Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

yes  the delay,  lag time for doing these sleep/wake exercises is  a noteable / awareness issue to be present .

thanks for the reminder  ...

I.  Christmas Day practice:

A.  Morning practice:

1.  Tao Tan Pai 5 Dragons (50 min.)

2.  Flying Phoenix 22-movement Long Form Seated Meditation (Monk Serves Wine).

3.  Red Lotus Flying Phoenix seated meditation No.1

B.   Evening practice

1.  8 Sections Combined - Preparatory Form; Sections 3. 4. and 8.

2.  William Chen (60 posture) Short Form  - 2 rounds

3.  Yang Tai Chi sword - 2 rounds

4.  Wudang Dan Jian - 2 rounds

5.  Liu He Ba Fa form - one round.

II.   Day after Christmas practice:

Still doing heavy FP Qigong for maintenace due to mercury retrograde over the Christmas holiday.

A.  This morning's training:

1.  Yang Tai Chi Long Form (William Chen version) - 1 round

2.  Chen's Yang Tai Chi sword form - 2 rounds (very slowly)

3.   Flying Phoenix Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4) - 2 rounds, the second round done about twice is slowly as the first.

4.   Moonbeam Splashes on Water (Vol.3) - 2 rounds.  Again, second round was done considerably slower than the first.

5.   Advanced FP Meditations 1 through 5. -  30 min.

B.  This evening's practice:

1.  8 Sections Combined -- Sections 5, 6, 7, 8.

2.  Chen's Yang Tai Chi Long Form

3.  Advanced FP Meditations No. 6-9.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

Sifu Terry I wish you would include all your styles on DVD as those traditions are really genuine and working better then anything really compared. I hope other generation will save them, there are people who inherent those styles on pretty good level ? I wish you long life Sifu of course but those traditions are so beneficial that we should work to secure them :)

• Like 3

Sifu Terry I wish you would include all your styles on DVD as those traditions are really genuine and working better then anything really compared. I hope other generation will save them, there are people who inherent those styles on pretty good level ? I wish you long life Sifu of course but those traditions are so beneficial that we should work to secure them :)

Hello Seeker,

Those other styles outside of the Bok Fu Pai tradition that I have practiced long-term are:

1.  Yang Tai Chi (Cheng Man-Ching lineage),

2.  Liu He Ba Fa

3.  Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Kung Fu.

4.  Southern Sil Lum (Shaolin) 5 Animals Kung Fu

5.  Bok Fu Pai (White Tiger) Kung Fu

The first two of these four of these styles have highest-level instructors a generation older than me who are eminently qualified to preserve those traditions.  I hope that in my final decades--this Act 3 of my life, I will graduate to their level of kung fu. 

I have peer instructors in Bok Fu Pai, Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu (which has a vast and powerful Nei Kung component) and in So. Shaolin 5 Animals Kung Fu who are at my skill level and perhaps higher.

I am the sole preserver of this most rare of internal martial arts arts under the Bok Fu Pai mantle:

8 Sections of Energy Combined (as I know that my two classmates who were taught the foundations of  this art in the early 90's by GM Doo Wai never progressed to master the system). 

Assuming that my two classmates from the 90's (with whom I've lost touch) have practiced what they were taught, I am one of 3 preservers of the internal system known as "10,000 Buddhas Ascend to Heaven" ("10,000 Buddhas' Meditation" for short), an authentic, ancient and advanced Emie (Ehrmei) Mountain Qigong system.  This advanced art will never be published on any medium.  But hopefully one day will be transmitted to a deserving student.

Over the next 3 years, I plan to produce a total of fifteen (15) new DVD programs teaching these arts:

(A)   Four new DVD titles teaching more of the Flying Phoenix Qigong, completing the series at 10 volumes.  One of these will be a new Volume 6, which has been much asked about over many, many years.

(B)  A two-part DVD series teaching the Tao Tan Pai 31-Exercise Nei Kung, aka "Cloud Hands" (no relation to "Wave Hands Like Clouds" Tai Chi Chuan).  This is the only level of TTP Nei Kung that I personally feel should be published--other than the  basic TTP 5 Animal Kung Fu Forms.

©  Two DVD programs, each teaching one of the basic/preparatory exercises of 8 Sections of Energy Combined that have immediate health benefits--like FP Qigong.

(D)  a new series of Tai Chi For Health DVDs teaching Yang Tai Chi forms in the manner of Prof. Cheng Man-Ching/William C.C. Chen) to replace the best-selling titles that I made in 1989.

(E)   A two-volume instructional program on Liu He Ba Fa.

(F)   A new instructional Tai Chi Ruler program to replace the one I made in 1985.

In the meantime, all FP practitioners have quite enough material to master over a lifetime with the FP Qigong instruction presently available 6 Volumes of Chi Kung For Health.  For as I explained in a recent post replying to Vajrafist, the FP Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4) is an advanced practice that will ensure strong immunity and thereby promote longevity.

Thanks for your good wishes--so that I may complete my life's work in preserving these arts to this minimum extent.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 9

Over the next 3 years, I plan to produce a total of fifteen (15) new DVD programs teaching these arts:

(A)   Four new DVD titles teaching more of the Flying Phoenix Qigong, completing the series at 10 volumes.  One of these will be a new Volume 6, which has been much asked about over many, many years.

( B)  A two-part DVD series teaching the Tao Tan Pai 31-Exercise Nei Kung, aka "Cloud Hands" (no relation to "Wave Hands Like Clouds" Tai Chi Chuan).  This is the only level of TTP Nei Kung that I personally feel should be published--other than the  basic TTP 5 Animal Kung Fu Forms.

©  Two DVD programs, each teaching one of the basic/preparatory exercises of 8 Sections of Energy Combined that have immediate health benefits--like FP Qigong.

(D)  a new series of Tai Chi For Health DVDs teaching Yang Tai Chi forms in the manner of Prof. Cheng Man-Ching/William C.C. Chen) to replace the best-selling titles that I made in 1989.

(E)   A two-volume instructional program on Liu He Ba Fa.

(F)   A new instructional Tai Chi Ruler program to replace the one I made in 1985.

Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for making all this material available. I'm falling in love with the Flying Phoenix Qigong, and look forward in making the practice of that art a lifelong joy. I'll give a progress report soon.

I've send the following text in a pm but I'll put an excerpt here:

Could you please consider sharing your material through other media than DVDs?

I live in Europe and getting your DVDs is not that easy. Both the shipping costs, potential import tax, delivery time and regional restrictions on DVDs make it quite an inconvenience, and much more expensive. I was lucky to get the first 3 DVDs second hand, and have also ordered your Tai Chi DVD through second hand channels which I expect to arrive in January-February. When I get a DVD I still have to copy it to my computer so I can watch it in my training room...

Will you consider selling your material through online channels like vimeo? Or (since vimeo is a little expensive) you could easily build a site, especially in wordpress with the right plugins (or let that get done) where you sell online acces to your material. You could even offer that in combination with online supervision. An online sell model would at least make the costs of getting your material equal for US residents and those in the rest of the world and reduces the cost of a DVD production 

It will increase your exposure, and ease of acces all over the world, and it would be a mayor convenience for us (for example, the possibility to watch and learn your art from a tablet).

Anyway, just for consideration.

In time, I will buy the rest of the DVDs from you, disregarding any inconvenience and extra costs, if Flying Phoenix and the regular practice of it sticks. This is still better than traveling to a far away mountain seeking for a true master, so the inconvenience relatively small for such an amazing art...

Thank you so much!

Edited by Frederic
  • Like 5

Frederic, you make good sense since I have noticed many qigong teachers are now moving to digital downloads instead of selling dvds. Purple Player is the download service that Sifu Garry Hearfield uses for his digital downloads.

• Like 4

Hi Sifu Terry,

Curious as to which art(s) you referred to in the following quote of yours ? "the most powerful and most subtle internal martial arts in the White Tiger tradition are based the position of the sun (and the moon)."  thanks-

I know Tibetan burning palm as taught by Sifu Gary has a lot of this sort of thing - different meds for different times of the day, etc.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

Quick question. Is it natural to be absolutely unable to get up in the morning after practicing FP at night. I'm normally in bed by 10ish and up at 4/4.30am for a bit of training. However last couple of days Ive done a FP session before bed, I've been unable to get out of bed in the morning.

I know there's a greater sleep requirement with FP but is that a thing which only happens in the early stages of practice?

For quite a long period I used to do the Big Sleeper FP before bed and never had any problems waking up and that was when I would go to bed at midnight and get up at 6:30am. More recently I was doing FP 60-70-40-5 before bed and also never had any problems waking from that one either. I have heard from astrologers that recently the Earth has entered a photon belt which effects the emotions quite strongly. The effect was noticed quite strongly the day after Xmas by 2 people that are close to me and I also felt it myself. Neither of us knew about the photon belt at that time.

• Like 2

Hi Frederi

Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for making all this material available. I'm falling in love with the Flying Phoenix Qigong, and look forward in making the practice of that art a lifelong joy. I'll give a progress report soon.

I've send the following text in a pm but I'll put an excerpt here:

Could you please consider sharing your material through other media than DVDs?

I live in Europe and getting your DVDs is not that easy. Both the shipping costs, potential import tax, delivery time and regional restrictions on DVDs make it quite an inconvenience, and much more expensive. I was lucky to get the first 3 DVDs second hand, and have also ordered your Tai Chi DVD through second hand channels which I expect to arrive in January-February. When I get a DVD I still have to copy it to my computer so I can watch it in my training room...

Will you consider selling your material through online channels like vimeo? Or (since vimeo is a little expensive) you could easily build a site, especially in wordpress with the right plugins (or let that get done) where you sell online acces to your material. You could even offer that in combination with online supervision. An online sell model would at least make the costs of getting your material equal for US residents and those in the rest of the world and reduces the cost of a DVD production 

It will increase your exposure, and ease of acces all over the world, and it would be a mayor convenience for us (for example, the possibility to watch and learn your art from a tablet).

Anyway, just for consideration.

In time, I will buy the rest of the DVDs from you, disregarding any inconvenience and extra costs, if Flying Phoenix and the regular practice of it sticks. This is still better than traveling to a far away mountain seeking for a true master, so the inconvenience relatively small for such an amazing art...

Thank you so much!

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for your suggestions to distribute my instructional programs through purely digital channels as opposed to DVD channels.  I began looking into those channels some time ago--in fact, many years ago, when iTunes first began--but being a traditionalist.  I decided to stick to selling DVDs as my business model.   But the greater reason was that I was embroiled in a massive lawsuit against a film studio since 2010 (actually earlier), which will soon enter into a new Round Two...and I didn't have the time to follow-up on digital distribution.

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com/Timeline_Hotspots_New.html

For now, DVDs are what's available  and Tai Chi and FP Qigong enthusiasts in Europe, middle east, Russia (a very few), Asia, Australia and So. America have been well-served and not complaining.

Thanks for the suggestions of various digital distributors.  I will look into them.

Happy Holidays.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

For quite a long period I used to do the Big Sleeper FP before bed and never had any problems waking up and that was when I would go to bed at midnight and get up at 6:30am. More recently I was doing FP 60-70-40-5 before bed and also never had any problems waking from that one either. I have heard from astrologers that recently the Earth has entered a photon belt which effects the emotions quite strongly. The effect was noticed quite strongly the day after Xmas by 2 people that are close to me and I also felt it myself. Neither of us knew about the photon belt at that time.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your report of Monk Serves Wine 60 70 40 5 (Vol.7) as being a nice sleep inducer.  In general, I've always taught that the waker-upper (90 80 50 20), the last MSW Meditation on Volume 2, is the only one that prevents sleep; and that the "Sleeper" on Vol. 7 (50 20 10)  and the 50 40 30 10 MSW on Vol. 2 (2nd to the last, or fifth meditation including the "warmups"), are sure-fire sleep-inducers.  

I've always done 60-70-40-5 during the daytime along with Volume 7's:   80 70 50 20 and 70 50 20 10 (aka, the Hair recolorizers).  But I intuitively know that 60-70-40-5 (due to its daytime effects) is also a nice sleep-inducer.

Thanks for bringing it up to the FP Community.

Happy Holidays,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 4

Quick question. Is it natural to be absolutely unable to get up in the morning after practicing FP at night. I'm normally in bed by 10ish and up at 4/4.30am for a bit of training. However last couple of days Ive done a FP session before bed, I've been unable to get out of bed in the morning.

I know there's a greater sleep requirement with FP but is that a thing which only happens in the early stages of practice?

I always felt worn out and needed rest after the fpck meditations for 4 years. The need to rest diminished a little in time but sleep requirement stayed with me. I suspect it is more of a construction thing on certain brain centers than a simple knock out, based on what I experience while meditating.
  • Like 1

In TM we are taught that if one continually falls asleep during meditation it means that the body is needing that sleep and we should allow for that extra sleep. There is also something known as compensatory sleep that results from going for a period of not enough sleep and then the body wants to make up for that when it gets a chance by at some point making the person sleep extra hours.

• Like 3

Celebrating the New Year in style with a peaceful FP session and 9pm bedtime. Moving closer to sand dune speed. It feels like the chi is guiding me 'slower, slower' whenever I practice.

So much so that my regular practice of the long form x2 and the msw 60-70-40-5 from vol 7 is taking closer to an hour now to complete rather than just 40mins.

It's been almost a year that I haven't practiced. Last New Year I spent three hours going through the first four volumes of FP. With such a gap the practice feels both strangely familiar and new. Grateful to be learning again.

The movements feel almost autonomous, as though I'm being moved. I've read about the Xiao Yao Pai system elsewhere on this forum, where you recite a formula and a guardian daoist spirit moves your body in energetic movements. Does Flying Phoenix take a similar approach via the breath formula?

Edit: Almost forgot to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

I found way to inject quickly FP energy then regular absorption, results is even more amazing.

How did you accomplish that?

Sifu Terry, I feel low and dull in energy. Which FP dvd would you suggest me to make myself more energetic?

For those who have read the old translation of "The Secret of the Golden Flower" by Richard Wilhelm and commentary by C.G. Jung, or those who want to read it (it is one of Sifu Terry reading recommendations) I strongly recommend to read the newer translation by Thomas Clearly. He has translated other Taoist and Buddhist text and he takes that knowledge into this translation.

Very cheap on amazon, please buy it: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Golden-Flower-Thomas-Cleary/dp/0062501933

An online version for exploring it until you buy it: http://terebess.hu/keletkultinfo/Cleary-Thomas-Secret-of-the-Golden-Flower.pdf

He shows that the previous translation is dangerously missing the mark on many accounts. Reading this new translation I had so many 'aha' moments. The teachers that have been most influential on me have actually all advised to do something similar to this Golden Flower meditation (basically turning the light of awareness back upon itself, until that is recognized and then return there often). This practice has led to a seeing event of recognizing being that what needs nothing, goes nowhere, never dies or was born. Although that was just a glimpse, the practice of turning the light of awareness around is still helping the 'little me' to be better at integrating and embody that realization, and over time breaking down all striving and dissolving into just being happy.

I love that book. And returning to that realization actually helps me to do Flying Phoenix "without strain or obsession" which is/was hard because of some strong remaining ego patterns of striving.

Edited by Frederic
  • Like 2

I have read at least one Thomas Cleary book and was pleased with him and I have others from him on my bookshelves waiting to be read. Awareness turning in on itself reminds me of the teachings of Transcendental Meditation when Maharishi taught basic physics and quantum physics and he would explain TM and how creation works in the Universe as the Self turning in upon itself.

By the Self, he did not mean our individual ego/personality. He referred to the Self as Pure Consciousness, Pure Awareness without any thought to it, yet it is the basis of every physially manifested form in creation. In other words, the Pure Absolute. Which to me sounds like the Tao, the mother of 10,000 things, to quote the Tao Te Ching. The Self turning upon itself happens spontaneously during TM and when that does happen, research shows that all the brain functioning is at maximum coherence instead of the usual random brain wave activity associated with the non-enlightened usual state of consciousness. So regardless of the path we are on, the method is always to get to the source which is the Self reflecting itself. Some paths are just more complex than others. When I read the Secret of the Golden Flower my head spins with how complicated those ancient teachings have made such a simple process for transcending the Relative aspect of life in order to reach the Absolute.

But Frederic you are certainly having some great experiences and you have reminded me to go back to reading my Cleary books on the Taoist path.

• Like 3

So regardless of the path we are on, the method is always to get to the source which is the Self reflecting itself. Some paths are just more complex than others. When I read the Secret of the Golden Flower my head spins with how complicated those ancient teachings have made such a simple process for transcending the Relative aspect of life in order to reach the Absolute.

You may be pleasantly surprised when reading this newer translation, for the practice is simple and easy. And once you get the basic idea the practice becomes an effortless non-doing of resting in your Self (in 'just being') which can be done in a few seconds or minutes at any time during the day. 

You could start by reading the introduction and then the commentary first, before you begin with the main text. It actually works better that way.

• Like 1

I read Wing's  Tao de Ching early  this morning,  #53,   had not been visiting TdC for a while ...  stay on the path don't get distracted by by ways     It had a resonance for me regarding our cultural divide.  

Today is  63  on my path to 108  Long form FP meditation.   An emerging break through is the dropping away of monkey mind and feeling of  centered breath.   There is also an increasing sense of rootedness and flow of qi in both long and short wave vibrations.  quite often I feel as if I have an 'electric bracelet' on my right wrist.  and continuing opening of bai hui.  

at this stage I am feeling very much like this IS  my current path ... don't get distracted!

Happy New Year all beings

Hoa Binh

• Like 2