Sign in to follow this  
zazaza

Serious Breathing Problem (Forgetting to breathe?)

for a year i've been practicing mindfullness (as taught by Gurapana)

although i've been kind of lazy at that.

because my ego was totally kicking my ass the last few months, the only way to stay sane was to become more mindfull.

so this week i decided to become more mindfull and i can be mindfull of my body, breath and environment

24/7.

the problem is i keep forgetting to breathe which makes my heartrate skyrocket due to a lack of oxygen,

and it's really annoying!

-anyone else have this problem?

-is it possible that i have to consciously regulate my breath because otherwise

i'm so concentrated on everything that i forget to breath?

in vipassana meditation (=mindfullness) it is instructed not to regulate the breath,

and to just watch it happen.

when i watch it happening, it doesn't happen untill i consciously choose to.

i feel much better since becoming more mindfull:

-no more stress or anxiety at all

-mind is very calm

the only problem I have is forgetting to breathe?

maybe this problem has existed before i have become more mindfull,

i don't know. i think i have it since becoming more mindfull. (since this week)

Edited by zazaza

although i've been kind of lazy at that....

untill this week!

this week i decided to become more mindfull and i can be mindfull of my body, breath and environment

24/7.

the problem is i keep forgetting to breathe which makes my heartrate skyrocket due to a lack of oxygen,

in vipassana meditation (=mindfullness) it is instructed not to regulate the breathe, but to just watch it happen.

-mind is very calm

The interesting thing about breathing, compared to any other major life-sustaining function of the body, is that it has double controls -- in the lower brain and in the neocortex -- which means you are dealing with a function that can be involuntary or voluntary depending on which system you are using, the autopilot or the "manual" control. (It is not like that with, e.g., your liver or kidneys functions that don't have voluntary controls in the neocortex... not that these can't be created by alchemical cultivation, you can connect your brain beyond your wildest dreams and gain voluntary control over any organ-system-function... but "just naturally," they aren't there. The opposite example is one's ability to lie: there's controls for this in the neocortex, which Antonio Damasio the cognitive neuroscientist calls the "as-if loops," but not in the lower brain, where these loops don't reach -- they begin and terminate in the neocortex -- so one can voluntarily lie to other people and to one's own mind but not to one's own body.)

So your problem seems to be that your observing of a lower-brain-controlled mode of breathing interferes with this function, it's as though your brain decides, OK, he's watching, so he must be in control, so I can give up the autopilot mode... but then you don't pick up the "manual control" because you're just watching, and a miscommunication occurs between the lower and upper regions of your brain as to who's going to do the job.

To prevent this from happening, try a taoist mindfulness meditation instead of viprassana for a while. It is dual, yin-yang style, just the way natural breath is, and goes, "rest your mind on your breath, and rest your breath on your mind." Meditate on this line because I can't explain it further, then try doing it. This should eliminate the problem. Good luck!

although i've been kind of lazy at that....

untill this week!

this week i decided to become more mindfull and i can be mindfull of my body, breath and environment

24/7.

in vipassana meditation (=mindfullness) it is instructed not to regulate the breathe, but to just watch it happen.

-mind is very calm

Several months ago I and Inedible posted a free biofeedback device-software desighed to help with breathing.So do a search for EZ Air and here is a new link for the newly revised software.Alas...it is no longer free but if you do that search you can find the original program on the taobums forum.Check out the biofeedback of Europe homepage for EZ Air.

Edited by enouch

ONE THOUSAND QUESTIONS

The beginning of this year I had a problem with hyperventillation. (without anxiety; believe it or not!)

Watching my breath fixed it. So far, watching my breath to fix my "reverse hyperventillation" seems to be working pretty well.

So i guess you guys recommend me to control my breath 24/7.

Do you guys do that yourself?

Is there a set number of seconds i should aim for with each breath in and out?

Adjusted to my activity level ofcourse.

I know that the free ebook "Mindfullness in plain english" by henepola is VERY to the point and practical in it's explanation of samatha-vipassana meditation.

Is there a very to the point and practical book on TAOIST mindfullness which you guys can recommend me?

Hopefully a free one... because I'm a bum :lol:

I already read the tao te ching ofcourse... which is an awesome book.

P.S.: I did a search on EZ air but can't find it in this forum. Help?

Edited by zazaza

The beginning of this year I had a problem with hyperventillation. (without anxiety; believe it or not!)

Watching my breath fixed it. So far, watching my breath to fix my "reverse hyperventillation" seems to be working pretty well.

So i guess you guys recommend me to control my breath 24/7.

Do you guys do that yourself?

Is there a set number of seconds i should aim for with each breath in and out?

Adjusted to my activity level ofcourse.

I know that the free ebook "Mindfullness in plain english" by henepola is VERY to the point and practical in it's explanation of samatha-vipassana meditation.

Is there a very to the point and practical book on TAOIST mindfullness which you guys can recommend me?

Hopefully a free one... because I'm a bum :lol:

P.S.: I did a search on EZ air but can't find it in this forum. Help?

Help? Ah! a word I never refuse! Also look for EZ Air at the biofeedback of Europe foundation homepage.

http://www.transparentcorp.com/community/f...p;attach_id=376

Edited by enouch

Help? Ah! a word I never refuse! Also look for EZ Air at the biofeedback of Europe foundation homepage.

http://www.transparentcorp.com/community/f...p;attach_id=376 Free esp cards! )

esptest3.zip (1.16MB)

Number of downloads: 3 Intuition_Part1.pdf (191.75K)

Number of downloads: 8 Intuition_Part2.pdf (163.12K)

Number of downloads: 3

I registered on that site to get to the file, but i still get "[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment."

attach the files to this forum please!

Edited by zazaza

Guest winpro07

hypertension and anxiety can come from accumulated stress or emotion in the body. Some of us carry emotion and stress like sponges never aware of it till it all starts to come out

When it does come out there may be no apparent environmental reason. You may be perfectly calm at the time.

Some times there is a ciccup in the center channel as old fears are beginning to resolve mostly from the kidneys and the life gate or edrenal can zero down and you get a sudden "im gonna die"

kind of rush or just a lack of breath followed by what seems like an emergency "hyperventilation" session.

Drinking too much water can have a similar effect on breathing. The internal organs can become water logged/under oxygenated and sudden bought of hyperventilation or a feeling of not getting air and need to intentionally inflate the lungs can be caused by over consumption of fluids. excessive fluid in the stomach presses on the diaphram and ads to the sensation of lack-of-air. If there is too much salivation when the lack of air happens it may be too much water or fluids

Air swallowing as an unconscious habit that occurs with unexpressed emotion or anger also presses on the diaphragm and causes very similar feelings.

With some practices need for oxygen or breathing becomes reduced and sometime may stop.

is your body breathing in any others ways than the lungs when your notice the lack of breath?

do you feel dizzy or gasp or just get worried that there is less breath?

If there is fear present when it happens the fear may be very old and needing to release.

the heart resolves the fears stored in the kidney

In CA there have been several third party water testing facility that showed high levels of several prescription medications including anxiety meds. in the public water supply. The excuse given by the water management departments who got tested was that people are pissing out or dumping left over prescriptions down the toilet. The Meds have a very long shelf life and stay active even after water treatment and have been accumulating in higher and higher levels. Anti anxiety medication cause anxiety with withdrawal from them. Starbucks uses public water (chlorine damages kidneys) coffee (dehydration) and anti anxiety meds Yummmm!

put in some room for cream (steroids and bacteria.....it's a stress cocktail

Edited by winpro07

Guest winpro07

In CA there have been several third party water testing facility that showed high levels of several prescription medications including anxiety meds. in the public water supply. The excuse given by the water management departments who got tested was that people are pissing out or dumping left over prescriptions down the toilet. The Meds have a very long shelf life and stay active even after water treatment and have been accumulating in higher and higher levels. Anti anxiety medication cause anxiety with withdrawal from them. Starbucks uses public water (chlorine damages kidneys) coffee (dehydration) and anti anxiety meds Yummmm!

put in some room for cream (steroids and bacteria.....it's a stress cocktail

This is a world wide phenomenon. The denser the population the higher the stress the more prescriptions. The water in Bay Area is recycled 12 times before discarded (dumped in the ocean)

are the dolphins having panic attacks now too? Maybe that E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E sound they make is actually and anxiety attach brought on by lack of breath!

Edited by winpro07

Guest winpro07

The root of the problem is not in your mind. The kidney and adrenal have to be built up then breathing gets strong again. Public water is very acidic and dehydrating. When the kidney and adrenal are already depleted it takes very little to shut things down. Relaxation helps, but the body needs to be healed too.

Sign in to follow this