Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu Dunn,

I just got a chance to view the FP Qigong Video Tapes and while the instruction quality is good, they are visually lacking (somewhat of a slightly blurred image). Can you tell me if your DVD series has been reworked or enhanced?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Baguakid

Bakuakid,

The Chi Kung For Health (Flying Phoenix) DVD's are all top-quality in terms of image resolution. The programs were shot on DVcam and mastered to digibeta. Then to DLT's, glass masters and finally on to DVD's.

Any DVD of CKFH series that's blurry is either a faulty disc or an illegal knock-off.

If you came across an old VHS copy tha's blurry, that's probably due to degradation of the tape. I think we stopped selling VHS copies of CKFH I think back in 2001.

Sifu Dunn,

I just got a chance to view the FP Qigong Video Tapes and while the instruction quality is good, they are visually lacking (somewhat of a slightly blurred image). Can you tell me if your DVD series has been reworked or enhanced?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Sifu Dunn,

I just ordered your flying phoenix chi kung dvds 1 & 2 thanks to all the information I had read on this forum. I am excited to try them out. When I receive the dvds, can I start out with the sitting meditation dvd first? I am nursing a few injuries that makes it difficult for me to stand and put too much weight on one leg. Do the standing meditations have to be done first before the sitting meditations?

thanks

Hi Sifu Dunn,

I just ordered your flying phoenix chi kung dvds 1 & 2 thanks to all the information I had read on this forum. I am excited to try them out. When I receive the dvds, can I start out with the sitting meditation dvd first? I am nursing a few injuries that makes it difficult for me to stand and put too much weight on one leg. Do the standing meditations have to be done first before the sitting meditations?

thanks

Hello mkim680,

You're welcome. I'm glad you delving into this sublime and powerful system.

Answer: Yes you can do the seated meditations first or even exclusively, although for best results, both standing and seated exercises should be done.

Tip: in Volume One, The Basic Standing Exercises, "Monk Holding Pearl" (hands at the tan tien) with breath control sequence 50 40 30 20 10 can be done in any position: standing, seated, supine (lying one one's back). When I was working at Cedars Sinai Medical Center for the head of the dept. of cardio thoracic surgery, I taught his acute-care post-operative patients "Monk Holding Pearl" lying done and the basic seated med's of Vol. 2 because none of the recovering patients could get on their feet after having their chests re-plumbed.

So to answer again: Yes, you can do the seated first. With regular practice of the seated med's (in sets of 7) you will eventually feel pronounced energy effects in the upper body, head/neck region--of the likes you've never experience before. Feel free to check back with me with more questions as they arise.

Enjoy your practice!

Sifu Dunn

Sifu Terry -

Your stories and explanations are fantastic and also quite informative. There is a wow factor to some of your stories...very good reading.

As one who has practiced Flying Phoenix qigong for only about 2 months now, I can attest to the power of the system. When I finish the sets, I feel amazingly refreshed and revitalized with a really strong energy. At least for now, I avoid practicing FP later at night, because the energy created keeps me awake for several hours! It's pretty encouraging to hear what one can expect with a diligent practice of the basic Flying Phoenix sets.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post on this forum. Really excellent stuff!

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I want to thank you again for starting this discussion thread on Taobums, for it has gotten me to share some info with the Forum that's appropriate to put out at this time, and it has also put me in touch with another instructor who has learned from GM Doo Wai, namely Sifu Garry Hearfield in Australia. We've been comparing notes and this wouldn't have been possible had you not enthusiastically started this thread. Thanks again.

I hope you're getting deeper into the FP practice and that it's turning out to be more delightful and profound than you first expected. It's an art that has surprising benefits. Feel free to write in should you have further questions.

I have another favor to ask. whenever you have the time, would be so kind as to write a review/critique (similar to what you said to start this discussion) of any of the Chi Kung For Health DVD's and submit it to amazon.com? There are presently 11 nice reviews for Vol. 1 and about 7 for Vol. 2 and any additional comments by you would help spread the gospel according to the Flying PHoenix!

here's the link to the reviews of CKFH Vol. 1:

http://www.amazon.com/Chi-Kung-Health-Gong-Meditations/product-reviews/B0008EN6L8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks so very much!

Terry Dunn

Hi Terry Sifu,

I think its amazing that you have come here to share your knowledge plus I have touched base with a long time student of the same teacher. We are all kung fu brothers on the same journey using different methods!

Sifu Terry, I may email you is your email the same one on your site or do you hve a private one?

Regards

Garry

Sifu Terry -

I am really Fu_dog. But after the site upgrade I could not logon. After unsuccessfully trying a number of different ways to logon, I decided to create this new Username. ;-)

So, first, thank you for your kind words. But more important thank you for taking all the time to answer each question. The information you have provided here is awesome! I have actually cut and pasted most of your responses into a Word doc for reference. Some of your content here could be used in the first few chapters of a book, should you decide to write one.

I love you advice to "Just do the practice". That's the approach I have been taking. I find the Flying Phoenix energy itself reveals itself to me in stronger ways, the more I practice. On one of your training videos, you mention that the benefits are "cumulative". That's putting it mildly. ;-)

Also, you had said that only 15 minutes per day would yield strong effects. I have found that is also quite true! I often work 12 hour days, and have limited time for practice, however, I have made sure I get in 15 minutes of FP even on my busiest days, and I really have been astounded by the effects.

One question Sifu - as one progresses in the FP practice, particularly with the Seated Meditations, there is so much energy generated that you WANT to move in a swaying motion especially the neck and head but sometimes also the trunk. What is your guidance for this? Is it better to try and control the desire to sway, or simply to allow it to flow?

Sifu Terry -

I am really Fu_dog. But after the site upgrade I could not logon. After unsuccessfully trying a number of different ways to logon, I decided to create this new Username. ;-)

So, first, thank you for your kind words. But more important thank you for taking all the time to answer each question. The information you have provided here is awesome! I have actually cut and pasted most of your responses into a Word doc for reference. Some of your content here could be used in the first few chapters of a book, should you decide to write one.

I love you advice to "Just do the practice". That's the approach I have been taking. I find the Flying Phoenix energy itself reveals itself to me in stronger ways, the more I practice. On one of your training videos, you mention that the benefits are "cumulative". That's putting it mildly. ;-)

Also, you had said that only 15 minutes per day would yield strong effects. I have found that is also quite true! I often work 12 hour days, and have limited time for practice, however, I have made sure I get in 15 minutes of FP even on my busiest days, and I really have been astounded by the effects.

One question Sifu - as one progresses in the FP practice, particularly with the Seated Meditations, there is so much energy generated that you WANT to move in a swaying motion especially the neck and head but sometimes also the trunk. What is your guidance for this? Is it better to try and control the desire to sway, or simply to allow it to flow?

Dear Foo Dog, aka Fu Dog:

I'm glad to hear you are following thee old Nike slogan/advice to "just do it"--and are getting good results. From what you've written, all the signs are that you are practicing correctly. You've experienced the fact that the FP meditations have cumulative energy effects. a tangible reserve will build with daily practice of even just 10 minutes per session. Of course, more is better. (In the beginning years, I did the FP for 60 to 120 minutes per day. then when I teach occasional workshops, I'm teaching all the exercises on Vols. 1 thru 7 and the Long Form Standing on Vol. 4 six hours a day in three 2-hour sessions. So I actually get to enjoy more practice when i teach. Just sharing my experience).

With regards to the involuntary vibraatory motion and swaying of the upper body, head and neck areas caused by the seated FP meditations: JUST RELAX AND LET THE ENERGY MOVE YOU NATURALLY. YIELD TO IT FOR IT IS A SMOOTH AND SUBLIME HEALING ENERGY. and the energy will move your body naturally if you relax. The vibratory effects of the FP energy will ALWAYS subside eventually.

FACT: One cannot cultivate too much of this FP Healing Chi--or "OD" on it. You will find that even with continuously strong vibratory/swaying effects that causes your upper body to displace from verticle by more than a foot in any direction, that involuntary movements will ALWAYS eventually subside. And when it does subside, you will have attained a slightly more relaxed state than ever before, and will have integrated more of the FP energy. With more practice, you become more comfortable with the FP energy.

That's the wonderful thing about the FP system: follow the instructions and it works safely; it is totally self-regulating and cannot cause an excess or imbalance of energies.

But you also don't have to go through each meditation so long that the vibratory effects of the energy subsides. You can stop at any time by taking the 3 deep breathes and counting yourself out.

have fun--but make sure you do each meditation correctly. (if you ever do a breath control sequence wrong, take 3 breathes to count yourself out, then start all over again.)

Sifu Terry Dunn

Dear Foo Dog, aka Fu Dog:

I'm glad to hear you are following thee old Nike slogan/advice to "just do it"--and are getting good results. From what you've written, all the signs are that you are practicing correctly. You've experienced the fact that the FP meditations have cumulative energy effects. a tangible reserve will build with daily practice of even just 10 minutes per session. Of course, more is better. (In the beginning years, I did the FP for 60 to 120 minutes per day. then when I teach occasional workshops, I'm teaching all the exercises on Vols. 1 thru 7 and the Long Form Standing on Vol. 4 six hours a day in three 2-hour sessions. So I actually get to enjoy more practice when i teach. Just sharing my experience).

With regards to the involuntary vibraatory motion and swaying of the upper body, head and neck areas caused by the seated FP meditations: JUST RELAX AND LET THE ENERGY MOVE YOU NATURALLY. YIELD TO IT FOR IT IS A SMOOTH AND SUBLIME HEALING ENERGY. and the energy will move your body naturally if you relax. The vibratory effects of the FP energy will ALWAYS subside eventually.

FACT: One cannot cultivate too much of this FP Healing Chi--or "OD" on it. You will find that even with continuously strong vibratory/swaying effects that causes your upper body to displace from verticle by more than a foot in any direction, that involuntary movements will ALWAYS eventually subside. And when it does subside, you will have attained a slightly more relaxed state than ever before, and will have integrated more of the FP energy. With more practice, you become more comfortable with the FP energy.

That's the wonderful thing about the FP system: follow the instructions and it works safely; it is totally self-regulating and cannot cause an excess or imbalance of energies.

But you also don't have to go through each meditation so long that the vibratory effects of the energy subsides. You can stop at any time by taking the 3 deep breathes and counting yourself out.

have fun--but make sure you do each meditation correctly. (if you ever do a breath control sequence wrong, take 3 breathes to count yourself out, then start all over again.)

Sifu Terry Dunn

I'm re-posting my answers here to questions that I answered from another Taobums member who asked the questions through a P.M. because they are basic features of the Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditation System:

1. There is no problem with mixing the practice of FP Qigong with other forms of qigong or meditation. Flying PHoenix --as presented on Volumes 1 thru 7 of my Chi Kung for Health DVD series, is very benign and very safe. As I stated above to Foo Dog, it is self-regulating and it is not possible to accidentally create an excess of FP energy or an imbalance of energies---that is, unless the practitioner does something REALLY, REALLY stupid and contra-indicated like making up his own breath control sequences and they happen to be harmful--or NOT doing the three preliminary breathes or the three terminating breathes.

***The one safeguard ever FP practitioner needs to observe is to practice in a quiet and totally secluded space where there is no danger of any person or thing running into you or disturbing you with loud noise while you're in the FP Qigong posture(s). this is because the FPCHCM system so sensitizes the integrated mind-body that if someone does get hit or even if a sudden loud noise interrrupts--that could damage your internal energy on a very deep level.***

2. As stated in earlier posts, the FPCHCM system is a medical/healing qigong system that was the first internal system taht GM Doo Wai taught us starting in 1991 at the same time that he started teaching me and my classmates Bok Fu Pai forms fighting techniques. It is a "back-up" system for self-healing and a great starter system to learn how to heal others or to empower whatever energy-healing art one already has under his belt. FP is also the foundation or introduction (at least for us) to the other internal systems of the Bok Fu Pai system.

3. Another quality of the FP system is that one does NOT have to abstain in anyway from sexual activity.

this is something GM Doo Wai clearly told me in the beginning in 1991m because other systems that I had studied, such as Tao Tan Pai, require periods of strict celibacy when certain advanced yogas were being practiced/established. The qigong process behind FP and other Bok Fu Pai systems, which I call "alchemy" does not transmute sexual energy in the same way as Tao Tan Pai OR the Taoist Yoga system that Charles Luk writes about in his books.

While we were practicing both basic standing and seated FP meditations (seated ones collectively called "Monk Serves Wine") in the early years, and then with the other more advanced martial qigong systems in later years, GM Doo Wai basically and jocularly told us to "knock ourselves out" when it came to sexual activity--because all the stuff in our training--including cooking with Chinese herbs (we made a training porridge or "jook" (IN Cantonese) constantly during our training) and ingesting of powerful herbs via alchohol tinctures and honey-based pills) kept that sexual component replenished and in balance.

Personally, because I observe moderation and went through long periods without sexual activity in the 1990's, GMDW actually encouraged me to go "get busy"--for sexual activity is important to exercising one's totality of energy, obviously. Throughout those 6 years, we were all elated that the Bok Fu Pai's "set theory" and actual practice regarding sexual activity was: "No problem whatsoever" . And the way that GM Doo Wai emphasized the point to us from the very get-go, established a school-wide attitude that there was never any fear--or subscription to the belief-- that sexual activity during the course of Bok Fu Pai internal training would have the least bit detrimental effect.

So my general advice to any concerned about sexual activity while doing Flying Phoenix Qigong, which I'm sure you'll all be glad to here is: NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!

NOTE: This, of course, applies only to Flying Phoenix and other Bai Fu Pai internal practices. Not to any other internal arts outside of Bai Fu Pai.

***Sifu Hearfield, what's your take on this matter?***

Peace and Love,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

Sifu Terry Dunn

Dear Sifu, I try to take the initial breaths and base my ratios for the rest on these, but I don't feel very confident. It seems inconsistent and different every time and I always wonder if I am getting it right and getting it right every time.

Appreciate any tips.

Sifu Dunn,

Let me add something in regards to your statements about sexual activity about. To that I would also add that it depends on the individual's condition which I'm sure you already know. When I observed the old video of you teaching FPCK the first thing I noticed was the state of your physical condition. Your Xiantian and Houtian conditions were/are very good. In contrast, for example and for the other readers here, my situation was opposite. My Xiantian and Houtian were both very poor. So, I must be careful with sexual activity until the state of my body says otherwise. I just want to throw this out for others to consider when reading this thread.

Would you agree?

Edited by Baguakid

I would also like to ask if the two systems (SKL and GMDW) have a different approach in terms of longevity. Sifu Dunn, since you are close to both and have been for a long time, what are your observations? Would you say that SKL's system is better in terms of longevity or is there little difference in your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Baguakid

Hi Terry Sifu,

I think its amazing that you have come here to share your knowledge plus I have touched base with a long time student of the same teacher. We are all kung fu brothers on the same journey using different methods!

Sifu Terry, I may email you is your email the same one on your site or do you hve a private one?

Regards

Garry

Hi Sifu Garry,

I think it's amazing that I could discover another student of GM Doo Wai through this website--and my recent introduction to it by an enthusistic student and supporter of Flying Phoenix Qigong, "Fu_Dog". [Thanks again, Fu Dog!]

You can continue to PM here thru this site, or contact me by my general business email, which appears on my DVD products: [email protected] or [email protected].

I look forward to our continuing correspondence.

Best Regards,

Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello Sifu Dunn,

I'm *really* enjoying the FPCK exercises and I had a queston, Which

exercises from Vol.1 or Vol.2 would you recommend for helping with any

leg blockages?

Many thanks for your time and all the best,

Rene'

Dear Sifu, I try to take the initial breaths and base my ratios for the rest on these, but I don't feel very confident. It seems inconsistent and different every time and I always wonder if I am getting it right and getting it right every time.

Appreciate any tips.

Dear Jinjujitsu,

Sorry to take so long to reply...I've been off the site for 10+ days busy with extremely busy teaching schedule.

You just have to practice more until you get the hang of the percentage breath controls and feel more comfortable with it. Once you get comfortable and feel some results, you'll feel more confident of what you're doing.

Try first mentally calibrating your normal breath (which you take each time with the 3 priming breathes at the start) into 10 parts. Mentally count from 1 to 10 with each normal breath you take--no matter how fast you have to count in the beginning. Once you establish those 10 counts, then use those counts to exhale whatever %'s the particular FP exercise calls for. All the breath controls are based on your normal breath cycle. It is RELATIVE--but it is not arbitrary.

NOTE: make sure you don't hold your breath at any point in the sequences. There is no retention (holding of the breath) in beginning levels of the FP system.

Good luck.

Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Dear Jinjujitsu,

Sorry to take so long to reply...I've been off the site for 10+ days busy with extremely busy teaching schedule.

You just have to practice more until you get the hang of the percentage breath controls and feel more comfortable with it. Once you get comfortable and feel some results, you'll feel more confident of what you're doing.

Try first mentally calibrating your normal breath (which you take each time with the 3 priming breathes at the start) into 10 parts. Mentally count from 1 to 10 with each normal breath you take--no matter how fast you have to count in the beginning. Once you establish those 10 counts, then use those counts to exhale whatever %'s the particular FP exercise calls for. All the breath controls are based on your normal breath cycle. It is RELATIVE--but it is not arbitrary.

NOTE: make sure you don't hold your breath at any point in the sequences. There is no retention (holding of the breath) in beginning levels of the FP system.

Good luck.

Terry Dunn

Dear Sifu,

Thank you. That was really really helpful. Thanks again for sharing your insights on this wonderful practice. I sure wish you bring out more learn at home products for the various other energy arts you know as FP videos are really one of their kind - they seem to have a soul of their own. Thanks to this forum/Sean as well for having got a chance to interact with you. Looking forward to hear more from you. :)

Sifu Dunn,

Let me add something in regards to your statements about sexual activity about. To that I would also add that it depends on the individual's condition which I'm sure you already know. When I observed the old video of you teaching FPCK the first thing I noticed was the state of your physical condition. Your Xiantian and Houtian conditions were/are very good. In contrast, for example and for the other readers here, my situation was opposite. My Xiantian and Houtian were both very poor. So, I must be careful with sexual activity until the state of my body says otherwise. I just want to throw this out for others to consider when reading this thread.

Would you agree?

Bakuakid,

Every person must gauge and regulate their sexual activity so that they do not deplete themselves. That said,

The Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong will dramatically ignite the natural healing processes of the body. I taught it with good effect to the nursing staff of the Cardio-thoracic Surgery Dept. of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Bev. Hills in 1999-2000, who taught it to its acute-care post-operative patients (i.e., people who had their chests majorly re-plumbed) to accelerate healing without the use of pain-killing drugs (which cause all kinds of side-effects and slows down healing).

While I can't know your condition that you describe as "very poor" energetically in terms of Xiantian and Houtian without seeing you in person, I do know that practicing FP Qigong absolutely cannot hurt you. that is, you have everything to gain. So if you care, to, just give it stab.

Just the basic one, Monk Holding Pearl, with % exhalations of 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 (after 3 full breaths, and with a full breath in between each % exhalation), can be done standing, seated or supine. I've used this qigong exercise from the strongest of the strong--athletes like the entire L.A. Laker team (year was 2000) to people on their deathbeds--including my own mother in 2005.

The nature of teh FP system is that once it is put into practice on a daily basis (i.e., one is eventually doing all the exercises in the DVD series for about 5-6 months), there is no need to curtail sexual activity.

Terry Dunn

I would also like to ask if the two systems (SKL and GMDW) have a different approach in terms of longevity. Sifu Dunn, since you are close to both and have been for a long time, what are your observations? Would you say that SKL's system is better in terms of longevity or is there little difference in your opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Bakuakid,

Interesting question. You're really putting me to the task here...

--and here's my answer: Both GM Doo Wai's internal systems under the White Tiger Kung-fu banner and Master Share K. Lew's Tan Tan Pai neigong system are both extremely powerful and COMPLETE internal schools and both provide profound anti-aging benefits and impart longevity. Longevity, however, is only a side effect.

One can't really compare and rate the effects of GMDW's Qigong against SKL's qigong because the latter is a monastic tradition that started during the Tang Dynasty and with it goes the monastic lifestyle that changes everything if one were to adhere to it; while GMDW's arts were reportedly developed or distilled to their present form in the 1600's by Feng Tao Teh. the history of these Feng Tao Teh's internal arts before 1600 is unknown.

Regarding longevity: in the early 1980's, Master Lew was receiving by letter nuanced modifications to one of the advanced TTP Yogas called the "9 Forms" from his teacher in southern China who was residing in a cave and was 128 years old. GMDW's father was not alive at the time for he had long passed of unnatural causes. So there is no way to say which system is more effective in terms of imparting longevity by seeing how long their source practitioners lived.

Around 1984 there was an L.A.Times article about a Chinese farmer who was verified to be 140 years old and still leading an active life. There was a photo ofhim. the article said that he still had nice hair and had grown in his THIRD set of teeth. Chinese historians who questioned him said that they verified everything that he experienced as a young child in the 1850's. When asked what he attributed his longevity to, he said "being a vegetarian all his life, never touching a drop of alchohol all his life, and practicing Tai Chi and Qigong since the age of six." What type of Qigong, the article didn't say. So lifestyle plus Tai Chi/Qigong can make all the difference.

My experience: both TTP and BFP systems are complete and powerful schools of Yoga* that can create the structural sensitivity and psychic power to experience and literally "see" all life as an energy process, and both systems when completed will empower the practitioner with at least three times the energy level that one is born with and carries into adult life--thus empowering both healing art and martial art to that much greater potency. They are completely different methods of alchemy--that is, formulas to coordinate the functions of eyes, mind, movement and breath to energize the body and mind and purify the spirit.

The TTP system is highly structured to train and develop Taoist priests...who can perform spiritual operations as well as masterfully heal and fight with energy. (This is reflected in Tao Tan Pai's subtitle.) TTP is a highly refined system in that it has specific yogas to empower specific physiological functions. For example, one of the advanced TTP neigung exercises completely changes how one sees and hears. All Master Lew said at the time he taught it was, "this is good for your eyes." (LOL)

GMDW's tradition develops the same capacity to perceive and deal with spiritual entities but using a totally different alchemic yoga. Its cultivation of mental and psychic powers is profound and of a very different "flavor" than the TTP method. On one occasion, GMDW had me and a fellow classmate, a good friend, practice the same meditation at the same time but 5 miles apart from each other. That night, we both had dreams, except the modality (format) of the dream was completely switched. I had my friend's style/format/type of dream which I had never before experienced in my life; he had my type/format of dream, which he had never experienced in his entire life. The content of each dream "belonged" to the other person, but each of us understood what the dream subject was and what it meant. Now that is what I call YOGA. UNION.

GMDW told me throughout my training with him that "healing was the most important thing."

While most of the students who gravitated towards him during his life were more--if not exclusively--interested in getting his incredibly potent martial arts,I found that by practicing the healing arts, my martial art got that much better. And I hope I live that much longer as a result!

And with that. I will leave you to redouble your practice.

Whatever system you have access to that is complete and authentic, I hope you just do it.

Best,

Terry Dunn

P.S. *btw, I use the term "Yoga" in the greatest sense of the word, as used by W.Y.Evans-Wentz in his 1935 masterpiece tome, "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines"--and DONT' mean the weak, tepid, downstream, over-commercialized Indian-yoga derivatives in America that is truly next to useless (in that it doesn't even bring any lasting relaxation to practitioners) and that continues to spread like a really bad fad throughout society. Indian yoga practice should return to its mode in the 1960's--an exclusive endeavor under real guru's and not under any tom, dick, or jane who practices for 18 months and decides to open a yoga studio.

• Like 4

Dear Sifu Dunn,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Greatly appreciated.

Around 1984 there was an L.A.Times article about a Chinese farmer who was verified to be 140 years old and still leading an active life. There was a photo ofhim. the article said that he still had nice hair and had grown in his THIRD set of teeth. Chinese historians who questioned him said that they verified everything that he experienced as a young child in the 1850's. When asked what he attributed his longevity to, he said "being a vegetarian all his life, never touching a drop of alchohol all his life, and practicing Tai Chi and Qigong since the age of six." What type of Qigong, the article didn't say. So lifestyle plus Tai Chi/Qigong can make all the difference.

Teeth are associated with the Kidneys so whatever he was doing was causing his Kidney health (along with the rest of his health) to be incredibly strong.

In regards to Vegetarianism, I met one Qigong Master who said the degeneration of the body is largely do to the excessive consumption of ACID forming foods ( see Ph Miracle). That URL is not to the Master but a western perspective of the same point of view.

In fact, this Qigong Master's entire exercise program had to do with reducing the Acid build up in the body as well as Building Kidney strength.

I also met another teacher in China who's theoretical approach was very similar but with a different exercise routine.

Very interesting.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Best,

Edited by Baguakid

Dear Sifu,

Thank you. That was really really helpful. Thanks again for sharing your insights on this wonderful practice. I sure wish you bring out more learn at home products for the various other energy arts you know as FP videos are really one of their kind - they seem to have a soul of their own. Thanks to this forum/Sean as well for having got a chance to interact with you. Looking forward to hear more from you. :)

You're very welcome. I hope to produce more how-to programs in the future. The success of the Flying Phoenix Qigong DVD's is due to the quality of this wonderful art. I just teach the art on-camera in the exact same way that I was taught.

Feel free to ask more questions through this forum.

Best,

Terry Dunn

Hi Sifu Terry, I bought the volume 2 dvd a few weeks back and really love this practice and have a few questions. I have a lot of trouble remaining in half lotus for a long period of time and would like to know if it is ok to practice sitting on a chair. What I may do is once half lotus and once sitting in a chair as I extend to doing the practice twice a day soon if this is ok. I was also thinking of sharing the practice with my mom and I know half lotus is out of the question for her. It seems like my left foot keeps falling asleep. I am currently practicing the first 3 and then number 6 on volume 2 early in the day and would like to know if I practice 14 repititions of number 6 should I do the breathing sequence twice or just one time like I am currently doing? Thanks for sharing this practice as I was searching for a good Medical Qi Gong system and look forward to adding the volume 1 standing dvd soon-Bill.

Hi Sifu Terry, I bought the volume 2 dvd a few weeks back and really love this practice and have a few questions. I have a lot of trouble remaining in half lotus for a long period of time and would like to know if it is ok to practice sitting on a chair. What I may do is once half lotus and once sitting in a chair as I extend to doing the practice twice a day soon if this is ok. I was also thinking of sharing the practice with my mom and I know half lotus is out of the question for her. It seems like my left foot keeps falling asleep. I am currently practicing the first 3 and then number 6 on volume 2 early in the day and would like to know if I practice 14 repititions of number 6 should I do the breathing sequence twice or just one time like I am currently doing? Thanks for sharing this practice as I was searching for a good Medical Qi Gong system and look forward to adding the volume 1 standing dvd soon-Bill.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for you positive feedback on the Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.

Regarding seated med's: Try to do them in the half-lotus if at all possible. it may take hard work...such as stretching extensively to make the half-lotus more comfortable. While in 1/2-lotus,lean your torso over left knee; then swing over to the right knee; swing back to leaning over the left knee; repeat slowly many times.

That said, if 1/2-lotus is inmpossible for you to do, then you can try the FP seated med's in a chair. I've told many older students with stiff legs to do this only after they've exhausted all attempts to get comfortable with the half-lotus position. When you're beginning to learn the FP Qigong, do each "Monk Serves Wine" exercise for 7 repetitions. If you want to do another set of 7 reps, take 3 breaths, come out of meditation. Then start anew with another breath control sequence.

It's best to balance teh seated FP meditations with the standing ones, which are more powerful (although many people feel more tangible energy circulating when they do the seated meditations).

Glad you're enjoying the practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

In some of the BFP meditations i have there is lotus/half also, chair seated meds but with my Burning Palm System its done in a chair but there is a special reason for it. Ill email you about it privately!

Depending on the outcome of the meditations, as Hui Yin is earted in lotus but the Hui Yin has nothing to do with the chair seated meds ill explain by email. Very interesting ways of unlocking certain glands in the brain that Sifu said brings forth the Pyshcic powers. This also depends on what the meditations are for also!!

Take care

Garry

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

In some of the BFP meditations i have there is lotus/half also, chair seated meds but with my Burning Palm System its done in a chair but there is a special reason for it. Ill email you about it privately!

Depending on the outcome of the meditations, as Hui Yin is earted in lotus but the Hui Yin has nothing to do with the chair seated meds ill explain by email. Very interesting ways of unlocking certain glands in the brain that Sifu said brings forth the Pyshcic powers. This also depends on what the meditations are for also!!

Take care

Garry

Thanks, Sifu Garry, I look forward to your note.

Yes, there are some BFP meditations that are done in half-lotus, some in chair, and some seated in "L" position with legs extended forward perpendicular to torso. And they all have different effects.

Best,

Terry