Trunk

Taoist Internet Discussion addiction

Seems to me that the main cause of taoist-online-discussion-addiction-syndrome is that there is so little opportunity in 'real life' to discuss taoist cultivation. And that the obvious solution is to join, or start, local practice groups. Real satisfying community. (There's gotta be a better word than 'real', cause both are real, obviously I mean 3D in-the-flesh.)

fer example,

A friend of mine on the west side started a meditation group in his home. He turned his living room into a sort of zendo (zabutans & cushions, nice sitting environment) and people show up for silent sitting early every morning. Same could be done at a local yoga studio. Or with zhan zhuang, inside or outside.

Edited by Trunk

I have a lot of opportunity in real life to discuss Taoism and energy medicine and other things that come up. I think my addiction is due to 1) a sometimes stressful sometimes boring job, with spurts of free time between spurts of craziness 2) this ridiculous need to document my processes and 3) keeping weird hours

I used to do a little but the little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more.

I just keep trying to get a little better said a little bettter than before.

We've been dancin' with Mr. Browstone, He's been knockin'

He won't leave me alooooooooooooooone

no, no, no, he won't leave me alooone.

*Said in best high pitched Axle Rose voice*

I need to do my daily Taoist discussion post man..don't bum me out :)

actually I totally agree with you but I get alot of cool stuff from here and elsewhere that translates to "real life". Like Sean mentions a teachers name I don't know about..I then see an add for this teacher in a meditation magazine, I order the retreat CD's .

Of course the next stage would be actually taking the plunge and doing a retreat or something but who has time?

Lately I just like bangin' back ideas and stuff with some of you because we basically share alot of common practices. I am just getting into Sonnon's work and Sean has been into it for a couple years so can answer questions . I am not aware of too many people that are into retention except this small community. I mean, maybe if I really look hard around town I can find a Yoga group that has some of these elements but I already decided BJJ is my main body practice besides qigong.

But maybe your right. Maybe I should try to start up a qigong group myself. Actually I was thinking of doing Ken Cohen's qigong teacher training at some point since I always think I want to be really qualified before I start teaching people. Or maybe become a certified Kettlebell or Sonnen instructor and teach that and start blending qigong into the workouts like some of the Dragondoor crowd does.

Do you not visit with the Shing Yi group anymore? They seemed pretty cool but it was like $60 a month just to meet for a couple hours once a week which didn't seem worth it to me when BJJ is $100 a month for unlimited classes and frankly..more fun for me.

Edited by Cameron

Good point, I am planning to bring people together for this, but then the question become what do I teach people? Or do I use a video? Most efficiently so peple can take the tao and run with it.

I need two things in life: a cushy afterlife and high speed access. Everything else is gravy.

Great topic. I think something is only an addiction when it causes problems for you or others and yet you still compulsively do it regardless of repeated attempts to stop. Also sometimes a so-called addiction, for example let's say too much forum browsing/posting ... this could be just a symptom of a deeper addiction ... to procrastinating housechores or avoiding intimacy with your partner, etc. So you quit surfing but suddenly take up compulsive knitting or something else, heh, it's like pushing on different corners of a balloon. I think the Internet is about as much of an addiction to me as is having a warm comfortable bed to sleep in. Here is a great topic over on RMAX about addiction and peak performance that I imagine is related to all this somehow.

Seems to me that the main cause of taoist-online-discussion-addiction-syndrome is that there is so little opportunity in 'real life' to discuss taoist cultivation.  And that the obvious solution is to join, or start, local practice groups.  Real satisfying community.  (There's gotta be a better word than 'real', cause both are real, obviously I mean 3D in-the-flesh.)

fer example,

A friend of mine on the west side started a meditation group in his home.  He turned his living room into a sort of zendo (zabutans & cushions, nice sitting environment) and people show up for silent sitting early every morning.  Same could be done at a local yoga studio.  Or with zhan zhuang, inside or outside.

10109[/snapback]

I have experimented with a practice group (gigong) and with a discussion group (whereby all philosophical superfreaks were welcome to attend). Both efforts I made as temporary big toe in the bathwater type affairs. But now I think that if I do something similar it ought to be of indefinite duration--just a regular occasion to get together and practice together, to discuss; I knew that was an issue for people, that it be something that they could just come to without definite end.

Simon

In this context having a group of people to refer too, on the topic of taoist meditation, wherever I am is FUNDAMENTAL.

Cool.