPQG seems to always pull a strange new phenomenon out of nowhere that makes you scratch your head.

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

In terms of   music to accompany chi kung I almost always listen to one of the Asian themed albums by Oliver Shanti available on YouTube. I tried the Weightless piece by Marconi but I don't like New Age sounding tunes while doing chi kung. 

• Like 2

Nice choice! I have also been listening to some guqin music while practicing recently. I find the silence points in between notes is utterly magical. 

• Like 1

,In the interest of the ancient culture surrounding Chi Kung, I have just started reading, "Seven Taoist Masters". Will my past English teachers forgive me for starting the above sentence with a preposition? 

Really good eternal, universal truth teachings. Wisdom, in other words, based on what happens when a chi cultivator achieves Awakening. How the Divine or Spirit then works thru his higher state of consciousness and the resulting change in perceptions and behaviors spontaneously. It is taught in this novel via fascinating stories. Translated by Eva Wong. 

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 4

Hi Guys.

I was about to order Sifu Garrys Sunn Yee Gong but on the last page people are saying it is confusing and not to bother.

I want to order FP instead.

But I have issues with something called dyspraxia, I find it hard to get breathing and standing nailed at the same time and was wondering how successful this would be if I just bought level 2 dvd - the 6 sitting meditations?

I am trying to find a system that will aid my meditation, by sending energy from my body to my brain for use during meditation, or ojas as it is known.

Thank you

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 11:56 AM, tao stillness said:

In terms of   music to accompany chi kung I almost always listen to one of the Asian themed albums by Oliver Shanti available on YouTube. I tried the Weightless piece by Marconi but I don't like New Age sounding tunes while doing chi kung. 

I'm with you on that note, Steve.  new age type music doesn't do much of anything for me.  Just like "new age prose", as Harold Bloom put it, new age prose "has a vapidity that's not to be believed".  Remember all that new age music in the 80's?--where is it now?  It was like bad Chinese food, once is passed, it's forgotten about except as a must to avoid.  Just my two bits, imao.

I appreciate the Marconi Union's "Weightless" piece for what it is, and it being the product of the group's scientific approach to creating "relaxation music".  But beautiful melodies don't come from the left brain alone.  I'm friends with several genius musicians (one made list of Time magazine's 100 most influential Americans 2 yrs ago--when he was 25 yrs old)_ and I know from being in their presence--just hanging out-- how infinitely their creative consciousness's reach. 

I just looked up Oliver Shanti on Youtube and the first piece on this music video is one that I've been using for past 5-6 years in my Qigong and Tai Chi classes.  I found it back then in a  Wudangshan documentary.  Maybe it's an Oliver Shanti original--I don't know.  But it's one of my favorites.

Enjoy if you haven't heard this already.

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Remember:  my next and final east coast FP Qigong workshop is in 6 days at Eastover Estate:

http://www.eastover.com/workshop/flying-phoenix-qigong-with-master-terence-dunn.html

• Like 2

Oliver Shanti is great music to train by. Thanks Tao Stillness.

Question 1:

The Bending the Bows-like move sequence that is repeated in Wind Above the Clouds and Wind Through the Treetops. I have a question about the part where you move toward Monk Gazing at Moon.

During Bending the Bows itself and Wind Above the Clouds the hands move along a narrow egg like shape upward towards Monk Gazing at Moon. But while demonstrating Wind Through the Treetops on the DVD, the hands move along a wider circle like pattern towards Monk gazing at Moon. Is this purposefully different? And does it matter?

Question 2:

I'm planning to play Bending the Bows until I can do 18 repetitions (relatively) effortlessly. What is a good practice time and speed for this task? I was thinking 2 minutes per Bending the Bows for a total of 36 minutes.

If I go as slow as possible for BTB how many rounds do you advise?

Maybe in the far future I have the time and stamina to try a 18x 5 minutes practice of BTB, but I promised myself not to strive to hard and let my Gong develop naturally and without strife and (too much) effort.

Thanks & Namaste!

Question 3:

This is a little weirder question.

Are there powerwords, mantra's or such that have good synergy with FP practice? I like to do some sort of simple opening and closing ritual. I sometimes invite Feng Tao Teh into the practice space, and thought about writing some sort of invocation. Any  thoughts or ideas? I like to keep it simple so just opening and closing with gratitude might do the trick...

Who was the Goddess who reportedly inspired the reception of FP?

after a wild thanksgiving weekend   ... the grandsons  3 and 5 yrs  are just too cute and too m u c h  fun!

yesterday and today i easily broke 35 min practice of the long form  right side yesterday  mirror image today.

Sunday I fell on some rocks climbing a short slope and put a nice welt on my right shin ..  I can feel it pulsing ( in a good sense )

in several of the positions.   Seems like it is healing rapidly.   at my age that is pretty remarkable ... (just turned 77 )

long term consistent practice pays dividends!

Peace to all beings   

charlie

• Like 2

On 11/25/2017 at 1:37 AM, zen-bear said:

:) Thank you for sharing, this music was very "moving", makes something start moving within me. 

The Pentatonic scale was originally developed by the ancient Chinese with respect to Yin and Yang - Yin being perfect 4ths and Yang being perfect 5ths. Curiously everything else in the chinese system seems to go in fives, like the pentatonic scale with 5 notes, like 5-elements or 5-organ-systems. 

Being from an Eastern orchestra in the past, I was ear-trained in Cello and could tell that there were discrepancies in high pitches between Western equal-temperament notes (which are like averages) and the sharp-precise tones of Eastern music.

As Eastern music increases in pitch, the deviations become wider and wider, whereas Western music tends to try to 'constrict', 'average' and "mathematize". As such Eastern high pitches then to be deviated by several frequencies when compared to Western pitches. For example, a C note in a low octave will be the same as the C note in a much higher octave for Western music; a C note in a low octave will be slightly lower compared to the higher-octave C in Asian music.

Kind of similar to how modern scientific thinking is all about "categorizing", "averaging" and calculating, whereas Eastern philosophy is about moving along with nature and harmony.

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 5