Sign in to follow this  
C T

The Book of Great Liberation

This is an excerpt from the profound teachings of Padmasambhava, taken from The Book of Great Liberation.

It centralizes on understanding what "Mind" is, its absolute self-radiance, and how, through realization of Mind Essence, one can transform basic ignorance of one's true nature, instantaneously, spontaneously, effortlessly. Hence it should be regarded as a 'deeper' Buddhist teaching, but IMO, is most suitable for serious cultivators of Dao as well.

This is mainly for those who, like me, believe that the Mind is the seat of all of Man's joys and sorrows, and whether we live in one way, or the other, is wholly dependent on how we 'tame' this thing called Mind. I guess it wont be for everyone, especially the younger Bums, so apologies there. For the others, even the seasoned Daoists, it will definitely prove to be a great insight into Mind Essence.

Have a listen:

good stuff... timely too; I'm just re-reading the chapter on the essence of mind in the Tibetan Book of L&D, this ties in nicely.

Thanks.

This is a very profound text by Guru Padmasambhava which I love and think is a very good guide.

However the translation provided in the youtube video is an old version and there are many errors and wrong interpretations by the part of the translator.

I highly recommend the translation Self-Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness, translated by John Myrdhin Reynolds, a scholar and student of the Dzogchen master Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche who wrote a foreword in his book. His book contains a commentary of the text which is also a good read.

Here's the translation by John Myrdhin Reynolds: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/200...eeing-with.html

Padmasambhava created the entire monastic system in Tibet, with myriad rules and superstitions. His teachings were not about liberation but were about suppression. The monastic system was nothing more than a feudalistic and theocratic state religion.

Why are human primates fascinated with authoritarian systems? Furthermore what is the fascination with beings such as Padmasambhava et al.?

The monastic system in Tibet created a class of uneducated slaves to grovel and support the system. The Potala Palace is a classic example of authoritarian dominance and "divine right of kings".

ralis

Edited by ralis

Padmasambhava created the entire monastic system in Tibet, with myriad rules and superstitions. His teachings were not about liberation but were about suppression. The monastic system was nothing more than a feudalistic and theocratic state religion.

Why are human primates fascinated with authoritarian systems? Furthermore what is the fascination with beings such as Padmasambhava et al.?

The monastic system in Tibet created a class of uneducated slaves to grovel and support the system. The Potala Palace is a classic example of authoritarian dominance and "divine right of kings".

ralis

Is this really true? It is my understanding that the old system that padmasambhava set up did not have too much to do with the government other then letting vajrayana buddhism stay in tibet. From my own knowledge it was the gelugs later on in history who were more interested in political matters. Although I must say I am no expert in this field, could someone elaborate?

Then, as for the secret instruction, which teaches that the three times are one:

You should relinquish all notions of the past and abandon all precedents.

You should cut off all plans and expectations with respect to the future.

And in the present, you should not grasp (at thoughts that arise) but allow (the mind) to remain in a state like the sky.-quote. padmasambavha.

You should look into what is self-arising and self-originated.

With respect to these appearances, in the beginning they must arise from somewhere,

In between they must remain somewhere, and at the end they must go somewhere.

Yet when you look (into this matter), it is, for example, like a crow gazing into a well.

When he flies away from the well, (his reflection) also departs from the well and does not return.

In the same way, appearances arise from the mind;

they arise from the mind and are liberated into the mind.

The nature of the mind which (has the capacity) to know everything and be aware of everything is empty and clear;

As is the case with the sky above, its emptiness and its clarity have been inseparable from the very beginning.

Self-originated primal awareness becomes manifest,

And becoming systematically established as luminous clarity, just this is the Dharmata, the nature of reality.-quote.padmasambavha.

So all sentient beings, even though they possess the actual essence of Buddhahood,

Will not realize Buddhahood without engaging in practice.

If he practices, then even a cowherd can realize liberation.

Even though he does not know the explanation, he can systematically establish himself in the experience of it.

(For example) when one has had the experience of actually tasting sugar in one's own mouth,

one does not need to have that taste explained by someone else.-quote.padmasambavha.

How wonderful!

As for this "Self-Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness" which is a direct introduction to one's own intrinsic awareness,

It is for the benefit of those sentient beings belonging to the later generations of those future degenerate times-quote. padmasambavha.

ralis

I think it's simply what was appropriate at the time, given the conditions of the people.

Padmasambhava was a master, a fully enlightened being. the fascination has to do with the Tantric system of using symbology to motivate and devote yourself to awakening to your true nature.

I think it's simply what was appropriate at the time, given the conditions of the people.

Padmasambhava was a master, a fully enlightened being. the fascination has to do with the Tantric system of using symbology to motivate and devote yourself to awakening to your true nature.

Why do intelligent people such as yourself, fall into the "higher cause" trap? Are you a time traveler and know for certain what the conditions were? Who cares if Padmasambhava was an enlightened being! What gives him the right to determine what is best for anyone?

ralis

ralis

Even Hitler had valuable insights. Even an idiot can be a source of wisdom. An authoritarian can provide the clues for freedom. A poison can have the clues for medicine or an antidote. Drinking too much life-giving water can kill. Eating too much life-sustaining food can kill.

This is how Buddha can give us valuable food for thought without being worshiped as a deity, and this is how Buddha can simultaneously be an asshole and a good guy. This is why the Zen tradition speaks of "killing the Buddha".

Just be careful and you can handle even the dangerous substances safely.

Who cares if Padmasambhava was an enlightened being! What gives him the right to determine what is best for anyone?

ralis

No one and nothing gives him that right.

Enlightened beings simply act without asking for permission. In a sense this is what freedom is, but in another sense, this is what oppression is.

It's up to you to shake off people like Padmasambhava off your back. Shake all the Buddhas off and if they refuse to depart gracefully, cut their heads off. If you don't do that, you'll always be a slave. But if you do do that, you can find yourself to be an oppressor of the exact same kind you just shook off your back.

Edited by goldisheavy

Who cares if Padmasambhava was an enlightened being! What gives him the right to determine what is best for anyone?

ralis

Here's another way to answer:

You give him that right.

The way I understand it Padmasambhava was not determining what was right for everybody, but was simply teaching things the way he thought it was best to do so for his time period and the geographical region. I dont think he meant the system he created to be for everybody. Padma was originally from the oodiyana area (or at least lived there at one point), and he would have been exposed to a huge diversity of of different teachings that were available to him at the time. In regaurd vajrayana practitioners I have spoken to many have told me that one should do practices that they are naturally drawn to. So it does seem (at least in my experience) that many vajrayana systems today contain a good deal of liberty in that sense.

Also some people really need the authoritarianism, because they are too undisciplined or lack the motivation to do things on their own. In my opinion I think that everyone needs the right mix of authority and liberty in their life and the levels each individual needs are different.

Every practice done in Vajrayana is definitely not for everybody, and at this stage in my life the bulk of it is not for me. But that does not mean I have to throw the baby out with the bathwater because there are some practices I can benefit from at the moment. I think that today there is a trend in many people to disregaurd entire cultivation systems because they may not agree with a single aspect of the system or its history. For example even if vajrayana buddhism did at one point create a feudal system and commit violent atrocities and such, it does not mean the practices in their system are inherently evil.

The way I understand it Padmasambhava was not determining what was right for everybody, but was simply teaching things the way he thought it was best to do so for his time period and the geographical region. I dont think he meant the system he created to be for everybody. Padma was originally from the oodiyana area (or at least lived there at one point), and he would have been exposed to a huge diversity of of different teachings that were available to him at the time. In regaurd vajrayana practitioners I have spoken to many have told me that one should do practices that they are naturally drawn to. So it does seem (at least in my experience) that many vajrayana systems today contain a good deal of liberty in that sense.

Also some people really need the authoritarianism, because they are too undisciplined or lack the motivation to do things on their own. In my opinion I think that everyone needs the right mix of authority and liberty in their life and the levels each individual needs are different.

Every practice done in Vajrayana is definitely not for everybody, and at this stage in my life the bulk of it is not for me. But that does not mean I have to throw the baby out with the bathwater because there are some practices I can benefit from at the moment. I think that today there is a trend in many people to disregaurd entire cultivation systems because they may not agree with a single aspect of the system or its history. For example even if vajrayana buddhism did at one point create a feudal system and commit violent atrocities and such, it does not mean the practices in their system are inherently evil.

Nice perspective Alexandrov..

Your input is very much appreciated! :)

"Free indeed is one who has gone beyond extreme views."

Edited by CowTao

In regaurd vajrayana practitioners I have spoken to many have told me that one should do practices that they are naturally drawn to.

Within Buddhism.

For example even if vajrayana buddhism did at one point create a feudal system and commit violent atrocities and such, it does not mean the practices in their system are inherently evil.

Vajrayana Buddhism didn't/can't do anything, the people who are following it did/can.

Vajrayana Buddhism didn't/can't do anything, the people who are following it did/can.

well said, thats what i really wanted to come across, but i said it in the wrong way

Having read this thread I looked up Padmasambhava and his life story. Despite the problem of having to sort the factual from the mythic parts of his biography I have yet to find any evidence of an authoritarian oppressor (although he was born into a Brahmic royal family it seems). I can't see how he created a feudal system, especially as this kind of social organisation was more or less universal in the world until the agrarian reforms which accompanied the industrial revolution, starting in Europe and spreading across the world (not hitting Tibet until 1950s)... i.e. 200 years later. Everywhere, I think I am right in saying, the breakdown of feudal societies brought pain for the people (all of the peasants and some of the others), poverty, forced migration, war and famine. Tibet was so late in coming to these changes because of its remoteness - and the change came when technology (e.g. airplanes) made this less important ... a change which Padmasambhava famously predicted 1100 years earlier (approx.) in his poem ...which starts ..."When the iron bird flies, when horses run on wheels,
the king will come to the land of the red man"

If for the sake of argument a person is enlightened and they tell other people about it and teach them - that makes them authoritative but not necessarily authoritarian. If you believe he was not enlightened (without going into exactly what that means) then so what? If you think he was - then maybe his words are helpful.

Edited by apepch7

Having read this thread I looked up Padmasambhava and his life story. Despite the problem of having the sort the factual from the mythic parts of his biography I have yet to find any evidence of an authoritarian oppressor (although he was born into a Brahmic royal family it seems). I can't see how he created a feudal system, especially as this kind of social organisation was more or less universal in the world until the agrarian reforms which accompanied the industrial revolution, starting in Europe and spreading across the world (not hitting Tibet until 1950s)... i.e. 200 years later. Everywhere, I think I am right in saying, the breakdown of feudal societies brought pain for the people (all of the peasants and some of the others), poverty, forced migration, war and famine. Tibet was so late in coming to these changes because of its remoteness - and the change came when technology (e.g. airplanes) made this less important ... a change which Padmasambhava famously predicted 1100 years earlier (approx.) in his poem ...which starts ..."When the iron bird flies, when horses run on wheels,

If for the sake of argument a person is enlightened and they tell other people about it and teach them - that makes them authoritative but not necessarily authoritarian. If you believe he was not enlightened (without going into exactly what that means) then so what? If you think he was - then maybe his words are helpful.

You make the tastiest soups out of the simplest ingredients A7!! Kudos! ;)

Having read this thread I looked up Padmasambhava and his life story. Despite the problem of having to sort the factual from the mythic parts of his biography

The biography done by Taranatha is supposed to be the most actual. I've read it but can't remember much from it. And in any case I haven't read many stories about his life so I couldn't really compare.

a change which Padmasambhava famously predicted 1100 years earlier (approx.) in his poem ...which starts ..."When the iron bird flies, when horses run on wheels,

Well maybe but take it with a grain of salt, because this quote can't seem to find a source...

Edited by Pero

The biography done by Taranatha is supposed to be the most actual. I've read it but can't remember much from it. And in any case I haven't read many stories about his life so I couldn't really compare.

Most Tibetan hagiographies seem to mix factual history with tantric iconography - like being born 8 years old from a lotus etc. that's all I meant.

Well maybe but take it with a grain of salt, because this quote can't seem to find a source...

OK I thought it was by him ... I discussed this with a Lama who came out of Tibet around the same time as Dalai Lama and he said this quote was known in his youth. He actually said that the Lamas were to blame for not changing even though they knew their world was going to come crashing down. I think it is human nature to be complacent even in the face of the inevitable.

Edited by apepch7

Most Tibetan hagiographies seem to mix factual history with tantric iconography - like being born 8 years old from a lotus etc. that's all I meant.

Yeah I know, I think those are mostly termographies. Ok I just made that up, I mean they come from terma's which were written centuries after Padmasambhava lived.

Taranatha's is not so much like that. He wrote it from some old written accounts or something. Normal birth, I think as a prince.

OK I thought it was by him ... I discussed this with a Lama who came out of Tibet around the same time as Dalai Lama and he said this quote was known in his youth. He actually said that the Lamas were to blame for not changing even though they knew their world was going to come crashing down. I think it is human nature to be complacent even in the face of the inevitable.

No no, I meant that this quote doesn't have a written source. People say it was said by Padmasambhava, but it's kind of doubtful that this would've transmitted just orally for a millenia considering how many things are written down...

O my fortunate sons listen!

Even though that which is usually called "mind" is widely esteemed and much discussed,

still it is not understood or it is wrongly understood or it is understood in a one-sided manner only.

Since it is not understood correctly just as it is in itself,

there come into existence inconceivable numbers of philosophical ideas and assertions.

Furthermore, since ordinary individuals do not understand it,

they do not recognize their own nature,

and so they continue to wander among the six destinies (of rebirth) within the three worlds and thus experience suffering.

Therefore, not understanding your own mind is a very grievous fault.-quote. padmasambavha.

Also there exist others who, being attached to their own personal ideas and interpretations,

Become fettered by these attachments and so do not perceive the Clear Light.-quote.padmasambavha.

Thoughts in the past are clear and empty and leave no traces behind.

Thoughts in the future are fresh and unconditioned by anything.

And in the present moment, when (your mind) remains in its own condition without constructing anything,

This inherent self-awareness does not derive from anything outside itself.

This is the real introduction to the actual condition of things.-quote padmasambavha.

When you are introduced in this way through this exceedingly powerful method for entering into the practice,

(You discover directly) that your own immediate self-awareness is just this (and nothing else),

and that it has an inherent self-clarity, which is entirely un-fabricated.

The mind is just that which is thinking:

Since merely allowing (thoughts) to settle into their own condition, without trying to modify them in any way, is sufficient,

It is certain that the nature of the mind is empty and without any foundation whatsoever.

Your own mind is insubstantial like the empty sky.

You should look at your own mind to see whether it is like that or not.

There exist no phenomena other than what arises from the mind.

When you look upward into the space of the sky outside yourself,

If there are no thoughts occurring that are emanations being projected,

And when you look inward at your own mind inside yourself,

If there exists no projectionist who projects thoughts by thinking them,

Then your own subtle mind will become lucidly clear without anything being projected.

This self-originated Clear Light, which from the very beginning was in no way produced by something antecedent to it,

is the child of awareness, and yet it is itself without any parents--amazing!

How wonderful!

This immediate intrinsic awareness is insubstantial and lucidly clear:

Just this is the highest pinnacle of all views.

It is all encompassing, free of everything, and without any conceptions whatsoever:

Just this is the highest pinnacle among all meditations.

It is un-fabricated and inexpressible in worldly terms:

Just this is the highest pinnacle among all courses of conduct.

Without being sought after, it is spontaneously self-perfected from the very beginning:

Just this is the highest pinnacle among all fruits.

Born in Eastern Tibet in 1938, Namkhai Norbu is a recognized Dzogchen master and lineage holder who began teaching in the West in 1976. Dzogchen, or 'Great Perfection' is the central teaching of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism, and is considered by them to be the highest and most definitive path to enlightenment. This essay is included here as a precise and detailed instruction on the most essential aspect of Dzogchen practice, and is an excellent reference for anyone interested in meditation practice or spiritual discipline of any kind.

A practitioner of Dzogchen must have precise presence and awareness. Until one really and truly knows one's own mind and can govern it with awareness, even if very many explanations of reality are given, they remain nothing more than ink on paper or matters for debate among intellectuals, without the possibility of the birth of any understanding of the real meaning. In the Kun-byed rgyal-po, a tantra of Dzogchen, it is said that: "The Mind is that which creates both Samsara and Nirvana, so one needs to know this King which creates everything!" We say we transmigrate in the impure and illusory vision of Samsara, but in reality, it's just our mind that is transmigrating. And then again, as far as pure Enlightenment is concerned, it's only our own mind, purified, that realizes it.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/sea...abel/Luminosity

If the mind, the King that creates everything, is not left in its natural condition, even if one practices the tantric methods of the 'Developing' and 'Perfecting' stages, and recites many mantras, one is not on the path to total liberation.-quote.

Because all the various factors of dualistic vision, such as Samsara and Nirvana, happiness and suffering, good and bad etc., arise from the mind we can conclude that the mind is their fundamental basis. This is why non-distraction is the root of the Paths and the fundamental principle of the practice. It was by following this supreme path of continuous presence that all the Buddhas of the past became enlightened, by following this same path the Buddhas of the future will become enlightened, and the Buddhas of the present, following this right path, are enlightened. Without following this Path, it is not possible to attain enlightenment.-quote.

Sign in to follow this