Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

To all FP Qigong practitioners:

Please share this report just in about the last Flying Phoenix Qigong workshop at Eastover Estate (July 27-30) with ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND SIGNIFICANT OTHERS WHO CARE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT QIGONG, TAI CHI OR ANYTHING MEDITATIVE, OR KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT YOGIC ARTS!!   For me, Corinne's report below is perhaps the most enjoyable and delightful response I've received yet! 

--a fine and surprising testament to the healing power of Flying Phoenix Qigong to facilitate the sublime Samadhic state, what the Tibetans call "NATURAL MOOD."    LOL:

Hellooo Terence,

I would like to add my grain of salt to the comments on the seminar in the Berkshire.

First of all, I was not really interested in the Flying Phoenix meditation.  My husband was. I had the options to stay home for the WE or , tag along . And so I came . I was prepared, I brought with me a 300 pages book, in case I got bored.
Everything changed on the first night . When I told you I was just an accompaniment, you nicely included me right then and there. From that moment on , my fate was sealed . I went to all the classes, barely reading 4 pages of my book.

Yes , sometimes I got dazed and confused with the breathing, sometimes I messed up the sequences, but that did not stopped me. I really enjoyed it .

What I appreciated the most during those 3 days : the relaxed schedule.

What I found delightful: the free form "moving hands like clouds " Sunday morning. ( Thank you Haim to show us that we are all spirited dancers.  And Agnes your infinity moves will be forever in our minds ).

Most of all Terence , I cherished your Flying Phoenix magic to bring us happiness together.

Thanks to you and all my partners in crime for that Week end . 

Corinne Arcuri

Next 3-day FP Workshop at Eastover starts in 13 days!:

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-3.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

I was just a little curious, seeing that Sifu Terry has knowledge in the yogic arts. Does FP somehow help in building the "Yang Shen", the immortal fetus or in Buddhism, the mind-generated body (mano-kaya)? Or would that be more of TTP?

• Like 2

On 8/17/2017 at 0:28 AM, taoguy said:

I was just a little curious, seeing that Sifu Terry has knowledge in the yogic arts. Does FP somehow help in building the "Yang Shen", the immortal fetus or in Buddhism, the mind-generated body (mano-kaya)? Or would that be more of TTP?

Hi Taoguy,

I'm not  familiar with the term "immortal fetus" or Yang Shen --not even within the context of Secret of the Golden Flower.  

There is in Taoist literature the Spiritual Embryo or  Immortal Embryo (sheng tai), which is the core or essential energy of the human being that starts as a small embryo and through yogic cultivation is enlarged to an energy body.  If that's what you're referring to, then yes, both FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai cultivate the energy body of the human starting with its embryonic form.

I think you mean  manomayakāya or manomaya-kaya, if you referring to the Buddhist term for "a body created by the mind."

The term -kaya as in "dharma-kaya" does not mean a physical body.  It is often used to mean a collection or group of something.  I don't think that this term, manomayakāya,  lliterally means a physical human body created by the mind.  My hunch is that the term means the Buddha's perfection.

While I know what this  sanskrit term manomaya-kaya translates into in English, I am not familiar with this term in any yogic context.  I have never heard it and any similar term used used in Tao Tan Pai practice nor have I heard it or any similar term used in Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.  Although many have reported seeing images of Buddhist iconography while practicing FP Qigong, my teacher, GM Doo Wai, told me that FP Qigong is a pure Taoist system.

Tao Tan Pai is a particularly Shen-driven Qigong system and is a syncretic Taoist-Buddhist system. Flying Phoenix applies and cultivates Shen-Qi quite differently than TTP.   But both systems cultivate the energy body, which can be referred to as the Spiritual Embryo.  Both Qigong systems can be powerful catalysts in transforming the practitioner into the dharma-kaya.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 4

As I practice Flying Phoenix, it becomes clearer to me how appropriately it is named. The "feng" (phoenix) relates to happiness and well-being; health and vitality and fertility and creativity.  It's a quantum increase in life-force, that nourishes and strengthens both our inner spirit and our outer body.

Maybe that's a bit vague, by yogic standards--but so far that's what I'm feeling.   :)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hi Taoguy,

I'm not  familiar with the term "immortal fetus" or Yang Shen --not even within the context of Secret of the Golden Flower.  

There is in Taoist literature the Spiritual Embryo or  Immortal Embryo (sheng tai), which is the core or essential energy of the human being that starts as a small embryo and through yogic cultivation is enlarged to an energy body.  If that's what you're referring to, then yes, both FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai cultivate the energy body of the human starting with its embryonic form.

I think you mean  manomayakāya or manomaya-kaya, if you referring to the Buddhist term for "a body created by the mind."

The term -kaya as in "dharma-kaya" does not mean a physical body.  It is often used to mean a collection or group of something.  I don't think that this term, manomayakāya,  lliterally means a physical human body created by the mind.  My hunch is that the term means the Buddha's perfection.

While I know what this  sanskrit term manomaya-kaya translates into in English, I am not familiar with this term in any yogic context.  I have never heard it and any similar term used used in Tao Tan Pai practice nor have I heard it or any similar term used in Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.  Although many have reported seeing images of Buddhist iconography while practicing FP Qigong, my teacher, GM Doo Wai, told me that FP Qigong is a pure Taoist system.

Tao Tan Pai is a particularly Shen-driven Qigong system and is a syncretic Taoist-Buddhist system. Flying Phoenix applies and cultivates Shen-Qi quite differently than TTP.   But both systems cultivate the energy body, which can be referred to as the Spiritual Embryo.  Both Qigong systems can be powerful catalysts in transforming the practitioner into the dharma-kaya.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you for explaining the systems Sifu.

I think it does mean "collection" in dharma-kaya. I think I also agree that it might not be a 'physical' body, perhaps similar to an astral body. For manomayakaya in the Pali literature of the Suttas (Samannaphala Sutta) here is what was written:

Spoiler

The Mind-made Body

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to creating a mind-made body. From this body he creates another body, endowed with form, made of the mind, complete in all its parts, not inferior in its faculties. Just as if a man were to draw a reed from its sheath. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the sheath, this is the reed. The sheath is one thing, the reed another, but the reed has been drawn out from the sheath.' Or as if a man were to draw a sword from its scabbard. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the sword, this is the scabbard. The sword is one thing, the scabbard another, but the sword has been drawn out from the scabbard.' Or as if a man were to pull a snake out from its slough. The thought would occur to him: 'This is the snake, this is the slough. The snake is one thing, the slough another, but the snake has been pulled out from the slough.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, the monk directs and inclines it to creating a mind-made body. From this body he creates another body, endowed with form, made of the mind, complete in all its parts, not inferior in its faculties. This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.

Supranormal Powers

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers. He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, and mountains as if through space. He dives in and out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting cross-legged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches and strokes even the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds. Just as a skilled potter or his assistant could craft from well-prepared clay whatever kind of pottery vessel he likes, or as a skilled ivory-carver or his assistant could craft from well-prepared ivory any kind of ivory-work he likes, or as a skilled goldsmith or his assistant could craft from well-prepared gold any kind of gold article he likes; in the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers... He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.

This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.

I believe this is the body that Bodhisattvas and Buddhas appear to us in (maybe nirmanakaya?), perhaps also synonymous with the Tibetan rainbow bodies or vajra-body (diamond-body). I think it is called the Merkabah in Jewish mysticism. The "immortal fetus or seed" reference comes from the book Taoist Yoga translated by Charles Luk (page 130). But I see the point, because Nan Huai Jin, the Chan master, always said that focusing on awakening to Tao or the dharmakaya is much more important than acquiring a 'body' because they come from emptiness anyway. :)

• Like 3

I had a very nice meditation tonight which I'll share. While doing MSW, I decided to contemplate the Queen Mother of the West (Xi Wang Mu). I started feeling a bliss more than usual for me; and on top of that the image of a peach came to me and the taste of it in my mouth. I can still taste it. :) 

When Sifu wrote that GMDW told him Flying Phoenix was a Daoist practice, the idea came to me to focus on Xi Wang Mu, who is the preeminent Daoist Mother and the bestower of prosperity, longevity, and eternal bliss.

Anyway, it was a wonderful experience.

The Daoist sage Zhuang-zi wrote, ""The Queen Mother of the West obtained it [the Dao] and took up her seat at Shao Guang [mountain]. No one knows her beginning; no one knows her end." 

• Like 2

Here is a ceramic painting of Xi Wang Mu riding her phoenix. The white tiger is also her special animal.   :)

Xi Wang Mu riding phoenix.jpg

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 7

One last image of Xi Wang Mu. Here she is with a tiger (in this painting a regular tiger--though she is closely associated with the white tiger in ancient Chinese tradition).

xi wang mu tiger.jpg

• Like 3

If there are any Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung practitioners and/or fans out there who are considering attending one of Sifu Terry’s upcoming seminars at the Eastover Estate; this report is for you!  My advice to all is to take full advantage of this precious opportunity while you can.

I have to admit I was on the fence about attending Sifu Terry Dunn’s FPCK classes last month.  But, even with my doubts, I had some fairly big expectations.  What I ended up getting was so much more than I ever could have expected.

I expected to cover volumes 1 and 2 of the DVD series and get a good taste of some of the other material in the system.  I also expected further elaborations and refinement on the material that Sifu Terry had presented in an afternoon workshop last year in NYC.  What I got were in-depth instructions in volumes 1, 2, 3, 5, parts of 7 and beyond.  Along with that I got to be swept up in the warm vibrations created by Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, the very generous instructor, my classmates, the beautiful surroundings, the founders of the system and all their successors.

I did expect to get the majority of my questions answered and to interact with an experienced teacher well versed in his chosen field.  But, what I got were all my questions answered, including, strangely enough, the ones I didn’t get a chance to ask.  I got the opportunity to spend some precious time with a remarkable teacher so well versed in a wide variety of subjects that one can easily believe he is much older than his biological age.

I expected an interesting diversion from the everyday grind and to hang out with some like-minded people.  Well, instead I left the seminar rejuvenated, blissful and hooked on the desire to practice and learn more FPCK.  Along with that, I got the opportunity to bond with a crew of wonderful seekers on an energetic and spiritual journey experienced through our group practice.

And so, I expected that by seminar’s end I would want to recommend the experience to others.  But what I never expected is the overwhelming desire I feel to let everyone who has ever bought the DVDs, heard of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, practiced other systems, had a fleeting interest in such things or even no interest at all know that it’s time to let this wonderful energy into your life.  Its time to jump in!  See you at Eastover!!!

Tony

• Like 5

On 8/4/2017 at 3:03 AM, zen-bear said:

thr above was an erroneous entry which i could not figure out how to delete

On 8/14/2017 at 1:35 AM, Songshou said:

I'll practice everything I know each day this coming week, while I watch the 2 intermediate standing meditations and get prepared to learn them and add them to my practice.  Then in several weeks, on to the long form meditation!   :)

don't  be  in such a hurry ...  learn to listen to each exercise ... in a year or so  perhaps ...  FP is about the long haul  NOT the short term  patience and persistence in practice   3 p's   

Edited by ridingtheox
well i entered that info in the text
  • Like 3

inspired by Sifu's eastover  class  

I completed a  40 minute long form (volume 4)    an increase of  about 20 percent in time of  execution for the long form  which i continue to do daily ..   now almost 5 years it has been the central qi gong practice   earlier this year i completed a 108 day gong  of twice a day  long form   keep on  practicing  FPCH   

as I approach 77 yrs my energy remains far above my age cohort .. 

hoa binh

tat ca sinh vien khach!

• Like 5

On 8/22/2017 at 0:13 AM, Songshou said:

A second Xi Wangmu and phoenix picture! :)

xiwangmu phoenix.jpg

Songshou,

Thank you so much for making the connection between Xi Wang Mu ("West Queen Mother") and her flying phoenix with Flying Phoenix Qigong;  she may quite possibly be-- and probably is--the Source of the Flying Phoenix Qigong knowledge .  Over all these years after learning the FP Qigong system from GM Doo Wai in the early 1990's, I just stayed within the confines of his oral history that Taoist monk Feng Tao Teh (Feng Do Duk) received a visitation from--or channeled in the Flying Phoenix Qigong knowledge from a reportedly female Taoist deity.  This oral history jibes with his statement that the FP Qigong is a purely Taoist art.  But I was not aware of the name of the Taoist Queen Mother of the West, even though long ago I had obscure glimpses of her images in Taoist and Chinese folk art.  But no direct sightings yet while in meditative states of consciousness.

Now that I know the name and have visual depictions of Xi Wang Mu, I will see if an invocation might work--especially when I am in immersive teaching and meditation mode.

Thank you again for sharing your keen intuition!

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

www.eastover.com/terence-dunn-3.htmo

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

You're welcome, Sifu Terry.  My own small experience of Xi Wang Mu came while doing MSW, as I was counting repetitions while (for the first time) meditating on Her. I had just used the syllables Na and Mo (since I didn't know a strictly Daoist salutation) and followed with Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu.  (Na Mo Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu = seven syllables). That's when the image of a peach and the taste of a peach suddenly came strongly to me.

All I can say for myself is that I felt She was accepting of my meditation. One thing for sure, according to Daoist tradition, is that She rules all Daoist practices of longevity and immortality, and internal alchemy.   :) 

P.S. Though now I think I'll switch to a wholly Chinese 7-syllable prayer or invocation, since Daoists probably don't use "Na Mo" so much:

施藥飛鳳西王母 "Shi Yao Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu" (or "Shih Yao Fei Feng Hsi Wang Mu" -- "Bestow Healing Flying Phoenix Western Queen Mother").

[The other gift I feel I got from Her shortly after my initial meditation was my finding the Daoist "Immortal Twin Boys", the He-He Er Xian  (Harmony-Union Two Immortals) 和合二仙 

who are always smiling and laughing and bestow harmony, happiness, and fruitfulness. Sometimes they are seen riding their Qi-lin animals (see my picture below). Since I have a twin brother, Twin Immortals always attract and fascinate me. That's just a personal sharing, though; it won't interest most of you. But Xi Wang Mu made sure I quickly found and connected with Them! :):)]

a-pair-of-chinese-celadon-blue-and-white-figures-of-the-immortal-twins-hehe-erxian-riding-a-kylin-18th-c-1.jpg

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Songshou said:

You're welcome, Sifu Terry.  My own small experience of Xi Wang Mu came while doing MSW, as I was counting repetitions while (for the first time) meditating on Her. I had just used the syllables Na and Mo (since I didn't know a strictly Daoist salutation) and followed with Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu.  (Na Mo Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu = seven syllables). That's when the image of a peach and the taste of a peach suddenly came strongly to me.

All I can say for myself is that I felt She was accepting of my meditation. One thing for sure, according to Daoist tradition, is that She rules all Daoist practices of longevity and immortality, and internal alchemy.   :) 

P.S. Though now I think I'll switch to a wholly Chinese 7-syllable prayer or invocation, since Daoists probably don't use "Na Mo" so much:

施藥飛鳳西王母 "Shi Yao Fei Feng Xi Wang Mu" (or "Shih Yao Fei Feng Hsi Wang Mu" -- "Bestow Healing Flying Phoenix Western Queen Mother").

[The other gift I feel I got from Her shortly after my initial meditation was my finding the Daoist "Immortal Twin Boys", the He-He Er Xian  (Harmony-Union Two Immortals) 和合二仙 

who are always smiling and laughing and bestow harmony, happiness, and fruitfulness. Sometimes they are seen riding their Qi-lin animals (see my picture below). Since I have a twin brother, Twin Immortals always attract and fascinate me. That's just a personal sharing, though; it won't interest most of you. But Xi Wang Mu made sure I quickly found and connected with Them! :):)]

a-pair-of-chinese-celadon-blue-and-white-figures-of-the-immortal-twins-hehe-erxian-riding-a-kylin-18th-c-1.jpg

On 8/23/2017 at 7:20 PM, Songshou said:

Dear Songshou!

Thank you so very much for sharing your meditation experience with MSW and connection to Xi Wang Mu!

Very beautiful art posted and very useful and effective mantra/invocation that you have gifted to us.  Thank you for this GIFT!

I felt powerful mind-shifting effects the first two times I voiced it:  ""Shih Yao Fei Feng Hsi Wang Mu".

Especially powerful--and perfect--during the present retrograde period.

The "Immortal Twin Boys",  He-He Er Xian, are just my cup of tea--a tonic tea.  Their smiles and countenances are infectiously fill one with delight, and they being twins are harmonizing.  I also go into joyful trance studying the faces of their mighty-magickal-comical steeds and figuring out the each twin's relationship with his respective steed.

Well, regardless of what others might think, your healing invocation to Xi Wang Mu is wonderful an effective as far as I'm concerned.   And these icons of the "Immortal Twin Boys" sure as Heaven interests me!   They are incredibly evocative.  My wildly mantic mind likes to visualize these statuettes in different configuration/postures...but I see them always morph back to these originals as being PERFECT!!

Many, many thanks, Songshou!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Thank you, Sifu Terry. These Twins feel ancient, and incredibly archetypal.  You'll find scholarly and Buddhist claims that they were two Buddhist (!) monks (close friends--but not brothers, and not children, and obviously not sponsors of happy and fertile marriages, good fortune and abundance) in the T'ang Dynasty who somehow morphed into these twin-boy Daoist (!) Immortals. But that's nonsense.  (Nothing at all against Buddhist monks...but they don't ride qi-lin, haha.) It's interesting that Buddhist-style art depicting these two adult friend-monks more and more turned into Daoist-style art showing two (non-monk) twin boys, always laughing and sometimes riding on their qi-lin.  The ancient original Shamanic and Daoist archetype came forward! And the real numinous power is in that very ancient, long-before-Buddhist archetype and in Who (Two) come through the images.  :):)   So for the fun of it, today I'll share for any who are interested, 
施曦喜和合二仙  (Shi Xi Xi He He Er Xian, or Shih Hsi Hsi He He Erh Hsien  -- "Bestow Light and Joy, Harmonious-and-United Two Immortals")

(particularly because I'd really like Them to come and lift me up on one of those qi-lin for a morning ride with Them, lol).

P.S. I love the word-plays of Literary Chinese! For "He He", we have:

和合 hé hé    ("harmony, harmonious", literally "harmonious-united")

呵呵   hē hē    ("gentle laughter")

赫赫   hè hè    ("bright, radiant, brilliant")

盒   hé hé    ("lotus-flower" and "gift-box or bowl", which the He He Er Xian hold, symbolizing fruitfulness and abundance--and joy and fun all-around, of course!)

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 1

Just a short question...

For the volume 4 meditations, is it mandatory to end and then start off with the breathing sequence every one time? Or can you just do one breathing sequence and continue accordingly?

12 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Like all other forms, do the breathing sequence at the beginning, then breathe normally until you close the form. Each time you wish to repeat the long form in volume 4, do the three opening breaths and the breath sequence, breath normally in the form, then do the three closing breaths to end the form. :) 

If you're like me, I did the form several times in a row in the beginning. Opening breaths, breath control, breathe normally during form, closing breaths and exiting the form, wait a minute, then go back into form with opening breaths and breath control sequence again...

2 hours ago, taoguy said:

Just a short question...

For the volume 4 meditations, is it mandatory to end and then start off with the breathing sequence every one time? Or can you just do one breathing sequence and continue accordingly?

I think Taoguy wanted to speak of vol 5 of short meditations, vol 4 is the long form.

GMDW informs on his DVD s on some moving meditations to do just Taoguy asks, do it once and repeat as you wish, then end it, only take a deep breath between the intervals. But he is not teaching FPCK and maybe it is best to do what the official instructor Sifu Terry says, start fresh when instructed to do so. 

I confess that after some experience  I only do the last flash med on vol 4 with only one breath sequence repeatedly as it is from a different system and design of the form loops naturally like Bendind the Bows

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cihan said:

I think Taoguy wanted to speak of vol 5 of short meditations, vol 4 is the long form.

GMDW informs on his DVD s on some moving meditations to do just Taoguy asks, do it once and repeat as you wish, then end it, only take a deep breath between the intervals. But he is not teaching FPCK and maybe it is best to do what the official instructor Sifu Terry says, start fresh when instructed to do so. 

I confess that after some experience  I only do the last flash med on vol 4 with only one breath sequence repeatedly as it is from a different system and design of the form loops naturally like Bendind the Bows

If it is Volume 5, my understanding is just one breath sequence, one round of movements, then close and repeat again, as seen in other forms like for Wind Above the Clouds, but--let's see what Sifu Terry says. You were the one who reminded me that we can do MHP while supine and I missed on the thread before, so let's see. :) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Like all other forms, do the breathing sequence at the beginning, then breathe normally until you close the form. Each time you wish to repeat the long form in volume 4, do the three opening breaths and the breath sequence, breath normally in the form, then do the three closing breaths to end the form. :) 

If you're like me, I did the form several times in a row in the beginning. Opening breaths, breath control, breathe normally during form, closing breaths and exiting the form, wait a minute, then go back into form with opening breaths and breath control sequence again...

Yes I meant repeating the long volume 4 meditation multiple times (I apologize for not being clearer). When I did the long-form about 3 times today (opening and closing appropriately each time), I could feel a huge difference in energy levels and how the energy seems to 'fill' or perfuse the entire brain and spread throughout the body. 

I was wondering whether it was mandatory to do the closing breath and then reopen the form before I repeated the form because the breathing sequence takes cognitive effort for me and I find that it makes me 'snap out' of the stillness that I was in to restart the form. One reason why I enjoy the Monk Serves Wine sitting meditations because I don't have to restart them continuously and can repeat for an indefinite amount of times.

• Like 4

Hi Sifu Terry and everyone!

Here is additional information about Xi Wangmu:

Around the year 500, Tao Hung Jing systematized Taoist deities into two separate hierarchies, male and female, with Xi Wangmu ranked as the highest goddess. He gave her a lasting title: The Ninefold Numinous Grand and Realized Primal Ruler of the Purple Tenuity from the White Jade Tortoise Terrace. Other sources, such as the poet Du Fu, describe her as descending to the human realm enveloped in purple vapors." [Transcendence and Divine Passion: The Queen Mother of the West in Medieval Chinaby Suzanne E. Cahill, 33; 24; 168]

"Legend said that the Zhou dynasty king Mu (circa 1000 bce) travelled to Kunlun in search of the Western Mother. Many ancient sources elaborated on their meeting beside the Turquoise Pond. The emperor Han Wudi was granted a similar audience in 110 BCE. The Monograph on Broad Phenomena says that the goddess sent a white deer to inform him of her advent, and he prepared a curtained shrine for her. She arrived on the festival of Double Sevens, riding on a chariot of purple clouds. She sat facing east, clothed in seven layers of blue clouds. Three big blue birds and other magical servitors set up the ninefold tenuity lamp. The goddess gave five peaches to the emperor. He wanted to save the seeds for planting, but she laughed and said that they would not bear fruit for 3000 years."  [Cahill, 48-55]

I put purple in bold, to highlight her connection to that color, which is also generally an important color in Chinese alchemy and meditation, both Daoist and Buddhist. (There is also the mention of her blue clouds and blue birds. And as we know, FPCK has a blue energy.)

And since we have gone into Virgo astrologically, I'll share this astronomy photo, which is actually called the "Purple Rose of Virgo." The nebula actually radiates that color as photographed by observatories, it has not been altered.  And since "Virgo" means the "Young Woman", I think this Purple Rose might make for an awesome meditation on Xi Wang Mu who is so often depicted as a beautiful Young Woman.  (Of course, I'm partial because I'm born under Virgo!)

With that, I'll let everyone get back to their FP practice! :) Myself, I'm going to endeavor to mentally practice inside the spiritual "Purple Rose of Virgo" this month. Perhaps I'll even see the "Purple Rose" as Xi Wangmu's Heart center!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/03/070329-supernova.html

purple rose of virgo.jpg

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, Songshou said:

Thank you, Sifu Terry. These Twins feel ancient, and incredibly archetypal.  You'll find scholarly and Buddhist claims that they were two Buddhist (!) monks (close friends--but not brothers, and not children, and obviously not sponsors of happy and fertile marriages, good fortune and abundance) in the T'ang Dynasty who somehow morphed into these twin-boy Daoist (!) Immortals. But that's nonsense.  (Nothing at all against Buddhist monks...but they don't ride qi-lin, haha.) It's interesting that Buddhist-style art depicting these two adult friend-monks more and more turned into Daoist-style art showing two (non-monk) twin boys, always laughing and sometimes riding on their qi-lin.  The ancient original Shamanic and Daoist archetype came forward! And the real numinous power is in that very ancient, long-before-Buddhist archetype and in Who (Two) come through the images.  :):)   So for the fun of it, today I'll share for any who are interested, 
施曦喜和合二仙  (Shi Xi Xi He He Er Xian, or Shih Hsi Hsi He He Erh Hsien  -- "Bestow Light and Joy, Harmonious-and-United Two Immortals")

(particularly because I'd really like Them to come and lift me up on one of those qi-lin for a morning ride with Them, lol).

P.S. I love the word-plays of Literary Chinese! For "He He", we have:

和合 hé hé    ("harmony, harmonious", literally "harmonious-united")

呵呵   hē hē    ("gentle laughter")

赫赫   hè hè    ("bright, radiant, brilliant")

盒   hé hé    ("lotus-flower" and "gift-box or bowl", which the He He Er Xian hold, symbolizing fruitfulness and abundance--and joy and fun all-around, of course!)

Hey hey, Songshou--I mean He He,

Thank you for your further exposition of the "Taoist Twins"  Harmony-Union Twin Immortals--and for the range of tonal meanings of their sobriquet, He He, all of which are auspicious and delightful. The Twins are a charming and heart-warming to gaze upon and a riot to meditate upon.  

Who knows?  Maybe the twins were indeed two Buddhist monks in their past incarnations who were very close friends.  And they simply evolved into even more pure and perfect embodiments of Tao.  Their spiritual progress is obviously awesome since they went from a mundane past life and lifestyle entirely spent on foot to one where they are transported by chimerical steeds whoses heads look more like dragons than anything else, and so are probably able to fly (imho).  Since Qi-lin are thought to presage the auspicious coming or going of a great sage or great ruler, I would say that the Twins are real movers and shakers--and prodigies to boot.  

At any rate, regardless if they were Buddhist monks and close friends in their previous incarnations or not, all signs point to the fact that the twins are highly evolved spirits--riding high in High Heaven.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry!

I'm certain their qi-lin do fly! :)

I think it's very possible the two Buddhist monks might have caught or embodied the Spirit of the Twin Immortals. I just meant to question the scholars' view that the T'ang Buddhist monks came first. But that's because I'm so versed in "Immortal Twins lore", lol. All the way back to the roots of the Rig Veda and beyond. So these Twins (and my own feel, though of course I can't prove it, is that they are most often the same Twin Spirits, in the Old World at least) have appeared as Divine Beings in several traditions from very ancient times; and have surely overshadowed, sponsored, or infilled human twins, brothers, blood-brothers or close friends.  Though most often young men with horses in the other religious traditions, they tend to have the same friendly, happy, helping attitude as the Daoist twin boy Immortals. And are always connected with weddings and all-around fruitfulness and fertility. Same basic personality!
A Western analogue to the two Buddhist monks might be the Twin Saints in Christianity, such as Saints Cosmas and Damien, or Saints Florus and Laurus. They may well have been real persons who preached, helped, and healed, and were human embodiment of the Spirit of the Twin Immortals.
But in any case, the bottom line is what you just wrote:  "I would say that the Twins are real movers and shakers--and prodigies to boot.  At any rate, regardless if they were Buddhist monks and close friends in their previous incarnations or not, all signs point to the fact that the twins are highly evolved spirits--riding high in High Heaven."

And again, in all the various Traditions where They appear, they are always helpers who are very close to humanity, very friendly, very available. And on that note, I found it interesting that when I said the prayer I made, I felt it express right here, as though They were coming through, rather than coming down from above (as I felt with the Xi Wangmu prayer). But I'm setting no Rule about it; that was just my experience!

I am delighted by your response to these Twins, Sifu Terry! :) 

P.S. This a a bit far afield from China....but if you want an example of a shamanic verse that flips one into a transcendental dimension with the Twin Immortals, there's an ancient Latvian 4-line folk song.  The first 2 lines are on the mundane level with the shaman or singer....(in English translation):

"I've made a boat of apple wood,

Golden are both ends of it;

then suddenly we're in another dimension with the Twins:

The Twins of Heaven are oarsmen

And they take the Sun Maid sailing."

Haha, I love that song! I sing it in Latvian all the time. :)  That and another ancient Latvian song:

"Singing came I, singing grew I,

Singing have I lived my lifetime;

Singing will my soul soon go

To Gardens of the Twins of Heaven."

Edited by Songshou
  • Like 2

Hi! Here's a (mostly) blue Chinese phoenix I found on Pinterest! It makes a nice Flying Phoenix visualization, I think.

Qing Feng.jpg

• Like 5

Im not even joking i was looking into the spiritual meaning of the color purple only an hour before reading the last two pages of this thread. Been thinking about the color for the last couple of days, one of the songs i listen to has lyrics that go something like... 

''I've come down from the violent skies to save the day
I'm about to reveal the tales of your life
Too many secrets are locked inside your minds
But you're all equal in life, equal in love...''

Still i dont see how useful these synchronicities are, i mean what do i do about it? Its probably just a pointless coincidence no?

• Like 2