Apech

Brain and biochemistry

I've read a lot on here and in links provided on some threads about the function of the brain and nervous system and the various biochemical systems in the body. Most of it is interesting and I see a lot to be gained by comparing physiology with the yogic/qi meridians and so on ... BUT I have always considered this body stuff as the result of energy/spiritual change while some of the discussion seems to suggest it is causal.

For instance if I change my mood or if I focus on a particular thought-form or whatever then I change my body chemistry. Or perhaps we could say that sex is energetic and that the bodily changes and so on are the result and not the cause. Obviously feedback occurs and so if you pump someone full of a particular chemical how they feel will change but as a living organism our spirit (for want of a better word) is primary and our body follows after. However I read a lot which seems to suggest that it is the other way round.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Yes, but I am going to keep them secret. :P

Sorry, I had to do that.

I am on the side of the physiological. I do agree with you in that we can couse changes in our body's chemistry through mind control but I think that diet, exercise, etc. are the most important.

Yes, drugs can be used to alter the chemistry of the brain which in turn will cause changes in our mood. But, of course, that's not as good as finding a good diet, etc. and finding the same results.

Peace & Love!

I've read a lot on here and in links provided on some threads about the function of the brain and nervous system and the various biochemical systems in the body. Most of it is interesting and I see a lot to be gained by comparing physiology with the yogic/qi meridians and so on ... BUT I have always considered this body stuff as the result of energy/spiritual change while some of the discussion seems to suggest it is causal.

For instance if I change my mood or if I focus on a particular thought-form or whatever then I change my body chemistry. Or perhaps we could say that sex is energetic and that the bodily changes and so on are the result and not the cause. Obviously feedback occurs and so if you pump someone full of a particular chemical how they feel will change but as a living organism our spirit (for want of a better word) is primary and our body follows after. However I read a lot which seems to suggest that it is the other way round.

Any thoughts?

It is both! Or neither! Some say the mind stems from an amalgamation of neural connections giving rise to a sense of self.That the mind is a merely a process of minding, flowing from one object to another.Others say the mind is non-local[intangible,primal,energetic] capable of stupendous feats! This kinda violates medical science!

It is both! Or neither! Some say the mind stems from an amalgamation of neural connections giving rise to a sense of self.That the mind is a merely a process of minding, flowing from one object to another.Others say the mind is non-local[intangible,primal,energetic] capable of stupendous feats! This kinda violates medical science!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madoDvtKEes This I mean!

Edited by enouch

I think it's more the body than people have realized, particularly the limbic system.

boom-chicka-pow!

:)

I think it's more the body than people have realized, particularly the limbic system.

Not sure what this means. The limbic system is just part of the brain ... if this is the seat of consciousness or responsible for the different states of consciousness then its a bit like saying the circuitry in my computer creates electricity isn't it?

I've been waiting for the advent of neoreductionism within spiritual diciplines like ours.

Allthough this is not a master(mind/spirit) vs servant(body) question, I question the whole explanatory matrix of neuro/biological paradigms within the energy arts. Our biological makeup, and our brain functioning is a determining factor in how we percieve reality. And as the unconscuious patterns stored in the limbic system definately plays a part in that, it's not controvercial to conclude that causal changes within our neurophysical makeup will create necessary changes in consciousness.

Allthough valid points in an of themselves, our neuro-phycial makeup really does not constitute anything essential. In the same way as the functioning of a lightbulb affects the nature of light. Or our scientific understanding of electricity and its causal effects affect the nature of its existence.

We may eat unhealthy, have bad posture, not do any exercise and still suddenly realize the nature of reality.

On the other hand, we may dedicate our entire life to resolve our unconscious conditioning, and through immense efforts transform our entire physical and energetic makeup, and as a consequece have ESP, healing powers and prolong our lifespans, yet never realize what we essentially are, never get there.

I remember a day in december about 8 years ago, as I taking my exam in Philosophy, sketching a rough outline of an analysis of Nietzshe's Zharatusta. I was about to write about the "God is dead" statement. It happened to be an old church that I was sitting in because of lack of space during exams at the University. As I turned my head, my eyes fell on a painting of Jesus and a lamb. In old letters it said (in Norwegian) "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"... Suddenly my mind stopped. Don't know why this story fits here. But I think it does.

h

Edited by hagar

Theres plenty about the body/mind in the west thats unmapped.

Why give a crap what people tell you? When the western medical system is often only meant to numb.

Experiment lol

Not sure what this means. The limbic system is just part of the brain ... if this is the seat of consciousness or responsible for the different states of consciousness then its a bit like saying the circuitry in my computer creates electricity isn't it?

Quite.

As far as I remember reading some years ago the human brain doesn't even have enough space to contain all the memories and then also be able to use the imaginative function. Below is an introduction to a science journal article where they are trying to hypothesize that 'memory' must have a magnetic function.

Despite theoretical and experimental efforts to model neuronal networks, the origin of cerebral cognitive functions and memory formation are still unknown.* Recently, we have proposed that in addition to chemical and electrical signals, the cellular components of the neocortex (especially neurons and astrocytes) may communicate with each other through magnetic signals generated by themselves. This magnetic communication would be the ground of short-term memory. In the present paper, we propose that brain magnetite may be a component of the mechanisms, conserved during evolution, to detect and transduce magnetic fields generated inside the cerebral neocortex. Specifically, we propose a possible role for magnetite nanoparticles, distributed through neuronal and astroglial membranes, in perception, transduction and storage of information that arrives to the neocortex.

*This is the usual scientific way of saying 'we haven't got a clue'.

People are always saying that whole 'brains already been mapped line. Mapped, maybe, explained, no. See above.