Sign in to follow this  
NeiChuan

When is it showing off?

I've been wondering.. To others perspective when is using a method you've learned showing off..

Like if your wrestling and your using your method so your rooted and they can't bring you down.

When just playing around would it be frowned on to experiment around other people? Its not needed I know but just when your improvising or something.. Would it be so wrong?

Im not talking about things to hurt the opponent but rather to just have the advantage to what your doing.

In short.... When to draw the line?

Hmmm...

Good question.... I left my last martial arts teacher because he was a show off... For me, I only use my abilites with fellow practitioners or students. I never show my abilities to someone who is not trained in IMA's. So, I would venture a guess that if it feels like you are showing off, you may be...

I knew someone who was pretty advanced internal martial artist who said, "I have taken a vow that I will never use my abilities on anyone unless I am: in immediate physical danger or demonstrating on one of my students in class and never while angry."

That sounds pretty wise to me...

I've been wondering.. To others perspective when is using a method you've learned showing off..

Like if your wrestling and your using your method so your rooted and they can't bring you down.

When just playing around would it be frowned on to experiment around other people? Its not needed I know but just when your improvising or something.. Would it be so wrong?

Im not talking about things to hurt the opponent but rather to just have the advantage to what your doing.

In short.... When to draw the line?

Just as a principle, it's usually better to look weak and unskilled.

Very true. There is great power in not giving it all away at a glance.

Most people who show off generally are very insecure and power-minded.

I used to know a person who could meditate for 4 solid days with no food, sleep, or water. He was a bit psychic and could feel other people's emotions even from a distance. He once offered to cleanse me of nervous energy back in the days when I did not cut out a path. He claimed he could feel it in me. So I dared him to do his little magic. He took away all that nervousness and replaced it with an extremely blissful feeling that placed my thinking to a standstill.

He was always a showoff to some degree; although I find it ironic that he was a big part of the reason why I am here right now. He had made me re evaluate everything that I believed about.

I just find it funny; the same person who had such knowledge about energy was completely clueless about women. He had a date once and he never quit pestering me as to what to wear and what to say etc. And he's the same person who told ME to let go of fear.. :lol:

Just a few of my memories.

Very true. There is great power in not giving it all away at a glance.

Most people who show off generally are very insecure and power-minded.

I used to know a person who could meditate for 4 solid days with no food, sleep, or water. He was a bit psychic and could feel other people's emotions even from a distance. He once offered to cleanse me of nervous energy back in the days when I did not cut out a path. He claimed he could feel it in me. So I dared him to do his little magic. He took away all that nervousness and replaced it with an extremely blissful feeling that placed my thinking to a standstill.

He was always a showoff to some degree; although I find it ironic that he was a big part of the reason why I am here right now. He had made me re evaluate everything that I believed about.

I just find it funny; the same person who had such knowledge about energy was completely clueless about women. He had a date once and he never quit pestering me as to what to wear and what to say etc. And he's the same person who told ME to let go of fear.. :lol:

Just a few of my memories.

Ahh. Finally a topic in which I am an expert.

I am a show off. Or hopefully I WAS a show off.

But showing off is not necessarily showing off. In the first couple of years of my training with the system I am practicing, I attended a five animals retreat, a sword retreat, and a couple of others. And I was a complete jackass.

I've always been kind of "prudent" or just socially in control. And before I started practicing, there was always a degree of reluctance to throw myself into any kind of spontaneous expression of feeling or emotion. But during my first 5 animals retreat I had so much energy I was hanging from beams in the ceiling, literally running on the walls, and jumping up and down like an idiot. But it was just an outlet. I was so blissful, happy and packed with energy that I just had to. It felt wonderful. I felt like a superhero. I could jump down from a boardwalk, 5 meters down to the beach and just land like a cat. But only later did I hear that other participants felt abit invaded by my wildness. And after that I felt both irritated that they put me down and abit like an idiot. I was probably very annoying. The same thing happened next retreat, as I was hanging upside down from trees, doing monkey freeplay and spinning around with my sword like a tornado. Pretty much being a moron.

But the balance between showing off, and just expressing naturally your joy or energy is very fine. And actually, allthough your body is just expressing, your ego may hitch a ride. That happened to me.

I think the most nauseating creature of all is the totally aware, totally self-conscious and "spiritual" practitioner who is completely aware of his or her lack of spontaneity.

Until we become very skilled and very realized, its fine to be a show off to some degree. As long as it's in the form of Tigger in Pooh the Bear. If you know what I mean.

h

Sign in to follow this