Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I have mentioned previously the condition  synesthesia and persons ... synesthetes.   My first encounter was reading Nabokov's Speak Memory  a fascinating encounter at about 30 years old.  It was (is)  a color  connection among mental stimulae https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia  

Nabokov shared the sense with his mother,  but the color / letter correspondences were not entirely the same between them, e.g.,  if she had green  for one letter he might have blue or violet.   

So my take on the color is that it is not necessarily the same for all sensate beings.  And in some cases there is NO correspondence in across senses.   FPCH  is rich in sensations of body, mind and healing and combinations of these processes, it is rich to have cross sensate events or relations. I admire the creative ability of players here to describe and relate to these phenomena in whatever terms come to them.    BUT in my opinion it is not required to reach ever richer value of the FPCH practice for an individual.  And the breath,  heart and health benefits are incredible on their own.

Edited by ridingtheox
tense of verb
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this the other day - if someone totally unfamiliar with Chinese religion and deities, let's say, for example, a devout European Christian, were to practice the FP meditations regularly, I wonder if they would find themselves connecting to Mary, or possibly Christ in his compassionate aspect? Or would they find themselves connecting to deities they've never seen or heard of before? Outside of historical questions of the source of the meditations, I wonder how much of these deity associations are set in stone, and how much is us projecting our personal archetypal personifications onto certain energies?

Of course at the end of the day, what matters is that the meditations work, and I don't think anyone who's tried them would debate that :P But it's interesting to think about.

Speaking of which, I've been finding the last week or so that the meditations have been making me very tired after practising. My theory is that this is the FP Qi boosting the body's natural healing systems, since I'm still recovering from a nasty and prolonged bout of the flu, but on some days it becomes an issue, because I can't always afford to take a nap right after doing my morning session, so I decided to take a crack at MSW3 (the waker-upper). And, well, it's definitely living up to it's reputation... I only did 4 rounds, as I always do when trying a meditation for the first time, and instead of feeling tired, I've got a nice boost to my energy levels. Followed by a 20 minute MHPearl and a quick 8 Sections Combined from the 5th DVD. Perfect way to start the day, beats coffee or nasty energy drinks by a long shot :) Also an interesting testament to the reproducible nature of the effects from the FP meditations. 

On 31/07/2017 at 1:21 AM, abdahorn said:

not quoting anything - post box is bugged out and won't let me delete this.

• Like 2

So  Aeran  I am certain i am not your model devout european christian, however I am a Quaker ... Religious Society of Friends ..

so out of the Jesus school is how I think of myself.   Currently I am daily reading a verse of the Tao Te Chinh (today 18th) Lao Tzu.

FP  certainly works for me.   I am 76 do Tjq  5 times a week with a small class in the desert ... Arizona.   

Today i just completed the long form meditation 36 + minutes.   I keep aiming at 40 but so far seem to have hit a mesa (SW Arizona ...plateau).  

Peace among all  beings.  Sanctuary ...

ridingtheox

• Like 1

try this:

go to sifu's youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlVGrCW0QqI

it is 10 min duration  on the control reset the speed to 0.75 or 0.5

it will be in mirror image,  but try it ...  obviously it is eyes open also  

i found it to be quite stimulating ...

of course you should do the breathing schedule 

at regular speed it also works  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 7:52 PM, taoguy said:

I just read/heard this from a highly-cultivated person.

Devas (of desire or form heavens) possess bodies composed out of Shen (therefore called Shens or "Demi-gods"), and Shen can control "lesser bodies" beneath the "Yin-Shen" body. Therefore, devas or Brahmas or Buddhas all have the power to influence our "lesser bodies".

Therefore in meditation, we open up channels and then these beings with "higher bodies" help out by infusing divine energy into our bodies. They also raise the yin or yang chi in the body by making us hallucinate. For example, fear reactions are induced to bring up the yin chi, while inspirational reactions like seeing the image of a Buddha are induced to bring up yang chi. The many 'delusions' are the devas doing "experiments" on us.

So there are five attainments in total: Human eyes, Deva eyes, Prajna eyes, Dharma eyes and Buddha eyes. Corresponding to the eyes, we have the bodies. So Buddha-kaya/Xian-tian-qi/Sambhogakaya > Hou-tian-qi body > Mental Body > Sensation Body > Physical Body in the hierarchy of influence.

I suspect FPQG deals with the building of the "Sensation Body" to create a 'heaven on earth' by creating a deva body within our physical flesh, which is stream-entry. Please correct me if I'm wrong. We need the hou-tian-qi to really pry our mental body from the physical flesh that is made out of Shen, which is when a person becomes an Arahant (8th bodhisattva bhumi).

I'm really grateful to have stumbled on these teachings and it does feel like some power is infusing divine energy into me while I practise. What did I do to deserve this?? So blessed, and wishing fellow FPQG practitioners well.

Hi Winston,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the expansive effects of FP Qigong and that you are feeling an infusion of divine energy each time that you practice.  Flying Phoenix Qigong has the potential to make one very high-functioning in many respects and dimensions.

Here are some comments, questions, tips and advice in response to the various statements in your posting (in bold):

Devas (of desire or form heavens) possess bodies composed out of Shen (therefore called Shens or "Demi-gods"), and Shen can control "lesser bodies" beneath the "Yin-Shen" body. 

What is the "Yin-Shen" body?

Therefore, devas or Brahmas or Buddhas all have the power to influence our "lesser bodies".

ONLY if we let them by asking/inviting them to do so.  ( btw, "deva" in Sanskrit is the root for both English words "divine" and "devil.")

There are many ways to describe the expansion of human consciousness and development of spiritual potential.  Be careful in using the language and terms of another, especially if you have not experienced the phenomena and realities represented by those specific terms.

Remember:  words are NOT things;  only the thing is thing.   The map is NOT the territory.

Therefore in meditation, we open up channels and then these beings with "higher bodies" help out by infusing divine energy into our bodies. 

You can describe your general meditative experience beyond the physiological effects-- in terms of this “higher” aspect. You are certainly free to believe in this process that you’ve described.  But belief in this process of spiritual intermediaries facilitating the infusion of divine energy and delivery of health benefits is not necessary.  As I’ve stated throughout this discussion thread, Flying Phoenix Qigong works without any form of visualization, mental imaging, or any kind of thought-process whatsoever.  As long as one does the breath-control sequences and the exactly corresponding posture or posture-and-movements of the FP Qigong System, one will derive the full healing and lasting health benefits and spiritual attunement of this Qigong system, regardless of what one does or where one goes with his mind.

They also raise the yin or yang chi in the body by making us hallucinate. For example, fear reactions are induced to bring up the yin chi, while inspirational reactions like seeing the image of a Buddha are induced to bring up yang chi.  

If you wish to believe this, beware of abrogating your responsibility to maintain imperturbable focus and supreme concentration in meditation and responsibility for one's own cultivation and development--by attributing experiences as being caused by as yet unexperienced and therefore abstract entities, "beings with higher bodies.” 

THE ONLY REAL TRUTH IS THE EXPERIENCED TRUTH.

The many 'delusions' are the devas doing "experiments" on us.

What did the highly cultivated source say and write were the kinds of “experiments” that these devas are doing?   "Deva experimentation" may be true for a minuscule, infinitesimal percentage of meditators experiencing “delusions”.  The vast majority of delusions experienced in meditative state and carried into waking life are egomaniacal, have only to do a person’s psychology, his/her ignorance of the self, his or her false and perverse beliefs, and have nothing to do with devas.  Some Tibetan exorcistic hygienists, on the other hand, believe that 400+ demons within the body give rise to a myriad of delusions and diseases.  I don’t subscribe to that  system and it does not overlap with either of the two Taoist monastic traditions that I preserve--and one of them, Tao Tan Pai , is a complete exorcistic-martial tradition.

So there are five attainments in total: Human eyes, Deva eyes, Prajna eyes, Dharma eyes and Buddha eyes. Corresponding to the eyes, we have the bodies. So Buddha-kaya/Xian-tian-qi/Sambhogakaya > Hou-tian-qi body > Mental Body > Sensation Body > Physical Body in the hierarchy of influence.

If you or the source you are quoting say so.  Five stages of spiritual evolution is what this highly cultivated source expounds.  This a spiritual map that he finds useful to guide others.  It is not absolute reality.  To understand that the map is not the territory, read Alfred J. Korzybsky’s “Science and Sanity” (1931) two times.  It will condition you to keep your mind attentive to the reality of the Infinite Event and not to attach to --believe in-- lower and lower and lower levels of linguistic abstraction that get farther and farther and farther away from Reality they are trying to describe.  Then you will never confuse symbol with reality…and you can open and lead your own Zen (Chan) monastery.  

(I personally operate with two levels of spiritual development:  mortal and immortal.)

You are free to use this 5-stage framework of "hierarchy of influence"  if it pleases you and helps you understand the yogic development rendered by the FP Qigong.  Just make sure that the map fit the territory. 

fyi, I do not believe in nor operate in terms of a “Mental Body” or "Sensation Body”.  Those terms are arid abstractions to me and totally meaningless  based on my experience.  Nor do I know what the Hou-Tian-Qi Body is.  Post-Heaven Energy.  Tell me what that is and I will tell you if that energy has a Body that I’ve experienced it and is thus something I can utilize or connect with.

I suspect FPQG deals with the building of the "Sensation Body" to create a 'heaven on earth' by creating a deva body within our physical flesh, which is stream-entry. 

What do you mean by "stream-entry”?!  or what does your source mean by this term?

Feeling FP Qigong’s transformative effects can be described as experiencing a divine energy within one’s body and that blissful transcendent feeling can be described as experiencing "heaven-on-earth".  Or sensing divinity within the body.  Or what early Buddhist scriptures described as “touching nirvana with one’s body."

Please correct me if I'm wrong. We need the hou-tian-qi to really pry our mental body from the physical flesh that is made out of Shen, which is when a person becomes an Arahant (8th bodhisattva brume).  

Wrong in on two counts:

A:   You are subscribing to a semantic construct that has nothing to do with FP Qigong practice and its yogic development.  I have no idea what you are talking about in your “We need the hou-tian-qi…” sentence:

hou-tian-qi doesn’t pry mental body from physical flesh.   [But a good psychotherapist might.]

physical flesh is not made of Shen in my book of experience or in my speculations.

B:    NO.  You only need to the FP Qigong meditations correctly and then use its healing energies do enough Good Works in your lifetime through personal sacrifice and devotion to the good or to God in order to become an Arahant or 8th bodhisattva, a teacher of men and gods.

I'm really grateful to have stumbled on these teachings and it does feel like some power is infusing divine energy into me while I practise. What did I do to deserve this?? So blessed, and wishing fellow FPQG practitioners well.

I wish you well.  But keep it simple!!   Do NOT attribute what you do not understand yet (but are feeling) to external symbolic abstractions created by someone else.  Because the divine power is inherent within you.  But you will miss this simple and all-essential TRUTH  if you get lost in the symbols of someone else's ramblings that you have no experiential basis for understanding.

The vitalities of heaven and earth, sun and moon,

Are fundamentally inherent in our bodies.

If reality and consciousness do not stray from each other,

Creation is always in the palm of your hand.

—Chan Po-Tuan

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-2.html

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

On 8/15/2017 at 9:58 AM, Aeran said:

Ditto - I wonder what the chance of a global workshop tour down the road is... ;)

Edit: That bridge is incredible :o It looks like something out of a Star Wars movie...

L0_0644_0382_Bridge-1.jpg

Bridge-2.jpg

L0_0644_0382_Bridge-5.jpg

I'm usually down on a lot of modern architecture, but that's a genuine work of art. Damn.

Reveal hidden contents

(Nothing in here, the DB formatting is just bugged out)

Indeed, it is a fabulous work of functional art.

This is nice article about Haim's creation of the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge: 

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/building-the-worlds-longest-glass-bridge

This is a beautiful video of people enjoying this footbridge for the first time after its opening last spring:

• So pleased to have visionary architect-poet Haim Dotan as a Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop initiate and latest devotee!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-2.html

Edited by zen-bear

On 9/5/2017 at 6:45 AM, ridingtheox said:

tonight's long form 37 minutes ... broke a sweat early and continuously to the end,   also i have a strong sense of 

'gauntlet'  about 2 inches above wrist point wrapping both forearms almost the entire form  ... very satisfying energy altho without any color visualization tonight.   This is not my longest form practice,  but close to the 39 min  ... performed against Philip Glass Metamorphoses   

i will be reading I Ching ...

peace to all sentient beings

OK, having heard what ridingtheox has kindly shared with me in his reply on the subject, I would now like to open the question up to anyone else who would care to answer:

Have any of those currently learning/practicing the Volume 4 long form meditation reached a point at which they find it impossible to maintain the same very slow pace in specific parts of the form? If so, what strategies are you using to surmount these temporary difficulties? 

Sifu Terry: Do you advocate speeding up the rest of the form until the difficult parts can be performed at the same pace when the entire form is slowed down, or is it preferable to practice the part which presents difficulties in isolation from the rest of the form, and would you advise doing so with the eyes open until sufficient strength, stamina, equilibrium and confidence are acquired? 

Given that the section of the form with which I am experiencing the most difficulty seems to be caused by trying to maintain balance while standing on one leg (Crane stance) at such a slow pace, keeping the eyes shut, what strategy do you recommend to enable one to overcome this difficulty and move smoothly through the entire form?

Is it perhaps a better idea to narrow the stance further in the previous movement, in order to make it easier to come up into the cat stance?

A further more technical question:

In the penultimate movement of the form:

Currently I believe that the now refined Qi is condensed between the two hands, then as the left-hand crosses over the right and forms the Earth mudra over the LDT the process is completed. However I am unclear whether one needs to swallow the saliva in three gulps beforehand, as in other Neigong systems, and if so, precisely at which point in that series of movements? Or am I mistaken, and the saliva should only be swallowed at the very end of the form, before the third and final exhalation?

Hi ridingtheox. I confess I am hesitant to ask anything further on this thread, given that my questions from months ago addressed to Sifu Dunn still remain unanswered, and I was therefore made to feel and look like a complete charlatan (not to mention loss of face in MA terms) for my claims regarding the pace at which I perform the moving meditations...hence my absence from the thread over the past few months. BTW, those who take the time and trouble to get to know me know that I do not intentionally lie, although I have on occasion been given to exaggeration, and for what it's worth, I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, rather than simply ignoring and alienating them as members of this forum have done with me...

However, that aside, I have reached a plateau in my training, and seeing as you say you have reached the stage of being able to perform the Volume 4 long form at the pace of shifting sand dunes (kudos to you for that!) I would like to specifically address some questions to you personally if I may, although I would also welcome advice from anyone else whose practice approaches that level. 

I learned the long form from the videos posted to Youtube, but I am having difficulty with some of the movements, specifically when attempting to perform them at the same pace as the rest of the form, which is to say at the speed of a shifting sand dune.

The most difficult movement for me is the series of movements which begin in cat stance, raising the left leg in crane stance with snake hands then blocking downward with the left hand and striking forward with a palm strike, presumably to the chest. 

So my questions are:

1. How did you go about practicing this series of movements in order to achieve the same pace as the rest of the movements of the form? 

2. Is it better to perform the entire form at the pace at which you are able to manage the movements with which you are experiencing difficulty, or just persevere until the pace of those movements can keep up with the pace of the rest of the form?

I feel sure that my difficulties arise from maintaining balance while the eyes are shut at this point in the form, as I have no difficulty achieving the required pace with my eyes open. So how do you suggest overcoming this particular hurdle?

3. Another movement I find difficult to perform at that pace is the section in which you bend down and grasp the earth Qi and raise it to chest level. I find that I simply do not have the physical strength to perform this movement at the same pace as the rest of the form without shaking, despite the fact that this does not occur in performing Bending the bows, however slowly I do the form. I imagine that eventually practicing Bending the bows will provide the necessary strength and stamina?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to read this and reply.

Edited by DSCB57
Addition of further comments
  • Like 2

"As I’ve stated throughout this discussion thread, Flying Phoenix Qigong works without any form of visualization, mental imaging, or any kind of thought-process whatsoever.  As long as one does the breath-control sequences and the exactly corresponding posture or posture-and-movements of the FP Qigong System, one will derive the full healing and lasting health benefits and spiritual attunement of this Qigong system, regardless of what one does or where one goes with his mind."  -- Sifu Terry Dunn

This is what I so love about Flying Phoenix Ch'i Kung.  ANYBODY can do it, whatever their culture or religion, and get the benefits. Kind of like rain falling from the sky, or the sun shining. FP doesn't play favorites!   :)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, zen-bear said:

A:   You are subscribing to a semantic construct that has nothing to do with FP Qigong practice and its yogic development.  I have no idea what you are talking about in your “We need the hou-tian-qi…” sentence:

hou-tian-qi doesn’t pry mental body from physical flesh.   [But a good psychotherapist might.]

physical flesh is not made of Shen in my book of experience or in my speculations.

B:    NO.  You only need to the FP Qigong meditations correctly and then use its healing energies do enough Good Works in your lifetime through personal sacrifice and devotion to the good or to God in order to become an Arahant or 8th bodhisattva, a teacher of men and gods.

Thank you for the correction Sifu Terry. I'll continue working on the forms and not presume things based off other systems. 

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

Hi!  Flying Phoenix is not only quite revivifying but also stimulating. Since I started it again, ideas, and images, and connections, have been coming to me--some of which I have posted here. It's not that any of them are "necessary", because FP works independently of ideas and images; but they are "frosting on the cake", for me on my personal alchemy path.

So lately the I CHING has been coming up (or coming down...or coming through!) a lot for me. I keep finding or remembering various Hexagrams that, I think, are also "activation codes."  I'll be watching and waiting to see how they activate in my life and my spirit.

Yesterday and today I've been thinking of the two Hexagrams that have to do with multiplication. I'll share what's coming to me today for any of you who have an affinity with the I CHING. If you don't, just skip over it, as it may not be useful to you! 

I saw the two Hexagrams #42 "Increase" and #55 "Abundance" arrange themselves (from below upwards, as is traditional) like so:

Iching-hexagram-55.svg

Iching-hexagram-42.svg

There's an alchemical progression here:  The first (solid) Yang line meets 3 (broken) Yin lines which multiply it into 2 Yang lines.  Those 2 Yang lines then represent themselves in the next, upper Hexagram as 1 Yang line, meeting 1 Yin line, causing a multiplication of 2 Yang and 2 Yin.

So--multiplication and then multiplication of multiplication!

This is just how I (partially, I'm sure) perceive the two Hexagrams in this energetic arrangement--there are many ways of looking at the Hexagrams, of course!

So to get (meditatively) practical....We all support Sifu Dunn in his work to expand and increase, and multiply, the teaching and practice of FP. It's a work to benefit others as well as ourselves. We all want to facilitate Sifu's release on video of everything FP-related that can be safely released on video, and additionally his personal teaching of meditations that require personal teaching for safety reasons--as well as his personal coaching for finer points of the video-released meditations.  

We want opportunities to 益 (yì) increase   and  豐 (fēng) abound  for Sifu Dunn to teach FP to more people on video and in person. We want, in general, real Ch'i Kung to be made available to more people, as opposed to watered-down, dumbed-down "ch'i kung" or "qigong".

And now that I have the 12-pointed double-hexagram star, I can place each solid or broken line (moving from bottom lines to top lines of the Hexagrams, first ䷩ and then ䷶) around that star, starting at the top point of the star and proceeding clockwise around the points--with the Purple Rose inside, of course, to further empower the whole matrix.

So I'm sharing this I CHING thoughtform, maybe even activation code, to help energize this multiplication of FP teaching and practicing, through Sifu and others he will train to teach.   It's an extremely important Tao-Te (Dao-De, "Way-Power") that will help so many people.

And aside from these visual meditations here, which only a few will relate to, most important is to just practice FP and let its Energy permeate you and everyone around you. That way we may eventually reach that "hundredth monkey" explosion of Flying Phoenix Energy in and through and between-and-among humankind!  :) 

P.S. The He He Er Xian, the Twin Boy Immortals, as well as sponsoring happy marriages, are also considered to sponsor commerce, i.e., interactions of mutual benefit and profit.  So let's ask the Twin Immortals to prosper the spread of Flying Phoenix Ch'i Kung. They are consummate Multipliers!

Starting at the top point of the Star and going down clockwise ("12 to 5 o'clock", you might say), the lines for Hexagrams YI can be visualized, or recited as:

Yang - Yin - Yin - Yin - Yang - Yang

Then starting at the bottom point of the Star and proceeding on up, still clockwise ("6 to 11 o'clock"), the lines of Hexagram FENG are:

Yang - Yin - Yang - Yang - Yin - Yin

double hexagram rose small.jpg

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2017 at 11:37 AM, Songshou said:

Hi!  Flying Phoenix is not only quite revivifying but also stimulating. Since I started it again, ideas, and images, and connections, have been coming to me--some of which I have posted here. It's not that any of them are "necessary", because FP works independently of ideas and images; but they are "frosting on the cake", for me on my personal alchemy path.

So lately the I CHING has been coming up (or coming down...or coming through!) a lot for me. I keep finding or remembering various Hexagrams that, I think, are also "activation codes."  I'll be watching and waiting to see how they activate in my life and my spirit.

Yesterday and today I've been thinking of the two Hexagrams that have to do with multiplication. I'll share what's coming to me today for any of you who have an affinity with the I CHING. If you don't, just skip over it, as it may not be useful to you! 

I saw the two Hexagrams #42 "Increase" and #55 "Abundance" arrange themselves (from below upwards, as is traditional) like so:

Iching-hexagram-55.svg

Iching-hexagram-42.svg

There's an alchemical progression here:  The first (solid) Yang line meets 3 (broken) Yin lines which multiply it into 2 Yang lines.  Those 2 Yang lines then represent themselves in the next, upper Hexagram as 1 Yang line, meeting 1 Yin line, causing a multiplication of 2 Yang and 2 Yin.

So--multiplication and then multiplication of multiplication!

This is just how I (partially, I'm sure) perceive the two Hexagrams in this energetic arrangement--there are many ways of looking at the Hexagrams, of course!

So to get (meditatively) practical....We all support Sifu Dunn in his work to expand and increase, and multiply, the teaching and practice of FP. It's a work to benefit others as well as ourselves. We all want to facilitate Sifu's release on video of everything FP-related that can be safely released on video, and additionally his personal teaching of meditations that require personal teaching for safety reasons--as well as his personal coaching for finer points of the video-released meditations.  

We want opportunities to 益 (yì) increase   and  豐 (fēng) abound  for Sifu Dunn to teach FP to more people on video and in person. We want, in general, real Ch'i Kung to be made available to more people, as opposed to watered-down, dumbed-down "ch'i kung" or "qigong".

And now that I have the 12-pointed double-hexagram star, I can place each solid or broken line (moving from bottom lines to top lines of the Hexagrams, first ䷩ and then ䷶) around that star, starting at the top point of the star and proceeding clockwise around the points--with the Purple Rose inside, of course, to further empower the whole matrix.

So I'm sharing this I CHING thoughtform, maybe even activation code, to help energize this multiplication of FP teaching and practicing, through Sifu and others he will train to teach.   It's an extremely important Tao-Te (Dao-De, "Way-Power") that will help so many people.

And aside from these visual meditations here, which only a few will relate to, most important is to just practice FP and let its Energy permeate you and everyone around you. That way we may eventually reach that "hundredth monkey" explosion of Flying Phoenix Energy in and through and between-and-among humankind!  :) 

P.S. The He He Er Xian, the Twin Boy Immortals, as well as sponsoring happy marriages, are also considered to sponsor commerce, i.e., interactions of mutual benefit and profit.  So let's ask the Twin Immortals to prosper the spread of Flying Phoenix Ch'i Kung. They are consummate Multipliers!

double hexagram rose small.jpg

Songshou,

Thank you for your beautiful 12-pointed matrix with Purple Rose of Virgo at the center and your explanation of how you came to create this lovely Power talisman.

And thank you for sharing your inspired I Ching correlations to your practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong and your explanation of Hexagram 42 Increase and 55 Abundance focussed on proliferating the teachers of FP Qigong through not just me and my workshop programs and the DVD series, but by a new generation of teachers that is developing nicely.   And at a good rate of progress, I am pleased to say.  One of my remote Skype students in the midwest is about to start learning the first of 9 advanced standing Flying Phoenix meditations.  At any rate, I am taking your casting of Hexagrams 42 and 55 as prophecy.  The timing of which can be understood as starting in the time of the Gentel and the Arousing, or Winds and Thunder (42)--5 hurricanes, duh-- and culminating in a time of Clarity and the ArousalLight (or Fire) and Thunder (55).

Your discussion of how you created a twelve pointed star is a good reminder to all of the exponential power when one meditates upon and operates through the Star of David, which is in actuality--for those who have not figured this out yet-- the flattened 2-dimensional version of the Tai Chi Tu (Yin-Yang Diagram.  This identicalness is a  lesson I teach graphically  towards the end all my workshops at some point to prove that the Ultimate Reality is perceived as the same thing by all yogic cultures but only expressed and represented differently.  And it also definitively explains why Jewish people love Chinese food!

For those who have resonance with the I Ching, note the basic Judgment of Increase is premised on clear self-awareness.

Wind and thunder: the image of INCREASE.
	Thus the superior man:
	If he sees good, he imitates it;
	If he has faults, he rids himself of them.

Flying Phoenix Qigong can be in invaluable discipline to help one stay on one's "Path with Heart" (a la Castaneda) throughout a lifetime.  A discipline to practice to exorcise oneself of "faults"...

...which will prevent error and thus manifest "Abundance" (Fullness):

ABUNDANCE has success.
	  The king attains abundance.
	  Be not sad.
	  Be like the sun at midday.

--i.e., enjoy the fruits of practicing FP Qigong and  radiate with FP energy, as you claim more and more of the Totality of Oneself.

Note also that the moving lines causing (42) Increase to change into (55) Abundance are the third, fourth, fifth, and top positions.

Good practicing to all.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Tales of Power cover(1x1)72.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zen-bear said:

"Your discussion of how you created a twelve pointed star is a good reminder to all of the exponential power when one meditates upon and operates through the Star of David..."

It may sound like nit-picking, but I'd just like to point out that the 'The Star of David' is a misnomer. This example of Sacred Geometry is actually the Seal of Solomon, which, as a student of the occult I am sure you knew, however I feel it is important to use the correct terminology for the benefit of those who are here to learn....:)

• Like 3

OK, having heard what ridingtheox has kindly shared with me in his reply on the subject, I would now like to open the question up to anyone else who would care to answer:

Have any of those currently learning/practicing the Volume 4 long form meditation reached a point at which they find it impossible to maintain the same very slow pace in specific parts of the form? If so, what strategies are you using to surmount these temporary difficulties? 

Sifu Terry: Do you advocate speeding up the rest of the form until the difficult parts can be performed at the same slow pace when the entire form is slowed down, or is it preferable to practice the part which presents difficulties in isolation from the rest of the form at whatever pace one can achieve, and would you advise doing so with the eyes open until sufficient strength, stamina, equilibrium and confidence are acquired? 

Given that the section of the form with which I am experiencing the most difficulty seems to be caused by trying to maintain balance while standing on one leg (Crane stance, snake hands) at such a slow pace, keeping the eyes shut, what strategy do you recommend to enable one to overcome this difficulty and move smoothly through the entire form?

In the previous movement, is it perhaps a better idea to narrow the stance further in the previous movement, in order to make it easier to come up into the cat stance?

My present strategy consists of practicing the difficult parts both within the form and in isolation, and at times practicing the entire form at whatever pace I can maintain the more problematic sections. At times I practice the section in isolation as slowly as possible with my eyes open, then close my eyes and try and continue at the same pace. When I practice the entire form at a very slow pace, apart from the sections which I find difficult, it feels wrong - the flow is interrupted and everything feels out of kilter...

A further more technical question regarding the Neidan alchemical process:

In the penultimate movement of the form:

Currently , I believe that the now refined Qi is condensed between the two hands, then as the left-hand crosses over the right and forms the Earth mudra over the LDT the process is completed. However I am unclear whether one needs to swallow the saliva in three gulps beforehand, as in other Neigong systems, and if so, precisely at which point in that series of movements? Or am I mistaken, and the saliva should only be swallowed at the very end of the form, before the third and final exhalation?

Thank you to those who take the time and trouble to answer. 

Edited by DSCB57
failure to correctly link to previous post

Hi Sifu Terry!

I have long been fascinated by correspondences between Chinese and Kabbalist teachings.  For example, I'm sure there's a way (not sure if anyone has fully intuited it yet) to correlate the 64 Hexagrams with the 32 Paths (x 2) of the Tree of Life.

One matrix I did notice is how one could place the 81 Tetragrams (which were used and given names by Yang Xiong in his Tai Xuan Jing, but are very much older than that treatise or those names) on the Tree of Life. In this matrix, you see Keter as Above (or Before) manifestation; then the 9 Sefirot below it multiply 9 x 9 with one another. [Daat is Beyond manifestation, in another dimension.] 

So, seeing the Pillar of Force as Tian (Heaven), the Pillar of Form as Di (Earth), and the Pillar of Equilibrium as Ren (Human), we get these Bigrams, since I've read that the Tetragrams, and their Bigrams, are read from top down according to tradition:

[I'm not using the line graphs this time--much as I like them visually--because of an Internet controversy voiced by a few over the once-broken and twice-broken lines--which is Di and which is Ren? None of them refer in their arguments to the original, primary source Chinese, and I would think the Chinese text of the Tai Xuan Jing should have the correct correlation and settle the whole matter. :) In any case all recent standard articles I've found at this point state:  

_____  Tian,  

__  __  Di

_  _  _  Ren.  

Also see Reference Note Below.]

Hokhmah:  

Tian

Tian  

Binah:      

Di

Di

Hesed:    

Tian

Di

Gevurah:      

Di

Tian

Tiferet:      

Ren

Ren

Netzah:      

Tian

Ren

Hod:       

Di

Ren

Yesod:      

Ren

Tian 

Malkhut:      

Ren

Di

To give 3 examples out of the 81:

The Tetragram for Malkhut by itself is the Bigram doubled:

Ren

Di

Ren

Di

The Tetragram for Hesed energy leading, Malkhut energy following (so to speak) is:

Tian

Di

Ren

Di

in contrast to Malkhut leading, Hesed following (perhaps Malkhut Yang, Hesed Yin--where each of the Sefirot has both Yang and Yin potential depending on the Tetragram):

Ren

Di

Tian

Di

Kabbalah indicates that once the Sefirot emanate, they are equal partners with one another in manifestation; and that's why Kabbalists can talk of interactions of their energies in particular persons, groups, and situations. Somewhat the same as astrologers talk of interactions between the 12 zodiac signs.  So the 81 Tetragrams of the Sefirot would be 81 aspects of the "Holy Spirit" (or the "Nirmanakaya", in Buddhist terms).  Maybe, even, 81 possibilities for the "Fool" (0) after he walks off the cliff at the beginning of most Tarot decks? :) Fool Tarot Card Meanings tarot card meaning 

Anyway, this is just one of many such Chinese/Jewish correspondences (or potential correspondences!), and just my personal take on one aspect. And there are many angles here that I haven't mentioned or even noticed.  Certainly the Taoist Heaven/Earth/Human (Tian/Di/Ren) matrix has connections also with the Kabbalist 3 Mother Letters (Shin/Mem/Aleph) and 3 Father Letters (Yud/Hey/Vav), with some differences of emphasis such as Element attributions. Same threefold idea, though!

P.S. Maybe the "Tetragram of the Hour" here (for the prospering of FP teaching and practice) would be:

Tian

Ren

Ren

Di

which I see as Netzah--->Malkhut.   :)  (Maybe those 2 Ren lines are even the Twin Immortals multiplying and prospering the whole endeavor :):), haha, hehe, bringing it from Tian to Di, from Heaven to Earth.)

P.S. (5 days later)  I'm now starting to compare the names for the Tetragrams given by Yang Xiong in his Tai Xuan Jing, taking care to use the most recent articles and charts, and scholarship, with what I can intuit by placing them on the Kabbalist Tree of Life. I already see some interesting correspondences.

....By the way, a paragraph above I previously spoke of "the Twin Immortals multiplying and prospering the whole endeavor."  I just discovered (coming back to revise my post some days after writing it) that the Tian/Ren/Ren/Di Tetragram is called:

𝌟

Endeavor

:):) 

NOTE:  http://www.unicode.org/wg2/docs/n2988.pdf   (quotes original Chinese)

Edited by Songshou

On 6/29/2017 at 4:52 AM, phil said:

I found an interesting text about Fung Doe Duk and the Doo-Family called 

"The History of Grandmaster Doo Wai's Lineage."

Reveal hidden contents

For thousands of years, the Chinese people have used their own systems of healing for maintaining good health. Sadly, many of the ancient Chinese healing practices were forgotten over time or lost during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. However, White Tiger Kung Fu (Bak Fu Pai) is rare knowledge that has been passed from generation to generation since 1644 A.D., starting with Fung Doe Duk and ending with the sixth-generation Grandmaster, Doo Wai of the family-inherited Bak Fu Pai system of Southern Chinese Kung Fu.
Fung Doe Duk
Fung Doe Duk was a high-ranking teacher in the Shil Lum Temple located in the Fukien Province of China. After the monks participation in the fall of the Ming Dynasty, the Qing Dynasty emperor, fearful of rebellion, burned many temples, including the Fukien Shil Lum Temple. Those who managed to escape included one master nun and four master monks, including Fung Doe Duk. Upon escaping from the burning and total destruction of the Fukien Shil Lum Temple, Fung Doe Duk broke his ties from Shil Lum so as to remain hidden from the Qing Dynasty emperor and be safe from the bounty placed on his head. If Fung Doe Duk had been captured by the Qing Emperor, there would have been no White Tiger Kung Fu today. Fortunately, Doo Tin Yin provided Fung Doe Duk with refuge.
Doo Tin Yin
Doo Tin Yin was the sole holder of the Doo family's healing art, which was 3,000 years in the making. Its roots, embedded in ancient Chinese folk culture, were built upon, allowing Doo Tin Yin eventually to serve as the emperors personal physician. Risking his life and the life of his family, Doo Tin Yin gave Fung Doe Duk refuge in his home.
In exchange for his life and freedom, Fung Doe Duk passed his knowledge to Doo Tin Yin as the first generation Doo family-inherited grandmaster of the White Tiger Kung Fu system of martial arts.
Because of Doo Tin Yin's great influence as a high ranking official, he was able to arrange Fung Doe Duk's admittance into the O'mei Mountain Daoist temples in the Chinese Sichuan Province. Here, Fung Doe Duk gained a wealth of knowledge about ancient Daoist internal arts, healing, and self preservation. As a Daoist monk, Fung Doe Duk traveled for many years throughout remote China mastering and collecting fighting and healing skills from numerous tribes and villages. Fung Doe Duk combined and perfected this collected knowledge to create his awesome ultra-internal system of kung fu called White Tiger.
Six generations later, Grandmaster Doo Wai has decided to make his family-inherited White Tiger Kung Fu art available to the public. It is his wish that his family’s precious healing and martial arts knowledge be offered to those who wish to increase their quality of life and kung fu skills. The White Tiger Kung Fu system is an all encompassing approach to healing and preservation involving herbal nutrition and internal energy cultivation that the Daoist were so famous for!.
What is White Tiger Kung Fu?
White Tiger Kung Fu, or Bak Fu Pai in Cantonese, is a southern Chinese internal martial art.
Also known as "The Emperor's Art," White Tiger Kung Fu has been passed down through the Doo family for nearly 400 years. The Doo family served as the right hand to Chinese emperors, and their security force protected the emperor during feudal times. They were responsible for both the emperor's physical safety as well as his health and well-being.
Believed to have been lost in the 1800's, Bak Fu Pai is still around today. It was said, " the only time someone saw the White Tiger system was just before death." Considered one of the most secretive, mysterious, and deadly arts in the world, White Tiger has recently been made available to the public through the current grandmaster's certified instructors.

https://www.facebook.com/Shifu.Wael.Al.Asadi/photos/a.453741338054011.1073741843.227532177341596/453741871387291/

edit:

And here is a text by GM Doo Wai about how Fang Doe Duk received the meditations

http://tibetan.tripod.com/ch-phoen.htm

edit2:

For maybe 2 weeks I feel energy at the laogongs the whole day. It increases especially when doing Bending the Bows or the MSW-Meditations and it really starts tingling there, but even when I am doing nothing or just walking at the street I feel the energy in my palms. I like it, because it appears to me that when I focus on the energy sensations in my hands it has kind of a grounding, calming effect and also increases my energy level. 

Hello Phil,  

Sorry for taking so, so long--all this time to finally see your post.  I had missed it when you had first posted it.  

I am posting the following  excerpts from a (copyrighted) draft of my forthcoming book on FP Qigong  because I feel it's about time to make this point because you have posted David Sorensen's transcription of Grandmaster Doo Wai's oral teaching about the source of Feng Do Duk's knowledge of FP Qigong.

I had read this transcription a long time ago.  It conforms to the verbal account that GM Doo Wai gave me in 1991--except that his account was more general back then.  Lacking were details such as the gold and silver throne that carried the goddess down to earth and how close the deity was to Feng Do Duk.  GM Doo Wai told me that Taoist monk Feng Do Duk received a visitation from a heavenly goddess while he was meditating.  (Of course, an advanced yogin like Feng Do Duk is of such high consciousness that he was probably always in meditation--whether he was walking, standing, seated, or sleeping.)

He was told that this group of meditations would greatly benefit the health of mankind. She also told him that these are sacred meditations, and it was not for everybody.

She told him that people that were evil, sinful, or dishonest would be rejected by the meditations, and they will not be benefited by them.

Assuming that David Sorensen's transcription is an accurate one:   I found this part of the grandmaster's account most interesting and significant because it states  fundamental characteristics or operative features of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system that have been proven out by my experience over now 24 years of teaching it.  FP Qigong indeed does not work for (will not impart health and healing to) those who are evil, wicked and who do harm to others.  Over the course of teaching FP Qigong starting in 1993 (to the study group of advanced martial artists  that I had organized around him and at first GM Doo Wai's supervision), I have definitely observed that indeed FP Qigong does not work for everybody.   And those for whom FP Qigong have no salient effect are not just evil-doers:  I can say with absolute certainty that those who are so ego-centric, selfish, dishonest, and ungodly in their worldview--or so given over onto increasing their mundane sensual pleasures--such that they cannot exhibit universal or brotherly love, are, first of all,  not interested in FP Qigong, and should they somehow experience the Flying Phoenix Healing Qi through a little practice or through a healing infusion of the Qi,  they are at first temporarily "de-lighted" by the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qi, but then they quickly shirk it off because they feel on the cellular level how fine and sublime and penetrating the energy is and their coarsely sensual, dense, greedy nature and "all-about-me" neuro-linguistic program (mentality) simply finds it contrary to them and so causes them to consciously ignore IT. Interestingly, they don't poo-poo it or scoff at IT.  But they do spurn It.   Even the most dense ego-maniacs cannot help but take note and acknowledge the very strong instance of real and deep healing they've experienced, but then they quickly ignore it and move on to something else that suits their ego-structure and that does not threaten it.  This incongruence or SPLIT in their personality is always interesting to see!  And I've seen a good deal of it.

(B)   The yogic or alchemic-cultivational mechanism of Flying Phoenix Qigong AUTOMATICALLY SCREENS OUT and GETS RID OF evil people or borderline evil people.  if you are right for FP Qigong, you become a better person.  If you're not spiritually fit for learning FP Qigong, you quit and run away.   Evil people will not come near the FP Heavenly Healing Energy because they are either too dense and too stupid to recognize that tied to this tangible FP healing blissful energy at its very root is Universal Consciousness, or At-One-ment with the Infinite Event, or the Godhead, and out of subconscious fear of its viscerally enlightening, transformative power, they see no use for its practice.  Or else they are have dedicated themselves to Darkness, rebellion against the Light, and the destruction of humanity and of God's or Heaven's gift to mankind.  [Yes, there is very destructive evil in this world, and FP Qigong practice will fine tune and calibrate your radar to detect it in all its forms.]

However, if the person were good, the meditations would provide them with Mystical Heavenly self-healing positive energies so powerful that if he or she has a terminal illness the meditations will teach that person's body how to heal itself.  If the person is good, the meditations would not only heal them and provide them with perfect health, but it would allow them to have such positive energy within them that they could lay their hands on and heal others.

I would concur with these statements because after about 2 years of practicing FP Qigong, and after learning 3 powerful advanced FP Qigong Meditations (not part of the 9 Advanced FP standing meditations) and also perhaps catalyzed/ accelerated after learning another set of 3 advanced Bok Fu Pai meditations, one of which cultivates "the vacuum palm", I (accidentally at first) discovered that the tangible reserve of FP Healing Energy I had cultivated would at unpredictable times spontaneously jump off of me and into a person I was in proximity to for whom I had positive regard and concern.  I didn't have the volition to help and heal, I didn't have to focus or concentrate on healing the person at all.  The energy JUMPED OFF on its own accord via the slightest (accidental) touch and the recipient was instantly lit-up and discharged of pain, tension and many other symptoms, and would continue to radiate a healing glow for hours afterwards.   

BTW, one of my missions with FP Qigong is to mount rigorous scientific and medical research into its yogic mechanism in order to understand how it works in terms of western physiology.   So as to de-mystify the "Mystical Heavenly self-healing positive energies" that FP Qigong cultivates.

The Goddess explained to Fung Doe Duk that the human body is linked with the universe and every living thing on the Earth, including plants and animals and non-living things such as boulders, mountains, rocks, sand, and dirt. The clouds, skies, and the universe are linked to all of these things on Earth.  Heaven provided us with the solution to perfect health and longevity within our universe, within the plants, animals, and minerals that we share on this Earth.

This linkage to the Universe is actually FELT--DIRECTLY EXPERIENCED--through FP Qigong practice.  This isn't a philosophical concept or a mental construct but an actually experienced  continuity of Self with all life forms and forms of energy in the Universe.  Tied to this Qigong's healing blissful energy is Universal Consciousness;  it is a discipline to maintain constant At-One-ment with the Infinite Event, or Godhead...that enables one to live in harmony with all life on earth with an ecological wisdom cultivated on a cellular level.   ALL ONE HAS TO DO IS MEDITATE ENOUGH.  

Based on my experience, I know with absolute certainty that Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations is indeed a gift from Heaven to mankind.  May you all continue to prove to yourselves this sublime, awesome and humbling fact as you continue to enjoy this Qigong's healing effects and the expansion of your sense of Self.

Sifu Terence Dunn

Copyright 2017.  Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, DSCB57 said:

It may sound like nit-picking, but I'd just like to point out that the 'The Star of David' is a misnomer. This example of Sacred Geometry is actually the Seal of Solomon, which, as a student of the occult I am sure you knew, however I feel it is important to use the correct terminology for the benefit of those who are here to learn....:)

DSCB57:

https://www.thoughtco.com/star-of-david-2076778

The Star of David (also "Shield of David") is universally known as a hexagram composed of 2 equilateral triangles.  Known perhaps not to occultists and hermeticists--but to the general public for most of my 6 decades of life.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-hexagram-96041

The "Seal of Solomon" also often  denotes a pentagram but also can be composed of a triangle, also a square, also heptagram, 2 squares, almost any type of polygon it seems...and often denotes other non polygonal talismans:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcYMMy8FZwaQADAo2nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=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--?gprid=fRHVOQMnSXGUVpFpLUZmbA&pvid=K5AY4zIwNi4IeoSHWNapoQTANjkuNwAAAABMjHzE&p=seal+of+solomon&fr=yhs-Babylon-opti&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&hsimp=yhs-opti&hspart=Babylon

I prefer to continue to use the name "Star of David" as the popular name of a hexagram that can be seen as being composed of two equilateral triangles or can be seen as two inter-penetrating cones, a flattened sectioned version of the Tai Chi Tu, or Yin Yang diagram--because it is more precise. 

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.  I will get to answering your questions about speed of practicing Standing FP Long Form (vol.4) shortly.  My apologies.  I have been traveling a lot and am still catching up with earlier postings.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Thank you for your answer Zen-bear.

BTW I just woke up and your answer reminded me that last night I dreamt about your book. In my dream a friend read it and really liked it; I think he quoted a passage about breathing but I am not really sure with that, but what I can say is that the book was surrounded by a blue light and I could definitely feel this heavenly energy you talked about in your post and that I feel when doing the meditations. 

Edit: I think it was you answering me when I was sleeping that led to the dream about your book ;p instant connection :) 

BTW2: I also do some other non-fpck meditations that I really like and that have some effects on me, but I am always stunned when I change to the FPCK meditations how much fun they make. This feeling that I have when doing those FPCK meditations or even just thinking about doing them is a perfect expression of this underlying divine energy :)

Edited by phil
  • Like 4

just a practice update ... inspired by the eastover videos... i finally exceeded 40 min long form practice Tues morning!!!

Mirror image done very early in the morning ... the only interruption of the silence was the coyote's waking up,:ph34r:.

my previous day practice had been limited as we went to see  Walk with Me, documentary on Thich Nhat Hanh / Plum Village in Tucson..  So at the end of the day  I did  follow the youtube of Sifu Dunn long form ... 10 min version in mirror image. and followed that with "preparation for 8 sections combined" short form  (12 min ).  An d Tuesday morning at 4:30 am broke the 40 min barrier.   Since then i have done 36 min and 34 min right side/normal long form on Wed. and Thur.   On both days I have also done the five standing short form.   tomorrow I will be on the road to So Cal to see my grandsons so I may  not get to practice quite so seriously.  I continue to do my Tjq class and some 5 element qi gong.   I am trying to encourage my wife to up her commitment to qi gong now that she has good mastery of Tjq long and short forms.  She continues to have a slight tachycardia and Afib.  

enough  i have to pack for trip, prep car, and take time to feed the cows  ...

• Like 5

Hi Sifu Terry!

I like to do things in pairs, or couplets, so I came up with a prayer couplet for the Queen Mother of the West. I'm just sharing it as a gift of positive energy for your Work, okay? :)

Shi Yao Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu,

Shi Rao Yi Feng Xi Wang Mu

藥飛鳳西王母     

施饒益豐西王母     ䷊    ( Yi Feng)

The first line you already know, and it has the Hexagram for "Ascending."

The second line uses the one character "rao" that means both "wealth/abundance"; and "mercy, pardon."  And the "feng" is a different character, meaning "abundance" rather than "phoenix" as in the first line.  (For my meditation, I see "rao" as both "abundance of mercy" and "mercy of abundance"; or "abundant mercy" and "merciful abundance"!)

Also for the second line, the words "yi" and "feng" have their own Hexagrams #42 and #55. The overall Hexagram for the 2nd line and invocation--for my own meditation, anyway--is #11, "Harmony." Just as the Immortal Twins who bestow prosperous commerce (com-merce; as well as comm-unication, comm-union, con-jugal, con-gruent, etc.) are also bestowers of harmony:

Shi Xi Xi He He Er Xian

施曦喜和合二仙      

Hope this brings a smile to you, at least!   :)

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 5

Quick question about the Sleeper meditation ( MSW4: 50 - 20 - 10), are you supposed to put the hands on the knees at the end of each round and then bring them back up for the next one, or do you go straight from one round to the next from the Sky Meditation/"prayer hands" posture and then only rest the palms on the knees when ending the meditation?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Aeran said:

Quick question about the Sleeper meditation ( MSW4: 50 - 20 - 10), are you supposed to put the hands on the knees at the end of each round and then bring them back up for the next one, or do you go straight from one round to the next from the Sky Meditation/"prayer hands" posture and then only rest the palms on the knees when ending the meditation?

I personally put the hands on the knees at the end of each round to rest based on what I saw, but clarification from Sifu Terry would be fantastic.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2015 at 8:23 AM, zen-bear said:

And as I've stated earlier in the thread, quiet sitting is ALL-IMPORTANT.  No matter what yogas you do--whether Indian, Chinese, Tibetan, Egyptian, Persian, Toltec, etc.-- you must do quiet sitting.

So I always start absolute beginners off with quiet sitting meditation.  (This is easy and natural for me because Tao Tan Pai Neikung was the first system that I learned starting in 1974, and within the first level of TTP practice, called the Tao Tan Pai 31 (aka, Cloud Hands), there are about 4 static seated meditations [and 10 seated meditations with movements] that we used to do for long periods of time.)  

Not just Tao Tan Pai, but Chinese meditation in general begins with quiet sitting, as reflected in the I Ching:

52. Kên / Keeping Still, Mountain		above  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN		below  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN  In its application to man, the hexagram turns upon the problem of achieving a quiet heart. It is very difficult to bring quiet to the heart. While Buddhism strives for rest through an ebbing away of all movement in nirvana, the Book of Changes holds that rest is merely a state of polarity that always posits movement as its complement. Possibly the words of the text embody directions for the practice of yoga.	THE JUDGMENT	KEEPING STILL. Keeping his back still	So that he no longer feels his body.	He goes into his courtyard	And does not see his people.	No blame.True quiet means keeping still when the time has come to keep still, and going forward when the time has come to go forward. In this way rest and movement are in agreement with the demands of the time, and thus there is light in life.  The hexagram signifies the end and the beginning of all movement. The back is named because in the back are located all the nerve fibers that mediate movement. If the movement of these spinal nerves is brought to a standstill, the ego, with its restlessness, disappears as it were. When a man has thus become calm, he may turn to the outside world. He no longer sees in it the struggle and tumult of individual beings, and therefore he has that true peace of mind which is needed for understanding the great laws of the universe and for acting in harmony with them. Whoever acts from these deep levels makes no mistakes.

Once the beginner has learned to sit quietly.  You can introduce him/her to any of the basic FP Meditations on Volume 1 and 2, which will only deepen the level of physical relaxation, mind-body integration, and mental absorption.  The contrast between quiet sitting meditation and any of the 3 Warm-up Meditations--and certainly with the 3  Monk Serves Wine meditations in Volume 2--is most profound and usually quite a revelation to anyone who meditates.

*Also, in addition to the seated FP Meditations on Volume 2, you can have him or her do Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10) in seated half lotus position with hands resting at the tan tien.  (This is a key teaching and extra bonus meditation on Volume 1).

I was contemplating this post the other day and started to add in sitting meditation (staying in pure awareness with detachment to objects) for about an hour just after a session of FPQG (ie. long-form plus other statics). The results were very interesting - My heart seemed to glow with a lot of joy and blissfulness and it continued through the day. So I'm definitely not cutting out quiet-sitting practice for sure. :)

One thing I realized was that the clinging habits or tendencies became weaker after the entire session (FPQG + quiet-sitting). FPQG helped to establish that very serene-mind which made quiet-sitting much easier. Since both of them were not 'cognitive' in nature (ie. requiring some kind of conceptualizing) I thought they worked pretty well together as well.

I wanted to clarify though - I think Sifu terry mentioned that the quiet sitting in FPQG was the warmup meditations in vol 2 - Is this much different from sitting in emptiness meditation?

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2017 at 9:06 AM, ridingtheox said:

just a practice update ... inspired by the eastover videos... i finally exceeded 40 min long form practice Tues morning!!!

Mirror image done very early in the morning ... the only interruption of the silence was the coyote's waking up,:ph34r:.

my previous day practice had been limited as we went to see  Walk with Me, documentary on Thich Nhat Hanh / Plum Village in Tucson..  So at the end of the day  I did  follow the youtube of Sifu Dunn long form ... 10 min version in mirror image. and followed that with "preparation for 8 sections combined" short form  (12 min ).  An d Tuesday morning at 4:30 am broke the 40 min barrier.   Since then i have done 36 min and 34 min right side/normal long form on Wed. and Thur.   On both days I have also done the five standing short form.   tomorrow I will be on the road to So Cal to see my grandsons so I may  not get to practice quite so seriously.  I continue to do my Tjq class and some 5 element qi gong.   I am trying to encourage my wife to up her commitment to qi gong now that she has good mastery of Tjq long and short forms.  She continues to have a slight tachycardia and Afib.  

enough  i have to pack for trip, prep car, and take time to feed the cows  ...

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your excellent report on your progress of approaching the speed of the shifting sand dune in doing the Long Form Standing Meditation (FPHHCM on Vol.4).  I'm glad the videos from the Eastover workshops served you well as the standard reference for speed of moving meditations in the FP System.  I hope you get your wife sufficiently hooked on FP Qigong soon!

Note:  one doesn't have to practice the Long Form Standing Meditation approaching 40 minutes every time.  But as long as you  continually and gradually stretches your practice to longer durations, you will be developing greater total body relaxation and attaining higher (deeper) absorption-jhana.   I was not exaggerating nor kidding when I posted that FP Qigong can serve as the meditation vehicle to carry one right up to the threshold of the Formless or Immaterial Jhanas.  

Reminder and suggestion to all:  try moving at such super-slow speeds while doing the seated Flying Phoenix meditations as well--i.e., the "Monk Serves Wine" series (first 8 of which are on Volumes 2 and 7 of DVD series).

***And come to October 6-8 Flying Phoenix Qigong Workshop at eastover to get corrections and perfect your meditations to maximize the health, longevity, and spiritual benefits of this art.  12 Days before it begins.  Info here:

Cheers and happy travels.  (--I'm also equipping my vehicle for a long cross-country drive in a few days).

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 2

14 hours ago, taoguy said:

I was contemplating this post the other day and started to add in sitting meditation (staying in pure awareness with detachment to objects) for about an hour just after a session of FPQG (ie. long-form plus other statics). The results were very interesting - My heart seemed to glow with a lot of joy and blissfulness and it continued through the day. So I'm definitely not cutting out quiet-sitting practice for sure. :)

One thing I realized was that the clinging habits or tendencies became weaker after the entire session (FPQG + quiet-sitting). FPQG helped to establish that very serene-mind which made quiet-sitting much easier. Since both of them were not 'cognitive' in nature (ie. requiring some kind of conceptualizing) I thought they worked pretty well together as well.

I wanted to clarify though - I think Sifu terry mentioned that the quiet sitting in FPQG was the warmup meditations in vol 2 - Is this much different from sitting in emptiness meditation?

Hi Taoguy,

Answers to your questions:

Yes, you've experienced what practically every serious meditator who tries FP Qigong--especially the seated MSW meditations--discovers:  that quiet sitting (emptiness) is so much more easier and so much more comfortable and enjoyable than doing it before having experienced the FP Qigong integrative and energizing effects.

--No, that's not what I meant with this sentence.  Just take my sentence literally: 

The contrast between quiet sitting meditation and any of the 3 Warm-up Meditations--and certainly with the 3  Monk Serves Wine meditations in Volume 2--is most profound and usually quite a revelation to anyone who meditates.

I meant to say that  the first three Monk Serves Wine preparatory meditations or "warm-ups" on Vol.2 when they are first experienced by meditators, their experience is revelatory and a sublime boost to their practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

On 9/23/2017 at 10:51 AM, Aeran said:

Hi Aeran,

Earl Grey has provided the correct answer.  I have been doing it the same way since I learned the meditation.

After you bring the hands up the centerline with back of the hands touching and turn the palms clasped in the final position in front of the heart, you want to end and demarcate that exercise by floating the palms down to the knees.  When Grandmaster Doo Wai taught this too me (and I just checked the video of his demo in 1991), the last movement of floating the palms down to the knees is just as focussed and at the same speed as all the preceding movements.  

Then to start the next round of the meditation, bring the palms back up to the centerline and at heart-level.

**Also, I will give a nuanced teaching for this particular meditation, "the Sleeper" (50 20 10) so as to encourage all serious FP practitioners to try to attend my workshops at Eastover:

A)   This meditation starts with the palms in front of the heart.

B )  When one brings the palms up the centerline with back of the hands touching and turn the palms clasped in "prayer" position, you actually bring the fingertips up to the third eye (brow chakra) for a split second, and then slowly lower the palms back down to the heart level.

See what that does for you.

You are all very welcome!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 5